• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So you're telling me I just dreamt up RE:RE2? Come on SQ didn't create the word remake.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
No one who played the original game imagined that something that looks as breathtaking as the remake would ever exist.

Every person I've showed this to has been blown away.

It's only around here people are downplaying or trashing the massive amount of effort being put in this game.

You're hearing sweeping orchestral remakes of songs, stunning visuals, modernizing the battle system to make it live action... tons of detail in every scene.. "well it was expected, nothing to see here. It was already gonna be a hit".

Yeah, with that mindset they could've just phoned it in but they didn't. They're bringing lessons they learned from FFXV, Kindom Hearts, etc... And you can tell the game is being developed by people who were actually fans of the original.

What they're doing is actually stunning. And I hope they succeed wildly. I think it's fantastic that an entire new generation is going to discover this game looking in a way that no one could have dreamt it would have looked like decades ago.

It's ambitious, it's passionate, and I want to see more of that especially from Square going forwar

Oh yeah look at all that ambition....

HPcZttA.gif

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me I just dreamt up RE:RE2? Come on SQ didn't create the word remake.

RE 2 Remake is incredible, one of the best games of this generation. That said I think VII Remake is way more ambitious.

Edit: This doesn't mean it'll be a better game though.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Truth is, I don't know if we can tell whether this is ambitious or unambitious until we actually see how it turns out. If they do successfully expand on the Midgar section to its own full RPG, with all the content that would imply, I would definitely say its ambitious. If they fuck it up, or just make it a super linear action game, probably less so.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The battle footage is definitely looking great.

Now partner with Monolith soft for a Xenogears remake with even a 4th of this effort

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think it's ambitious. Not for being multiple parts (that kinda sucks as a consumer), but for looking completely incomparable to the original. Maybe it's not ambitious to the general game industry, but it's certainly looking to be an ambitious remake.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'll only call it ambitious if I they manage to release the whole remake by the time PS6 comes out, and only then because they're square & my expectation is for their games to take a decade.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I mean they're splitting one game into three or more full sized parts and expanding it drastically, it will probably take the better part of the next decade to get it all out. It's an incredibly ambitious project. No one knows if it's can succeed and it's got a ton of expectations to live up to.
FFXIII is also an ambitious project, but i think VII is gonna do better too :^P

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope what Square Enix is doing with this doesn't stick or carry over into other games / companies.

It looks fantastic, but the structure puts a real damper on my hype. Having to wait years and spend at least $180 for the entire story (a story we already got over 20 years ago) is a bummer.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't call it ambitious at all to remake an old PS1 RPG beloved by all into several AAA modern games. They're not breaking the mold here. It's gonna be a modern Final Fantasy based on an old one.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It looks great, but if this thread is just going to be a pissing match for ambitious games, my vote goes to World of Warcraft.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario All-stars was always crazy to me. Remaking your 3 most popular games, then giving it away for free? Those commercials back in the day were pretty mind blowing.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
FF7R is only getting away with this because its SE and its FF7. There is nothing else to say about any other company because no other company is willing to go that far

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how many other publishers have games in with the multi decade "will they ever do it?" Hype that FFVII:R has. It was helped by sQuare always having impressive FMVs to supplement their regular gameplay/gfx, as well as projects like Advent Children giving people a sense of "maaaaaan.... imagine if one day games actually looked/played like this".

To live up to that though realistically is a huge undertaking for a game like FFVII, so I don't know how many others in similar positions would be willing to follow suit. Hopefully the game is extremely successful and it encourages others to do so.

I for one would absolutely love to see a completely remade Deus Ex that incorporates aspects from the newer games. I'm sure people might even forgive Konami if we got remakes of the MGS series in the Fox Engine... and I know I would be absolutely ecstatic if we ever got a remakes of Mass Effect 1-3.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people saying that it's a cash grab for being split into parts, I 'd like to ask, do you think its possible to recreate FFVII, in its entirety, with the production values we've seen so far from the remake, in a single release?

Sucks that our modern industry with 300 people teams and multi million dollar budgets can't make games with the same scope as a PS1 game.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Man, reading some of the post in this thread is making me think of early 2000s forum posting where I don't know if people just want to disagree for the sake of it but let's look at this a little more rationally. You have a super ambitious overhaul of a 32-bit are a game which, in some posts, it has been pointed out that there were a lot of scenes that were so simple in the original that are now full production high-quality visual effect set pieces.

Now some would argue that we have seen this action Battle system in other final fantasy games but now they are also including the active Time battle option and to say it's just a simple HD overhaul or to discredit this as a safe bet and something that is easy oh, that is a real insult to the developers.

Just looking at the last trailer, it oozes millions of dollars of production budget and also the countless hours of meetings in order to articulate the original vision into what we see in front of us today.

Is it hyperbole to say this is ambitious? No. It's more of hyperbole to try and argue the opposite. I have a lot of faith just based on the last trailer and I am as cynical as anybody else when it comes to over-hyping myself. The quality as of the last trailer has got my hopes up for this being quite the trilogy and the game gets so epic and open after you leave the first city, that I feel splitting it into three pieces is a really wise choice. If anything, it just makes the weight that much harder because I actually think they are doing a really good job with this one.

Last edited:

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Blizzard made Starcraft 2 as three games.

Making a single game in 3 parts isn't the equivalent of remaking an original single game into 3 parts with possibly 30-60 hours of new gameplay each.

And they're not just remaking the game... they're arguably developing the best looking Square game ever developed. Or at least at the upper-echelon of what they're capable of this generation.

I don't get how people don't see this as ambitious. Just because it's based on an old title, we can 100% dismiss the effort put into it?

The effort is the ambition. Their future games may actually be better because they worked on this game... And they pushed their own boundaries.

Like I said, in terms of JRPGs to me this is as good as it gets.

If they accomplish what they set out to do, what we're looking at is GOTY 2020 contender material right here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know, but there has been an uptick recently in how many remakes we're getting and as someone who has played a lot of classic games my opinion is I'd rather not have remakes of games I've played before

I get why people like/want them, but Hollywood is already stale due to endless sequels and remakes/reboots, so it would be nice to see gaming not go down the same path

It's all just a bit safe and shows a lack of creatively
I've been gaming for 30 years so believe me I totally see what you're saying on the played them before front. I think games benefit a lot more from the remaster remake treatment than films do however not just visually but mechanically as well. Take Resident Evil 2, it might be a remake but it plays massively differently with modern quality of life upgrades and changes.

I wouldn't want every game ever remade or anything but PlayStation one classics like Resident Evil 2, Spyro and Final Fantasy etc are pretty good targets for the upgrade I feel and as long as new titles keep coming out it's all good :)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sheer risk of aiming to sell us two or more remakes of one of the most popular games of all time while changing the core gameplay to something with more mainstream appeal.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean... Capcom has already gone and done this with Resident Evil 2 and has shown that companies are capable of bringing modern renditons fo their classic games. FF7R looks amazing, but it's no longer the only title to potentially get it right -- not to mention that RE2R already has ostensibly gotten it "right" and is now the poster child for how to do a modern version of a classic game.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus christ I cannot take some of the shit hyperbolic thread titles on here. "Hitherto undreampt of?". I mean what the fuck, me thinks thou must be quite the intelligent gentle sir, unbeknownst to m'lady.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been gaming for 30 years so believe me I totally see what you're saying on the played them before front. I think games benefit a lot more from the remaster remake treatment than films do however not just visually but mechanically as well. Take Resident Evil 2, it might be a remake but it plays massively differently with modern quality of life upgrades and changes.

I wouldn't want every game ever remade or anything but PlayStation one classics like Resident Evil 2, Spyro and Final Fantasy etc are pretty good targets for the upgrade I feel and as long as new titles keep coming out it's all good :)

Well SoTC got a pointless remake, and people on Era seem to get hyped as hell for remakes so that's probably the way things are going

I don't like it because let's look at Zelda

We used to get console and handheld Zelda games, both unique, both awesome

Now it looks like we'll get open world Zelda games and remakes of Zelda games

The remakes of Zelda games will be cool, but we used to get 2 original Zelda games, and now we probably won't

It's just so boring and predictable. Remember this post when ALTTP remake is announced, and the Oracle games, and watch no one grumble about how we're now getting less new Zelda games other than a handful of people as everyone loses their minds over playing a prettier ALTTP, a game that still looks and plays fine

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe we'll still get new handheld style Zelda games, but that seems unlikely to me. It's lame as it's happening across all media, TV shows and films being rebooted and remade left right and centre and people going wild for it. It's just so drab and shows no thought or creatively

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who has done it before? Whether successfully or unsuccessfully?
Nobody, because nobody is as dumb as nails as Square is when it comes to this kind of thing. Seriously, you looking at spending $200 just to have the plot of one game from 20 years ago sold back to you. I don't know about you, and as much as I do want to play the game, it's ridiculous that Square is getting a pass on splitting the game in to so many parts because...They can't get the whole game done in a timely manner?

If Red Dead 2 was split up over 7 years to deliver the conclusion to a product, people would lose their fucking minds, but because it's Square and Final Fantasy VII, they get a pass. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason for them to split the game up. It's not even looking like it's gonna to be the biggest game released this gen in terms of density, and yet it's "brave" and "risky" for them to add character models to scenes that didn't have them in the original?

It's delusional and I have no idea why anyway is looking forward to having the story finish in 7 years. It's ridiculous.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the safest large scale projects I've seen to date.

- Remake of an all-time favorite that has been teased for more than a decade.
- Split into three parts for max profit and to have an out if shit hits the fan.
- Not enough balls to design a modern, high budget fully turn-based battle system.

As far as I'm concerned, this is Square's safe cash cow while they're busy figuring out a strong foundation for the next generation of FF, because XIII and XV ain't it.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Well SoTC got a pointless remake, and people on Era seem to get hyped as hell for remakes so that's probably the way things are going

I don't like it because let's look at Zelda

We used to get console and handheld Zelda games, both unique, both awesome

Now it looks like we'll get open world Zelda games and remakes of Zelda games

The remakes of Zelda games will be cool, but we used to get 2 original Zelda games, and now we probably won't

It's just so boring and predictable. Remember this post when ALTTP remake is announced, and the Oracle games, and watch no one grumble about how we're now getting less new Zelda games other than a handful of people as everyone loses their minds over playing a prettier ALTTP, a game that still looks and plays fine

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe we'll still get new handheld style Zelda games, but that seems unlikely to me. It's lame as it's happening across all media, TV shows and films being rebooted and remade left right and centre and people going wild for it. It's just so drab and shows no thought of creatively
SOTC is still two generations old at this point and ran terribly on original software as it was pushing the limit so its upgrade isn't a total waste. It did get a PS3 remaster though and otherwise plays identically but it's popular so I guess it was worth it?

Never been a huge fan of Zelda so don't know a lot about it but aren't dev times to develop new games a lot longer now days? And The Switch is both a handheld and console in one right? And none of this stopped Nintendo making from what I hear from fans one of the best games ever in Breath of the Wild?

I mean if you compare remakes with actual new titles coming out they are a tiny percentage. You're acting like it's all that are happening now ha ha.

Guess it just doesn't bother me much XD

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
SOTC is still two generations old at this point and ran terribly on original software as it was pushing the limit so its upgrade isn't a total waste. It did get a PS3 remaster though and otherwise plays identically but it's popular so I guess it was worth it?

Never been a huge fan of Zelda so don't know a lot about it but aren't dev times to develop new games a lot longer now days? And The Switch is both a handheld and console in one right? And none of this stopped Nintendo making from what I hear from fans one of the best games ever in Breath of the Wild?

I mean if you compare remakes with actual new titles coming out they are a tiny percentage. You're acting like it's all that are happening now ha ha.

Guess it just doesn't bother me much XD

Yeah and that is fair enough. I can see why remakes appeal to people, they're just a lot less exciting to me

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A remake of Super Mario RPG where the first part is a 40-hour game that takes place entirely in Bowser's Castle.

A remake of Fallout 3 where it's just 40 hours inside the Vault

A remake of Banjo Kazooie where it's just 40 hours of Spiral Mountain tutorials

A remake of Kingdom Hearts 2 that's just 40 hours of chores in Twilight town

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Did you seriously just say "hitherto undreamt of?"
are you seriously leaning on the cauldron of the cosmos?

Anyway, I feel like REMake 2 accomplished what VII R hopes to (ground up remake with cutting edge visuals, new playstyle, expands on the original) and it did it in one volume. I don't think VIIR will change the industry.