• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Is it just me or is the 5.1 mix screwed?
In the intro everything sounds great but during gameplay, the voices are REALLY LOUD (but naturally coming from the central speaker).
Music is a bit muffled as well.

This is an old demo so there is hoping they tuned it for the release.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Just played the demo. Good shit.

I liked the campy voice acting. Barret was pretty much exactly how I remembered him from the old game. Cloud's deadpan "Get help" in response to Barret's speech in the elevator got a laugh out of me.

I loved the music, especially the new Bombing Mission theme. The moment close to the start where there is a brief second of downtime between your party and the song quiets down, only to then seamlessly transition to the chorus once everyone moves out...That really made me smile.

I also enjoyed the combat. It was a lot to learn in such a short time, but I really got into it once I wrapped my head around it. I especially liked Cloud's slow-moving but heavy-hitting Punisher mode and how he would counter physical attacks while guarding. Kinda felt like I was playing as a futuristic samurai or something lol. Barret was pretty fun too, I liked his charge mechanic. His combat actually reminded me of Monster Hunter for some strange reason. I really can't wait to see how Tifa plays. I already know she's gonna be a blast to control. Also I noticed that there was a bestiary(?) in the demo, but I didn't really get a chance to look through it. Maybe next time.

The boss battle at the end was fairly easy. Thunder still works well against robots it seems. The thing is, I barely even remember the original version of that fight, but in Remake it is loud and bombastic and full of spectacle. Square really is going all-out for this remake, and I'm beginning to see why this is taking so long to release. I can only imagine how much money Square will throw at some of the later fights lol. Overall I really enjoyed the demo, and I can't wait to see the full game.

It's Matt Jones, who was in Breaking Bad.
Badger? No shit!

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Enjoyed what I played. Still do not like Barrett's voice but it's growing on me. The scorpion fight was tough but that may be because I was late at night when reflexes are low.
Still a day one game for me.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't even notice any poor voice acting. The only section I can think of that's questionable is Barrets elevator scene where he goe from 0 to 100 really quickly, but even then that's part of the script with Cloud abruptly telling him to get help.
Nah, there's no flat line reads or mispronunciations. What is everyone's criteria for good voice acting?

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of salt in here. I found the demo fantastic. Beautiful (pro), fun and I really like the combat system. I have zero issues with the button interface, camera (playing on 2), no jumping (was disappointed for 5 seconds and got over it). As with any game, once you get use to it, things start to smooth out. I believe people are going to want to play this like a rapid-fire, hack n' slash game similar to KH. Clearly, it's more tactical than that and patience is needed, especially when waiting for the right time to block or dodge. All that said, I think this is gunna be one hell of a game.
but i still ain't buyin it till it's discounted. the only salt i have here is them splitting this game into who knows how many titles. fuck that and fuck them. idc if this first entry is 60+ hours long. it's the principle of the matter. they're breaking the game up into multiple pieces and selling each for a full $60 retail value. square setting standards for things to come i see. how long till other studios follow suit. psh.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Lol this kotaku editor
VZ13l89.png

ESKRdCQWkAAmhRG

I remember when someone in this forum was arguing that journalists are better than your average players.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I must be doing something wrong, I have tough time with the boss.

Wiped on first try and managed to kill it second try with only 3 potion left.

I ended up blocking most of its attack as I can't get proper timing to dodge its attack (doesnt help camera dont pull back when attacking it as Cloud).

Also some of its attack barely have any tell, like the triple tail stab.

-_-

Edit : read some of the comments from a few pages back. Glad I'm not the only one that have trouble with the boss. Also while that Kotaku dude is hyperbole, he have point.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
One thing I would like is to place the boss health and sub-boss health bars in the corner of the screen or something, as well as the little info bar showing what attack they do.

What I find sometimes is I have to disengage lockon to see things like the emp blast so I have enough time to cancel Cloud's attacks and roll out of the way, getting ready to get back in. It can also just be hard to see that attack bar on the boss when things get really crazy.

I'm spoiled by FFXIV where you can just make the boss cast bar really big and put it right in the center of the screen. The thing is this game is less about reactions and more about decisions based on tells. It's a little more proactive I think. I do find that some of these tells are a little too quick tho, like the scorpion tail stab. You really can just get unlucky with that one. I wonder if there's some way to figure out when it comes out.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't put myself as an experienced gamer despite gaming for most of my life. These days I tend to put most games on easy because I don't have the patience to replay scenes. But I had no issue with the boss on normal (and was piss easy on easy the second play through). Challenging but never too hard to battle or understand the mechanics imo. Once you've got the battle system in check, using the correct weak points and attacks and don't treat it as a hack a slash and trying to dodge out of the way of all attacks, it works just as expected. Some battles are going to be quite tense and strategic later on.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The voice acting was first-class for a video-game but Barrett sounds like a caricature or something. It's just wrong to my american eyes and ears. I might have to play the game in Japanese where at least I can pretend Barrett is a Japanese character.

The music was perfect.
The combat felt great.
The enemies looked great.
Not sure about their bodies dissolving into Materia.

The framerate felt bad to me. I'm just used to 60FPS from gaming on PC and it was just bad and annoying. Is there going to be a high framerate mode @ 1080p on the PS4pro?

The rez was a bit soft but it didn't bother me much.

To be honest, the right thing to do is to play this game on PC or PS5 where it will be done justice, but I won't be able to resist the temptation. I guess I'll just replay it in 4K 60FPS in 5 years right before Part2 drops.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

The core is very different. Much cleaner and OSHA compliant.

the core looks and feels a lot more like the reactor 5 core from crisis core

once the game is released i think there will be a lot of comparison between the original and the remake (obviously), but i think it would be worth doing original -> crisis core -> remake because this seems to be taking *a lot* more design cues from the compilation era than is really being talked about

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Does anyone know how to change the in-game language? I'm in Asia (not Japan), but the demo is Japanese. I wonder if I can change it to English.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I must be doing something wrong, I have tough time with the boss.

Wiped on first try and managed to kill it second try with only 3 potion left.

I ended up blocking most of its attack as I can't get proper timing to dodge its attack (doesnt help camera dont pull back when attacking it as Cloud).

Also some of its attack barely have any tell, like the triple tail stab.

-_-

Edit : read some of the comments from a few pages back. Glad I'm not the only one that have trouble with the boss. Also while that Kotaku dude is hyperbole, he have point.

I found blocking and dodging are not very tuned, specially since the boss has a lot of attacks that look like they can be dodged but nope, you can't. You have to anticipate and run away manually.

I feel the core of the combat lies in the char switching because the ATB of your companions charges veeeeery slow so you have to control them for a while, charge, use the skill and change to another char, cycling them. Also this particular boss is made for Barret because:

- He holds thunder
- He holds cure
- he can hit the boss when it's on the walls

So his ATB must be maxed and used constantly. I didn't have any trouble once I got that.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I just realized, the combat reminds me of Mass Effect 2 and 3. The slowdown when selecting a skill and making them combo off of each other really has the same strategical values as ME. I guess that's why I am loving the combat so much.

For a Japanese game with english voices, I thought it was really good. I never thought that the voice acting is bad. The grunts are just anime mannerisms found in Japanese dialogue so it doesn't bother me, in fact I really appreciate that they made it work for English language.

Xion

Oct 27, 2017
Not read too much of the earlier pages, but I was curious if anyone has the same volume related issues as me with the dialogue in this demo. For the cut scenes, the dialogue is loud and clear, then as soon as it goes back in-game, the dialogue is whisper quiet (like quite a huge difference). I kept having to switch the volume up and down as I was playing as the transition was a little annoying with the levels. Not experienced this with other titles.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really still don't understand the hate for the voice acting.
Sure some of the dialogue sounds a bit unnatural but overall it's great I think, absolutely a good step above the usual jrpg.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I am so impressed by this demo. This is a Square Enix game, it has no right to be this polished and well thought out, considering some of their internal studio releases? FFXV's system is trash next to this.

The system modernises the ATB wonderfully and time will tell how deep can it get but it shows a lot of promise. They also did an amazing job on redesigns - they kept Nomura's artwork proportions while making it close to Advent Children's realism.

Hype. What a time to be alive.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I found blocking and dodging are not very tuned, specially since the boss has a lot of attacks that look like they can be dodged but nope, you can't. You have to anticipate and run away manually.

I feel the core of the combat lies in the char switching because the ATB of your companions charges veeeeery slow so you have to control them for a while, charge, use the skill and change to another char, cycling them. Also this particular boss is made for Barret because:

- He holds thunder
- He holds cure
- he can hit the boss when it's on the walls

So his ATB must be maxed and used constantly. I didn't have any trouble once I got that.

I think animation cancel for block/evade would do wonder haha.

But yeah you are right, seems like the battle would be easier with Barrett. Will do a second run and use Barrett this time.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
WRT Barett, if you deal enough damage while the boss is on the wall it will cancel its missile barrage.

So save a little ATB and overcharge for that section of the fight, maybe get Cloud to throw a fire out also.

I love this fighting system so much.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I made some comparisons to the original Bombing Mission:

The Train station has the same basic shape but is missing a lot of the pipes and stuff. I'm surprised they kept the same basic layout of the platforms and factory entrance. Glad they kept the clocktower in the factory.

They removed 1 room from the entrance to the reactor.
The main staircase is pretty faithful, though they added an extra floor in the big cube for more laser dodging.

Thanks! This is my main area of disappointment with the remake demo. It just looks like a generic city / industrial area that happens to have green / turquoise lighting. In the original it really feels like an old, layered, retrofitted city that has a patina of grit and grime on it. A lot of the areas feel too big and open also, though I know it's to accommodate the new combat system so that's tougher to compare.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Sure some of the dialogue sounds a bit unnatural but overall it's great I think, absolutely a good step above the usual jrpg.
All worked fine for me in game and was happy with most of it. And this is coming from someone who hated how the VA came across in the trailers.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Played for about 15 minutes, most of the voice acting seems fine.
Some of the Barret lines are a bit much, but since he was always portrayed as a short fused tough guy with a lot to say, it's ok.
I'm very curious about scenes later in the story.

It's kind of surreal playing this.
The music alone...

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Over-the-top wrestler Barret just feels right imo. He's over here cutting promos about how the planet is dying and Cloud is just having none of it lol.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
You can do that? Please elaborate on how cause that would drastically improve the combat for me. As far as I could tell there were no real combos in the demo.

Hmmmm. Yeah I guess I should elaborate. I meant it's not a specific combo dictated by the system. I just feel like issuing commands in order just as you would in mass effect 2 or 3. For example, When I have ATB for both Barret and Cloud, I'd use Thunder for Barret and then time the command for cloud just after the effective attack strikes. Or aiming for a stagger using Barret where I could time Barret's focused attack or override just about the time a Stagger is about to happen, then switch to Cloud in punisher mode to lay it on the enemy before finishing with a braver.

I guess I am making my own fun with the system. There would be so much more possibilities with more characters and different enemy types (such as the melee enemies at the last part of the demo.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I played the demo.
While I still love the KH-combat the most (as I'm very much into action and reaction games, and KH is brilliant in it), FF7R's combat is very interesting.

It is an interesting mix of light-action, "turn-base" and strategy. You really have to think through every special attack or item you use, while also coordinate your other party members and dodging. At the end, it make the boss fights quite intense and I like that.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Over-the-top wrestler Barret just feels right imo. He's over here cutting promos about how the planet is dying and Cloud is just having none of it lol.
That's a nice analogy.
He comes through kind of like a Wrestler struggling to do a promo, because he has a headache and has to scream.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
One thing that I really liked in the combat is how you can't just blindly throw your abilities at the boss because you can easily get stunned by his attacks which will cancel them making you lose your ATB bars for nothing.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts figured this out back in 2002. You have a limited amount of item slots for combat and using items takes time during which you are vulnerable.

This is just an idea, but I think they don't want use the KH's item system approach on purpose. Because I think they want FF7R to be more strategic and make you use of much more items then KH (like granades, andidotes, sleep bombs etc), while also make u think twice if you really want to sacrifice an ATB-bar for using items. And FF7R's system also rewards you by blocking (filling up ATB-Bar faster) or dodging and saving time.

For instance: you have low HP and no ATB-bar filled. To rescue this situation, you have to fill up an ATB-bar for using potion or vita magic. To do that, you have 3 options:
  • Go in defense and block enemy's attack.
  • Go in defense and dodge enemy's attack until the bar is filled
  • Go in offensve and attack the enemy to fill the bar faster, but this is a risk move as you can be attacked
All this make the fights quite intense and exciting (to me, at least)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I made some comparisons to the original Bombing Mission:

The Train station has the same basic shape but is missing a lot of the pipes and stuff. I'm surprised they kept the same basic layout of the platforms and factory entrance. Glad they kept the clocktower in the factory.

They removed 1 room from the entrance to the reactor.
The main staircase is pretty faithful, though they added an extra floor in the big cube for more laser dodging.

Camera angles did so much to set up mood and atmosphere in the original. Those backgrounds are seared into my mind.

Despite the scenery in the remake clearly being based on it, it felt like I was running through some whatever factory. I could barely recognize any of it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Camera angles did so much to set up mood and atmosphere in the original. Those backgrounds are seared into my mind.

Despite the scenery in the remake clearly being based on it, it felt like I was running through some whatever factory. I could barely recognize any of it.
Agreed. Those tweets are great but playing the demo through three times, I never felt I was in the same location as the original apart from the train station.

Oct 27, 2017
I had to laugh when I saw those "mercenaries" designs. They look like freaking high schoolers doing a play in costumes, could not believe for one second they were meant to do anything serious or important with all the smiles, jokes and careless attitude. I guess they were fine for a PS1 game, but with these ultra realistic graphics the anime tropes stand out a little bit too much.

Cloud and Barret also look ridiculous in their own way, but at least act like they're doing something dangerous... sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
God, I thought playing 3 times would be enough, but I just want to get home to play it a couple more, lmao.

And to think I'll likely wait for the PC version on top of that. >_<

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
as someone with little-to-no attachment to FF and JRPGs in general (outside of Persona), i liked this quite a bit. it has a really nice sense of style, and the voice acting is even pretty solid as well outside of the goofy anime grunting.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well. I mean it echoes how I felt about the demo as well. I understood it. Use lightning magic, stagger it, hit it much much, dodge away, hide behind cover.

It's just... That is not at all the combat loop I expect from a Final Fantasy game.

The combat like FFXIII and CC together so it does feel like a FF game.