• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wants to wait, but this looks incredible. Can't wait to replay my favorite game ever.

Well, the first part of many.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
so we get the demo intro leaked .. we get the full demo play through leaked .. and we get the trailer that plays at the end of the demo leaked ...

and yet SE haven't even acknowledged the existence of the demo .. let alone announce a public release date.

fucking wow.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
so we get the demo intro leaked .. we get the full demo play through leaked .. and we get the trailer that plays at the end of the demo leaked ...

and yet SE haven't even acknowledged the existence of the demo .. let alone announce a public release date.

fucking wow.
I've only skimmed through the intro of the demo. Won't even check the rest. I refuse to see it. Just waiting for it to release to the public.

But yeh lol they might as well address the situation even via twitter and or release the damn thing already!!

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's New Years. As others have pointed out, it's doubtful anyone's "in the office" so to say.

The wait will unfortunately endure.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0jbj10C.gif

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017

fucking wow.
Do you work today?

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Speaking as someone whose experience with Final Fantasy VII was my first experience with both JRPGs and the Final Fantasy series as a kid, the game does look absolutely incredible but the plot retcons have me worried already.

It's like Squeenix wants to play it as safe as possible by avoiding any controversy and gutting part of what made the game's plot so gutsy back during its release.

One change reminds me of the alterations Lucas made to A New Hope to avoid any moral ambiguity (like Han no longer shooting first).

Two issues I had:

1. Them now framing it as Shinra's president who destroyed the first reactor is ridiculous. Post 9/11 world or not, having Avalanche, a radical environmentalist group, engage in direct action by destroying the reactor and then reflecting on their actions is something the game could've and should've explored in an age where FFVII's environmental message is more relevant than ever.

2. Cloud's response to Jesse in the first 5 minutes of the game when she asks about Tifa is a bit strange and has me worried that the game is going to start exploring Cloud's demons a bit too early before the game's even established his or Sephiroth's character.

Other than that it does look and sound amazing, and while I'm not someone who thinks FFVII's story is the holy grail of JRPGs like many fans do (well, kinda - it is my favourite JRPG along with IX lol), the alterations to the story, such as Sephiroth now being shown early, might ruin the excellent pacing and build-up that the original game's Midgar section had.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018
I just can't play this demo...

I looked at the trailer with my girlfriend and almost started crying. I would say I don't easily tear up but this remake have been my fantasy (pun intended) even before that PS3 trailer. The game was simply a huge part of my early years playing video games and had an impact on me then that no game have had since.

While I have always wanted this there was always the fear of it being something completely else than what I would want and I have since many years ago lost the faith I had in squaresoft back then.

This intro however coupled with what I have seen from the game it's like seeing my own remake come to life and I will not risk damaging the experience of playing the first episode by downloading this demo.

I am glad for anyone feeling excited about playing it but for me it's back to waiting for the game. I already done so for 20+ years so a few months should not be a problem. 🤔😅

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Speaking as someone whose experience with Final Fantasy VII was my first experience with both JRPGs and the Final Fantasy series as a kid, the game does look absolutely incredible but the plot retcons have me worried already.

It's like Squeenix wants to play it as safe as possible by avoiding any controversy and gutting part of what made the game's plot so gutsy back during its release.

One change reminds me of the alterations Lucas made to A New Hope to avoid any moral ambiguity (like Han no longer shooting first).

Two issues I had:

1. Them now framing it as Shinra's president who destroyed the first reactor is ridiculous. Post 9/11 world or not, having Avalanche, a radical environmentalist group, engage in direct action by destroying the reactor and then reflecting on their actions is something the game could've and should've explored in an age where the FFVII's environmental message is more relevant than ever.

2. Cloud's response to Jesse in the first 5 minutes of the game when she asks about Tifa is a bit strange and has me worried that the game is going to start exploring Cloud's demons a bit too early before the game's even established his or Sephiroth's character.

Other than that it does look and sound amazing, and while I'm not someone who thinks FFVII's story is the holy grail of JRPGs like many fans do (well, kinda - it is my favourite JRPG along with IX lol), the alterations to the story, such as Sephiroth now being shown early, might ruin the excellent pacing and build-up that the original game's Midgar section had.
I'm with you, mostly, but I think it's worth pointing out that,
unless I'm misremembering, there was always something fishy with the bomb in the original, right? Like Jesse was surprised it was so damn big. Now, the straightfoward explanation for that (honestly, the one I've always had) is as simple as them being a bunch of amateur, careless people with a noble goal.

But that kinda lends itself well enough to a retcon or a reimagination I guess, in that it could have been an inside job like the plate later on.

While I'm quite dissapointed with this (as expected as it was), AVALANCHE was ultimately going to still bomb a place potentially killing innocent people (plus Shinra employees) and, despite the consequences of the bombing being ultimately Shinra's, they're still willing to go through the second bombing mission. The conflict is still there with the conversation outside the burning building, and Barret is full on "the end justifies the means" while Cloud, in feigning this badass persona, ultimately agrees with that, as do Jesse, Biggs and Wedge if they're still doing their terrorism later on. Still, dissapointing, yeah.

With regards to the second point, I overall agree again. I hope it's not a "Sephiroth is a demonic angel!"/"Sephiroth is Cloud's fated rival and has always been!" wankfest. Unfortunately, it seems they're channeling those things. Hopefully not to an insane degree and relatively well written.
No info on whens the real demo gonna release yet is there
Nope. This thing got leaked on Sony's end apparently and the demo hasn't even been publicly acknowledged by S-E.

I really want this now, but I guess the anniversary (the 31st) is too juicy of a day to release this. I hope they at least announce whatever date soon.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Have only skimmed over the videos (I'm weak), but I don't think there's a second part, for some reason. It apparently jumps from part 1 to 3, so there's a chunk missing.

Not accounting for whatever part 2's length is, the demo is, at minimum, 30 minutes long.
Ok thank you, is the "end cutscene" or w/e i've heard ppl talk about included in part 3 video?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Ok thank you, is the "end cutscene" or w/e i've heard ppl talk about included in part 3 video?
Yeah, it's a pretty short trailer that doesn't really show much:
it's mostly what happens immediatly after the bombing mission. Shows some rather nice looking parts of Midgar too, many of which we had actually seen during 2015's PSX, so it's cool to compare them.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, it's a pretty short trailer that doesn't really show much:
it's mostly what happens immediatly after the bombing mission. Shows some rather nice looking parts of Midgar too, many of which we had actually seen during 2015's PSX, so it's cool to compare them.
Thank you! Is this outro video in the same youtube channel as the other 2 parts or are they scattered?

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Have only skimmed over the videos (I'm weak), but I don't think there's a second part, for some reason. It apparently jumps from part 1 to 3, so there's a chunk missing.

Not accounting for whatever part 2's length is, the demo is, at minimum, 30 minutes long.
I think in his comments for part 3 reason for no part 2 is because it's supposedly the E3 demo

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm not liking the retconning of you know what lol.

Man, SE you're going to make me say the original>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>remake.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not liking the retconning of you know what lol.

Man, SE you're going to make me say the original>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>remake.

There is no retconning. This is a new continuity and has nothing to do with following original verbatim outside of following the overall plotbeats. If your entire scale is dependent on things being the exact same..id check out before the game even comes out if this is how the demo gets you.