• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was it worth the wait?

• Yes

Votes: 1,413 75.2%
  • No

Votes: 224 11.9%
  • Almost (comment what´s missing)

Votes: 132 7.0%
  • Prefer the original

Votes: 109 5.8%

• Total voters

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it but I would have essentially given it a perfect 10 had they rethought some things due to pacing. I feel like some of the main quest stuff could have been fun side content and the campaign could have been a little leaner. The new content is mostly fine but the placement of it can drag the story down.

I was mixed on the combat at first but I find more things to enjoy the deeper I go into it which is always a sign of an excellent system IMO. The characters and writing were a lot better than I expected it to be and the worldbuilding/Midgar itself was genuinely excellently executed. Other problems like inconsistent graphics didn't bother me much at all because the game was gorgeous whenever it needed to be.. The pacing is the only thing that sticks out on reflection.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Those saying that it's better than the sum of its parts are right on the money. And even then there are some really damn good parts. It reminds me a bit of Skies of Arcadia, where the overall experience is incredible because of the world, characters, music, etc.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only played the demo, and while it seems well made, it just doesn't have the same appeal for me as the original. I expected as much way before it came out based on the look of it and descriptions.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's a diehard fan of the game ever since 97, I think it was worth the wait.

The game, the story, the soundtrack and most importantly the gameplay were pretty well used and updated to today's standards.

The game isn't perfect, but let's not kid ourselves, it was never gonna be perfect for anyone. For what happened, I think the remake handled the OG material with a LOT of respect and where it walked off the beaten path, it did it mostly with class.

Now, the biggest gripe I have with it are the countless questions that rises the moment I was done with it, what's going to happen and when is the next game happening, what grounds will the next game cover, etc.

The most perfect execution here is the soundtrack, absolute masterclass work. 100% perfect, no complaints at all.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
yes and no

I'd have been more hyoed had it released on time and had half as much bloat.
Meaning... I'd have been satisfied with less of an effort if they focused more on quality than quantity in some areas...

But other areas were totally worth it... I'm sure they had to refine combat a ton and that's easily the best part of the game. I feel like the characters are spot on ... they NAILED em. Sometimes I stop and look and think how weird it is to see such high fidelity models of these classic characters...

It's definitely a trip... and I'm glad I bought it and played it... but it's far from perfect.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a million nitpicks but honestly I'm just growing with appreciation on the little things.

Takes him a bit before he gets into ff7 but is probably the best video I've seen talking about the game and how it absolutely nails it's world building and characters. I'm replaying the original now and just paying attention to every little thing they captures and how the heart and core of this game was preserved

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I love the game overall in spite of its pacing issues from all the padding. The extra story content fleshing out Jessie and the gang is great, and the twist at the end has me apprehensive but eager to see what comes next.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Overall, it might be my favorite FF. I haven't been super in love with any of the FF I've played yet either (4,5,7,15,7R) tho, and this one, while still having a lot of good, disappointed me quite a bit as well.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I am still on my first playthrough and I can say this game has everything I wanted in a FFVII Remake.

I'm just disappointed that we'll likely have to wait awhile for the next one.

The same feelings I had playing VII as a kid...I felt playing this game. That's all I could ask for from a Remake.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
There's a lot of leeway the game is being given imo, which keeps it from being "the best evar" to me personally.

Things like an entire chapter being a few grating and some fans over a giant jpeg skybox of Midgar, inconsistencies in asset quality and texture quality, the constant forcing of slow walks and crawls, the fact that majority of the map is composed primarily of hallways, etc.

I think for all the praise the game gets it's just a souped up Crisis Core with a better fight system and everytime I go "oh man I like the fight system I'll go play through on Hard" I remember that the slog between the boss fights is boring and repetitive, and sidequests have nothing of worth to offer in terms of story.

I think the novelty of some things in the game are going to keep it from ever being looked down upon, because unlike FFXV it has a huge buff of being characters that players know and a world they want "more" of, but I think if any other game tried the things FF7R did at points they'd be grilled for it.

It's one of the most inconsistent in terms of quality games I've ever played, but the highs sure do get really high.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'm only 10 hrs in and I have no history with the original, but I'd say so. It's a damn good videogame.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, but after playing it, no. I think I would have been fine waiting for the whole thing to come out.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the original FF7 is really over rated, it's a very good game but people treat it like a masterpiece. The FF7 remake blows it away and is one of the better games I've ever played period.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this game came out in a world where the original never existed, and I never played the original in 1997 and like 20 times thereafter, and it was just part 1 of a trilogy called Final Fantasy, I'd think it was the best god damn game I'd ever played.

As it stands, I still might think it's the best god damn game I'd ever played.

So yeah. Worth the wait.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Tbh I find it hard to understand how this game took (at least) 5 years in development and also how it is 90GB in size with the (extremely) low quality of visuals in some sections and repeated environments.
3 Dub Languages worth of uncompressed audio, as well as FMVs. Many of the cutscenes aren't actually in-engine. Digital Foundry's breakdown talked about how the game is actually deceptively good at hiding FMV transitions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Only played the demo, but I was impressed. Very reminiscent of the Tobal demo and the translation of turn-based to more activity between ATB allowance seems like a novel approach. Learning how to manage my team on the fly in that boss fight felt dynamic and interesting in a way KH and FFXV never really did for me.

I am half-debating waiting for future episodes to just enjoy binge it all, but hearing positivity around Hard mode and many of the other additions is making me consider just diving in.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
It is a great game, during the first half of the game I had really mixed feelings about it. After finishing it I ended up liking it.

My problem with the game is at no point did it feel like I was playing a Final Fantasy game. It felt like SE tried to make a Naughty Dog version of FFVII. IMO it had little to no RPG elements. Never any requirement to grind, almost nowhere to explore, would have liked a larger area to look around. I thought we were going to be able to walk around above the plate for much longer. Be a merc and do jobs up there too. Ultimately I liked the game, it just wasn't at all what I was expecting/hoping for.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Only played the demo, but I was impressed. Very reminiscent of the Tobal demo and the translation of turn-based to more activity between ATB allowance seems like a novel approach. Learning how to manage my team on the fly in that boss fight felt dynamic and interesting in a way KH and FFXV never really did for me.

I am half-debating waiting for future episodes to just enjoy binge it all, but hearing positivity around Hard mode and many of the other additions is making me consider just diving in.

I definitely agree with your points on the combat. It's leagues better than KH or FFXV. The hybrid ATB + real time usage feels sublime in this game. It's the first action based SE game that really feels like an evolution of the ATB rather than a replacement.

I think you should just dive in, this feels like a complete experience on its own while still keeping you hungry for more, and playing it did a lot to assuage my worries about the series as a whole, because it's so well done it really restored my faith in SE to deliver. I also think there will be a lot of discourse online between now and the sequel re: changes which I think will be hard to avoid.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the original but still think it was worth the wait

The ending was weird, but everything else was extremely good.

I basically agree with ThorHighHeels' take on it (timestamped if you don't wanna watch the Resi bits)

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks stunning 95% of the time. I know they day 1 patch was needed for the textures problems on a few surfaces but the overall visual quality of the game is extremely high.

It doesn't though. I'm 16 hours in and I've seen mix of good and awful through the entire experience. The main characters are the highlight. Overall, textures are super bad, a lot of the in-game 3D models are jarringly ugly (currently in Chapter 9), and when they plaster a static image as a backdrop (slums of Midgar from above being the biggest offender so far), it just looks bad. On a PS4 Pro. When you're in the slums on the ground level, it gets ugly quick.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im finishing chapter 14 now and I'm 50+h in. No way it's a 20h game if you do any side quest which are almost mandatory to enjoy many things in the game. And fun too. Granted I take my times it's a 30h+ game easy. And imho a masterpiece
I'm literally at the same point and only 30 hours in, plus left it idle for like a hour at least once, so I'm not exactly sure what you were doing to get to that length. No one finishing this game is claiming it's 50+ hours.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm literally at the same point and only 30 hours in, plus left it idle for like a hour at least once, so I'm not exactly sure what you were doing to get to that length. No one finishing this game is claiming it's 50+ hours.
Must have been 5h top idle or reading my phone while playing. But I finished chapter 14 at level 44 for my characters. A lot of pleasuring grind

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, but isn't that cheating?
If you didn't like the original much at all, then in principle you'd be fine waiting for an eternity for a remake, wouldn't you?
Because OG VII wasn't in my top 5 doesn't mean it wasnt a game I liked very much.

Cloud was my favorite character in the franchise to the point I got his Fenrir emblem tattooed on my right shoulder.

Also loved the music and other elements, with AC having my favorite OST and designs in the series.

So I'm not sure how it would suddenly disqualify my opinion because it was ranked 6/7 out of 13 amazing games?

Oct 26, 2017
I hate how much I hate the game. I'm really trying to reconcile my dislike....I'll play again in 6 months and maybe with expectations in check, I'll like it more? I re-installed the original last night and started replaying. I really am glad others liked it though. I wish I was in your boat.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It doesn't though. I'm 16 hours in and I've seen mix of good and awful through the entire experience. The main characters are the highlight. Overall, textures are super bad, a lot of the in-game 3D models are jarringly ugly (currently in Chapter 9), and when they plaster a static image as a backdrop (slums of Midgar from above being the biggest offender so far), it just looks bad. On a PS4 Pro. When you're in the slums on the ground level, it gets ugly quick.

I don't agree.. the game looks stellar imo most of the time.

You can search for some bad textures here and there but the overall quality is super high.

ERA can be really hyperbolic about this game sometimes but it's fine. This game hits some really high notes on the visual department.. that's the reason why people gets upset about a few bad textures and they even notice them more because of the overall polish of everything in the game.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The textures loading as low res (sometimes extremely low res) is a problem, but not one worth getting worked up about. It's a very small blemish on the game that absolutely does not have an effect on the overall experience. There are other flaws that are much more glaring and take the game down a peg or two IMO.

However, the story and characters are executed at an extremely high level, and certainly better than the Midgar section of the original. The actual dialogue writing here is some of the best ever put into a video game, full stop. I think that is just about inarguable. Combat is also immensely satisfying and well constructed. So considering they got those core elements right, it's extremely fun and impressive despite the drawbacks.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those who think it was not worth it only for that stupid ending: https://www.change.org/p/square-enix-why-the-future-of-ff7-remake-scares-us it's not much but it is something...
Congrats, we entered last jedi reedit/Snider cut levels of stupid

I prefer the original but still think it was worth the wait

The ending was weird, but everything else was extremely good.

I basically agree with ThorHighHeels' take on it (timestamped if you don't wanna watch the Resi bits)

Literally posted this on the same page lol, but hey only validates how right I was to post it.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Considering FFXV and everything that happened since the start of development (letting CC2 develop it initally, rough demos, etc.), it's a lot better than I expected. The game is flawed, but what's there is amazing and I'm hoping they can improve it in the future games.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the original is still better.
it wasn't worth the wait as much for me. But I see others seeing it as worth it

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
So I haven't finished it and so I cannot revalue all my views based on whatever insipid thing they did to sour everyone who's talking about it, but...

I think, up to Chapter 14 now, it's an uneven experience where the good parts outshine the bad parts. It has game-direction problems whereas the story-direction thus far is very good. As much as they overdo it with frontloading Sephiroth, they do an incredible job of fleshing out Barret and co. with better writing imo, so it really feels like a "REmake" when it comes to how they're overhauling the story minus whatever horrible thing they did with the Dementors and the ending, which I'm already sort of predicting what it will be.

Is it worth it? Yeah, but is it better? Well, it's just part 1 and there's just as many ways they can completely screw things up as there are ways to iterate and perfect the sequels.

I also think as far as negatives go, there's too much market research/focus testing going on. I deeply respect the team for trying and failing to get to where the game ended up with its combat system. It's the star of the show other than the cutscenes of the classic scenes. But there's too much market research and copypasting ideas from other genres and games. The stuff they lift from FFXV is okay, like some of the side quest stuff, but I feel like they aped Yakuza pretty intentionally in a lot of places, and I'd rather if the game was its own thing. It causes incongruencies with the art style and with the presentation of certain story moments and also some of the world design. I don't want Yakuza FF7 edition, I want FFVII REMAKE. And that's on Square Enix Corporate I think.