• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are very endearing in spite of the rampant anime bullshit. Aerith gets the most out of the Remake, followed by Wedge and Jessie. Barret is still an embarrassing caricature but he at least has some heartfelt moments and pearls of wisdom.

Unfortunately, the Turks seem like they were ripped straight out of Organization XIII. I could do with about ten times less "fleshing out" of those clowns.

Wut? Turks were done amazingly well in this remake. The whole top plate battle were incredible with the all interaction in battle.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the original, but the characters are definitely the highlight of what I've played of the Remake. They're all much more multi-faceted than I imagined they would be.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Sums up my thoughts as well. Tifa was very disappointing in a lot of unnecessary ways. Her characterization and role exist to serve Cloud, rather than herself... and given what we know of the OG game, her trajectory could get even worse.

It's sad and frustrating they aren't treating her with the same care and reverence they are the other characters. Where was her confrontation with President Shinra, or Sephiroth...? They keep hinting at this trauma she's endured, waiting to reveal it later on as in the OG... but that renders her passive for this game in a way that strains credulity.

Don't get me started on how many times she's lying prone on the ground shouting Cloud's name, when she's ostensibly an inhumanly strong badass.
Pretty much.

I think her worst moment by far was the entire plate collapsing section. You would think the scene setting up her joining late is for the purpose of saving Cloud but instead she almost plummets to her death and needs to be saved lmao

I still can't believe anyone would defend what happens at the top. She gets knocked down and has to call out to Cloud to help her up. Apparently she becomes useless when knocked down and needs Cloud to say her name and hold her so she can do the simple act of moving.

All they had to do was have her rush to where Cloud is and save him(she kicked a shit ton of pipes away how about she kicks one at the helicopter?) then after the plate is confirmed dropping you can have that scene of Cloud pulling her away. Instead it's three scenes of her being absolutely useless. I'm not even sure why some are denying Tifa having feelings for Cloud and displaying jealousy towards Aerith. She does it in the sewers and the train graveyard. Even her dream sequence comes back to Aerith giving Cloud the flower.

It's clear by some of the responses in this thread that some people are excusing it away due to being shippers and not being able to view her character critically. If people like how she was presented that is their right but hand waiving criticism as "omg u just jealous shippers" is so embarassing. Especially when I'm sure plenty of the criticisms comes from people who prefer Cloud and Tifa.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's really crazy how the final 5% of the game twists what people felt about the entire experience. I've had convos with friends that don't know what they feel about the game or where it's going, but remind them that the large majority of FFVIIR had amazing visuals, great characters and top notch combat. They immediately realize how much the ending soured a lot of that.

It's the big reason why I don't agree with the devs in making an ending like this. For as many of us that enjoy the craziness and speculation theorycrafting, there's just as many who need solidity. Feels like SE fans have been really burned by previous FF titles and KH over the past many years, where there's now a lack of trust even if the majority of the product was high quality.

This is a multi-chapter game. I don't think it's entirely fair to judge a fraction of the remake without the context of the remaining parts.

The whole product could end up better than people assumed it would, or, it could turn out to be worse than anticipated. We just don't know yet.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It's really crazy how the final 5% of the game twists what people felt about the entire experience. I've had convos with friends that don't know what they feel about the game or where it's going, but remind them that the large majority of FFVIIR had amazing visuals, great characters and top notch combat. They immediately realize how much the ending soured a lot of that.

It's the big reason why I don't agree with the devs in making an ending like this. For as many of us that enjoy the craziness and speculation theorycrafting, there's just as many who need solidity. Feels like SE fans have been really burned by previous FF titles and KH over the past many years, where there's now a lack of trust even if the majority of the product was high quality.
While I liked and enjoyed the game and believe they've done an amazing job, the ending was...

Let's just say, I'm not surprised people aren't too thrilled. The friends I've spoken to all have different reactions. Some are pissed and believe they dropped the ball, and I get why they'd feel that way.

Some are excited at the prospect of a
potential sequel
(your spoiler-cast video with EZA actually made me somewhat more excited, so thanks for that and great job).

Honestly, with SSD's becoming a standard next-gen (I believe and HOPE the sequels will be next-gen only...), all I want is an open-world with a blazing fast Highwind whilst maintaing the fidelity of/surpassing that of part 1... Is that too much to ask?

I don't know if you've seen the video below, but as a FF7 fan... This shit will have your imagination running wild - It's what I want, gameplay-wise, for future instalments (referring specifically to vehicles and the size of the World).

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and my fav characters are easily aerith and barrett when he is good , with Jessie not too far behind. I didnt play OG FF7 and have only seen summarys of it on youtube, so a lot of nuance was lost obviously , but was Tifa more interesting in the original? She was kind of just there in this game , and so the whole Tifa vs Aerith debate was just not a thing for me here.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I know where all high on FF7 Remake but this is the worst post ive seen in a while. FFX has fantastic characters and I dont know if we played the same game at all. In fact this might be the first post ive ever seen saying FFX has unlikable characters. To each his own I guess.

I loathe X. Auron is the only character I truly liked, with Rikku being interesting. Tidus is worthless, Yuna has the personality of a wet paper bag, Wakka is an exasperating mess of stereotypes...

I just can't with X.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I'm new to the franchise, and I fell absolutely in love with all the characters. Cloud is a dick but also obviously tryhard where it's kinda cute, Tifa is warm and caring, Aerith is quirky in the best way, and Barret is endearing and soft hearted (even if the execution has me side eyeing a bit but we won't get into that here)

I'm so excited to see how Tifa and Cloud's relationship blossoms, how Aerith reveals more of what's up her sleeves, how Barret will perhaps take a more nuanced view of the world, etc.

I want more of these guys, and I can't wait to get it.

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's more than fair to judge Remake by itself since the developers have stated multiple times that while these games will be connected, they want each to stand on their own as a complete and whole game. Future context might help, but at this point, I'm judging the game for what it is as a single entry.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
only one that kinda sorta chafes me is Tifa. i'm a fan of the actress on GLOW but way she's directed here it's kinda "gee golly i'm a rote jrpg romantic interest"

maybe i'm getting lost in my head canon but i thought she was the more rough around the edges contrast to Aerith, or maybe they could've expounded on that route since this game isn't particularly conservative with the source material

a nitpick though. i don't care much either way and yeah they pretty much got it right

Oct 26, 2017
I love everyone in the Remake except Tifa. Aerith and Barret are the standouts. Aerith is sassy and funny but also we learn of her abusive past and loss of family. Barret is passionate for his cause and sweet with his friends and child. This was only part 1 and they did an amazing job taking these great characters and giving them the care and focus they deserve.

Tifa I couldn't believe how bad she was. They actually managed to make her worse than the original game. She is constantly a damsel in distress despite the game saying she is strong and a badass. I see people trying to pretend that Tifa saves Cloud an even amount of times when really she saves him once on her own and helps out when Aerith saves him. The other time she is supposed to save him she is failing and Barret has to help. There might be one more time but I can't remember it.

Cloud has to protect or rescue her almost 10-15 times. One of these moments should have been HER saving him which is her joining Cloud to stop the plate collapsing but instead the stairs get blown off and Cloud has to reach out and grab her. Even worse is during the fight at the top she gets knocked down and has to call out for Cloud to help her get up. Then finally once the plate is confirmed dropping she just sits there and Cloud has to carry her away before she dies.

That's three moments in one section alone. Then you have the train scene where she is pushed out by Cloud, the entire train graveyard where Cloud is having to save both girls constantly, the grapping gun incident where Tifa somehow forgets she has her own and needs Cloud to save her but suddenly remembers to use it and save Barret. In the final battle a whisper attacks her and Cloud has to protect her. Leslie has to protect Tifa. It's so frequent in the game it makes her a joke.

Then to make things even worse any motivation or reason she SHOULD have is removed to make her the character questioning being in AVALANCHE. She doesn't even participate until the second mission and is already acting like she is newer to the group than Cloud yet doubting their choices. We never get to see her anger at Shinra and Sephiroth so it makes her this boring character who had plenty of great reasons to want revenge at Shinra and they could have finished her growth by having her question her feelings of revenge and how it affected those who didn't deserve it.

Her gameplay is the only positive I can give. Monk classes are good shit and she is also OP like Aerith.

Cloud is great and pretty much exactly what I remember from the original. Cocky but also cold to people. Has his dorky aspects but once he warms up to people is caring and charming.
I'm really glad to see this, because I thought I was off the deep end feeling that Tifa was a step backwards.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They basically made me like all the main characters. I never cared too much about them in the original back then, even if I always loved the game. Absolutely loved the japanese voices in the remake too. I mean, I use japanese voices in almost every japanese game, but I thought they have done an especially extra good job here.

Oct 26, 2017
They basically made me like all the main characters. I never cared too much about them in the original back then, even if I always loved the game. Absolutely loved the japanese voices in the remake too. I mean, I use japanese voices in almost every japanese game, but I thought they have done an especially extra good job here.
If I play again, I might try Japanese. I mostly liked the voices, but some did nothing for me. Like Sephiroth, who sounds like he was directed to sound like a 90s cartoon villain. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but...

edwardvh

Dec 11, 2018
I don't think Tifa is a step backwards, she simply is not as improved as Aerith and Barret are. Because these both steal the show. I could not care less about Aerith in the original and now its my fav character.

Also, villains are very cartoony but loved the speech that president Shinra gives to Barret about how Shinra actually improved life of thousands of people, with Barret looking kind of confused for a second.

As someone said, they made a very MCU movie improvement in the game specially between characters interaction.

This remake made me very happy and I was not that interested. I think it is because, new Nomuresque additions aside, the characters became great pieces of the show, too.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Apparently Tifa is otaku bait because Cloud is handsy with her. Well its more like they're handsy with each other the entire game. Lets just ignore how they improved on her characterization and her motives within Avalanche. How despite working at the bar, decides to help the people of Sector 7 with their problems. How she's thinking about Marlene the entire time in Ch 11. How quick she was to befriend Aerith without any drama.

The scene with the plate was to show how devastated she was about what happened, that she cares that much. It wasn't just a simple damsel in distress waifu moment.

Both Cloud and Tifa suffered the same trauma and are trying to recover from it in their own ways. She doesn't just serve Cloud's character any more than Aerith ends up a guilt trap for him later on.

I'm just reading this stuff as people are salty that they added so much non optional or hard to miss shippy scenes with her while forgetting that Cloud himself flirts like a hound dog with Tifa right from the beginning and is the one who ends up jealous like the scenes with the item shop guy.

As for Aerith, I think people are missing out on some of the avoidance she does with her positivity to mask how she's feeling. We get a glimpse of it at the start of ch 17 until Tifa pulls her out of it.

I do feel like Aerith is skirting manic pixie dream girl just a tiny bit but I expect them to definitely tone that down in part 2 with the backstory stuff.

They're both already much better written at this point than in the OG.

I personally align with this perspective.

For my personal take, I really enjoyed Tifa. She masks her trauma and pain by being a caretaker. She's always looking out for others. She protects the Sector 7 slums, handles odd jobs, Manages the bar, handles the day to day activities and finances of Avalanche, helps watch Marlene, takes care of Marco (hooded guy), takes care of Clouds living arrangements and connects him with the people of the Sector 7 slums, puts herself in danger to grab the shinra key card, runs ahead of Cloud and Barret when they ascend the stairs in the Shinra building, is the first person to slide down the pipes in the second reactor, chooses to take on the danger of appeasing Don Corneo outside the purview of the team, drives the truck for the crew during the Midgar escape sequence, and even became a god tier hand to hand fighter. She's endlessly strong, but really does all of it because she loves everyone deeply. She wants to protect those she loves, even if it costs her. She can't stand how everyone constantly has to put themselves in harms way just to achieve their ambitions, however noble they are. She's strong because she doesn't want to lose anyone.

Tifa, in FF7:R, overall is a deeply complex character to me. Her relationship with Cloud is very intriguing to me as well. Barrett is a character who is too caught in his anger and ambition to see Cloud for who he really is at first. Aerith immediately sees past Cloud's hardened facade and knows that he's really a kind and caring person underneath. Jesse, Biggs, and Wedge see Cloud as a cool merc who's a bit of a dork and is trying a little too hard to be "cool". Tifa, however, knows Cloud better than anyone else, and thus sees him more deeply than anyone else. I think Tifa sees that Cloud is lost and hurting inside. Though Tifa has romantic feelings for Cloud, I'm not sure if she's really in love with him or anything yet. Her and Cloud share the pain of losing everyone they've known and loved in Nibelheim (though she isn't yet aware that he was actually there during the incident). Tifa might feel that Cloud is a bit of a kindred spirit, and we can tell that she wants him near. She loves and cares for Cloud and wants him to be safe like the others in the Sector Seven slums, even wanting him to stay their (near her). She's trying to hold on to everyone she can because she doesn't want to experience losing them like everyone in Nibelheim.

Tifa has to constantly be strong for everyone else even though their actions, and the actions of Shinra, constantly hurt her. Her desire to live a normal life where everyone is safe and happy is constantly challenged. I think her emotional scene with Cloud in chapter 14 is an illustration of the fact, just like any human, her facade can only take so much damage and she wants others to see how much she's hurting, how much she cares, and how ultimately powerless she feels at times. Letting her guard down with the one person that could understand half of what she's been through makes complete sense.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I love everyone in the Remake except Tifa. Aerith and Barret are the standouts. Aerith is sassy and funny but also we learn of her abusive past and loss of family. Barret is passionate for his cause and sweet with his friends and child. This was only part 1 and they did an amazing job taking these great characters and giving them the care and focus they deserve.

Tifa I couldn't believe how bad she was. They actually managed to make her worse than the original game. She is constantly a damsel in distress despite the game saying she is strong and a badass. I see people trying to pretend that Tifa saves Cloud an even amount of times when really she saves him once on her own and helps out when Aerith saves him. The other time she is supposed to save him she is failing and Barret has to help. There might be one more time but I can't remember it.

Cloud has to protect or rescue her almost 10-15 times. One of these moments should have been HER saving him which is her joining Cloud to stop the plate collapsing but instead the stairs get blown off and Cloud has to reach out and grab her. Even worse is during the fight at the top she gets knocked down and has to call out for Cloud to help her get up. Then finally once the plate is confirmed dropping she just sits there and Cloud has to carry her away before she dies.

That's three moments in one section alone. Then you have the train scene where she is pushed out by Cloud, the entire train graveyard where Cloud is having to save both girls constantly, the grapping gun incident where Tifa somehow forgets she has her own and needs Cloud to save her but suddenly remembers to use it and save Barret. In the final battle a whisper attacks her and Cloud has to protect her. Leslie has to protect Tifa. It's so frequent in the game it makes her a joke.

Then to make things even worse any motivation or reason she SHOULD have is removed to make her the character questioning being in AVALANCHE. She doesn't even participate until the second mission and is already acting like she is newer to the group than Cloud yet doubting their choices. We never get to see her anger at Shinra and Sephiroth so it makes her this boring character who had plenty of great reasons to want revenge at Shinra and they could have finished her growth by having her question her feelings of revenge and how it affected those who didn't deserve it.

Her gameplay is the only positive I can give. Monk classes are good shit and she is also OP like Aerith.

Cloud is great and pretty much exactly what I remember from the original. Cocky but also cold to people. Has his dorky aspects but once he warms up to people is caring and charming.

I agree with a lot of this. I still really liked Tifa, but I went into this wanting to love her. She has a warmth to her that I liked, and a level of insecurity that I find relatable. Her voice actor is also great, and the writing does a good job making her and Cloud's friendship and care for each other clearer than I think the OG game did in the beginning. But by the end, it felt like the game had constantly yanked her around, putting her in more damsel situations than Jessie or even Aerith (the person who actually hired herself a bodyguard) so that Cloud could swoop in and save her. That moment in the plate collapse where Tifa calls for Cloud to help her get up was so tiresome.

Granted, Tifa seemed like she (understandably) had more screentime in this part than the other two girls, so that could be partly why it feels that way. But I've always felt that Tifa's character tends to be used to supplement Cloud's development, which is unfair, and I was hoping the remake would give her some more character stuff of her own. And they kind of do that, with her doubts about Avalanche, but it's a bit sparse.

I love how well they captured Aerith in the remake-- sweet, and able to lovingly cutting through bullshit from Cloud and others. But even her writing felt a bit off towards the last couple chapters. She suddenly becomes aloof and almost omniscient, mainly giving plot-heavy exposition to Cloud and crew. She felt different from how she's presented in her first few chapters.

Hopefully I'll feel differently as the games go on. These were just some quibbles I had about how the female characters were written, but for the most part, they knocked it out of the park.

Cloud and Barret were more consistent imo. Loved them both. I honestly figured Barret wouldn't get to be as prominent as the other three main characters, but was pleasantly surprised how many great moments he got to have.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
They're absolutely incredible.

It's why I'm leaning towards VII Remake as my preferred game over the original. The characters and the script are so much better than the original (at least in English).Their interactions and the way they develop over the course of the game is really wonderful.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best this generation, hands down. And much of it thanks to wonderful English VAs, as well as the script of course. Generally I prefer Japanese voices but not this time.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with a lot of this. I still really liked Tifa, but I went into this wanting to love her. She has a warmth to her that I liked, and a level of insecurity that I find relatable. Her voice actor is also great, and the writing does a good job making her and Cloud's friendship and care for each other clearer than I think the OG game did in the beginning. But by the end, it felt like the game had constantly yanked her around, putting her in more damsel situations than Jessie or even Aerith (the person who actually hired herself a bodyguard) so that Cloud could swoop in and save her. That moment in the plate collapse where Tifa calls for Cloud to help her get up was so tiresome.

Granted, Tifa seemed like she (understandably) had more screentime in this part than the other two girls, so that could be partly why it feels that way. But I've always felt that Tifa's character tends to be used to supplement Cloud's development, which is unfair, and I was hoping the remake would give her some more character stuff of her own. And they kind of do that, with her doubts about Avalanche, but it's a bit sparse.

I love how well they captured Aerith in the remake-- sweet, and able to lovingly cutting through bullshit from Cloud and others. But even her writing felt a bit off towards the last couple chapters. She suddenly becomes aloof and almost omniscient, mainly giving plot-heavy exposition to Cloud and crew. She felt different from how she's presented in her first few chapters.

Hopefully I'll feel differently as the games go on. These were just some quibbles I had about how the female characters were written, but for the most part, they knocked it out of the park.

Cloud and Barret were more consistent imo. Loved them both. I honestly figured Barret wouldn't get to be as prominent as the other three main characters, but was pleasantly surprised how many great moments he got to have.
Agreed. Tifa and Aerith were whatever the plot and writers needed them to be at any given time, and that's what drove some issues the game had with inconsistency. Especially the last 2 chapters.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
Agreed. Tifa and Aerith were whatever the plot and writers needed them to be at any given time, and that's what drove some issues the game had with inconsistency. Especially the last 2 chapters.

Despite some clunky aspects of the ending, I think that's why I'm of the camp that really wants Aerith not to die, because it will give her some agency going forward. A large part of the impact of her death in the OG game was because of how it furthered Cloud's pain and hatred towards Sephiroth. To essentially fridge Aerith again, especially when they've given themselves the opportunity to go a different route, would be such a waste. I so want to see what Aerith gets to do if she lives this time around. But it all depends on execution.

The reappearance of Zack at the end of the remake also worries me, with how much Aerith's character was tarnished to revolve around him in Crisis Core.

I've got mixed feelings, because some of the writing is the best FF has been in so long and has me more invested than I've been in years, but I'm also super wary that they'll devolve into past mistakes.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Since people are talking about XV

The entire reason XV's ending works so well is because of the characters and how much they grow on you. That's the best thing about the game and the ending is so well done that I've seen even the naysayers who dislike the game agree that it's good. You could almost say the game didn't deserve that good of an ending.

So to say XV's characters were hollow is just plain wrong.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Eh there is some good and bad. I really disliked everyone on the the pizza mission but once you got to Wall Market your party members there really added to the experience.

the dialogue in this game ranges from good to really bad and clunky depending on the scene.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Some of that difference is new to the remake, and some was because the original English translation of the game ripped a lot of the personality out of them. Aerith especially was a lot more lively in Japanese.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree Chapter 9 in particular is when i finally realized why Aerith is best girl. Barret grew on me a lot too considering he was kind of an asshole in the beginning.

almendrabl

Jan 24, 2020

I think I remember you, you are another Clerith shipper, I hope that this thread does not deviate with themes of hatred towards Tifa, for that you have a private discord.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, the best group of characters for me in a long time. Aerith is by far my favorite.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Since people are talking about XV

The entire reason XV's ending works so well is because of the characters and how much they grow on you. That's the best thing about the game and the ending is so well done that I've seen even the naysayers who dislike the game agree that it's good. You could almost say the game didn't deserve that good of an ending.

So to say XV's characters were hollow is just plain wrong.

Amen to this! It's a wild feeling traipsing through VII Remastered, lowkey pining for the camaraderie that evolved so wonderfully in XV.

For all it's ambition, I think the gameplay in XV felt so liberating and open ended in the first half with a good cast that evolves and benefits greatly from it. I loved XV.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I totally agree that the writing is great with a lot of the supporting cast - and Barret and Cloud's arcs are really amazing as they evolve from unlikeable tough guys. Only problem is that all the women are written the same way. They're all typecast as helpful, overeager, supportive, happy-go-lucky ingenues. You could swap any delivery from Tifa, Jessie, or Aeris freely.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember you, you are another Clerith shipper, I hope that this thread does not deviate with themes of hatred towards Tifa, for that you have a private discord.
This is such a creepy and weird thing to post. You do realize Tifa is a videogame character right? She and every other character in this game are not real. Tifa has problematic aspects and people have the right to discuss them.

This shipping snipe is so cringe and embarassing. This isn't Twitter or Tumblr where everything people post is about ship wars. You are very clearly a Cloud and Tifa shipper who is upset someone dared to critique her and the only thing you can do to dismiss everything I wrote is by calling me a Cloud/Aerith shipper with an agenda to make everyone pick on the videogame character lol

Shipping is not a good enough for me to start hating a character because I'm not a 10 year old who makes it their life. I dislike Tifa simply because I think she is poorly written with a bad design. The Remake had the chance to improve her and failed.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
All I wish is that they either got a different VA for Barrett or gave him different direction, because his dialogue isn't terrible but the delivery comes off really poorly. Other than that I really love what they've done with the characters. I hope in game two they give the option to ship Cloud with Jessie

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I think if you had a problem with Tifa's character before you're not going to change your mind now.

I foresee people disliking Cid as well.

Cait Sith also does some shit. I also see people hating him because he is a cat on a fat moogle.

I think this game did such a good job at expanding on what was already there. Even Tseng, who was a nobody bad guy in the original, has a personality now.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think if you had a problem with Tifa's character before you're not going to change your mind now.

I foresee people disliking Cid as well.

Cait Sith also does some shit. I also see people hating him because he is a cat on a fat moogle.

I think this game did such a good job at expanding on what was already there. Even Tseng, who was a nobody bad guy in the original, has a personality now.
Cait sith is gonna be the hardest one to get right because I'm the original I never bought why the party would take him in. He's a joke until he's not so I'm faciniated how they plan to tackle that

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
This is such a creepy and weird thing to post. You do realize Tifa is a videogame character right? She and every other character in this game are not real. Tifa has problematic aspects and people have the right to discuss them.

This shipping snipe is so cringe and embarassing. This isn't Twitter or Tumblr where everything people post is about ship wars. You are very clearly a Cloud and Tifa shipper who is upset someone dared to critique her and the only thing you can do to dismiss everything I wrote is by calling me a Cloud/Aerith shipper with an agenda to make everyone pick on the videogame character lol

Shipping is not a good enough for me to start hating a character because I'm not a 10 year old who makes it their life. I dislike Tifa simply because I think she is poorly written with a bad design. The Remake had the chance to improve her and failed.

super agree, I'm cool with whatever a ships people want to like but Tifa was done dirty

sidenote- I bookmarked your earlier Tifa critique but I don't know how to view bookmarks. Anyone got any tips?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
super agree, I'm cool with whatever a ships people want to like but Tifa was done dirty

sidenote- I bookmarked your earlier Tifa critique but I don't know how to view bookmarks. Anyone got any tips?
Click your username in the top right corner and it should say bookmarks. Click that and anything you've bookmarked should be there. :)
Cait sith is gonna be the hardest one to get right because I'm the original I never bought why the party would take him in. He's a joke until he's not so I'm faciniated how they plan to tackle that
I've never loved Cait Sith but I think they have a big chance to improve him. Already having him cameo is smart and hopefully they do more than just force himself into the party and act like they don't know who the traitor is.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa is my all time favourite FF character
and I can say that Tifa didn't really stand out in the remake, but that is to be expected. In the OG, after Cloud, her character is the one that grows and develops the most, and that is after the half way point of that game.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol

how dare anyone criticize Tifa! I like how you have to be a clerith shipper to point out anything wrong with her portrayal.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a lapsed FFVII fan — not in a way where I suddenly woke up one day and thought VII was a bad game, I just kind of let it fade away and forgot about it and stopped thinking about it past the first few years after I played it.

That said, this Remake has renewed me on VII in particular. I couldn't believe how much nostalgic feels this game evoked, and then it went a whole extra mile and gave them a ton more depth and almost resoundingly for the better.

Pretty damn impressed. VII was no doubt one of the most important games in my life despite me lapsing on appreciating it, and this game completely justifies that status by making me feel a renewed and deepened attachment to its cast.

I will say, though — while I do think Cloud has more depth, I somehow actually like him less than I used to, but not to a degree where I overall hate him as a character. I just find his forced detachment a bit harder to stomach now — like, I enjoy Tifa, Aerith, and Barrett (and Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge) so much that it becomes all the more annoying to see Cloud try soooo hard to keep them at arms length. Just let them in, bro, you fucking jerk. This feeling, admittedly, makes Cloud overall more compelling despite the increased dislike because it is SO SATISFYING to see him cave even an inch to any one of them.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
the only thing Tifa was banging in the OG was Johnny

5XODaP5.jpg

Johnny's spending his nights at the honeybee inn, although to be fair he did get a bit of glowup

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Biggs is the best character in the game, he felt the most like a real person while also being a million times cooler than Cloud. Tifa was the most disappointing for reasons others have listed.

Wasn't crazy about the English script, but what I understood of the French dub was great. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love a Clyde Mandelin-style side-by-side breakdown of the three scripts.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Biggs is the best character in the game, he felt the most like a real person while also being a million times cooler than Cloud. Tifa was the most disappointing for reasons others have listed.

Wasn't crazy about the English script, but what I understood of the French dub was great. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love a Clyde Mandelin-style side-by-side breakdown of the three scripts.
It's funny I thought Biggs was the least fleshed out character. Makes me wanna replay the remake and pay more attention to him