• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After more than a decade of fans borderline harassing modders for a mod that sets the game to 60fps, it has finally happened. The mod has been released in beta, and can be downloaded by anyone.

In case you didn't know, the original Final Fantasy 7 ran at a whopping 15fps. That's right, not even 30. The only exception to that was the UI, which ran at 60fps. But everything else was 15fps. As for the PC release, it was even worse: 15fps for the UI! This made the Tifa and Cait Sith limit breaks hell to do.

Now, everything is 60fps.

Showcase of the mod. I have timestamped it.

youtu.be

Final Fantasy 7 - 60FPS Mod Official Release

Skip to install instructions 9:30 ⬇⬇⬇ IMPORTANT! ⬇⬇⬇ YES IT WORKS WITH STEAM! I LITERALLY SAY IT IN THE VIDEO AT 10:20"7th Heaven converts your Steam ...

My next playthrough will be sweet.

EDIT: if you are wondering, yes these mods are compatible with the Steam release of FF7. That's the version that everyone uses as it's the most convenient. Download and install the game from Steam (preferably outside of Program Files, that folder can cause bugs to occur with mods), download and install 7th Heaven from this link, and browse the catalogue from inside the mod manager.

Last edited:

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, I literally just bought FF7 on PC with the intent to do a lightly modded playthrough. Any reports of major problems with this?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I thought this was about the garbage PC port of FF7R, but this is really cool all the same (and makes more sense)

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
FF7 was 15 Fps on PS1? For real?
battles I can remember being choppy but overworld stuff?

EDIT This is the PC version not PS1, can you edit the title and the Op please

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Damn I thought I loved FF7 the dude in the video is practically crying over this patch.

Only thing I saw that was a little weird was when Cloud moves back to the line during battle, it's like he kind of disappears

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Neat

But honestly, the weather system, lighting and... voice acting (???) mods look more impressive.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is major.

What are the best "2022" steps to make the Steam version perform better? Is there a single executable file with a "top recommended things"?
Download the latest version of 7th Heaven, the mod manager, from here:

github.com

Releases · tsunamods-codes/7th-Heaven

The Ultimate Mod Manager for Final Fantasy VII PC. Contribute to tsunamods-codes/7th-Heaven development by creating an account on GitHub.

You can get most of the mods from the built-in catalog. Here are the mods that I am using, for reference (only download the ones that I have turned "on"; the others are old/deprecated):

U0lzbdH.jpg

The only mod from that list can isn't in the catalog is NinoStyle's chibi models, which can be downloaded on Nexusmods, here:

www.nexusmods.com

User :: ninostyle

This user has not added anything about themselves.

I might make a general modding thread at some point. For now, you can tag me in this thread if you want some help running things.

Also note: 7th Heaven finally has controller support, so no need to use DS4Windows or AntiMicro anymore.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think what this news is revealing to me most of all is that I am apparently totally fine with 15fps content.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Neat. I did my first playthrough a couple years ago after finishing Remake. Used the background mods as well as the Beacause mod which also let me play battles at 60fps

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
This is amazing! I'll definitely check this out when I get around to replaying it.

Hopefully the same can be done for VIII and IX at some point.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There's a load of stuff about an audio engine in the github, does this make it no longer compatible with MIDI?

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
So many old games would be greatly elevated just by being 60 FPS.

I tried to play FF8(steam version) in the past, while i liked the game, i simply couldn't endure how choppy it was in battle.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

github.com

The Ultimate Mod Manager for Final Fantasy VII PC. Contribute to tsunamods-codes/7th-Heaven development by creating an account on GitHub.

You can get most of the mods from the built-in catalog. Here are the mods that I am using, for reference (only download the ones that I have turned "on"; the others are old/deprecated):

U0lzbdH.jpg

The only mod from that list can isn't in the catalog is NinoStyle's chibi models, which can be downloaded on Nexusmods, here:

www.nexusmods.com

I might make a general modding thread at some point. For now, you can tag me in this thread if you want some help running things.

Also note: 7th Heaven finally has controller support, so no need to use DS4Windows or AntiMicro anymore.

I love you. Thank you.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine, it never really bothered me but yeah it's an improvement

Those other mods are horrendous though
Yeah I really don't like the voice acting mod or some of these UI mods.

Here's a video I took last year of the game, with my selection of mods. I think it looks much better, especially the UI.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy VII New Threat | Game Type B | Remixed gameplay, scenes and graphics | Part 01

This is the PC release of Final Fantasy VII running several mods. List of included mods:-New Character Models, by Ninostyle-SYW, by Satsuki-New Threat, by Se...

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I have the game on PC, but most recently played it on the Switch, but now I might go back to PC to load up some of these mods...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really don't like the voice acting mod or some of these UI mods.

Here's a video I took last year of the game, with my selection of mods. I think it looks much better, especially the UI.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy VII New Threat | Game Type B | Remixed gameplay, scenes and graphics | Part 01

This is the PC release of Final Fantasy VII running several mods. List of included mods:-New Character Models, by Ninostyle-SYW, by Satsuki-New Threat, by Se...
Changing the chibi models doesn't seem worth it when the chibi FMVs are still going to look the same.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot for the life of me fathom how 60fps makes the game look/play any better. It's like uncanny valley of smoothness, while offering literally 0 gameplay benefit.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
How come it took so long? I feel like this must have been extremely hard to implement for some reason.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot for the life of me fathom how 60fps makes the game look/play any better. It's like uncanny valley of smoothness, while offering literally 0 gameplay benefit.
PC version menus ran at 15fps, which means commands aren't chosen nearly as fast as the original version and certain limit breaks aren't all that possible to pull off either since they're timing based and command based. There's plenty of gameplay benefit.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Changing the chibi models doesn't seem worth it when the chibi FMVs are still going to look the same.
I mean, 99% of the time you will spend looking at this game will be done looking at the real-time models. The CG cutscenes are few and far between.

Besides, that's rather moot now because there is currently a mod being worked on right now that will add the Ninostyle models to the CG cutscenes. Here's a sneak peak:

dumcrush.gif

How come it took so long? I feel like this must have been extremely hard to implement for some reason.
Basically, the game runs on an extremely ancient, and janky, engine. Literally two decades of modding the PC release of the game lead up to this moment lol. It is simply this hard to mod the game. It's much better now though, because the tools have made dramatic progress. There has been more progress in the last three or so years than there have been in all the years before that.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
That's the way the PC version is. 30 exploration, 15 in combat.

Same with a decent handful of FF games.

There were differences between the 1998 and 2012 pc releases iirc.
The PS1 technically ran at 60 across the board, duplicating frames where necessary, which is why the UI was 60 but the combat and movement looked less.
The original PC port just frame-limited battles to 15fps which affected the menus too, most noticeable with the slots mechanic of Cait Sith, Tifa, and the Battle Arena.

TLDR: OG PC port was inferior to PS1 version in multiple ways

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
whenever i see modded videos of FF7 i feel like the only one mindbroken by how awful it all looks, like i'm watching a shitpost

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
whenever i see modded videos of FF7 i feel like the only one mindbroken by how awful it all looks, like i'm watching a shitpost
There are a lot of bad-looking mods out there, some that are puzzingly popular. The Ninostyle models, as well as the UI from Finishing Touch and Enhanced Stock UI look good.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

github.com

U0lzbdH.jpg

www.nexusmods.com

guess ill give it another chance, tho i'm still conflicted about doing new threat as a first playthrough, ahahahah

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So IIRC there have been a couple different versions for PC released, does this work with the one currently on steam or the original or both?

Or am I just making things up and they are all the same?