• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
The audio mixing is horrible in stereo too once you're nearing the boss fight, voices sound muffled as hell.

I think it's just bad audio mixing in general, not specifically 5.1, which is better because it makes it more likely it'll be fixed.

Stereo too?
Yeah, then it does sound like they hadn't finished the mix by the time they did the demo.

Apr 19, 2018

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I want to play it but it might spoil the game for me. It looks great from what I've seen but then again it better look good given dev time and resources.

The biggest selling point of the game will be how they stretch it out. There's so much unknown about that.

Does the demo have summons?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I want to play it but it might spoil the game for me. It looks great from what I've seen but then again it better look good given dev time and resources.

The biggest selling point of the game will be how they stretch it out. There's so much unknown about that.

Nah, no summons.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Was that from the Compilation?
If so, it's kind of incredible how much from the Compilation I've completely forgotten about...
This is all from the original game. The entire Mideel recovery sequence involves explicitly going over Cloud meeting Tifa again and his confusion about who he is.

Man...sometimes I wonder how much people actually remember of the old game beyond Midgar. I see a lot of comparisons to its writing being shallow/bad because of the localization being rough in some places and confusion about things that are almost all explicitly in the game.

Maybe that's why they're leaving no room for subtelty in the new direction.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Replayed the demo and I am almost sure this is what I wanted gameplay wise from FFXV.
Same. This is a really great blend of turn based/ATB combat with some action RPG sensibilities.

People have been making KH comparisons, but it feels more like a more dynamic evolution of FFXIII's combat to me. And that's a good thing.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know that I wasn't the only one with audio problems.

Also the camera got really annoying after the boss fight. In tight spaces I could barely see the enemies as they would bounce around everywhere and camera wouldn't be able to follow them at all.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
The demo is awesome. The graphics are like everybody dreamed a FFVII remake would be.The combat system is at last great!, far better than FFXV's mess system and way more tactical that KH 3 super easy system. Only complaint is the camera, above all with Barret and flying enemies.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I've only just jumped off the train and wow, these graphics are insane. Trying it on Classic just to see what's what.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
I played the demo yesterday with german voices and they are overall pretty good just like in XV.
But is it just me or are the sound mixing just not very good?
I mean during the cutscenes it was everything perfekt mixed, but during the normal battles the voices were low also some soundeffects. Is it just my tv or did someone also had these issues?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been an amazing updated trip to the past.
I can't think of anything bad to say, even on base PS4 it was pretty much perfect on every level and went beyond my wildest hopes for a remake.
Can't wait for April...

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the PS3 tech demo (which really kicked off the whole REMAKE saga) is like night and day compared to what we're getting. I don't just mean in terms of graphically fidelity, but the entire mood matches better to the original game.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is it best to hit square for combos like: tap, tap, tap, hold? Or just keep tapping and only using hold when enemies are grouped together to hit them all? Basically what I'm asking is: should you stick to taps for single enemies and holds for groups?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Oh dang, this demo doesn't save at all? Had to quit out about 20 minutes into it and now I have to restart. They should warn you. :( Oh well! Will try it again tonight.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really going to try this but I caved. Presentation is gorgeous, like damn it looks so good.

Surprised how easy to get into the combat was. Found it intuitive and very fluid which was surprising given some of the impressions I've read about it. The scorpion fight was really fun, switching between characters felt super natural. Will be cool to see how other bosses are treated later on.

Really can't wait till April, can't believe we are nearly there.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
The demo does a terrible job of teaching people how to play. It presents these systems to the player, but they can get by while ignoring most of them thanks to the overabundance of healing.
I think I used 15 potions during the boss fight and I have no idea how I could've done better. If this is the game's tutorial, it failed massively.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I think I used 15 potions during the boss fight and I have no idea how I could've done better. If this is the game's tutorial, it failed massively.

The boss fight is absolutely dreadful. It has about 10X too much HP. It's not hard because it's punishing; it's only challenge comes from the fact that it takes so long that all the unavoidable damage eventually adds up and so you just have to spam potions. Needs a pretty hefty HP reduction in my opinion.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The boss fight is absolutely dreadful. It has about 10X too much HP. It's not hard because it's punishing; it's only challenge comes from the fact that it takes so long that all the unavoidable damage eventually adds up and so you just have to spam potions. Needs a pretty hefty HP reduction in my opinion.
It really doesn't take that long if you work with weaknesses and stagger.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
So Summary for a better combat experience:

- Barret can tank with his buff ( L1 + Square )
- Barret can heal your group he has Cura
- Barret can fill the stagger bar FAST AS FUCK with this L1+Triangle
- Set your camera far for everything
- Set combat to FREE COMBO ( check the gif above )
- The boss shows what attack is he going to use to you can react or block dodge etc
- Use magic.. the characters even tell you mid battle that the scorpion is weak vs thunder
- Use your BTC always.. Melee is only a way to fill the bar.. your real damage comes from using the BTC bar on both characters
- Actually read the tutorials and don't skip them
- Have fun

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Assuming you mean the laser (since I can't open the SE link right now), watching that video again, you can block or just stand out on the bridge, since it looks like it only fires the laser at either the beams or a character close to it - it completely ignores Barret firing at it from the bridge area at the 2m mark.

I meant the emp burst that he uses.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Its rough at first but you can beat it with strategy

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Square should hire whatever VA company does From Software's North American voice direction and translation.

Oct 26, 2017

It's the first tiny sliver of the game, even if you're unfamiliar with the story of FF VII there's nothing here that would spoil the experience of the full game.
At the very least I'd recommend jumping in just do you can get a handle on the way combat works. Having a bit of practice before the full game will make your experience better imo.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So Summary for a better combat experience:

- Barret can tank with his buff ( L1 + Square )
- Barret can heal your group he has Cura
- Barret can fill the stagger bar FAST AS FUCK with this L1+Triangle
- Set your camera far for everything
- Set combat to FREE COMBO ( check the gif above )
- The boss shows what attack is he going to use to you can react or block dodge etc
- Use magic.. the characters even tell you mid battle that the scorpion is weak vs thunder
- Use your BTC always.. Melee is only a way to fill the bar.. your real damage comes from using the BTC bar on both characters
- Actually read the tutorials and don't skip them
- Have fun

This. So many people are just mashing attack and then complaining that they need to heal a bunch/aren't doing damage. I would also add it's better to block than roll, if you see the attack coming quick enough roll can help you get away but you don't get i-frames, so just tank it.
Barret's overcharge is also really good to get ATB if you need to heal in a pinch.

Oct 25, 2017
hehe, what did you think of it? I cant wait to play as tifa
I loved it, which surprised me. Was expecting much less, and also expected to be way more turned off by the lack of consistent damage avoiding than I am.

There's something just inherently fun in taking advantage of any opportunity to switch characters and dealing more damage. Any attack with an animation that goes on a bit longer and I'm already switching. It feels amazing.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
How the fucking hell were you supposed to know fire instantly destroys the scorpion barrier?

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
It truly stands out how the character and enemy designs are both great-looking and very loyal to the original game. A testament to great character design and use of limited resources on the PS1. In fact, I'd say this renewed art strikes a perfect note against the bloated and overcomplicated designs you see in many games today.

Oct 27, 2017
I only played FFVII last year and I'm not a big fan. It was fine, better in some ways than I expected. I'm not a fan of the genre so it was never going to win me over completely.

This remake seems to be something special. I have no emotional attachment to the original but the opening of the demo was very impressive. The music hit some nostalgia nerves shouldn't exist for me.

I'm very impressed and happy for FF fans who have waited for this for so long.

I can only imagine it's a similar feeling as me playing Shenmue 3 or the Resident Evil 2 REmake.

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it, which surprised me. Was expecting much less, and also expected to be way more turned off by the lack of consistent damage avoiding than I am.

There's something just inherently fun in taking advantage of any opportunity to switch characters and dealing more damage. Any attack with an animation that goes on a bit longer and I'm already switching. It feels amazing.

oQy6uqlE19F7xjMHtDX7hmjLlDuq-BvFrz9f8SfenoMzLsLMyT21finQlHi6ReSymVPOK4JhzH0CNlkzWtBrxgBivUfHj9-3xIR2TvVJwNR0rqROKnNLoJCIOvGT_Z6ZLOc1APmqZfMR1CqabhfZhYbFe3IGXWm1K9tAOYzGDEr3PFpr9S5DhbWKwaflhiKd8FT2XuIdFcDHQHzcZCxZA_eXFGU6GZzoI880C3hsNlyRGNPARqF3VU1rux_fFjCnI7cVfRTcG3CLVx3oAUTsGKIYzrOHxCmqEdqmsSz22SEAoaI5D8w4Z269TEmbTpbJx5HGW3qF4Rv8BtEIH_5d6KSKMbMMh_a9a2KRR91TMmfK-D2ahcMidH9pUmvata_4tcfAyFSJ8lC8vh_cYHwnz7FQDC3AchbJTAOuzp7UN5PINcfcPmj4io51F4KwEd39FMgCtHu1k6f1W4BIXmgfQzZ1XeBvSJwIDsu-OzmRMU1ou32YWFEEmRbG8mDyLVya-aRVFRTQ_X6bzSnLm4sTjijXIhDPN3cv6n5kXtq4xmgohWBke8Lceo_7k-PuK6X8_OgW15Yp1hLrMtrhKi0M7e7OHI1KlLAi27vrSS8-qH7H6O_XBrzbkcWuABakvHpD2YFkf7kWuuLv5MSXDAdlcfb4lipblCxJbMXKHKgLEb95MDPZBhohTOA=w800-h450-no

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The audio mixing is horrible in stereo too once you're nearing the boss fight, voices sound muffled as hell.

I think it's just bad audio mixing in general, not specifically 5.1, which is better because it makes it more likely it'll be fixed.
Yeah it was pretty noticable. I actually had to raise the volume up more than I usually would from my sweet spot volume. Feeling confident it'll get fixed by release but not a game breaker for me.
I dont get the complaints about Barret, he is exactly the way he was in the OG game. Also, his VA is pretty solid.

FF VII wasnt dark all the time.
Love what they did with him overall. You defintiely get the same vibes from the original, but with a more modern sensible take.

Overall, really enjoyed the demo. The combat felt like a genuine evolution of the turn based combat from the main game (as someone who hasn't played FFXV). You kinda get the best of both worlds really, you get the action button mashing combat for something like a DMC with the tactical elements of the older games that make you aware of all your information as you're playing. I don't see myself ever playing the classic mode personally because it just feels too similar to normal, but just assisted. Definitely looking forward to the full(well quarter full) game!

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the biggest FF7 fan there is, it's my GOAT game and i've played it i don't know how many times.
This is a dream come true, it's perfect and i absolutely love it.

Have played it on easy though and it's faaaaaaar too easy lol. Will give it a try on normal tomorrow :)