• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not a single jaggy, so crisp, no dithering on hair like FF15, AO is top notch, no flickering shadows and all hi res shadow maps and textures, SSR is high on floors, ceilings and everything reflective
Overall resolution is great and no frame pacing issues at all.
Clearly the best looking UE4 game to date.

I don't know how they can improve the graphics overall on PS5, maybe toss up the High render character models in the game (those with peach fuzz), add RT, and lock to native 4K and 60 FPS and you have a a next-gen game.

Edit: I tried it on PS4 Pro. I don't know about base PS4 version.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've figured out a few things like how the Operator stance has crap recovery so you really have to know what you're fighting while in it, if it's safe to commit like that. Barret can interrupt attacks with his ranged moves (at least against the scorpion). This is more than I ever expected a FFVII remake to offer, fighting wise at least.

I can see why they didn't put Red in this. Just Cloud and Barrett have so much going on in their level 7 forms. Imagine how much work Red would need on top. Can't wait anyway

What is 'free target'?

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No really does anyone know of a good run down of combat? I keep reading conflicting info like "you hold square down to attack" vs "no you have to press square repeatedly to attack". I thought both just did different things but others are saying its one or the other.

What is the difference between operator and punish stances?

Any help would be great. Want to give it another playthrough where I actually understand what the hell I'm doing.
I'm not sure if anyone replied yet but if you hold down square you do AOE attacks so it's easier to hit more enemies. Punisher mode is more of an "All-out Attack" mode. You move a lot slower but you deal more damage so you want to use it when you're up an enemies butt and/or have them close to staggered.

Oct 25, 2017
I've figured out a few things like how the Operator stance has crap recovery so you really have to know what you're fighting while in it, if it's safe to commit like that. Barret can interrupt attacks with his ranged moves (at least against the scorpion). This is more than I ever expected a FFVII remake to offer, fighting wise at least.

I can see why they didn't put Red in this. Just Cloud and Barrett have so much going on in their level 7 forms. Imagine how much work Red would need on top. Can't wait anyway

What is 'free target'?
Free target makes it so you can switch targets mid-combo by pointing the left analogue stick wherever you want. You still get the regular "combo locks to initial target all the way" effect by using lock-on (R3). Locked target gives you lock-on combos even when you're not locked-on. You feel a lot less in control, and target switching to do some crowd control feels janky as hell.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
holy fuck, this demo started off fine but the boss showed why the gameplay loop of staggering enemies for big damage is awful. the entire boss was the extremely boring

I hated the staggering system in XIII and I'm not a fan of it here. Doing small incremental chip damage until you fill up a meter to allow you to cause bigger damage, artificially making battles longer and seem more tactical is not something I like. I'm fine with switching characters to make it happen but a stagger system is something I don't think I can ever get behind. The lock on system and camera is WAY worse than XV's even with pulling the camera back.

On another note, I was thinking about this and wanted to sleep on it before I voiced an opinion but...I am not a big fan of some of the VO work here. Barrett just feels a little TOO extra. Biggs and Wedge feel really off and sound like they're phoning it in. Jesse is pretty good. And Cloud seems to be nailed.

And yeah, maybe I need a PS4 Pro, but a lot of the cutscenes seemed blurry to me and even gameplay segments. And I kind of wish they used Luminous lighting too, because the lighting here feels basic, point lights and doesn't seem to reflect off things naturally.

But I'm still buying the game cause I love VII and a sucker for FF in general. But I suspect I will like this more than XIII, but not more than XIV or XV.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade doesn't have blocking, parrrying, dodging, and button presses for regular attacks. As well as locking on. Xenoblade automated all of that so you can focus on strategy, something that this remake only lets you do in a really easy mode.

Btw it's bullshit that classic mode doesn't let you make it more difficult than Easy. I should be able to pick Classic and make it harder.

Xenoblade (as of two I should say), automates that so they can layer their own crazy combo system on top of it, and then layer another combo system on top of that. And then they tie healing and spells to the first combo system. And I actually like Xenoblade but the double combo system always felt super extra to me.

Here with FF7 at the very least you don't have to play two different meta games while actually playing the game to do real damage. It also feels much more hands on than it or FFXV, which is why I like it so much.

I have yet to do a run with classic but I also agree it should be available for all difficulties with scaling to match.

I can't wait to get everyone though since everyone will have their own play style to learn. If feels like the next step of a tales battle system honestly.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if anyone replied yet but if you hold down square you do AOE attacks so it's easier to hit more enemies. Punisher mode is more of an "All-out Attack" mode. You move a lot slower but you deal more damage so you want to use it when you're up an enemies butt and/or have them close to staggered.
Thanks. Yeah I figured it out. Theres basically never not a reason to be in this mode with the way it is now. IF enemies move away attacking pulls you towards them and rolling auto switches you back to operational. Seens a bit op at the moment.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single jaggy, so crisp, no dithering on hair like FF15, AO is top notch, no flickering shadows and all hi res shadow maps and textures, SSR is high on floors, ceilings and everything reflective

I don't know how they can improve the graphics overall on PS5, maybe toss up the High render character models in the game (those with peach fuzz), add RT, and lock to native 4K and 60 FPS and you have a a next-gen game.

I still have to play so this is Nice to hear. But I'll be playing on PRO on a 1080p screen, I wonder If the experience is the same.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That was utterly fantastic. One of those games where I really felt something special when playing it. Absolutely can't wait for the final game now.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
The art direction is utterly phenomenal. The whole time I was like this game is incredible. Only thing is I couldn't get Kaori from Your Lie in April out of my head whenever Jessie opened her mouth. That is one of my favorite anime and the English dub actor for her voices Jessie. She does great but it just reminds me of the anime.

what a perfect game

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Yeah I figured it out. Theres basically never not a reason to be in this mode with the way it is now. IF enemies move away attacking pulls you towards them and rolling auto switches you back to operational. Seens a bit op at the moment.
It's OP with regular enemies but you definitely dont want to be caught in it during a boss attack

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Edit: I tried it on PS4 Pro. I don't know about base PS4 version.

Could be my TV or PS4, but Cloud had a shit ton of dithering and game was incredibly burry.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the demo and can't wait for the release, however deep down inside I still wish they made the combat full turn based like the original :( oh well..

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
That was amazing. The combat is great. I don't understand the complaints. Did people think this would be Devil May Cry?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely delighted with that, played through it twice in a row, combat was really clicking the second time through.

So happy with it.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
No else is testing some interpolation on this game?

I'm doing 3/5 interpolation on a Sony 4k TV and looks really close to 60 fps with no artifacts.. don't use the full interpolation thing just 50%.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
No else is testing some interpolation on this game?

I'm doing 3/5 interpolation on a Sony 4k TV and looks really close to 60 fps with no artifact.. don't use the full interpolation thing just 50%.

I don't think I can do anything from my TV settings, but right now I'm messing around with forcing 1080P from the Playstation level menu on the pro. So far, it doesn't seem like it helped much.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I'll post screenshots later after work. From XV and VII remake to compare. Maybe it's just my TV and screenshots will look fine once I put them on my PC, but it's currently worse than any FF games I've played in terms of dithering.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm liking this more now that I'm getting the hang of the combat and turning it to Free for Combo Targeting. Moving around faster and linking attacks, it flows really nicely. I think once it opens up and you have a full party it will have some really great battles.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Still in the middle of the demo but I just wanted to say that the voice of Badger from Breaking Bad fits the look of Wedge perfectly for me.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'll post screenshots later after work. From XV and VII remake to compare. Maybe it's just my TV and screenshots will look fine once I put them on my PC, but it's currently worse than any FF games I've played in terms of dithering.
I posted above that if you're using the Pro, set supersampling in the menu and it will fix it. Dithering on my 1080p display went away.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I can't believe how great it is, sure it looked good enough on previews but playing it is unbelievable, not only it is gorgeous but the combat has actual depth and when it clicks on you it feels so rewarding even on this tutorial, basically everything that the garbage that is 15 tried to be but failed miserably.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Honestly I think if this FF7R was just Knack with a blonde wig and buster sword, people were gonna be like, "Oh Em Gee! Best game ever".

However, as cynical as I am about modern Final Fantasy and how much I expected to dislike this version of one of my most treasured PS1 games... I didn't hate this demo.

The soundtrack is as delightful as expected. Just the main menu music had the 23 year old nostalgia flooding back to me, like an old friend. The modern take is wonderful from start to finish.

The character designs and world are beautifully realised. Extremely well detailed.

I actually had fun. How much of it was down to aforementioned nostalgia, I'm not sure.

The voices were a big turn-off for me in the trailer and after the demo I think Cloud is perfectly cast (with Wedge and Jessie great too) however Biggs and Barrett grated on me massively. Biggs' just doesn't fit and Barrett... *sigh*. Its just too much.

The combat annoyed me, but wasnt necessarily bad. I dont know why they make you switch between "modes". What is that adding? I'm just stuck in an animation pounding triangle to switch to the one that isn't going to take me 10 minutes to beat the filler enemy guard dog. One reason I've been such an advocate of turn-based combat in Final Fantasy games is that they did that super well, whereas their real time stuff has always been mediocre. This is no exception. It doesn't help that whoever you're not controlling is a brain dead idiot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember Barrett casting lightning outside of my control.

Healing up the party is a chore, one by one potions with an animation for each one, OUTSIDE OF COMBAT. Great...

Talking about animations, more than once I pressed square instead of triangle for a chest. Those few seconds of waiting for Cloud to put the sword on his back feel like an eternity.

So yeah, it's not bad. I wouldn't listen to those who say it's terrible or super amazing. It's decent. I think the nostalgia alone will get me through it and enjoying it. I'm not sure it's a day one purchase for me, but I definitely see myself sitting down with the full game at some point.

Prediction score, based on the demo alone; 7.5-8/10.

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm impressed by the potential in combat, it's not full bloom strategic combat but close enough for the full game with materia management, unique crew talents, and boss scenarios to keep us entertained.

It can have hardcore parry counterattacks if done right which would seal the deal for me... Make parries more snappy please...

I think Barrett will be less aggressive, approachable, and chilled as his emotional parts get disclosed in the upcoming story, it will make sense with future punches. Same with Cloud, his arrogance should also drop a notch.

Complacency is the last thing an Avalanche leader needs to embody tbh, and he does it well.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep playing this like an Platinum game and keep pressing R2 to dash into enemies, but in combat mode that just activates tactical mode. Also have to resist the urge to jump.

Getting the hang of the combat but the Sentinel on normal difficulty nearly wrecked me, replaying on easy gave me room to get used to the mechanics.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Loved the demo. You can tell the combat system was developed by the same team that did KHII. Every hit felt really weighty compared to the floatiness of KH3

Oct 27, 2017
My God was that a blast. The game looks gorgeous to boot.

I just kinda wish the demo would create a savegame so I won't have to fight the boss again in the full game :p

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
Does someone have the remix that you can hear on the Air Buster fight? miles better, and closer to the original, than the scorpion one.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Was grinning from ear to ear. Game looks insane. Battle system was miles upon miles better than FFXV. Fuck, this is so good.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
shit i just got home and saw this

how long is the demo? up until escaping from the reactor im guessing?