• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIII is perfection. Used to be my fav ff, until the ff game to end them all released. The true godly FFXV.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I assume there's a logical fantasy reason for a school hockey team to consist of over a hundred players...

DzPehPrX4AEiug_

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I love this game.

Loved it when it came out; loved it each replay every few years; loved how things that were baffling the first time through made perfect sense (well, *some* sense) on subsequent playthroughs. This and FF12; love them both even if most of the world seems to like them the least.

And I'll always love the OST.

I assume there's a logical fantasy reason for a school hockey team to consist of over a hundred players...

I enjoyed discovering that you could fight the Galbadian hockey-playing monsters on the rink right there in the Garden, but what is this "over a hundred" referring to?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a decent game with a complete overhaul of the battle system. Level scaling really kills it for me.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
This is one of the only mainline FFs I haven't played at least a little bit of, and I am so damn excited about finally playing when the remaster is out. The way people talk about all the weird shit makes it sound amazing and 1000% up my alley.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's true. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of people that love it, I'm saying there are also a lot of people that dislike it. It's a divisive game like FFXII (to a somewhat lesser extent than FFXII, mind you).

There are people who hate every FF game. But IX is commonly considered one of the best in the series despite that.

VIII is unquestionably the most divisive of the PS1 games. It's strange to even argue that.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this fabled FFIX divisiveness, because I've never seen it.

At worst, I sometimes see people say characters like Quina are pointless and the battle system is too slow, but otherwise I've never seen anyone go too hard in on it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

At worst, I sometimes see people say characters like Quina are pointless and the battle system is too slow, but otherwise I've never seen anyone go too hard in on it.

Chiming in, I hated 9. I hated the whole cast, especially Zidane and Vivi. Vivi I can understand people liking, I don't know how anyone could like Zidane as a main character. The best party member is only temporary. The battle system is extremely slow, and the character building with skills from weapons is a bore.

It's got good music though.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I love IX because of its medieval setting and the wars / battles happening over the land. The towns are cool to explore and feel alive, especially Treno and Lindblum. However, I too agree that the party isn't that interesting. I do appreciate some of the humor and more lighthearted elements though.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Chiming in, I hated 9. I hated the whole cast, especially Zidane and Vivi. The best party member is only temporary. The battle system is extremely slow, and the character building with skills from weapons is a bore.
If only others were as open as you, I've always felt like IX gets off too easy for being "traditional". Like people are afraid to say anything bad about it, lest the "Classic FF" vultures swoop in on them or something. Every game in the series is worthy of its own specific criticisms, there is no perfect Final Fantasy.

But I've never felt that way about VII or VIII, people aren't scared to shit on those games. VII has its graphics and VIII has its Junction/Drawing, like those are easy sticking points for a lot of people, but I don't regularly hear anything about IX criticized as openly.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If only others were as open as you, I've always felt like 9 gets off too easy for being "traditional". Like people are afraid to say anything bad about it, lest the "Classic FF" vultures swoop in on them or something. Every game in the series is worthy of its own specific criticisms, there is no perfect Final Fantasy.
Yeah, I think it has more good in it overall compared to other FFs. But each definitely has something or another that is either a flaw or an inconvenience , depending on folks opinions. I personally don't like how FFVI splits the party at moments, and FFVIII levels up enemies as well, on top of the junction system which i personally think is terrible. I kinda like what XV did for the draw system. XIIIs linearity and weapon customization... But super fun battles and paradigms... etc

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I really wasn't into the level of suffering that FF9 inflicted on its main cast, and I thought the villains were pretty lame also.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I can't stand IX. Everything felt so tropey to me. Granted I haven't played it since like 2000, but from memory:

I hated almost the entire cast.
  • Zidane was annoying and pushy and I just didn't see any charm to his personality at all. I also couldn't figure out why he was any kind of "leader".
  • Vivi was cute, but at a certain point I felt like he was too whiney for too long. I never felt like he actually grew.
  • Freya was a balla.
  • Steiner was like that annoying oaf character, except he wasn't endearing.
  • I never bought that Garnet actually had any emotional connection to the Queen. This is probably more because the design for the Queen is so monstrous that I couldn't see her as an actual person.
  • Eiko's was completely forgettable to me.
  • Quina exists, and unfortunately I've never really liked blue magic.
  • I actually like Armarant's attitude towards things, but his reason for joining the group was super lame.
I did not like the weapon/magic learning system because I felt like in order to permanently learn spells you had to grind every single time. Even in the beginning I felt like I was forced to wear outdated weapons and armor because if I upgraded them, I couldn't keep the spells. This just compounded for the whole duration of the game, and I felt like I could never get ahead of it.

I legit felt like I never understood the trance system.

I felt like the art style would have been great for a cartoon, but because of the polygonal limitations I legit could not tell what I was looking at all the time. I never had any idea if I was talking to someone's face or backside. I remember thinking this within 5 minutes of the game with the Tantalus troupe. I had no idea what these characters looked like, so it became hard to attach to them at all. (this probably wouldn't be so bad on a HD remake or whatever)

As someone who really gets into the music of these games, and can remember almost the entirety of the OSTs of FFVII, FFVIII, Super Mario RPG, and Crono Trigger. I legit cannot remember a single song from FFIX.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I felt like the art style would have been great for a cartoon, but because of the polygonal limitations I legit could not tell what I was looking at all the time. I never had any idea if I was talking to someone's face or backside. I remember thinking this within 5 minutes of the game with the Tantalus troupe. I had no idea what these characters looked like, so it became hard to attach to them at all. (this probably wouldn't be so bad on a HD remake or whatever)
The new version actually touched up the major characters' models.
cQC9KPs.png

GH40mu1.png

closer

Oct 25, 2017
God. It's so good. Playing this game is like trying to explain a dream.

hell yeah

just played through that part in mgs2 where the colonel says shit at you, and then raiden starts normally talking to rosemary after walking back and forth in that corridor, still makes me feel like im hallucinating/sane in an insane world. the way snake just appears and nonchalantly starts talking to you

closer

Oct 25, 2017
we should all strive to be more like ferrio

woops dbl post because i was eager to praise the gawd

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IX Is pretty good but a lot of people have some nostalgia googles going on simply because it was "The FF that went back to being fantasy instead of modern". It's a good game and far better than the disaster that XIII and XV were, but it's by no means "one of the most beloved".

By sheer numbers its VII.

Although VIII is my absolute favorite. The whole game was just perfect for me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My problem with the twist is that it doesn't really mean anything in the end.

The team just finds out that they knew each other as kids and it doesn't change or mean anything save for Cid's relationship with Edea and explaining some of Irvine's weirder elements. It's the game's biggest twist and it has no impact on the actual main character.

Contrast with FFVII where Tifa's reluctance to dispel Cloud's fiction is something that's a key element to her character that she has to overcome in her own arc.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
definitely my least favorite ff, and the only ps1 rpg i owned that i sold as soon as i beat it, as the mere idea of replaying it after i beat it was impossible. I still have zero desire to ever replay it. i dont begrudge those who love it, i just dont understand it. same with chrono cross, though i did enjoy that game to an extent.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FF8 definitely had some weirder story elements (Or plot twists if you want to call them that).

Like, the whole "we grew up as orphans together but don't remember" thing is weird, and is really hard to relate to. The only thing it actually does is help you better understand Squall's isolation since he was pretty much abandoned several times as a child.

Which, of course, brings us to the better plot twist that Laguna was Squall's father. That one takes a bit of digging, and is super easy to miss when you play the game, but I thought it was a very interesting component. Especially if you put together the idea that Laguna and Julia would both go on to have children that would end up falling in love themselves.

Which makes the third plot twist, all the more tragic. Look, I know this shit isn't technically confirmed, and even Square flat out said it isn't true original, but have sense come around to the idea. But I still 100% believe that Squall died in the Time Compression and that when we see him at the end of the credits, that is legit a peak at Rinoa's first step into madness.

Oct 27, 2017
If only others were as open as you, I've always felt like IX gets off too easy for being "traditional". Like people are afraid to say anything bad about it, lest the "Classic FF" vultures swoop in on them or something. Every game in the series is worthy of its own specific criticisms, there is no perfect Final Fantasy.

But I've never felt that way about VII or VIII, people aren't scared to shit on those games. VII has its graphics and VIII has its Junction/Drawing, like those are easy sticking points for a lot of people, but I don't regularly hear anything about IX criticized as openly.

I'm not a big fan of 9 either. I think its the worst of the ps1 trilogy. 8 has the best music of the trilogy, with 7 behind it and 9 you can easily tell that Uematsu was starting get bored with the series. I played 9 around when it came out, again a few years later on my ps2, and I recently played it again last year. I still dont get why its regarded as one of the best in the series. Its just OK.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Lol @ field models is indicative of graphics as a whole. I never gotten that argument once I was 17 and older.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Squall is Dead is probably just an incredibly silly fan theory with no basis in fact (also: Paul is Dead) but it is extremely fun to think about and makes some of the insanity of the end of the game make sense....sorta.

Last edited:

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Squall is Dead is probably just an incredibly silly fan theory with no basis in fact (also: Paul is Dead) but it is extremely fun to thing about and makes some of the insanity of the end of the game make sense....sorta.

For the record, I subscribe to the "Squall dies being unable to get back to his own time" theory. Which is a precursor to the Rinoa is Ultimecia theory.

I've never been a fan of the Squall actually died at the end of Disc 1 stuff.

And there is plenty of evidence for the former. Or even if not evidence, there are plenty of things that some would consider foreshadowing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I subscribe to the "Squall dies being unable to get back to his own time" theory. Which is a precursor to the Rinoa is Ultimecia theory.

I've never been a fan of the Squall actually died at the end of Disc 1 stuff.

And there is plenty of evidence for the former. Or even if not evidence, there are plenty of things that some would consider foreshadowing.

It's been confirmed as non-canon by the FFVIII Ultimania.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm assuming that is the source. The problem though, is that the source may be outdated. Since that Ultimania has come out, Square has started flirting with the idea of Rinoa being Ultimecia themselves. I never played it, but I recall someone saying that Ultimecia has some attacks in FF Dissidia names after Rinoa's weapons in FFVIII, or something along those lines.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming that is the source. The problem though, is that the source may be outdated. Since that Ultimania has come out, Square has started flirting with the idea of Rinoa being Ultimecia themselves. I never played it, but I recall someone saying that Ultimecia has some attacks in FF Dissidia names after Rinoa's weapons in FFVIII, or something along those lines.
All of Ultimecia's unique weapons are Rinoa's weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.