• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Had to release on a Monday... I'll at least be able to get 20 minutes in during my lunch break though.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but most of the time I can't really see what I'm supposed to even get away from. I simply can't read enemy moves all too well, either because there is too much going on or I don't even see what my enemy's about to do (especially with the boss being as big). Getting too close can mean a complete lack of awareness of what's going on.

It's kinda frustrating tbh.

E: blocking has turned out to be way more effective for nearly anything enemies throw at me.
If you haven't I definitely recommend going in to the settings and pulling back the camera it helps.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Put together a comparison of the demo vs the original game using key scenes and battle sequences to see how the two are similar and differ.

Really looking forward to the full release next month. The demo was incredible.

Awesome video! The Voice acting really does add a little more emotional depth that we didnt get years ago

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
+
Music
Graphics
-
Combat
Voice acting+sound design

Combat might be better if you can control 4-5 characters at the same time + unlock more stances, combo moves, character synergies.
The demo combat felt dumb.

The boss fight was a slog, wasn't close to dying even once but took a long time to take it down.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Just not sure where to attack the Boss and how to switch to the parts on him...locked seems bad and tons of attacks you cant seem to avoid,going to try a few more times on normal because a lot of it is my fault fumbling with the controls lol...othwerise I will try Classic mode and hopefully there is a normal difficulty Classic mode in the release...

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this felt way more responsive and fast paced than XV. But also forced me to think tactically a lot more than XV ever did. Shock troopers and scorpion fucked me up when being lazy.

I just don't care for the numbers popping up so much constantly. Gets in the way.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
OK but the change is still an important one. Shifting from "Avalanche have to own this" to "this was all a corporate stitch up" is a major reframe of the whole beginning act. You potentially don't get the scene of Jessie grief stricken because they can just focus on how evil Shinra is. Doesn't matter that they put a bomb above thousands of people's homes.

It kind of doesn't matter in the larger game, as the moral grey areas fall away to anime bombast in the second and third disc. However, but since this entire game is just Midgar I feel fairly deflated that they've chosen to simplify the narrative like this.

I may be reading too much into it but I suppose we will see.
I mean keep in mind they changed the entire tone of the Bombing Mission from a depressing covert op to an anime mission from FFXIII's dumb ass mercs that were cringe with Snow. Jessie is there just to be horny and Wedge and Biggs have nearly no presence. They're doing this intentionally.

That was pretty cool!

Lol I hate this scene because this means that there are at least THREE times that a bridge collapses with Cloud on it to repeat the same beat over and over. First Reactor, Air Buster fight when he falls inthe church, and whatever scene is in the theme trailer where Hojo is watching. It's so stupidly repetitive and un-needed. And makes the airbuster fight kinda hilarious unless they completely reframe it because he was holding on before, but if he can superman leap it makes his fall doubly dumb.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Didn't notice this thread. Just finished the demo and honestly I think this is awful. Combat was quite boring and clunky. The party AI is horrendous to the point you need to be switching every two seconds to reposition people, which might be the point I guess but I don't really like it. The story and character changes are awful too. The level design, what level design? My biggest problem with it though, is the complete lack of atmosphere. This doesn't feel like Final Fantasy VII.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this combat shits on XV and would love if this system stayed in future FF with different spins on it in like FF does.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Does the demo include the opening video and what not? I'm going to skip it if it does.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I honestly don't understand how you're supposed to defend against the AOEs. Are you supposed to block and forget about avoiding damage? I literally ate all of those shits.
Yeah, when I could block I did (I kept trying to doge because it was the logical thing to do). As someone said above, I guess there's some attacks you need to just block to mitigate and some you dodge?

That just makes it needlessly complicated.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
We are going from FFVII plays much better than ffxv to it's the same one dimensional combat+ bad camera, which one should I believe more?
It's not really like XV and is definitely much better. The camera's extreme zoom and the action being obscured by the particle effects (and the lock feeling clunky at times) is what contributes to the camera feeling unwieldy at times.

It is similar in the single button spam. VIIR at least breaks up the mashing with mode switching and ATB commands, but the square tapping is very annoying imo.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I thought the combat was fine until I hit the boss. What a mess of camera nonsense and offscreen attacks. They seemed to mix up the 'hold a button to attack' combat I hated in FF15 and make it enjoyable, but since you can't see anything and Cloud takes up 80% of the screen I'm not sure it matters.

Also the game does look nice, but is weirdly distracting in some ways too. The depth of field on cutscenes looks weird and wrong, and they use it on characters faces directly in the camera. It looks like some weird blur filter they use on Cops or something rather than a proper bokeh. Also character skin textures just look weird. I guess Mako does weird things to skin, a knock on Shinra pollution no doubt.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So it sounds like if you play this strategically & patiently and not just button-mash XV-style the combat is pretty fun?

Battles were never the draw to FF games for me, but I'll always appreciate the strategy of the turn-based games. If I can play this even slightly like those I'll be thrilled.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Camera is too close....but could be me used to play FF14 with the camera pulled all the way back (almost like diablo games) lol

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
holy fuck, this demo started off fine but the boss showed why the gameplay loop of staggering enemies for big damage is awful. the entire boss was the extremely boring

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
The HDR seems great to me on my 900E,nothing like the bad area's in MHW for example and I didnt even check if they have sliders or anything for the nits and things like that,just saw my TV flicker when I started the demo to HDR ...going to check later

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the combat my second time through more than the first. I feel like the game lets you set your own pace. Sure you can get by with just spamming attack then doing abilities but it's more satisfying and effective when you are constantly mixing it up with punisher/operator mode and changing in and out characters. Do we know if the full game will come with a hard mode? Cause I want a hard mode.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I'm kinda... disappointed.

I mean it's great to look at and dynamic music is awesome but I feel like the actual combat is not at the level I'd like it to be.

- The camera can get annoying (set it as far as possible btw)
- Visual cues aren't so obvious, like when I'm blocking on Barret I just have to see if I just guarded with damage numbers. Can't feel how fast I can start blocking after attacking etc... I think there should be more clear indicator for this.
- I would very much like 60 fps in a title like this. I guess this one can be "fixed" by not buying at launch
- Too much debris. As much as I like dynamic environments, I feel like all those flying boxes and stuff makes things more messy here on top of everything else. This of course affects only certain parts
- The boss was way more spongey than I would've liked. Felt like an endurance race in all the wrong ways
- Personal preference: I always hated the stagger mechanic of XIII where you deal nonexistent damage until you stagger and then you just suddenly destroy the monster. Of course doesn't apply to all monsters but anyway.

There are still things to be seen after full release but some of these problems seems to be so deep in the core that I can't see it to be any sort of magical fix.

Probably will still end up enjoying the game for what it is, but I can't say I'm not a bit let down after that demo experience.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I'm more relaxed on my second play through, the numbers are not bothering me as much. Also enjoying the scenery more ☺️

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Did the demo change since last E3 or something? People were raving about the combat and Scorpion battle last year, but between the two demo threads I'm seeing a good deal of negativity. Too many options (between Classic, Easy, and Normal)? Not knowing about changing the camera? Are people just 'playing it wrong' without a SE rep over their shoulders guiding them? Just typical forum negativity? :p

Anyone around here have experience with both the show floor demos and what was just released?

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
The English cast is good times (love Barrett's over-the-topness). I legit laughed at Cloud's "...Get Help" delivery.

Other points:
- Combat is fun
- Visuals are utterly insane
- Excellent music

I've never had the nostalgia for FFVII like a lot of folks have (grew up in the 8/16-bit eras and my favs are FFIV, VI, and XII), but I'm seriously excited for this now.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Did the demo change since last E3 or something? People were raving about the combat and Scorpion battle last year, but between the two demo threads I'm seeing a ton of negativity. Too many options (between Classic, Easy, and Normal)? Not knowing about changing the camera? Are people just 'playing it wrong' without a SE rep over their shoulders guiding them? Just typical forum negativity? :p

Anyone around here have experience with both the show floor demos and what was just released?
Most of the impressions outside of Era have been similarly positive.

I don't want to sound too apologetic for any issues the game may have, but Era tends to be a relatively negative place and that should be kept in mind. Doesn't mean you should discount what's being said, though! Critical, even negative, voices are important.