• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I realize how ambitious and risky square is being by splitting a single game from the 90s into likely 3+ huge big budget modern AAA games.

The level of detail and scope of this remake exceeds any other by a wide margin. It's got a lot of buzz, but I was wondering ERA:

If FF7R succeeds at what it's setting out to do (big if), do you see other companies with popular old games that could be expanded on drastically trying to do something similar? If so, which companies with which games?

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remaking something already released and hyper popular is definitely how I would define "ambitious"

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're remaking what is debatably the most popular entry in their most popular franchise in beautiful and attractive high definition graphics utilizing a riveting, modernized battle system.

Ambitious, but I wouldn't call it risky. It will do well regardless of the chapter format. The content speaks for itself regardless of how they chop it up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope FF7R does well and ends up being a great game, but I hope this trend of people wanting every notable game from more than a decade ago to be remade goes away

I swear people want gaming to go the way of cinema, where most big films are remakes/reboots of something from the past (or endless sequels, which is a problem gaming already has) and new games/ideas/IP are few and far between

Loads of people also want Resi 3 remake, but that sounds awful to me. Give me a new Resi game telling a new story with the engine of Resi 2 remake any day of the week

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking something already released and hyper popular is definitely how I would define "ambitious"
I mean they're splitting one game into three or more full sized parts and expanding it drastically, it will probably take the better part of the next decade to get it all out. It's an incredibly ambitious project. No one knows if it's can succeed and it's got a ton of expectations to live up to.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
there's not many companies that could remake a game and have it hyped like how SE has FF7 remake hyped up.

from Nintendo all i could think of is OoT and even that game got a partial remake already which reduces a lot of the impact a full remake announcement would have.

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom did it with RE and again with RE2, the scale is different, for obvious reasons, but high quality remakes happened and will happen regardless of FF7R success.

Ambitious sure, risky? Nah, we are talking about one of the PS1 classics, people will eat that shit even if it's bad.
RE2 was supposed to be risky as well, but turned out good.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Milking your most popular game in three parts seems ambitious in the worst sense of the word. Like Peter Jackson's ambitious Hobbit

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize REmake 2 just came out earlier this year ? Its not like ambitious Remakes werent a thing before 7R.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
One of the most beloved games is considered a risk to remake? I mean they probably had to make sure they don't screw up. The demo is amazing btw so yeah if the whole game is like that its going to be fine.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I'd have to disagree, to be honest. In terms of scope and ambition, I'd argue that the Master Chief Collection still sets the bar. Having four different games from three different console generations all working within one package, with seamless cross-game playlists is unheard of, and I am not surprised that the game had a ton of issues when it came out, tbh.

That is in my book still way more impressive on a tech level than what FFVIIR does, which is "only" making a series of completely new AAA games.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Not to derail your thread, but i want to give Square some credit for fucking giving us Trials of Mana AND annoucing a Remake of it at the same time in 2020

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It's possible for FF7 because they know that this will sell. Outside of the Crash N Sane Trilogy and Pokemon remakes which aren't as ambitious, I don't know many games that warrant something so ambitious.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I hitherto dreamt of a game that came as a whole and not broken into parts.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I takes forever to make and we only get 1/3 of the story to start with.
It's an event game for sure, but I don't want others to follow suit. No thanks.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What in the world? No op. Just no. Remaking a popular game that everyone has been asking for for years is not how i would define ambition. Least of which is the fact they cut the game up to sell us pieces.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking FF7 alone isn't risky guys. How they are doing it is. It's taking a ton of development resources for a single remake. If the first one isn't up to standards, the next one could be less successful. And with how much they're adding and expanding, they have to be sure to add stuff that people will like to a game that they treasure very deeply.

They've basically announced a nearly decade spanning AAA game trilogy (or more) years ahead of time and they have to follow though and. And deliver on expectations while successfully integrating new things into a classic and heralded game without disappointing people. Idk how that can't be called ambitious.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to disagree, to be honest. In terms of scope and ambition, I'd argue that the Master Chief Collection still sets the bar. Having four different games from three different console generations all working within one package, with seamless cross-game playlists is unheard of, and I am not surprised that the game had a ton of issues when it came out, tbh.

That is in my book still way more impressive on a tech level than what FFVIIR does, which is "only" making a series of completely new AAA games.

Yeah, this. The launch may have been rocky but this is about ambitions, and since FF7R isn't out it's impossible to compare finished products in that sense. But attempting to make a fully backwards and forwards compatible, smooth-transitioning collection of your entire franchise in one handy package with shared playlists and whatnot has to be the most ambitious attempt at a remake in a long while, even beating what Nadeo did with TrackMania United that successfully unified their last three games into one smooth and coherent package.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remaking FF7 alone isn't risky guys. Splitting it into multiple parts is. It's taking a ton of development resources for a single remake. If the first one isn't up to standards, the next one could be less successful. And with how much they're adding and expanding, they have to be sure to add stuff that people will like to a game that they treasure very deeply.
Where's the risk? If the first one doesn't sell enough or is poorly received, they don't have to make the sequels.

Splitting into multiple games reduces the risk/ambition. It doesn't increase it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remaking FF7 alone isn't risky guys. Splitting it into multiple parts is. It's taking a ton of development resources for a single remake. If the first one isn't up to standards, the next one could be less successful. And with how much they're adding and expanding, they have to be sure to add stuff that people will like to a game that they treasure very deeply.

Eh, it's Final Fantasy 7. Even if the first remake disappointed many, it would still sell bazillions, and many would still be on board for the sequel considering that Square Enix would likely take their sweet time to make sure they iron out the first game's issues too, which would be a change that's heavily advertised and hyped.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the risk? If the first one doesn't sell enough or is poorly received, they don't have to make the sequels.

Splitting into multiple games reduces the risk/ambition. It doesn't increase it.
Uh except for the insane backlash they'd get from the people who did like it or want them to improve on the next one?

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
There are three episodes planned? I didn't know this.
So this is a ~15-years remake project...

Not worth it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Remaking FF7 alone isn't risky guys. How they are doing it is. It's taking a ton of development resources for a single remake. If the first one isn't up to standards, the next one could be less successful. And with how much they're adding and expanding, they have to be sure to add stuff that people will like to a game that they treasure very deeply.

They've basically announced a nearly decade spanning AAA game trilogy (or more) years ahead of time and they have to follow though and. And deliver on expectations while successfully integrating new things into a classic and heralded game without disappointing people. Idk how that can't be called ambitious.
I mean, if your definition of ambition is "They have invested a lot of money," then yes, it is ambitious.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uh except for the insane backlash they'd get from the people who did like it or want them to improve on the next one?
So the ambition you are talking about is just that splitting the game means that they are risking a backlash? That's hardly ambition.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I mean, if your definition of ambition is "They have invested a lot of money," then yes, it is ambitious.

I think that is what the OP's argument kinda comes down to. By that reasoning of course, any game development (especially AAA) is always ambitious, cause you invest a lot of money without guarantees you will make it back.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So the ambition you are talking about is just that splitting the game means that they are risking a backlash? That's hardly ambition.
Then how would you guys define ambition?

Aiming to successfully retell the story of a classic game in multiple parts that massively expand the scope of the game over the next 7 or so years and please the fans at the same time isn't a lofty goal?

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill

I get what you're saying, but I think it would actually make it less risky. If they were to remake FF7 in one package, all of those resources would have to be spent up-front. If they release it in parts, they can scale the budget of subsequent releases if the previous ones don't sell to their expectations, or if their marketing research warns them of a drop in prospective sales. The FF13 games got noticeably lower budget with each release for instance.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017

- The popularity of the IP is precisely what makes splitting the game feasible, since fans will 'let it go' to dive back into their beloved world

- One would say the truly ambitious thing would be to recreate the full scope of the original FFVII in this style within a single game, because of the ridiculous time and budget required

All in all, they are in fact taking a safer approach, splitting the game into parts, and giving themselves breathing room to pivot and adjust their creative / strategic approach based on customer and market input.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I kinda hope the idea of splitting up what used to be one game into a bunch of games that span multiple console generations doesn't become a thing, but I'm onboard for the remake because I adore ff7.

Resident evil 2 seems to be the ideal middle ground for remake ambition.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Then how would you guys define ambition?

Aiming to successfully retell the story of a classic game in multiple parts that massively expand the scope of the game over the next 7 or so years and please the fans at the same time isn't a lofty goal?
It seems a fairly safe way and with little risk of earning a lot of money taking advantage of nostalgia and how much the graphics sell, yes.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying, but I think it would actually make it less risky. If they were to remake FF7 in one package, all of those resources would have to be spent up-front. If they release it in parts, they can scale the budget of subsequent releases if the previous ones don't sell to their expectations, or if their marketing research warns them of a drop in prospective sales. The FF13 games got noticeably lower budget with each release for instance.
I mean, kind of what I'm saying is that they COULD have done it one package. The game could've just been easily graphics and gameplay changes alone, like RE2. With the same length, pacing and everything else. Add voice acting, new cutscenes and Fans would've been fine with that.

Wouldn't you say it's way more ambitious to go for what they're going for now?

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'm not sure about the "hitherto undreamt" part, but I do respect that they stayed away from more of a straight shot-for-shot style remake which is still something millions of people would still have been entirely pleased with. Doing things differently is a little risky when the top selling point you're putting out there is nostalgia, and I'm glad that's seemingly not the only selling point they're going for.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about the "hitherto undreamt" part, but I do respect that they stayed away from more of a straight shot-for-shot style remake which is still something millions of people would still have been entirely pleased with. Doing things differently is a little risky when the top selling point you're putting out there is nostalgia, and I'm glad that's seemingly not the only selling point they're going for.
Avengers: Infinity War joke lol

But Yeah, this is what I'm pretty much saying.

Which wasn't even the point of the OP lol

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
A bit of an exaggeration, but I get you OP, they are at least not playing it 100% safe.
They're really going for it. They want it something they can be very proud of, I'd guess?

However - I do wonder FF7R isn't called FF7R: Part One?
Wouldn't that be a slightly more honest title?

Is the next one FF7R-2?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
there's not many companies that could remake a game and have it hyped like how SE has FF7 remake hyped up.

from Nintendo all i could think of is OoT and even that game got a partial remake already which reduces a lot of the impact a full remake announcement would have.

OoT, PoP Sands of time, Mass Effect/Kotor, Final Fantasy 6,

It's a pretty short list

Edit: Pokémon Red/Blue would also be in that list but Gamefreak messed that up with the Letsgo remakes

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Remaking one of their most popular games of all time with a remix of their other popular games series already established combat system while trying to sell us 1/3 of the original games scope is super brave OP.