• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was it worth the wait?

• Yes

Votes: 1,413 75.2%
  • No

Votes: 224 11.9%
  • Almost (comment what´s missing)

Votes: 132 7.0%
  • Prefer the original

Votes: 109 5.8%

• Total voters

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great 20 hour game dragged out to a good 30 hour game with one point I really didn't like. It's got a lot of other issues but it's solid. I don't think it's a masterpiece by any stretch and strongly prefer the original (even if that's not in my top 5 FFs)
Im finishing chapter 14 now and I'm 50+h in. No way it's a 20h game if you do any side quest which are almost mandatory to enjoy many things in the game. And fun too. Granted I take my times it's a 30h+ game easy. And imho a masterpiece

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i wasn't particulary waiting for it anyway, but i can't say i was impressed, there was some good points for sure, some legit hype moments, but there' was more bad than good overall for me

and when you see these huge graphical issues, with more ugly area tha good looking ones, you have to wonder how this shit happened after a so long developpment and how will they do the rest... Ps5 won't save them from this, cause ps4 is already capable of way more than that

Graphics are more of a nitpick, but when you waited that long for something that was sold as a impressive remake graphically, you should except way more than that

At least the original is still there, i'm replaying it right now, the remake set me in the mood (for better or worse, lol)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great 20 hour game dragged out to a good 30 hour game with one point I really didn't like. It's got a lot of other issues but it's solid. I don't think it's a masterpiece by any stretch and strongly prefer the original (even if that's not in my top 5 FFs)

This is where I'm at. It's a totally solid 2020 version of a classic. I'm personally not into the modern action combat style that it's moved into and I liked the tone overall of the original more. I'm a huge nerd for PS1 era FF so no surprises that I prefer the original.

I like Remake and I'd put it on a level with something like The Twin Snakes. I don't think it'll be remembered as a classic in its own right.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
For me?

Absolutely.

The way it handles Cloud's character, the writing and dynamics between the main cast and the additions to the extended cast makes it just outstanding and my favorite acting and writing between characters in the franchise.

The game is not perfect and it can be improved on for sure, but to me? It's my favorite game of all time and VII OG wasn't in my top 5 FFs.

Can't wait for the next.
Okay, but isn't that cheating?
If you didn't like the original much at all, then in principle you'd be fine waiting for an eternity for a remake, wouldn't you?

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1000% worth it. They somehow managed to walk the thin line of cheese and anime with the writing and characterization of these well known characters. Also turned me from a Team Tifa lifer to Team Aertith. Combat is also surprisingly good with a decent challenge throughout the game.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's not a perfect game, I have a multitude of issues with it, I do not agree with certain choices, but god damn it just feels right to me, its better than the sum of it's parts and the highs are so high they make the lows neglible to me.

I also think the vast majority of issues can be fixed in future entries.

It was absolutely worth it, and the split into several parts was the right decision to me.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Yes i love the game, but it has some major flaws (low res backgrounds, textures issues, padding/fetch quests in some chapters, etc)

Hopefully SE will learn from this experience and deliver a better game in the sequel.

Nov 23, 2017
HELL YES. I love this game so much. Yes, the flaws are there (some padding, texture/lighting issues) but I don't even care about those. Some of the padding annoyed me slightly but the story and characters are so well done that it doesn't even matter. Really linear but I was truly engrossed so I didn't care. So much fun. Combat system is the best in franchise history. Music is mostly all-timers except for a select few. The ending is awesome and I'm excited about the future of Final Fantasy VII.

Is it better than the original? Too tough to call. I can't wait to play the entire saga and then decide on that afterwards.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Hell yeah. I played the OG 10+ time and in my mind 1/3 of the game is in Midgar but in reality you're out of there by hour 5. I really get to see the city this time, and the battle system is stellar, wish they'd just use variations of it for the next 3-4 FF.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing game, despite the graphical problems, of course.

I loved the combat and hope that it becomes default for the series, like ATB used to be until FF9.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I hadn't enjoyed an offline, traditional Final Fantasy game in nearly 15 years, and was far from sold on Midgar only, but I genuinely love it, and its world & characters more than ever. Fantastic foundation for a trilogy.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just in general, no game, movie, tv show etc is worth 15 years of waiting. It's just something we had to put up with.

The game was really good until it's terrible ending.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Yes it's one of the best games this gen and squares best single player game since FF12. I am in shock at how they pulled this off, better characters, better story moments, better combat, it's just better in most every way. Yes it's cheating cause there is so much more to get to but they did take a small portion of FF7 and manage to make a great game out of it. I also thought the ending was brilliant, the future holds so much promise!

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Eh, kinda. Don't like the new story direction but I can always play the original. I'm not sure if people were waiting 15 years for such a different story, but it seems they're taking it well.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
kind of...I started Breath of the Wild for the first time ever straight after FF7R and it really makes me wonder how much I actually enjoyed FF7R lol

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right up there with breath of the wild for me

Would have brought a ps4 at launch if this game was the only launch game for it.

kind of...I started Breath of the Wild for the first time ever straight after FF7R and it really makes you think lol. I mean BOTW is just a phenomenal game. Unfair comparison but they're both RPG's with roughly the same amount of development time

You are in for a treat!

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I'm really happy with the low percentage of "prefer the original". I think this game stands well on its own.

I also have zero reverence for the original, despite buying it on launch in '97.

I will probably be double dipping when it hits pc.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I want to play it on a more powerful system that's for sure. Whether that's the XSX or the PC idk.

Aeriths home should be really popping on screen but these current gen systems just can't handle it.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. It's not just the best game I've played this year so far but one of the best I've played in years. The combat system is amazing, the sheer quality of the environments and characters is ridiculous... you just could not have this kind of quality and attention to detail without them deciding to remake the original one part at a time.

This game totally justified their approach for me and I'm very excited for the next "season" of this show.

Aug 1, 2018
It's my new favorite game of all time. Regardless of where it goes from here and whether Square Enix fucks it up or not, this first release was absolutely amazing.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
I've not finished the game yet but at least I understand what these characters are saying. So yeah, well worth the wait.
The fact that there are a lot of people mad about the writing of this remake when the localization of the original was un-fucking-fathomable is beyond me.

How the did people in the west got ANYHTING from the story of the orginal, in English or any other translations (played it in """French""" at the time) , when there aren't two consecutives lines of dialogue that make sense, is unbelievable.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely! Huge fan of the original and seeing the Midgar portion remade in this style with all the new additions (some good, some bad) and a fun battle system was most definitely worth the wait. Bring on the next part. I just hope Nomura crazy train doesn't derail.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It became the JRPG of the gen for me, so yes. It's the game from the E3 of dreams that delivered the most by huge margin.

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
I think Square after YEARS, have finally found the perfect combat system. Every time I switch character I know there is something fun and unique waiting for me (and they did it 4th times)

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
I've not finished the game yet but at least I understand what these characters are saying. So yeah, well worth the wait.
The fact that there are a lot of people mad about the writing of this remake when the localization of the original was un-fucking-fathomable is beyond me.

How the did people in the west got ANYHTING from the story of the orginal, in English or any other translations (played it in """French""" at the time) , when there aren't two consecutives lines of dialogue that make sense, is unbelievable.

Nostalgia, just that, it is beyond belief how people can appreciate the story where basically every character and their nuances was completely destroyed in translation is beyond me. I think people would just love for Nomura to not be involved and well I agree.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
It's great but I find the amount of gameplay content a bit lacking. And it's a chore trying to get to the end game content/trophies with chapter select. Would have preferred a bigger end game with freedom to play.

Kinda hate the ending but I'm open to the idea of the next games being a bit different.

Biggest complaint is end game is annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Just being able to run around the familiar locations and look around them and hear the updated soundtrack is worth it to me.

Plus the game is actually pretty good too.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I find it hard to understand how this game took (at least) 5 years in development and also how it is 90GB in size with the (extremely) low quality of visuals in some sections and repeated environments.

The moments where it hits hard are fabulous but I dont think any of it will mean much to people who arent familiar with the original.

Yeah thats my worry as well. I know this game has seen some rough development, switching studios etc, but its rather small in scope (if you ignore the fetch quests and skip the scenes). The overall playfield isn't big and its entirely hallways. You would think this shouldn't cost 5+ years of development time. Square still seems to have a hard time developing something meaty within a decent time span. On the other hand, KH3 took about the same time and is actually rather complete strictly speaking about level design (there aren't many worlds this time but every one of them is huge and varied in design). Still, a game like that could've been done in a smaller timeframe as well I think, its not like Square works with very small teams though they do jump projects a lot.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's fantastic. They exceeded my expectations - the characters were absolutely on point, the dialogue and localisation were actually GOOD (characters didn't talk in that distant, wishy washy, overly flowery, FFXIII/KH way). I loved the humour. And the battle system is insanely fun. I've not had so much fun with a game in a long time. It has its flaws but the good stuff far outweighs them for me.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I had my misgivings to be honest. The previews showed a battle system that looked like it was more focused on flash than gameplay, I was concerned that the side quest design would turn it into a mindless collect-a-thon, and the idea of being in Midgar for 50 hours seemed insane.

But in the end, we got an amazingly tuned combat system which blends the action and strategy perfectly. We got a game that didn't shy away from the original's zaniness, with a Wall Market crossdressing scenario that's even wilder than the original's. We got quirky mini games, a fantastic approach to weapons where they're all different from each other instead of the classic RPG (the next one is plain better than the previous one), pretty good enemy variety, a legitimately difficult NG+ (a much-appreciated rarity for FF).

It wasn't perfect. The level design in a lot of areas was uninspired, and the "let me slowly squeeze through this gap" moments were far too frequent. The new story elements are....something. I kind of understand what they wanted to do, but I also think this was the worst possible way for them to earn a little creative freedom.

But overall it was amazing. And despite all the changes, it's still the story of a mentally unstable kid who thinks he was an elite soldier, and gets hired by a group of ecoterrorists to fight an electric power company, meeting a mystical humanoid sweetheart along the way who will be key in their struggle to fight a cloned alien who wants to crash a meteor into the world. If that's not the wildest pitch ever, I don't know what is.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I really only "felt" the wait the few weeks leading up to the game's release. I knew going in (from the media and interviews) that it wasn't going to be a 1:1 remake. I'm writing this on a phone so apologies for any grammatical or spelling errors.

Pros:
The highs are extremely high.
The combat is spectacular to both control and to watch.
The graphics are incredible and allowed me to take so many beautiful screenshots (expect for the end, I hate how they disable screen capture).
The characters, particularly Barret, went from being a great cast of cool characters to fleshed out, deep, motivated people and not just pixels. I really felt their individual fears and motivations, the writing was very well done and the voice actors knocked it out of the park.

Cons:
When the story stays faithful to the original, it does it wonderfully. The stuff it adds (mostly the end) just felt like fan fiction or fanbase pandering. Why mess with a classic? I'm intrigued to see what happens, so it is kind of nice to actually wonder what our heroes will go through instead of knowing exactly how things play out. But like many others, Nomura made me feel like I was playing a Kingdom Hearts game at the end. I love those games, but they're not Final Fantasy.
Graphics weren't perfect, I know. Door textures that didn't load and pop ins galore, but I don't care. It was 99% gorgeous.
Materia management was a pain in the butt. I wish there was a quick select/move all like the OG game. Also I wish like the OG, you could press a button to switch from the weapon page to the Materia page.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic experience, a fresh take on a beloved classic, but it won't take the throne. Currently playing on Hard now, the combat really shines on this mode.

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
The game ended up being better than I thought it could be. Square did an incredible job and I can't wait for part 2.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
You know what's interesting? "Worth the wait" entirely depends on a person's requirements for being worth the wait. Which ties to the person's expectations of the game's quality.

What I'm trying to say is, I wonder what the reaction to the game would have been if more of SE's output in the last 10 or so years was similar to this game? Your base expectations influence how you grade something.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It's a miracle the game ended being as good as it is considering Square's singlepayer FF output over the past decade tbh

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm only 12 hours in so far but this is easily the best Square game I've played since FFIX. So yes, I'd say totally worth the wait.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've seen so many angry articles and posts about FF7R on both big and small issues, I'm genuinely surprised 75% of poll respondants said yes. Goes to show how loud minority opinion voices can get I suppose. I really gotta start this game huh.