• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Feels like a way more refined version of episode Gladio with actually good and interesting party mechanics. I was glued to my seat with that boss and that's was just with handling 2 characters while constantly feeling like someone was going to die. Good stuff I'm confident.

Oct 26, 2017
Did a second run today after someone let me know you can fire the scorpions barrier

Did the boss without taking a hit (block damage only), i am really impressed by this combat. Its feels turn based but action, rather than action with turn based elements.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.
Yeah, I would want to avoid any spoilers.
Ig you want to avoid spoilers, I would stay out of ANY FF7 related thread.

I think it will become impossible at some point though, as the game is so old people post open spoilers in thread titles... I wonder how this is going to affect younger players and those playing FF7 for the first time with the remake...

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I just finished it and... I'm sad.. it disappointed me tbh.

I love the original with all my heart, and I went into this with an open mind for all the new features including the combat. Despite the game looking gorgeous and the music being great, the combat was just not engaging for me (it felt too much like kingdom hearts which I'm not a fan of), and the character dialogue felt amateur.

I think I'll wait until it comes out on PC.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I've beaten the demo 6 times now and loved it every time especially once I got the hang of the combat. I was so worried about this game before because XV was just terrible, but I'm happy to say that most of my fears have been wiped away.

I'm probably going to go on a media blackout to avoid spoilers now. Why can't April 10th be tomorrow dammit.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The dialogue is bad anime and I hate Barrets voice but the game looks great and the slo-mo menu thing is a great idea. Feels like a AAA cheesy shounen anime and im here for the hype stuff and the good art design (never played FF7).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV's combat was also nowhere near as chaotic and spammy as many still make it out to be.

No denying FF7R is an improvement, though.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't dislike the music, it's a really good orchestral interpretation of the original music used in the game, however, I was kind of hoping for a bit more "electronica" so it had a bit more unique sound than just straight up "classical movie score."
I'd wait to see the rest of the game first. Airbuster's rendition of still more fighting sounds closer to the original and there'll doubtless be others.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
I'm listening to it now. It sounds fantastic. Exactly the kind of thing they need to expand on to give Midgar its own narrative arc.

Edit: Word of warning, it gets SUPER spoilery. Holy shit.

Hmm, I usually watch all of Max's FF7 videos but I might actually resist temptation and give this one a miss if its that spoilery. Want to experience the story changes blind if I can. Seen too much already!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I love the original with all my heart, and I went into this with an open mind for all the new features including the combat. Despite the game looking gorgeous and the music being great, the combat was just not engaging for me (it felt too much like kingdom hearts which I'm not a fan of), and the character dialogue felt amateur.
I loved the combat changes. Over the years I've gotten a bit tired of turn-based systems. I wouldn't say I'm in a rush or anything but I like when combat goes faster. I've played so many JRPGs in my time that I kind of hate having to sit through battle introductions / win poses and all that.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really I think calling this combat system action rpg is a bit misleading. By and large its the ATB system, just inbetween waiting for your bas to fill up youre pressing buttons to do attacks. Its interesting.

I don't think the tutorial guide as is, is very effective at conveying whats going on here. I had to play it a few times to really get an understanding for what the system was going for. But really youre only doing attacks to build your atb bars or dodge/block damage. Its neat, I think I could see myself really liking it once I spend more time with it and get into more than just this demo. But by and large it really is turn based combat. Just in between your turns youre doing stuff to help build the bars faster.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I feel like the combat is going to get even better once we can play around with materia and summons. Once you get the hang of how battle system flows, it's so good.

I wonder if the ATB will take a page from 13. As you level up you get more gauges to play around with.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I love people calling the writing amateur as if the OG FFVII isn't written like a guy that barely knows Japanese (or English, for that matter) wrote it

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I love people calling the writing amateur as if the OG FFVII isn't written like a guy that barely knows Japanese (or English, for that matter) wrote it
This. No matter how you slice it, it's an improvement over the original writing.

also it's a story written for (and largely about) teenagers, so if you played it 23 years ago you shouldn't expect the writing to reflect your tastes now.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Resetera has the strangest relationships with games. Wants them to explain nothing, then explain everything, wants to remove all indicators but then will complain there's no clear direction.

It's not so much that they don't explain some things that bothers me, but the complete inconsistency of which they decide to explain. For example they'll spend a tutorial dialogue to explain the most mundane of all things imaginable (e.g.: arrows on the floor will trigger an automatic action, or some switches required you to hold Triangle instead). I mean really? But nothing about Magic and how it works? Okay. Sure.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but it didn't explain the following:

- Item/Magic usage tied to ATB.
- That you actually have Magic, how it works, and how it depletes MP. (just assumes you know from FF franchise).
- Shortcuts.
- How Barret's Overcharge is not just a charging move but actually is the most powerful attack he has against those turrets and you might as well not use anything else.
- Cloud's attack can actually go airborne.
- ...and plenty of other stuff I'm probably forgetting about.
I wanna say I agree with you on this. The game did a terrible job of explaining combat and its why you see so many people here having to play it several times before understanding whats going on with it. Hopefully they do a better job of this at release.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It's not so much that they don't explain some things that bothers me, but the complete inconsistency of which they decide to explain. For example they'll spend a tutorial dialogue to explain the most mundane of all things imaginable (e.g.: arrows on the floor will trigger an automatic action, or some switches required you to hold Triangle instead). I mean really? But nothing about Magic and how it works? Okay. Sure.
How are you THIS bothered by that.

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017

I'm sorry what is there to explain exactly? If anything you're missing the mark because the game doesn't tell you the touchpad will bring up the enemy info screen, which would be helpful. But magic is just, fucking select magic and cast it on the thing.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched through the intro again...

That logo hitting and music swell gets me every time, every version of that game.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Not to nitpick, but I felt like the Reactor atmosphere didn't live up to the original...

latest.png

The exterior looked incredible, though.

ESH4rLwXUAE_eX4
What?? The atmosphere was perfectly nailed.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I can't relate to this at all and it baffles me that people can't adapt to that kind of media. Yes, it is anime, and yes, it is goofy, edgy and over the top, it comes with the territory. That's how anime is. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just different.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017

This addresses some of the things mentioned.

- magic is powerful.
- character switching is important
- meele is only an ends to fill de ATB bar
Etc

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
OK I've just done another battle with Mr Scorpion and fared better this time, used maybe 4 potions and not 15 😂 I changed the setting for target switching to d pad rather than right stick which worked much better for me, as I like to rotate the camera when locked on to get a better view, but that kept switching my target (eg when going for the legs). Used Barret's Overcharge a lot and made sure to keep MP topped up to use Thunder, and then get Cloud in for some specials to try and build stagger. Still didn't manage to stagger it often as every time I get close it has a fucking change phase cutscene and resets the gauge lol. And I got a limit right at the end and landed Cross Slash as the killing blow which felt good.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
What other intros are as good as the in this game (both the original and the remakel)? It's always been one of my favourites, maybe my overall favourite, it's perfect in how it gets right into the action as the cutscene ends with the fantastic soundtrack. I like how FFX does the same, although not as good. Lost Odyssey has a pretty great intro too.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Did a second run today after someone let me know you can fire the scorpions barrier

Did the boss without taking a hit (block damage only), i am really impressed by this combat. Its feels turn based but action, rather than action with turn based elements.

Awesome, but I think the limit mechanic incentive you play aggressive and getting hits, I saw someone playing and used two times the limitbreak on this fight.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Replayed the demo and I am almost sure this is what I wanted gameplay wise from FFXV.