• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
I thought that I always had time to evade, I just didn't always pay enough attention. Attacks are very well telegraphed, IMO. Like a milder version of Dark Souls, you have to think before you commit to an attack.

Ah fair enough. I definitely need another run through. Think at first I was reflexively pressing dodge just as the attack hit but of course that's too late as no dodge cancel.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Combat feels good.
Boss was terrible.
Camera is the biggest problem.

Overall, it was fine. Never played FF7 b4 so I might try it out at launch.

Sep 14, 2018
Healing is similarly frustrating, Cloud gets low on health - can't use item if ATB not charged - end up either waiting (incredibly slow), attacking and hoping he doesnt get hit, or guarding which also takes some damage, all just to give myself a chance to use a potion lol.

The problem with potions not costing anything is ending up with what happened in XV, where you can pause at any moment and spam healing items basically removing all challenge from the game. They could have gone with something other than using ATB bar like a separate cooldown I guess but that's just adding unnecessary complications when it can simply just be the way it is.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Really annoying there was no option for Japanese audio in the demo.
The dub wasn't too bad for the most part, except for Barrett who was freaking awful.
I don't know exactly what the actor was going for but it doesn't work.
Change your console system settings to Japanese. In game text and subtitles will still be in english.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Scorpion boss was awful in my opinion. Way too much HP and attacks that weren't telegraphed particularly well so it wasn't clear whtehr I needed to dodge, block, just eat it or what.

Combat against lesser enemies felt great fun though.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with potions not costing anything is ending up with what happened in XV, where you can pause at any moment and spam healing items basically removing all challenge from the game. They could have gone with something other than using ATB bar like a separate cooldown I guess but that's just adding unnecessary complications when it can simply just be the way it is.

Yeah I know it's to avoid item spam, but just feels a bit odd having to rush in and attack when you're trying to conserve health. I think it'd be better if your AI party members actually charged their ATB at a decent rate so you can switch to them for a heal but it seems to go up very slowly. I also think I just need more practice 😅

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I wish block was the L1 button and not R1 it's just easier to use the left hand side as your right hand is busy with attacks on the front buttons

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah I know it's to avoid item spam, but just feels a bit odd having to rush in and attack when you're trying to conserve health. I think it'd be better if your AI party members actually charged their ATB at a decent rate so you can switch to them for a heal but it seems to go up very slowly. I also think I just need more practice 😅
Barret's over charge pretty much means you'll always have fast ATB at a moments notice. Then just cast cure or toss a potion.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts figured this out back in 2002. You have a limited amount of item slots for combat and using items takes time during which you are vulnerable.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts figured this out back in 2002. You have a limited amount of item slots for combat and using items takes time during which you are vulnerable.
The only thing I thought that KH way might not work well is the amount of items I used in a battle. I used easily over 10 potions during the Scorpion boss fight... so I think the number restrictions might be weird here. If the demo is anything to go by, they give you lots of potions, and expected you to use a lot of them.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The only thing I thought that KH way might not work well is the amount of items I used in a battle. I used easily over 10 potions during the Scorpion boss fight... so I think the number restrictions might be weird here. If the demo is anything to go by, they give you lots of potions, and expected you to use a lot of them.
Might just be a case of git gud, items will be prohibited in hard mode.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Yeah, you have to heal BEFORE you're on low health. We're not in Kansas turn based anymore. It's not like potions take you to 100% at this stage in the game. Later on, I suspect we'll have way more ATB bars, so that you can keep one in reserve for healing, or the party will have a dedicated healer.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this kotaku editor
VZ13l89.png

ESKRdCQWkAAmhRG

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The opening scenes were so fantastic omg. I really hope this game is chock full of glorious CGI cutscenes like that.

I did find the combat to actually be pretty challenging and not just super flashy, which I dig. I wish you could just replay the boss fight over again, as I would like to see how I can do it better for practice to try and figure out how to identify the boss' attacks and get a feel for when to block or dodge. As long as it stays relatively balanced throughout the game I think the combat has a lot of promise. Definitely feels leagues better than FFXV or KHIII during their opening hours.

The writing for Jesse and Wedge in particular made those characters stand out so much more than the original did, and I loved the banter between the team throughout. If they keep this kind of quality for the whole game I think it could end up being really special.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Japanese people interact differently. There generally ARE a lot more huffs and hmms. Which is why it feels unnatural when translated to English. In the old days, translators could just change the text, but now they have to fit the animations.

I don't know enough about Japan to dispute that, but I still have trouble believing it's not just anime influence. I think I might have to look up a japanese sitcom or someting, just to see how dialogue comes across when real people are talking. I just realized I don't think I've ever heard of a non-anime show from Japan, so it could be interesting.

As for the game, I made it through Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF7R seems much better about dialogue than that at least, so I'll live.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish Cloud could do longer attack strings, though. Quick transitions from strings to dodges to weapon switches made XV's combat feel really nice compared to this.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Played it yesterday and let the main menu music play all the way through, such a great version of that track. Production values of this are through the roof, it looks amazing. Combat felt good for regular mobs, but during the scorpion boss I had to scramble more and used a lot of the potions I had. Took me a while to take him down. Kept thinking I was doing something wrong during the fight. In the final phase at least destroying a leg left him open for a stagger.

I think releasing this in parts is a great idea an sich, but I hope the gap between parts won't be 5 years. Definitely excited for the full game now, it took a while but it looks like Square-Enix threw everything they had at this thing.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I don't know enough about Japan to dispute that, but I still have trouble believing it's not just anime influence. I think I might have to look up a japanese sitcom or someting, just to see how dialogue comes across when real people are talking. I just realized I don't think I've ever heard of a non-anime show from Japan, so it could be interesting.

As for the game, I made it through Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF7R seems much better about dialogue than that at least, so I'll live.
Lived there for two years, it's a thing. Now, the emoting is definitely more exaggerated, but that's not just an "anime thing". Try watching something like Samurai Gourmet on Netflix, that's how they act on live-action shows too.

I'm fine with people not being able to take the Japanese style of acting seriously, but I'm so tired of seeing it dismissed as "anime shit".

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I know I need to git gud at the combat. 14 portions against the boss is not good. I will play the demo a few more times and work an that. I learnt from my first go to use my skills a lot more not just rely on basic attacks.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I made some comparisons to the original Bombing Mission:

The Train station has the same basic shape but is missing a lot of the pipes and stuff. I'm surprised they kept the same basic layout of the platforms and factory entrance. Glad they kept the clocktower in the factory.

They removed 1 room from the entrance to the reactor.
The main staircase is pretty faithful, though they added an extra floor in the big cube for more laser dodging.

The core is very different. Much cleaner and OSHA compliant.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this combat system will make more people appreciate the one on the XIII series down the line.

XIII-2 is a good game.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this combat system will make more people appreciate the one on the XIII series down the line.

XIII-2 is a good game.

XIII is boringly easy, but XIII-2 is where it was it. Loved that one. Almost the same evolution as FFX to FFX-2.

I was surprised that the German dub was better than the English dub, but I will still play with Japanese dub.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Trying this for the third time. Jesus I'm not enjoying the voice acting and holy shit all of the grunts and sighs. What were they thinking?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I made some comparisons to the original Bombing Mission:

The Train station has the same basic shape but is missing a lot of the pipes and stuff. I'm surprised they kept the same basic layout of the platforms and factory entrance. Glad they kept the clocktower in the factory.

They removed 1 room from the entrance to the reactor.
The main staircase is pretty faithful, though they added an extra floor in the big cube for more laser dodging.

The core is very different. Much cleaner and OSHA compliant.

Love stuff like this. I tried to get my bearings of the environments but still missed some things. Just feels so great to explore the game with the new perspective.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

XIII-2 is a good game.
I thought combat system is one thing that was always appreciated for XIII series.
I have many issues with XIII series but combat is certainly not one of them. They were all fantastic.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
XIII is boringly easy, but XIII-2 is where it was it. Loved that one. Almost the same evolution as FFX to FFX-2.

I was surprised that the German dub was better than the English dub, but I will still play with Japanese dub.

XIII-2 is WAY easier than XIII though. It's better, but both sequels (X-2 and XIII-2) are way easier than their predecessors, unfortunately.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Square has always had terrible voice direction, but it's been getting worse in recent years. KH3 was really bad on this front too.
Yeah. It's like whoever did the direction has never actually heard two people converse. It sounds like they just got people in rooms and told them to read lines without any direction at all actually.