• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I quite like quests that make you go back somewhere and it then unlocks a bunch more quests in that old area before you head back.

But yeah in general quests are the one big blemish on FFXIV, throughout all the expansions. This is what I'd change, personally:

• Have every quest appear on the map after you've accepted it, not just the five most recent/highlighted. It's infuriating to finish a quest in an area, go hand it in, then find out there was another you could have done right next to it. Sure you can check the journal, but on PS4 that's an effort.
  • Have more free-form quests that don't have markers. There are a few of them but there needs to be more. Or at least make it an option, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
  • Adopt the Trust mechanics from FFXI that let you explore with an unlocked party member. Would have been perfect for how Shadowbringers was built out, and it helps the game feel more like an adventure solo.
  • Piecemeal the quest unlocks when you reach a new area. On more than one occasion in Shadowbringers I had to shut the game down because 20+ quest prompts all at once was overwhelming.
  • Have the world feel more alive after you complete quests. It kinda sucks when you meet extremely important characters to the lore, finish their questline, and never see them again. Have 'em spawn in that player's world, get new dialogue over time, that sorta thing. Having more player-specific instanced town development akin to Doma would be cool too. They've been building those ships near Limsa for years.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(and other automatic answers "it's a mmo")
No. First, fighting the windmill but whatever : MMO means massively multiplayer online, not "heap of 2mins trash quests". There are ton of things to invent and discover with online games, using a MMO to make these quests is an abyssal waste. Second, MMO or not, bad quests are bad quests. After tutorial (~10 levels, not 80), quests should always bring a small gimmick. Making hundreds of empty quests with just 2 npc or 1 very weak monster is, again, a waste.
Thats inherently the design of MMO's though. EVERYTHING is a slog. They want to keep people grinding along so they pay their monthly sub again and again. I say this as someone with 5000+ hours in FFXIV.

There is already an arc for MMO's where you'll see an influx of new people around the time of content drops and then it flatlines out until the next major content drop. Elongated grinds are a way to keep players busy for months until the next new content can be made. I'm not saying its great design or anything but when your game is a 24/7 live service you have to find ways to keep players on the hook. Its just a matter of if that is a big enough turn-off to you or not.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I've been playing 14 pretty consistently since 2013, so I'm used to it. But yeah, Realm Reborn is really bad about it but it gets better with each expansion. It's an mmorpg so par for the course I guess.

Sidenote; I remember a quest in Stormblood to collect dung. The freaking Warrior of light is sent to collect/fetch literal shit. I've saved the realm from ultima weapon, bahamut, ended the dragonsong war etc. The audacity of that quest.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Same, I'm at like 2.5 and I'm finding it hard to keep going. I want to get to the expansions because I know they're good, but it's just such a slog getting there because of this kind of design
I'm still stuck in patch 2.3. It hurts.
the game is in my top 5 of this generation and #5 in my List of Best Final Fantasy games, but I have to agree. I mentally prepared myself, sat down, made a youtube playlist and just powered through. Took me about 4-5 hours to get to Heavensward. The MSQ patch can't come soon enough because every expansion is godtier, although Shadowbringers is the best one by far

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
When going from Ul'dah to Kugane takes 15 seconds, and going from Kugane back to Ul'dah takes 15 seconds, I don't see the problem. It's a hell of a lot better than FFXI, with its 10-15 minute airship to get between the major cities :) It's not like they are doing it to pad the playtime, not when fast-travel is that fast, it's done for story reasons.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing a lot of this and wondering when the good part comes up (supposedly soon, I just started the lv. 40 main quests), and why people play this game.
Your still in 2.0 content but not counting Side Quests there about 100 Main Quests left after you beat the base 2.0 game before you start the 3.0 content Heavenward. Most people agree that the ball really starts rolling in the 2.3 content and the ball never stops rolling downhill since than. Some people will argue that ball does slow down between 4.0 and 4.2 but it's still and enjoyable ride all the way to 5.2 so far.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing 14 pretty consistently since 2013, so I'm used to it. But yeah, Realm Reborn is really bad about it but it gets better with each expansion. It's an mmorpg so par for the course I guess.

Sidenote; I remember a quest in Stormblood to collect dung. The freaking Warrior of light is sent to collect/fetch literal shit. I've saved the realm from ultima weapon, bahamut, ended the dragonsong war etc. The audacity of that quest.
LOL that reminds of a quest right before the endgame of ARR where you had to gather meat for some soldiers. The fate of Eorzia hanging in the balance and they really have you out here cooking meals for soldiers lmao. To be honest though, it's stupid shit like that makes me love the game. It's a MMO-ass MMO but I love it all the same.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like quests that make you go back somewhere and it then unlocks a bunch more quests in that old area before you head back.

But yeah in general quests are the one big blemish on FFXIV, throughout all the expansions. This is what I'd change, personally:

• Have every quest appear on the map after you've accepted it, not just the five most recent/highlighted. It's infuriating to finish a quest in an area, go hand it in, then find out there was another you could have done right next to it. Sure you can check the journal, but on PS4 that's an effort.
  • Have more free-form quests that don't have markers. There are a few of them but there needs to be more. Or at least make it an option, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
  • Adopt the Trust mechanics from FFXI that let you explore with an unlocked party member. Would have been perfect for how Shadowbringers was built out, and it helps the game feel more like an adventure solo.
  • Piecemeal the quest unlocks when you reach a new area. On more than one occasion in Shadowbringers I had to shut the game down because 20+ quest prompts all at once was overwhelming.
  • Have the world feel more alive after you complete quests. It kinda sucks when you meet extremely important characters to the lore, finish their questline, and never see them again. Have 'em spawn in that player's world, get new dialogue over time, that sorta thing. Having more player-specific instanced town development akin to Doma would be cool too. They've been building those ships near Limsa for years.

1. Yeah. I do hate that and wish they would change it. Even if it can only show you the 5 on the right side, at least all on the map.
2. Would be cool, though less that are simply more complicated gathering quests.
3. I can't ever see them adding trusts outside of dungeons unless the game was like dead. I can't imagine what would happen if a bunch of players all had trusts and then went into a hunting train.
4. They do need to get better at it but I think ShB is in this weird spot where you can easily do a roulette or two and ignore most of the story-light side quests. I only ever finished all of the side quests after I began leveling alts.
5. Would be cool. I'm still curious what they're going to do with Ishgard for players just coming to Heavensward. Like is it restored or will they see it in tatters?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
No, it doesn't. It is far, far worse in this game than in any MMO I have ever played, and I have played a lot of them.
Ever played Ragnarok Online? You would talk to an npc who tells you to get some items, and gives you zero direction how to find or obtain them, or how to advance to the next step.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently going through the 100 quests between Realm Reborn and Heavenward. Started the first quest yesterday morning and spent most of the day going thru the missions. Some time around 10pm I went to see how for I was and was thinking probably around 60, but was bracing 50 so I wouldn't be discouraged.

Had just finished quest 33.

Now Im just gonna go through it leisurely. I'm around 50 now and was going through the Crystal Tower raids and all the trial and Dungeons to kill monotony.

I would say that if I wasn't told how much better the game got in the later expansions, I'd probably have given up by now, even if I am enjoying it.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
They're the reason I've stopped playing in the mean time. I'm not an MMO guy by any means, but I REALLY was enjoying FFXIV. The patches between ARR and Heavensward were such a goddamn drag, though. After beating Heavensward, I wasn't ready to dive back into hours of filler busy work to get to the next big expansion. Which is a damn shame. I wanna experience the story on my own, but I might just bite the bullet, buy a skip to Shadowbringers and watch some "movies" on Youtube to catch up.

The patches between Heavensward and Stormblood are nothing like the ones after ARR. They're not as long, and pretty much just feel like a continuation of Heavensward for at least the first half (with the second half being more focused on some very important setup for the continuation of the story). Quality wise, I actually liked some of them more than base-game Heavensward.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please, y'all have cheap as hell Aetheryte teleportation networks and Flying Chocobos. Get out there and enjoy it, do a FATE or two on your way. :)

Edit: this is coming from someone who hit 70 walking into Ishgard the first time. ;) Switch jobs!

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Waking Sands shit is a pain in the ass, but you do stop going there at a certain point. Also, I was the same and dropped the game like many did in the 2.1 to 2.55 slog of like 100 quests. Picked it up again last September after hearing how amazing Shadowbringers is, and powered through those fucking quests in like a day. Wasn't bad, actually, just tedious.

Working now on my third class currently, want to get a tank to 80. Loving the story and thankfully the patch quests 3.1 onwards are good with their pacing.

Mar 19, 2019
That's just MMORPG's, OP. People criticize MMORPGs for their repetitive quest types, but there's only so much you can do. You go and talk to someone and go back. You go and fetch an item and go back. You go kill things and come back. Sometimes they'll have you do certain things in certain ways, at certain times or whatever, but it all boils down to that. You'll always just do some inane clicking task and go back to the quest-giver for your reward.

What really makes me enjoy doing quests in MMO's more is really reading the dialogue and quest entry so it feels like I'm more doing this digital person a digital favor. Sometimes they have really interesting little stories, but even at their worst it makes doing the task at least feel different than doing the same click-jobs.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Your still in 2.0 content but not counting Side Quests there about 100 Main Quests left after you beat the base 2.0 game before you start the 3.0 content Heavenward. Most people agree that the ball really starts rolling in the 2.3 content and the ball never stops rolling downhill since than. Some people will argue that ball does slow down between 4.0 and 4.2 but it's still and enjoyable ride all the way to 5.2 so far.
I'm invested enough to see the story to the end and see where it goes from there. Besides, I've come too far in the black mage quest line to settle for anything less than a full black mage ensemble.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. It has the worst quests of all the big MMOs of the last (two) decade. It was tough to get through. You run over the whole map, stand there and channel for 5 seconds, one enemy pops out, you run back to the base to finish that quest and the follow up sends you to the same location and have you channel some other shit 10 feet away from where you were before. It gets slightly better in the later addons, but still... FFXIV quest design is crap. And the worst was that there wasn't this great and impactful story behind it that everyone talks about.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
The ones in A Realm Reborn have always been the worst...
Otherwise I've enjoyed spending my time reading many of the stories and dialogue in these quests in the expansions!
Final Fantasy XIV has some great writing!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Yep. It has the worst quests of all the big MMOs of the last (two) decade. It was tough to get through. You run over the whole map, stand there and channel for 5 seconds, one enemy pops out, you run back to the base to finish that quest and the follow up sends you to the same location and have you channel some other shit 10 feet away from where you were before. It gets slightly better in the later addons, but still... FFXIV quest design is crap. And the worst was that there wasn't this great and impactful story behind it that everyone talks about.
You're meant to pick up all the quests at once and get them all done en route for those simple go-here-do-this quests. It's best to leave those alone until you have all the aetherytes attuned for fast travel, or have unlocked flying in the expansions. They are more for leveling alternate jobs than your primary one. And that last bit...are you talking about the main story? ARR gets pretty hype after level 34 and the 2.0 to 2.55 quests might be tedious, but the payoff is great. Everything after that is also awesome.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
No, it doesn't. It is far, far worse in this game than in any MMO I have ever played, and I have played a lot of them.
Yeah all of these "all MMOs are like this" replies are laughably ignorant and badly reductionary.
People are also saying that it gets better after a certain point or expansion which, while somewhat true, is misleading.

I just exited out of FF14 after doing the 5.3 MSQ and the game is still rife with "go here, talk to person, go to another place and talk to another person, go back and end quest" type fair or do all of that then click on one to kill one enemy. Whoo, so exciting.

It cheapens the individual quests and ruins the flow of gameplay. So much start and stop and back and forth.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
They also need to kill the horizon run

Like that is hyper BS every time they want you to go back to the waking sands.
I got really good at jumping and landing on every railing, wall, rock, and pillar on the way, doing 360s in the air, etc. For no reason whatsoever but to distract me from how BS this was. LOL

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea when they are going to cut down the base game? I want to replay this as I like the game it self, but I got to level 30ish on the PS4 and I really don't want to do that crap again on the PC version.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
It is honestly astonishing how they went from writing a series of quests with so many text boxes with no voice acting to get cheese to what is in the MSQ these days with tons of voice work. Though to be fair, it still happens to a much lesser degree, but it exists.
Part of the reason for this was the massive investment that came with rebuilding a broken game which was already a huge money sink for them. They had to cut corners some way.

I recommend watching the NoClip docu series for this game on youtube. One of the best videogame documentaries I've seen.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Part of the reason for this was the massive investment that came with rebuilding a broken game which was already a huge money sink for them. They had to cut corners some way.

I recommend watching the NoClip docu series for this game on youtube. One of the best videogame documentaries I've seen.

I'll look it up later

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't sound right. It should still be under the same Square Enix ID.

I have the game on PC under my usual square enix ID, but my PSN ID isn't the same as that one and the PS4 version of FF14 username is locked to your PSN ID and cannot be changed.

Doesn't really matter anyway as that's how it is, and I was just wondering because Squeenix said they want to redo ARR, and I was wondering if that's any time soon.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I have the game on PC under my usual square enix ID, but my PSN ID isn't the same as that one and the PS4 version of FF14 username is locked to your PSN ID and cannot be changed.

Doesn't really matter anyway as that's how it is, and I was just wondering because Squeenix said they want to redo ARR, and I was wondering if that's any time soon.
The next patch, 5.3, will be trimming a lot of the fat from both A Realm Reborn and its postgame leading up to Heavensward. That patch is likely coming in May, no later than July.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Fun fact, 5.2 added flying zones and increased collision allowing you to see further into the distance to the ARR zones. This means faster movement for those who've unlocked flying

Also, you can now use The Emperor's New Shield to hide your paladin's shield. It's available from the Gold Saucer for 100,000 MGP.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017

This is actually more of a common issue than you think so go talk to customer support they can decouple whatever version or account of the game attached to your current PSN ID and that allows you to reattach that PSN ID to your current Square Enix Account.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
It's why i dropped the game during HW . I was told the quests get better but it's all the same thing. Go here kill 3 things go back now go back to this person now come back to me now go back to them.

I was pushing myself through ARR to get to when it gets "good" but I was lied to .

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's why i dropped the game during HW . I was told the quests get better but it's all the same thing. Go here kill 3 things go back now go back to this person now come back to me now go back to them.

I was pushing myself through ARR to get to when it gets "good" but I was lied to .
I mean, it's the story and characters that are the main content, which are delivered through text boxes, cutscenes, and talking to npcs. It has the go-here-do-this format, but that's just the framework through which the narrative is told. If you're skipping all the dialogue, then sure, you're going to be grated on by it more because all you're experiencing is clicking through text boxes and running back and forth with none of the context.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel people need to understand that this is an (old) MMO first and foremost. Unlike action based recent MMOs, the combat system is designed around having a party and the different synergy between classes and boss mechanics. That means... Is not a fun game to do solo content with.

That means the game is still strictly designed around group content, thus fighting mobs solo is... Not really fun. That's why the content to advance the story basically revolves around talking people and some basic combat. And talking people means a lot of exposition, world building with lots of text bubbles and running around. If you can inmerse yourself in the world, is great, if not then yeah, you won't have much fun until you reach endgame.

So the game is not a SP game, sadly, it is what it is and certainly is not going to change now. Is a shame because the game (ARR) was released in the time the genre was adopting full action combat systems and the game combat kind of weirdly fell in the middle. (I still love it, BTW, just saying)

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
The content between ARR and HW basically killed my interest in the game, it took way too long for that story to have any sort of weight and by the time I finally got to Ishgard, I didn't care anymore.

I haven't played in over a week and my sub renews in about 10 days, probably gonna cancel and walk away for a while. Maybe come back during summer without that horrible taste of ARR post-game in my mouth.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to get into FFXIV last year because of Shadowbringers, but holy fuck I couldn't get past the early game. If they had just implemented a "auto run to npc" function like in GW2 it would have helped immensely in getting rid of the tedium.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

Yes, we tricked you. All a part of our master plan, it is all a lie this stuff about FFXIV being good gahahahaha

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
OP What you're describing is literally any game ever made and this and things like "Witcher quests are all the same where you just go to NPC, use witcher senses, repeat" are things that don't really factor into constructive critique about the game.

That being said there will be padding. Not only are teleport costs a way to try to get gil out of the player's hands (which is kinda moot with FC actions and the like) they constantly try to keep people going back to old areas for multiple reasons.

The writing may not always be 10/10 but the writing and story content is why a lot of people like myself are into the game, if you're not here for speech bubbles I don't know why you'd really care about FFXIV's questing to begin with.

Guild Wars 2 got rid of fetch quests, I love it, whenever i take a break from GW2 and try other MMO's i am instantly turned off, i am spoiled lol..
Does GW2 even have a quest system? The Heart system was a good idea at first until you realize the entire story structure was garbage due to the open ended-ness of it and most of the GW2 Heart system was repetitive actions to fill a heart meter like "Put rabbits in cages" or "kill X amount of Y." When I left during Heart of Thorns it was basically the same zerg rushes for events that was the only thing anyone did.

I'm not saying FFXIV couldn't do with more of that (basically the FATEs system is their kind of gimmick similar to the heart events), but I remember the "story" outside of personal story being complete shit in the original and first expansion because there was no structure and ultimately it was an entire game of busy work. I prefer the narrative driven structure of FFXIV for sure personally, but to each their own.

There is already an arc for MMO's where you'll see an influx of new people around the time of content drops and then it flatlines out until the next major content drop. Elongated grinds are a way to keep players busy for months until the next new content can be made. I'm not saying its great design or anything but when your game is a 24/7 live service you have to find ways to keep players on the hook. Its just a matter of if that is a big enough turn-off to you or not.
I'd say FFXIV is one of the better designed games for this treadmill mechanic than most other online games. Each time a new update comes out a previous grinding method becomes expedited so as to not make it inaccessible for new or returning players. The tomestone currency is an excellent example of this.

FFXIV has to keep people engaging with the content, that's why you get more exp for alt jobs, get exp for helping with lower level stuff, you get incentives for running old content, and they go back and add new items to old content to make sure no one ever gets truly "stuck."

The "elongated" parts aren't even that bad, we have a guildie who started like 2-3 months ago and is already in Stormblood towards the end of it. I don't really think it's as bad as people make it out to sound but some people in this thread are literally asking for an "auto walk to NPC" button so I can't be surprised by this.

Every RPG has the exact same quest structure. You're either invested or you're not. Monster Hunter is just "go here kill monster and go back and now go back and kill another monster" but people like it. To each their own.

The quests appearing on the map I agree with. Although I make a habit of checking journal anyways it could be a good QoL feature.

People don't like free form quests. People usually just look up the answers online to things like the marker-less quests and such and there's a reason more games don't adopt that.

FFXI's systems are perfect for a game that's 3 gens old and lower in player count than your average big name MMO. It isn't needed in FFXIV and they've had to tweak and balance trusts so that they're not more effective than other players or they'll effectively kill the "Multiplayer" part of their Multiplayer Online RPG. Starting with HW there are so many quests and scenes with your party members that I think you still get the effect of traveling them. I can't relate to this issue as the game is very solo friendly in almost all content but crafting/gathering and EX/endgame content. Having NPC characters like SWTOR would be neat, but it would be such a superfluous and un-needed system in a game that already lets you do everything easy outside of boss fights.

I'm sorry that you get overloaded but the sidequests being that numerous resulting in you shutting down the game seems like a personal problem.

The world is actually pretty alive and old NPCs constantly get new dialogue so I'd need more citation for a proper response to that. Things like the Triad Questline and other characters in side quests and stuff even get dialogue updated for events happening in the world that they're not involved in, and I can't think of one major character that I can't still talk to. They're also doing the Firmament for Ishgard just like they did with Doma and just like they did with Idylshire. So I'm not quite sure why this is "lacking" to anyone.

(and other automatic answers "it's a mmo")
No. First, fighting the windmill but whatever : MMO means massively multiplayer online, not "heap of 2mins trash quests". There are ton of things to invent and discover with online games, using a MMO to make these quests is an abyssal waste. Second, MMO or not, bad quests are bad quests. After tutorial (~10 levels, not 80), quests should always bring a small gimmick. Making hundreds of empty quests with just 2 npc or 1 very weak monster is, again, a waste.
What you're asking for isn't scale-able in any sense, and the structure that FFXIV has implemented in its quest system is why they can focus on content like the trials/bosses/dungeons/etc and put mechanics and interesting things in those, and still people complain and/or can't figure those out. The "MMO" part of the game is the dungeons/trials/raids which are all masterfully done and great to play, and they continue to build on their pre-established mechanics.

You could argue in turn that the whole game should be less quests and just more of that, but it's not scaleable/possible to keep that level of content at a persistent enough basis to keep players. Again, like I've said before, any game can be boiled down to 2 min trash quests. Destiny, WoW, Assassins Creed, BOTW, Witcher 3, etc all have quests that could be considered "trash" but you're not usually playing it for the quest design, you're playing because of story, gameplay or something else.

FFXIV has to ride the line between being singleplayer/casual friendly and providing meaningful and challenging content, and while the quest design may not be ideal (I've got plenty of complaints) it's a decent combination of the available means of questing.

You can call it a waste if you want, but it's definitely not. The focus on the game is on its narrative, and even with some of the weaker parts it's held true to that. If you want something different there are other games out there, but the quests are literally just to segment the story and make it digestable for players. Keeping something as complex as an MMO persistent and building on itself is already a huge feat, let alone working with 6+ year old spaghetti code. Adding a "new gimmick" every single quest would be a nightmare to design, and I don't know why anyone would want that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to get into FFXIV last year because of Shadowbringers, but holy fuck I couldn't get past the early game. If they had just implemented a "auto run to npc" function like in GW2 it would have helped immensely in getting rid of the tedium.

I've played over 2k hours of GW2... I don't recall there ever being an auto run to npc function.