• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 24, 2021
First of all $80 for Final Fantasy III (aka FFVI) in 1994 with inflation would represent $147 dollars in 2021. That's an insane amount to pay for a regular edition of a game.

As a non techie and an illiterate to what makes a game and a console work I want to try and understand: why were games so expensive in the 90s? It wasn't because of the cost of developing them. AAA games back then cost a small fraction of what a AAA game does now. Was it all because of those stupid cartridges? Was it because of scale economy where videogames weren't AS popular as they're now and because they sold less amounts than today they'd have to charge more? We complain about $70 PS5 games now but back in the 16-bit era you could see games go as high as $90 (Phantasy Star 3 I'm looking at you).

Games have never been as expensive to make as what they are today but they're also the cheapest to buy as they've ever been. What happened?

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
> Was it all because of those stupid cartridges?

Yes

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Cartridges are significantly more expensive to produce, especially if it had to be high capacity and be able to store save game data

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because manufacturing cartridges was expensive. And games that had substantial battery backup systems like FFVI cost more than ones that didn't.

CDs taking over was a huge deal because CDs are INFINITELY cheaper to mass produce.

Oct 29, 2017
Every single game had to be printed onto a PCB and covered in a cart. That shits expensive even today. There's a reason the industry provided CDs and digital downloads as soon as it possibly could

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The tech was expensive and Nintendo controlled the production of carts, so they could practice high prices and get away with it.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there some games where the cartridge was basically a lower power console in itself have the game run properly? can't have been cheap.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Game cartridges were effectively expansion cards you inserted into the motherboard of your console.

For example the SuperFX chip was a whole second supplementary CPU to enable rudimentary 3D rendering in games like StarFox.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Wasn't there some games where the cartridge was basically a lower power console in itself have the game run properly? can't have been cheap.
Yeah this is my understanding. The base NES wasn't up to much on its own so the carts themselves had to include a bunch of hardware to give it an extra kick.

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
Because manufacturing cartridges was expensive. And games that had substantial battery backup systems like FFVI cost more than ones that didn't.

CDs taking over was a huge deal because CDs are INFINITELY cheaper to mass produce.
Why oh WHY could Nintendo think that sticking with carts for the N64 was going to make any business sense…. but that's a topic for another day.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

640px-SEG_DVD_430_-_Printed_circuit_board-4276.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why oh WHY could Nintendo think that sticking with carts for the N64 was going to make any business sense…. but that's a topic for another day.

It probably did in a way for them. They made a killing off of 1st party software during the N64 and it was the third parties that carried the risk of producing carts. Granted it also caused them to bleed marketshare, but tbh I'm not sure that wouldn't have happened anyway even if the N64 was CD based.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Talking completely out of my ass here, maybe licensing fees? They could charge third parties a lot more using their own proprietary media than Sony could when everyone was on CDs.

Of course, third parties flocked to the PS1 over the N64 in droves, and games on PS1 were cheaper anyway. I remember as a kid being annoyed that the Player's Choice N64 games were still $40 compared to Greatest Hits on PS1 being $20 (iirc, SRP for brand new PS1 games was $40-50, N64 was almost always a guaranteed $60).

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why the Square RPGs were so damn expensive when compared to N64 games. I would have assumed that larger games = higher prices since that was theoretically the rationale back in 1994-1995.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
There was more variable pricing back then. A lot of SNES games were in the $50-60 range. It wasn't only based on cart sizes, but also based on the expected popularity of the games. I remember my mom being shocked when Street Fighter 2 was $75, but that was a game with a lot of hype from the arcades.

Big RPGs like that were expensive though. I think Chrono Trigger was $85 at Toys R Us.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019

The official reason given by Nintendo was the speed, which was true to a degree. Many N64 games streamed assets throughout gameplay and couldn't have been made on CD-based consoles without major alterations.

The real reason has more to do with Nintendo not wanting to share revenue with the CD drive manufacturers, with the infamous cancelled Nintendo Playstation being only one of their early attempts at disc-based games. They also could continue charging higher royalties to 3rd party publishers who had to go through Nintendo to get their games manufactured.

I'm no expert, but that's the gist of it from what I understand.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
ROM chips are basically computer hardware, as opposed to how we usually classify them, as media. Magnetic strips or discs (tapes and floppys) or laser-reflective plastic (CDs) are a fraction of the price of actual semiconductor chips.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

Console manufacturers basically had a monopoly on cartridge production, so more money for them.

They also could have thought it was a bad experience. The SSD we are so proud of today is basically getting us back to cartridge level performance (I don't about the actual data rates).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody bought new games. Either rent, trade or buy used. I finished hundreds of games through trading.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
man I remember finally getting an NES, after all my friends did. And seeing the price on Super Mario 3, I just knew that game wasn't for someone like me. AKA broke and with parents that would laugh in my face at the idea of spending more than 30 dollars on a video game.

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
Talking completely out of my ass here, maybe licensing fees? They could charge third parties a lot more using their own proprietary media than Sony could when everyone was on CDs.

Of course, third parties flocked to the PS1 over the N64 in droves, and games on PS1 were cheaper anyway. I remember as a kid being annoyed that the Player's Choice N64 games were still $40 compared to Greatest Hits on PS1 being $20 (iirc, SRP for brand new PS1 games was $40-50, N64 was almost always a guaranteed $60).
I was the biggest Nintendo fanboy you can imagine but not even I could continue to ignore the stark contrast in prices you'd see walking down the videogame aisle in Toys R Us in the late 90s. Id see on one side N64 carts ranging from $60 to $80 and on the PS1 side games from $20 to $50. It was unsustainable for Nintendo and it's a small miracle the N64 did as well as it did in that market (which still meant a distant second place).

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I remember Virtua Racing for the MD being something like €100 in Escudos and some SNES games being €90 (Portuguese currency at the time).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah… It was the cartridges. Discs were way more cheaper to produce.

I also remember the early days of digital where pundits were saying savings would be passed on to the consumer because distribution costs and royalty splits with retailers would go down. We all know how that is working out.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
On Retronauts they've said something to the effect that it was only for bigger games like JRPGs that the price tag got bigger since they needed bigger chips for all the data they held.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
CITATION NEEDED.

Demonstrably false. What the hell?
At least I didn't know anyone who did. Video stores very rarely sold any new games, they usually opened up new games for renting or trade. Trade wasn't cheap either, for new games you had to bring old working game plus half of the price of a new game.

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
On Retronauts they've said something to the effect that it was only for bigger games like JRPGs that the price tag got bigger since they needed bigger chips for all the data they held.
An yes. The fabled MEGS that videogame magazines were obsessed about in the early 90s. The only reason I knew a game was 14 MEGS was because of EGM and I didn't know what the fuck a meg was. I only knew that 14 was bigger than 8.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Every single game had to be printed onto a PCB and covered in a cart. That shits expensive even today. There's a reason the industry provided CDs and digital downloads as soon as it possibly could

Close, but not quite.
(NERD MODE ACTIVATE)

- The game itself is burned onto one or more EPROMs (Electrically Programmable Read-Only-Memory, basically a write-once memory chip)
- the EPROMs are then mounted to a PCB (Printed Circuit Board, plenty of examples posted already), along with any other chips needed by the game (SuperFX chip, MMU, battery-backed SRAM for saves)
- the PCB is then packaged into the cartridge that you insert into your console.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
That's not true. JRPGs were often *more* expensive, but $80+ was the norm in a lot of cases.

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021
At least I didn't know anyone who did. Video stores very rarely sold any new games, they usually opened up new games for renting or trade. Trade wasn't cheap either, for new games you had to bring old working game plus half of the price of a new game.
I can assure you that everyone here who was playing games in the 90s bought new games sometimes. I certainly did. Yes I borrowed and rented a ton but I still got new games from time to time. At least 3 a year (end of school year, birthday, Christmas).

Oct 26, 2017
Just saying "cartridges" is an oversimplification because there were still budget games on cartridge. Yes they were considerably more expensive but there was also a lot variance on pricing if the game was expected to be popular, Street Fighter 2 on the SNES was a good example because playing that in our home was a big deal and for many it was well worth the huge (at the time) price point.

We're kind of seeing this now with Sony's first party offerings getting a price bump compared to many of the third party games.

Oct 26, 2017
Just saying "cartridges" is an oversimplification because there were still budget games on cartridge. Yes they were considerably more expensive but there was also a lot variance on pricing if the game was expected to be popular, Street Fighter 2 on the SNES was a good example because playing that in our home was a big deal and for many it was well worth the huge (at the time) price point.

We're kind of seeing this now with Sony's first party offerings getting a price bump compared to many of the third party games.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the Super FX chip was over twice as fast as the SNES' CPU, while the Super FX2 chip was over four times as fast.

Much more recently there was the raytracing demo cart thing that was basically a completely modern computer that only really used the SNES for video output.

OP
OP
Super Mega Man
Jun 24, 2021

SNES budget games were still $50, not like $20 as you'd see on PS1. Unless it was a years old game you'd rarely if ever see an SNES cart priced below $50 back when the console was new (before the N64 came out). And still this was 1994 money. $50 back then bought you like $100 worth of stuff today.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I don't remember snes games being that expensive. I was only a kid, but we didn't have a ton of money and I was always conscious of the price of things I asked for at Christmas or on my birthday. I remember snes games being $50 or $60. Are we sure there wasn't regional pricing differences in the US?