• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
You need to anticipate for the dodge. It's not really a reactive action like Bayo or Kingdom Hearts I think. TBH I think it's mostly just for local AOE (like EMP blast). For regular melee seems like block is the way to go. Maybe block combined with Operator mode.

I don't think it needs i-frames, it's not that kind of action game.

In the boss fight when it's shooting a barrage of missiles the dodge feels pretty useless.
I like that you can parry in punisher mode when attacking at the same time as the enemy, reminds me of bloodborne.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Just looked it up apparently it was it the store listing page I definitely was to impatient to read. Didn't know what it looked like though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
In the boss fight when it's shooting a barrage of missiles the dodge feels pretty useless.
I like that you can parry in punisher mode when attacking at the same time as the enemy, reminds me of bloodborne.
I think the barrage of missiles is just unavoidable AOE

TBH I'm thinking of it in FFXIV terms so I see the missile barrage and think 'time to mitigate damage'. I think this is why Barret has 'steelskin', maybe you are supposed to use it when targetted by '99 missiles' or whatever the attack is called.

I like this though, it's not just an action game. There's decision making and skill selections to make just like a turn based game and you can stop the game whenever you want.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
This is probably my favourite shot I've taken so far, so much detail on Cloud's model and the Buster Sword.

finalfantasyviiremake0zk8i.png
Just seeing the material in the slots is enough for me.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it actually possible to avoid all attacks in this demo? I've tried everything and I can't Dodge the bullet fire but I feel like that's intended, right? I pretty much have guard up whenever I'm not doing anything and that mitigates some of the damage at least.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I have played it just a few minutes ago and I have to admit I am pretty impressed.

Apart from the visual aspect, that the most obvious quality of the game, I am very pleasantly surprised with the combat system. I like that you literally pause the game to choose the commands and that you have control over your entire team essentially. Very complete because of that, and I think despite of being an action oriented game, the strategic component is going to be very very present.
Looking forward to trying iwas so glad when they showed control of the whole team and how switching appeared to flow and the pause/slo-mo for commands was such a huge surprise.

Can't wait to get to try it for myself later and see it in hdr. Damn it work day lol.
Still crazy to me how insanely well they've recreated everything.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Is it actually possible to avoid all attacks in this demo? I've tried everything and I can't Dodge the bullet fire but I feel like that's intended, right? I pretty much have guard up whenever I'm not doing anything and that mitigates some of the damage at least.

Just like in classic FF games, you're gonna get hit no matter what. Plan your attacks, use your heals, etc.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So what's the consensus on the demo? Fun?

Will someone who never played the original enjoy this or will I miss too many details by having not played it before?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An hour and a half for work left, I really want to throwdown with you guys but I gotta experience that demo first hand first... Can't wait!

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
As someone who never played the original, I did enjoy this very much. I know about all the major plot twists and events of this story by now, but I have only been told about them in passing, and I do not know how we get there, and the story is all about the journey, not the destination, right?

Love the slow down during command input, if they hadn't done that I would loathe this battle system much like I loathe Kingdom Hearts', because I can't press 25 buttons to get to the command I want while also paying attention to the battle, I just can't.

First impressions story/ character wise: Jessie clearly has the hots for Cloud, but who can blame her. That little off hand convo at the beginning was amazing lol. Barret needs to calm down, this is a stealth mission and the people with him ought to know why they're doing what they're doing already anyways, so... Wth? Love Cloud sassing him tho. Don't love Cloud being mean to Wedge (I think that was his name). :(

Other than that I am still bummed this is just the Midgar portion of the game. I don't mind the story being extended and all, but we all know Square and if they say they will do the other parts faster than this they mean 4 years each instead of 5. And I really lose touch with a story when the gaps get too long. But alas, nothing we can do about it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the consensus on the demo? Fun?

Will someone who never played the original enjoy this or will I miss too many details by having not played it before?
There's somethings that may go over your head and some foreboding to future events that you won't be aware of at all.
But it's just a demo and I'm sure SE is aware this will be many people's first exposure to FF7 so I wouldn't be too bothered by it.

And yes. It's crazy fun.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having problems logging into psn. Getting error NP-40831-6 on my PS4 and can't do anything on the app as the first button I push pops up error C-82E100C8.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
TBH I'm thinking of it in FFXIV terms so I see the missile barrage and think 'time to mitigate damage'. I think this is why Barret has 'steelskin', maybe you are supposed to use it when targetted by '99 missiles' or whatever the attack is called.
Yeah the more I see of it being closer to FFXIV and other cooldown based game in premise the more happy I am about the possible payoffs later in the system with materia and stuff.

The big thing that has my attention is if we get some of the cooler materia combos in crisis core that will help vary up gameplay more. The mashing square I could do without but unfortunately the "classic" mode is apparently tied to difficulty (huge swing and a miss for me personally) so that means I can't just manage my team I have to mash and move.

I'm just curious as to why they'd try to make an action combat game where you have to switch to move characters out of AOE but then try to program an auto play version of the game at the same time. Like why the characters wouldn't prioritize mitigation over damage when it's just chip damage/auto attack equivalents in the first place is odd, especially with (so far) no appearance of like a gambit system or something to control them without spending time in the menus. This also doesn't take into account gating off damage with things like Barret's range making you have to play with a character you may not like at all.

Games like FFXIV and Xenoblade are geared around taking damage in specific places and managing your resources to mitigate and or recover from said damage, but FF7's relience on ATB even if they can speed it up later means there is a possibility that you can be screwed without another option if you simply use a skill too soon before a bad phase of the fight. Not sure how that'll play out but it's definitely got me curious.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know of a good tutorial on the combat? Seems I'm missing a few things/hearing conflicting things about it and want to make sure I'm giving it a fair shake.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I just don't get the point of a dodge button in this. I think just taking it out entirely will show people that they shouldn't be trying to avoid ALL damage like in other games with a dodge button.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a surprisingly good time with this demo. I was kinda iffy on picking this up because I didn't love FF7 and there are just so many good games coming out soon. The battle system pushed me over the edge, though: the presentation and fluidity of fights is great, and the action is fast 98% of the time, and slow and tactical 2% of the time, which is a reasonable mix I feel for modern FF games. The funny thing is, despite not loving FF7 it's connected to a lot of my childhood in various ways (I remember renting a PS1 back in the day to play it!), and I was sort of having weird emotions while I played the demo. Just a lot coming back to me and I didn't expect it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get the point of a dodge button in this. I think just taking it out entirely will show people that they shouldn't be trying to avoid ALL damage like in other games with a dodge button.
Dodge is for getting out of the way of the telegraphed AOE attacks. You're not going to be dodging individual small scale attacks like in Dark Souls.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Demo wasn't bad:

• Graphics are good. Better than I expected even.
  • It's been...a really long time since I've played a faster-paced game at 30FPS, but the game doesn't look or feel as responsive as I'd like.
  • Camera is too slow even at max speed. Maybe it's an optimization thing.
  • It's definitely padded out a little from the original Bombing set piece, but aside from the lame part with the lasers it felt "logical".
  • Wasn't that difficult to me, it reminded me a lot of FFXIII actually where it constantly felt like I was going to die but never actually did, lol. Never had to use a Phoenix Down.
  • Music is ok, think I just like the compositions themselves more than I actually like these arrangements though.
  • I wish there was a "Classic Normal" instead of it being bound to Easy mode (or rather, instead of it kinda being positioned as an even easier mode than Easy). Pressing/holding the attack button to build ATB just isn't really that engaging or fun to me and it would be nice to automate it with the option to override it on occasion, but switching between characters, choosing commands, the triangle commands, timing various commands, etc. is a lot of fun. Binding it to Easy mode cuts down on a lot of strategy and challenge though.

I'm not really ultra-hyped for the game, but I thought it was an ok demo.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Weird. It looked so crisp on my C9 with amazing HDR

It definitely didn't look bad by any stretch, but it was just really subtle. I have the same set you do, so it may just be something with how I have the TV configured. The HDR is definitely outstanding!

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved it.

Probably the best looking game of the generation so far imo and it doesn't drop a frame on the Pro that I noticed.

Great job Square!

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it well enough

Tieing magic to the ATB feels a bit weird when mp is also a resource, why not just keep them both seperate. I guess its to stop constant magic spamming maybe?
Gameplay kind of reminds me of KH3/recent square in general. It alternates somewhere between awesome and frustrating. The dodging/block against the scorpion just felt random to me. Could have been me being crap but i felt i coudn't avoid damage some times.

The best part is the presentation and characters for sure. Its great to have Cloud instead of shit moppy KH/Advent Children Cloud.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished my playthrough. Had a blast with it! Though the Scorpion boss was pretty tough. It pretty much forces you to git gud with dodging, blocking, and swapping between characters.

I found the banter to be great, but I suppose that's up to personal preference.

I'll probably give it a few more goes over the next month, just for practice.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow.

Like, I'm legitimately impressed. It is just so much fun to play, the battle system is really doing it for me, especially once I figured that actions were based on ATB, giving it a real twist on the action side of things.

Graphically? It's outstanding, just a beautiful game that really brings to life characters and locations you know with a new twist.

I still maintain the intro, when the music kicks in as the logo appears, will never, ever get old for me, in any variation of the game.

This is going to be a treat. I can tell.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've been able to see how it plays for myself, I can say for certain that I'm satisfied enough to be sold on the final game (everything else already had my attention, the question was whether the combat would be any fun for me).

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I had fun. Having shortcuts makes me think of KH, but when you start to get to grips with everything this feels like a new and different thing. Im interested in how the gameplay will expand as the game progresses.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Yes, and you already can in the demo. Just set your system language to Japanese and the voices will be in Japanese with English text. You won't need to do that in the full game, fortunately.
Ok awesome. I did just try to set it through the PS4 and it worked but the side comments weren't translated. Just the scripted scenes.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
For the record everyone, there are scenes not in the demo that will be present in the full game.

There's a flashback scene with
Young Tifa when Jessie asks
about her.