• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Just played through it, thought it was really good! I enjoyed the combat quite a bit more than I thought I would. Now just gotta hope that the game is really content rich (with good content of course).

I didn't have too many issues with the camera but it would be nice to be able to adjust it a bit. I had some issues targeting the boss's generator though, had to basically rely on Barret's second ability to take down his shield. Really glad the game allows you to pause to choose abilities because I don't have the reflexes for really nuanced moves.

Another thought, not only did I find the combat fun, but this has got to be one of the most cinematic and fun to look at combat systems ever. It just looks and feels completely kick ass.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
The demo build is from around November. The build certain people got to play is from February and has a few bit other things. Like
Added scenes and such.

ghgjjh.png

I wasn't that hype before but now I am after playing and seeing things.

OP
OP
Lunatic

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Something a lot of people don't seem to realize but the touchpad opens a bestiary for the enemies when you're fighting them

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what I expected but I actually loved it and I'm totally sold. Outside of the questionable acting and dumb anime "uh" and "ah" responses instead of actual dialogue, I think the demo is fucking awesome. I love the combat, the music, the graphics are really nice; it's all great.

My nostalgia for this game isn't nearly is deep as some. I beat it years after it released (well into the PS2 era) and really enjoyed it, but I missed the original hype window.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just finished it.

+ Nostalgia bomb
+ Visuals and presentation are top-notch
+ I enjoyed the banter/dialogue, even if it's hammy, it was fun and endearing
+ Looks and runs great on PS4 pro

- Combat is atrocious. Fuck off nowadays JRPGs.
- Music is... ruined? Seriously. It has no punch to it. Still More Fighting needs those guitars back. Everything sounds kinda soulless.
- The intro song too. I was expecting the little drum beat to kick in and it didn't and that irrationally annoyed me.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Not a day 1 purchase, will probably wait for PC so I can mod out the music or something, and maybe there'll be some good combat mods by then too.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I don't normally play games of this type, as in I didn't put much time into FF15 and Kingdom Hearts 3, but I found the combat here to feel messy. Especially the boss fights. Though I can can see it getting better, by the end I was stunning enemies once I new their weaknesses, but it didn't leave a good first impression. Even the visuals, though great, looked cluttring during combat.
I was impressed because it reminded me of Sekiro in the sense that... this isn't a game you can brute force. Sure, Sekiro is way, way more demanding. But both this game and Sekiro basically sit you down as the player and just tell you "listen, you either learn the game, or we're gonna stomp you. HARD". The boss isn't that difficult if you exploit his lightning weakness effectively, but if you just tried to spam attacks, I can see it taking a loooong time

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Just finished it.

+ Nostalgia bomb

- Music is... ruined? Seriously. It has no punch to it. Still More Fighting needs those guitars back. Everything sounds kinda soulless.
- The intro song too. I was expecting the little drum beat to kick in and it didn't and that irrationally annoyed me.
[Hidden content]

Not a day 1 purchase, will probably wait for PC so I can mod out the music or something, and maybe there'll be some good combat mods by then too.

Im right there with you almost exactly.

Nostalgia galore (when the train started I got chills remembering 1997 and playing the demo the first time), fun characters, great graphics...but not my favorite combat and the music just didn't have the same feel (and that missing intro drum was annoying). I might cancel my preorder for now...but I'm not sure...I might just need to get use to the combat

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Your not inspiring a ton of confidence in me when i play this tomorrow
I played it, there's no FF XIII here (although the combat in that game isn't bad, but it takes forever to actually make sense lol). This feels like a clumination of ALL Final Fantasy games, the staggering, the ATB, the magic... ah. So good.

The combat is closer to a mix of Kingdom Hearts with Dragon Age with a bit of FF XII - it's neither of those in particular. But it's phenomenal, I can see why some people aren't getting it quite right just yet, it did take a bit to click with me, mixing between Operator and Punisher or whatever the hell that mode was, micro-managing, this is gonna be pretty tough by the end of the game with status effects, crazier enemies and even more party members

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I played it, there's no FF XIII here (although the combat in that game isn't bad, but it takes forever to actually make sense lol). This feels like a clumination of ALL Final Fantasy games, the staggering, the ATB, the magic... ah. So good.

The combat is closer to a mix of Kingdom Hearts with Dragon Age with a bit of FF XII
which dragon age? Inquistion?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
which dragon age? Inquistion?
only in the sense that time slows down when you choose to select an action so uh, basically any of them.
I don't know why but Cloud sometimes randomly switches targets when attacking.
happened to me at first, if you click the Right Stick, it should be fixed. Only pressing it once kinda soft-locked to an enemy, pressing it again stopped it from doing that

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. The combat is so disappointing. Not for me at all.

music is also very disappointing so far. The songs are still good, but it Isn't as good as I thought they would be (so that's on me).

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
A little underwhelming, but it is the early game and we've seen this part of the game quite a bit over the past year. Given that FF7 will be existing throughout the entirety of next gen most likely, I hope these linear corridor sections don't become too boring by 2027 or whenever they finish all their parts.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I kinda wanted to wait for a PC version for mods, cheats, and low loading times but I enjoyed the demo enough to maybe day 1 it as an early b-day gift to myself.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I played it twice and now I'm good with the fighting system! Even beat the 20 min mode. I'm so ready for next month!

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Nice to see the game performance is pretty good on the Pro. Didn't notice any frame rate/pacing issues. Coming from playing 15 recently, that is welcome.

The graphics are gorgeous; particularly love the colours and lighting. They've nailed it in that regard.

Enjoyed the combat too. The boss was a challenge, but I suspect it was more due to me not fully understanding how to play yet.

It has been 20 years since I've felt this positive about a Final Fantasy game - roll on April.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it.
Combat was interesting, but the boss fight was just too long without providing any extra challenge.
I remember it being shorter, yet teaching you the same basic things in the original (though I may be remembering wrong).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
First time I played I was struggling a bit with the boss because my brain automatically made me play the game like Kingdom Hearts which I was playing just before this game... I was trying to attack-cancel into dodge for boss's big moves, trying to rely on non-existent dodge roll i-frame, not utilizing the other party member, etc.
Second time playing it I was doing much better....
I can't wait to play it again when I come home.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just finished it.

+ Nostalgia bomb

[Hidden content]

The variation in music will be nuts, airbuster has guitars.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
First time I played I was struggling a bit with the boss because my brain automatically made me play the game like Kingdom Hearts which I was playing just before this game... I was trying to attack-cancel into dodge for boss's big moves, trying to rely on non-existent dodge roll i-frame, not utilizing the other party member, etc.
Second time playing it I was doing much better....
I can't wait to play it again when I come home.

I really hope they fix the dodge tbh

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I am starting to think it's intentional design choice.... like it's not meant to be used like how we usually use dodge for action games... more of quicker way of moving your position I guess...
I do wish it was a bit more snappy too.

Hm.... I'm not sure about that. Seems pointless to animate it as a dodge roll if it's just for quicker repositioning.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it.

+ Nostalgia bomb

[Hidden content]

Yeah, the armor is terrible. And completely unnecessary.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Man this was pretty fuckin cool. FF7 is probably my favorite RPG of all time, so I can't wait for the full game.

Positives:

Absolutely love the combat system

Love Clouds design and voice. They nailed it.

Liking Barrett too! Not bothered by his voice at all

Very nice transitions from gameplay to cg cutscenes

Beautiful Graphics...

Negatives:

...for the most part. The environments and some of the fireeffects look quite dated and I expected it to be a little more polished looking, but it's just a demo so who knows that the finished product will bring.

The grunting...why? Waaaay too much of that

The voice acting could be better, coming off a bit cringey at times, but that's me getting into nitpick territory

Cant fucking wait for this game