• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The rigid opt-out requirement is such a weird dealbreaker for a somewhat "foreward-thinking" company like MS. Seems like a requirement Nintendo would have had lol (I know they're pretty liberal on it now)
It is a dumb requirements from Xboy indeed and I think Xbox, Nintendo, Google and Yoshida even mentioned Sony were the problem for a port. Who knows if those issues are solved, but I think we are getting there.
And tbf this is all on SE. YoshiP can't say for sure he won't or that it will. If they had the extra manpower and other resources then maybe. Its just not up to him. They can't just say "port it" when the team doesn't have the resources or permission to do so. Especially when they are currently deep in expansion development
Of course SE would need to make the decision to give his division more ressources for FF14. But I think he is to blame for the public communication, unless SE didn't allow him to talk openly before.

He always said that the platform holders are the issue and now the issue are the ressources? Why not say this from the start like "We want the game to be enjoyed on as many platform as possible, but unfortunately we ran into several issues with the platform holders and to be honest, with a game like this supporting more platforms is a huge undertaking and we aren't sure if that's something we can do without sacrifices in our schedule and/or content. Never say never, but it's unlikely at the moment. We are sorry".

You know I own the PC and PS version of the game and played this game since 2013 for almost a year in-game time. I am a huge fan and think Yoshida is one of the best and down to earth persons in his position. I know people who meet him and casually talked to him. But I think how he handled this communication is poor.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
No, it isn't.

It means the need for new servers, possibly a new data center, and not to mention other obstacles that need to be overcome (gold requirement, older checks for the Xbox community to play alone which cannot happen in XIV, etc.)

It is anything but "just a port".

You wouldn't necessarily need a new datacenter. Servers are an existing cost regardless of xbox or not. Square already has low population worlds already within the existing datacenter system already. If they needed to spin up additional worlds that would be a good thing for them not a negative. Espcially considering the poor financial situation avengers put them in.

You also wouldn't need checks for Xbox community to play alone as existing games don't require this feature. As far as I'm aware for instance, I'm not able to opt-out of crossplay in warzone. Why would it be a requirement here?

The gold requirement has already come down when Microsoft relented on free-to-play games so seems like a moot argument as the starter edition can exist without gold. The subscription portion wouldn't be any different than any other subscription service already on Xbox.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is there a starter's guide to FF14 as an exclusive solo player who just wants to get in on the story hype?

There are some instances that you will have to do with other players, but for the main story you usually don't have to communicate a lot. (Most people just say "Hi" at the start of the dungeon and "gg" when leaving.

The game clearly tells you where to go for the main story though and if you wanted to you could just follow that and more or less ignore the rest.

Join us in the new player thread for help: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fo...me-tips-for-maximizing-your-enjoyment.253137/

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Square Enix "probably" drop PS4 support?

The supply-constrained PS5 and Xbox Series' combined installed base pales in comparison to the PS4.

They'd be better off eschewing any significant leaps in hardware requirements in favor of a Switch port, let alone all of the low-to-mid range PCs that can currently run the game.
The expansion after endwalker will be in ~3 years as of right now. If they can't ship enough consoles until then, then the semiconductor industry has far bigger problems. And what is considered a mid-range PC will change also in 3 years

PS3 was dropped because it held the game back, not because they wanted it. It really depends on how many people move to PS5. If the ratio is not that big for the game, they are not going to end support for it. Especially if the PS4 version is not hindering the game. As long as it can run the minimum specs of the PC version, the platform will be supported
The base PS4 is already struggling and in let's say 3 year, this old machine with an even more outdated CPU will hold the game back even more. The engine doesn't utilize all cores on my Zen+ PC, that's why Limsa is totally unstable frameratewise. And now they have included a 48 player RAID. Bozja alone is incredible if you consider the amount of player in one instance and why should they limit themselves? As if they would just stop there and support a platform for all eternity. They even made the switch from PS4 to PS5 free and I reather see them offering streaming solutions, which would at least make sense for a MMO.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is a dumb requirements indeed and I think Xbox, Nintendo, Google and Yoshida even mentioned Sony were the problem for a port. Who knows if those issues are solved, but I think we are getting there.
Of course SE would need to make the decision to give his division more ressources for FF14. But I think he is to blame for the public communication, unless SE didn't allow him to talk openly before.

He always said that the platform holders are the issue and now the issue are the ressources? Why not say this from the start like "We want the game to be enjoyed on as many platform as possible, but unfortunately we ran into several issues with the platform holders and to be honest, with a game like this supporting more platforms is a huge undertaking and we aren't sure if that's something we can do without sacrifices in our schedule and/or content. Never say never, but it's unlikely at the moment. We are sorry".

You know I own the PC and PS version of the game and played this game since 2013 for almost a year in-game time. I am a huge fan and think Yoshida is one of the best and down to earth persons in his position. I know people who meet him and casually talked to him. But I think how he handled this communication is poor.
I mean he can sooner toss platform holders under the bus before he can say

"SE hasn't give us the resources despite using all the money our game makes on other projects except our own"

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a starter's guide to FF14 as an exclusive solo player who just wants to get in on the story hype?
The game has a tutorial website and it will show it to you once you start it. It has a bunch of guides and tutorials.
You would need to check the classes pre-starting it to see which one interests you. But you can switch later if you don't like the one you picked.
I started the game 10 days ago, the difficult part was adjusting to the menus and hud. That's pretty weird on a controller if that's what you planning. But after some adjusting period I'm fine with it.
Fair warning, the game story and quests design starts mundane as heck and for a loooong time. We talking fetch quest after fetch quest.
I'm an exclusive solo player as well but enjoying this game a lot after the mundane base game, the game has match making system for all required online activities and I found the online community super nice and helpfull.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game has a tutorial website and it will show it to you once you start it. It has a bunch of guides and tutorials.
You would need to check the classes pre-starting it to see which one interests you. But you can switch later if you don't like the one you picked.
I started the game 10 days ago, the difficult part was adjusting to the menus and hud. That's pretty weird on a controller if that's what you planning. But after some adjusting period I'm fine with it.
Fair warning, the game story and quests design starts mundane as heck and for a loooong time. We talking fetch quest after fetch quest.
I'm an exclusive solo player as well but enjoying this game a lot after the mundane base game, the game has match making system for all required online activities and I found the online community super nice and helpfull.
Yo at least you can fly for the slog between lvl50 and the end of ARR

you'll be in for the good shit once HW hits

But yeah there's plenty of stuff in game a lone and people will usually help you

they even have a specific mentor system will people go and help you learn the class you are playing

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm done after Endwalker then. I'll be getting rid of my old gaming PC in the next year or so when I finally move.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
You wouldn't necessarily need a new datacenter. Servers are an existing cost regardless of xbox or not. Square already has low population worlds already within the existing datacenter system already. If they needed to spin up additional worlds that would be a good thing for them not a negative. Espcially considering the poor financial situation avengers put them in.
No lies detected. I don't want to offend the user, but he basically was saying more players are a bad thing and that's never the case.
Why would it be a requirement here?
I think it was a requirements. If you don't follow this news, then I want to let you know that Yoshida is asked the port question for years now and back then the landscape and policies were different.
The base PS4 is already struggling and in let's say 3 year, this old machine with an even more outdated CPU will hold the game back even more
PS4 version is fine, at least the PS4 Pro version I still used, because I switch between PC and PS4. It's all about the minimum specs and those are the limiting factor. So in other words, low stoneage PC are the limiting factor and not the PS4, which is above the minimum requirements of Shadowbringers.
I mean he can sooner toss platform holders under the bus before he can say

"SE hasn't give us the resources despite using all the money our game makes on other projects except our own"
When you put it like this, perhaps that was SE intention. First throw platform holders unde the bus (and rightfully so, because there were issues with them) and then talk about the rest.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yo at least you can fly for the slog between lvl50 and the end of ARR

you'll be in for the good shit once HW hits

But yeah there's plenty of stuff in game a lone and people will usually help you

I did that post ARR, it broke those quests of how easy it is now to go anywhere lol
Also I think they cut down that slog a bit since the revamp last August as it wasn't too bad for me 🤔

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I would think Xbox were simply just too late about dropping the Gold requirement for multiplayer games.
This wasn't the only issue with Xbox and not the only issue with platform holders. Yoshida said they have/had issues with Nintendo, Google, Microsoft and indeed run into issues regarding cross play with Sony. So all parties screwed up at some point basically.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Choose a class and just do story quests and job quests every 5 levels to unlock more abilities.
There are tanks, healers and damage dealers (ranged and melee)
Ignore crafting and gathering classes.

If you want the shortest queues pick a tank. Healers also have short queues.
I'm a bard and for some of the main story quests I spent 30 minutes waiting for a party lol

In the top right there's a button that takes shows you the next main quest. And if you have a job quest it'll be in orange.

Buy some cheap food like a boiled egg. If you eat it it gives you 3% bonus xp for 30 minutes. It stacks up over time.

Also when you create your character there might be a server indicated where if you create your character there you'll earn bonus XP.

If you do the class tutorials (indicated by a large sprout icon) you get a ring that gives you a 30% XP boost.

Also if you do find a free company (it's a guild/clan) then they can activate bonus XP as well.

The trial is unlimited free until the end of the first expansion.
Just that if you start on PC you have to stay on PC or same with PS4. Unless you buy and subscribe.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well damn, guess I'll definitely move over to New Genesis when that comes out.

I don't want to have to upgrade my aging pc to continue playing and buy a Series X when it's available too.

What a shame.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they probably don't see enough of a user base on Xbox to justify the cost of bring it to Xbox. I mean they do have sales data for their other games on Xbox and they guess a fraction of those people would actually subscribe. If do ever decide to make another MMO, they need to be on Xbox day one though.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This wasn't the only issue with Xbox and not the only issue with platform holders. Yoshida said they have/had issues with Nintendo, Google, Microsoft and indeed run into issues regarding cross play with Sony. So all parties screwed up at some point basically.

When has he mentioned issues with Nintendo or Sony? Like serious policy issues?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Ah so that twitter post mentioning Sony buying Square was correct all this time!

/s

SE is weird with their announcements. At one point, they said all FF will eventually arrive on the PS4 iirc. There's still no I-VI and they are never coming.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
And this still won't stop all the port begging.

And for good reason. As someone who plays on PC and PS4 I've wanted the game brought to Microsoft systems for a long time because it would open up the game to more people and bring in even more fresh blood. It might even give NA some new servers, something that hasn't happened since the beginning of ARR.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

You also wouldn't need checks for Xbox community to play alone as existing games don't require this feature. As far as I'm aware for instance, I'm not able to opt-out of crossplay in warzone. Why would it be a requirement here?

The gold requirement has already come down when Microsoft relented on free-to-play games so seems like a moot argument as the starter edition can exist without gold. The subscription portion wouldn't be any different than any other subscription service already on Xbox.

A lot of the "low pop" worlds on FFXIV currently have queues as well and you are talking about potentially adding thousands of more people to the population, some of which will pile onto already crammed servers. I never said it's a bad thing, but it IS a cost and resource thing that needs to be considered. There's a stark difference between a game naturally growing and acquiring new players vs. launching on a new platform and seeing a possible giant spike.

The Xbox community opt-out was a requirement as of two years ago and while it may or may not be a thing today, it unquestionably had an impact on games and required planning around it. I worked on a few that had to weigh their plans vs. the requirement and XIV would have been no different.

Gold being a possible wall was an example I used, that of course can be overcome, but my point was moreso that there are a large number of hurdles, some technical, some platform related, some just plain cost vs. expected profit that need to be overcome for XIV to hit Xbox. The entire patch content pipeline would have to be expanded for the addition of Xbox, as an example.

No lies detected. I don't want to offend the user, but he basically was saying more players are a bad thing and that's never the case.
I think it was a requirements. If you don't follow this news, then I want to let you know that Yoshida is asked the port question for years now and back then the landscape and policies were different.
PS4 version is fine, at least the PS4 Pro version I still used, because I switch between PC and PS4. It's all about the minimum specs and those are the limiting factor. So in other words, low stoneage PC are the limiting factor and not the PS4, which is above the minimum requirements of Shadowbringers.
When you put it like this, perhaps that was SE intention. First throw platform holders unde the bus (and rightfully so, because there were issues with them) and then talk about the rest.

You aren't offending me because I never said more players are a bad thing. I said that a spike of players would require additional server capacity to spread out that spike, which would be a cost for the company. It's not at all a dealbreaker, but when you are analyzing whether or not you are going to port a game to another platform you have to consider all of the possible costs, barriers and potential profit and I was using the additional servers as an example of one of the smaller cost additions that could, in addition to everything else, make it not worth it. Everything adds up.

A lot of the barriers that prevented XIV from coming to Xbox would have needed to be removed ages ago and they weren't, so we've ended up in a situation where even though the barriers may be softened or flat out removed these days, the cost just may not be worth it.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Would be very surprised if this does not eventually come to Win10 in one way or another...

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This is a damn shame. I can understand, especially under COVID restrictions, but it's still a shame.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they kept talking about wanting to put it on more platforms before then, maybe negotiations failed hard.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
All good , wouldn't want it coming to Xbox if I still have to use that moogle network to manage my account anyway. It was a nightmare for me to cancel the last time I ventured in there.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Final Fantasy will be a PlayStation brand in the near future.
Frankly, yeah. I believe so as well. It'll be Sony's answer to their JRPG problem (+ it fits their blockbuster big IP games) and it helps Square with their budgets and former problems with projects.

XIV, XVI, VII Remake are all games I think will have exclusivity to Playstation platforms longer than 12 months. Very much becoming a Playstation brand (again) in my eyes

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It is a dumb requirements from Xboy indeed and I think Xbox, Nintendo, Google and Yoshida even mentioned Sony were the problem for a port. Who knows if those issues are solved, but I think we are getting there.

To be fair back when Yoshida said he was interested in porting FFXIV to Xbox his team wasn't working on a PS5 port at the same time.
Considering Endwalker is also ending the current storyline could mean that they're going all out for the expansion after that to kick off a new storyline with a bang. That would also require all hands on deck without resources to spare for a port.
I guess it all comes down to missing that perfect timing and Phil once again made the statement that fans wanted to hear but it seems he wasn't that serious about it after all. Don't tell me the company that is able to buy Zenimax can't strike a deal with SE to get a port to happen.
Phil knew a vocal minority of the fanbase wanted a port to happen and he said the things he said because it was good PR at the time but it turns out he wasn't willing to actually pay the price of admission.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
All good , wouldn't want it coming to Xbox if I still have to use that moogle network to manage my account anyway. It was a nightmare for me to cancel the last time I ventured in there.

Takes like 10 seconds nowadays. No clue when the last time you tried was though

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
To be fair back when Yoshida said he was interested in porting FFXIV to Xbox his team wasn't working on a PS5 port at the same time.
Considering Endwalker is also ending the current storyline could mean that they're going all out for the expansion after that to kick off a new storyline with a bang. That would also require all hands on deck without resources to spare for a port.
I guess it all comes down to missing that perfect timing and Phil once again made the statement that fans wanted to hear but it seems he wasn't that serious about it after all. Don't tell me the company that is able to buy Zenimax can't strike a deal with SE to get a port to happen.
Phil knew a vocal minority of the fanbase wanted a port to happen and he said the things he said because it was good PR at the time but it turns out he wasn't willing to actually pay the price of admission.

That's apples and oranges. Making Zenimax games exclusive to your console, potentially moves units. No one is buying an XBox because they can play FFXIV seven and a half years after it launched. Would it be great? Sure. Should it have happened already? Probably. But I'm not going to suggest it's Phil's fault that it hasn't happened. That's a ludicrous take.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It was never officially announced. Just Phil Spencer commenting that it will come to Xbox.

There was a German article quoting Yoshi P speaking to Game Watch where he stated that possibilities were explored for further platforms including Xbox. Disappointing news, but not totally unexpected. Maybe Game Pass for PC with achievements support could be a good solution for now.

mein-mmo.de

Final Fantasy XIV: Wie steht es eigentlich um die Xbox-Version? – Das sagt der Chef

Der Direktor von Final Fantasy XIV will sein MMORPG auf die Microsoft-Konsole bringen. Er verliert aber auch paar Worte über eine PS5-Version.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
That's apples and oranges. Making Zenimax games exclusive to your console, potentially moves units. No one is buying an XBox because they can play FFXIV seven and a half years after it launched. Would it be great? Sure. Should it have happened already? Probably. But I'm not going to suggest it's Phil's fault that it hasn't happened. That's a ludicrous take.
I'm not saying they're on the same level as business decisions or even that it would be a financially sound decision. It's very likely not because it seems MS would need to foot the entire bill for the development since Yoshida admitted that his team currently doesn't have enough headroom for it.
All I'm saying is that Phil promised that FFXIV was coming to Xbox and that turned out to be a lie. He could have made it happen if he was willing to open his wallet and decided against it (or was shut down by higher ups but considering his wording you'd think he was fully comitted to working out a deal instead of half assing it).
Here's the quote as a reminder:

I've been dedicated to, working with [director] Yoshida-san to find a solution to bring that game to Xbox. And while it's not in the news today, I wanted you to know, rest assured, that we will be bringing that game to Xbox.

"We have a great relationship with Yoshida-san, and we're working through what it means to bring a cross-platform MMO that they've run for years. But it will be one of the games that's coming and it's something I know our Xbox fans will be incredibly excited to see."

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying they're on the same level as business decisions or even that it would be a financially sound decision. It's very likely not because it seems MS would need to foot the entire bill for the development since Yoshida admitted that his team currently doesn't have enough headroom for it.
All I'm saying is that Phil promised that FFXIV was coming to Xbox and that turned out to be a lie. He could have made it happen if he was willing to open his wallet and decided against it (or was shut down by higher ups but considering his wording you'd think he was fully comitted to working out a deal instead of half assing it).
Here's the quote as a reminder:

It was his intention to get it to happen but at the end of the day, he doesn't control Square, if they're keen to move their development focus elsewhere... that's really the end of the conversation.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
5 years, without considering Endwalker that's roughly 2 more expansions.

Considering they are ending the current storyline in 6.0 and setting a new one, it must be shorter I presume?
Or maybe they'll stop the expansions and only do patches after that.
I wouldn't read too much into this beyond Yoshida indicating that this is how much they currently have a fairly firm idea of plans for right now. Kind of like how shortly before Stormblood came out he said he had an ending for the story in mind and that it would probably take a couple more expansions to get to.

Realistically, this is a company that is still releasing content for Final Fantasy XI, a game that came out nearly 20 years ago. If people are still playing XIV 5 years from now, they're going to keep going. Whether it's full-blown expansions like it's been in the past or more like the smaller content updates that FFXI gets nowadays is another matter. I wouldn't expect them to move on from big expansions until they've moved on to a new MMO, or whatever its equivalent is going to be by the time we get to that.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
It was his intention to get it to happen but at the end of the day, he doesn't control Square, if they're keen to move their development focus elsewhere... that's really the end of the conversation.
Like I said. MS could foot the entire bill and there'd be no reason for SE to say no to more potential sales and subs if someone else fronted the cash.
After getting the port out the subs would pay for the extra work it'd take to sustain the extra version.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there is no guide needed, but you will find plenty of help if you want.

Just follow the main quest line. You will only need to play with others on dungeons and it's super easy.

I was a FF fan that never played an MMO and the thought of paying a monthly subscription was almost offensive to me.

Last year in the middle of the COVID crisis I decided to give the game a go because I managed to buy the ultimate edition for 10 bucks.

My idea was to play the game for the time included (1 month) and drop it. Over one thousand hours later FFXIV is on it's way to be my most played game ever surpassing Battlefield.

Give it a try if you can find it for cheap. You will have plenty of time to find out if paying the subscription is worth it for you.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said. MS could foot the entire bill and there'd be no reason for SE to say no to more potential sales and subs if someone else fronted the cash.
After getting the port out the subs would pay for the extra work it'd take to sustain the extra version.

MS paying for it doesn't mean Square is obligated to do it though, any developers they'd have to use to port it would be resources that they'd have to take away from something else.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If this was the case Both Yoshi & Phil should've said something earlier on than just trying to pretend they never said anything. Both of them talked about bringing it to Xbox with some rather strong finality in their words.

My guess is Square expected MS to do the work and MS expected they had the resources to do the work if they paid. So if all there is is a check and no one to do the work, they figured why bother.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
The game has been available on PC since the beginning.
Sorry, I meant through the Windows store or with a UWP wrapper. I might be/probably am wrong or being optimistic, just figured with the extensive relationship they have with Squenix for GamePass that they might be working on brining it to the platform even if it is only to provide another "launcher" for the game.

I am 100% willing to accept this might be totally off-base. Figured it was another potential line of subscription/users for them, but the numbers might be so small that it would irrelevant.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That makes the previous assurance that it was coming to Xbox (Phil Spencer's words, not Yoshida's) a big disappointment, then.

I'm not platform-locked out from FFXIV, so I really shouldn't complain, but I would kinda prefer to play on my Xbox.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
So Sony pays for timed exclusivity and since SE is "lacking resources" it becomes full exclusive

400 IQ moves from Sony then

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't be that shocked if Sony was in talks to buy Square Enix and they don't want to end up in the ambiguous MS/Zenimax situation where they need to continue supporting live service games on competing platforms. Could be lack of resources too I guess, but how much money/effort would it really take to port the game to Xbox at this point?

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
The expansion after Endwalker will probably be released in Summer/Fall 2023.
I would assume that PS5 install base will be fine then just like the PS4 install base was when they cut off PS3 support with Stormblood.

I certainly hope that's the case by 2023, but I'm pessimistic on next-gen's adoption rate over the next 2-3 years. The demand is clearly there, but we're only expecting to see some relief in the semiconductor industry by the end of this year. There doesn't appear to be any consensus on when the shortage will end — searching online indicates it could be "into 2022" or as late as 2023.

The expansion after endwalker will be in ~3 years as of right now. If they can't ship enough consoles until then, then the semiconductor industry has far bigger problems. And what is considered a mid-range PC will change also in 3 years

The components that people can afford (or even acquire) today will also have an impact on the makeup of mainstream PC gaming 3 years into the future, and it's pretty grim on the GPU front. Nvidia is re-releasing GTX 1050s and RTX 2060s just to meet demand. Pre-owned GTX 1660s are selling for $100-200 over MSRP. The $329 RTX 3060 will exist for 30 seconds milliseconds on February 25th.

The base PS4 is already struggling and in let's say 3 year, this old machine with an even more outdated CPU will hold the game back even more. The engine doesn't utilize all cores on my Zen+ PC, that's why Limsa is totally unstable frameratewise. And now they have included a 48 player RAID. Bozja alone is incredible if you consider the amount of player in one instance and why should they limit themselves? As if they would just stop there and support a platform for all eternity. They even made the switch from PS4 to PS5 free and I reather see them offering streaming solutions, which would at least make sense for a MMO.

I'm not confident that Yoshi's team would even bother with substantial graphical/under-the-hood upgrades, even if they had the opportunity to cutoff PS4 support, especially Given Yoshi-P's rejection of any concrete plans for a major graphical overhaul:

Yoshi P said:
By raising the quality a bit higher we may unintentionally exclude people by having such an increased quality. Which is completely defeating the purpose, we want people to enjoy the game. We can't plan for it on a whim, we have to be very meticulous, we have to make detailed plans for it. Including, how are we going to set up our workflow, how are we going to have our pipeline set up, how are we going to code based the deadlines we need to meet? How do we create a pipeline to make a massive amount of assets in the game?

Of course, I'd love to be able to upgrade the graphics at some point but it will require a lot of planning. We're exhausted from Shadowbringers so we want to launch that and maybe then we'll consider our options.

The PS3 was a clearly a limitation on what they could do with the UI and the scope of zones in ARR and Heavensward (especially Sea of Clouds and Azys La, woof), but the PS4 hasn't been a limiting factor for a host of new UI features and much more detailed flying-enabled zones like Azim Steppe and Il Mheg.

On the PC side, the DirectX11 client is the only major update to the game's engine since the launch of ARR, and even though the minimum requirements are nudged upwards with every expansion, the visual and gameplay improvements are marginal at best.

Simply put, Square Enix prefers accessible system requirements (similar to World of Warcraft) to maintain a large player base. Yoshi-P also plays it safe by avoiding anything that could delay their content delivery schedule, like retooling a ton of existing assets (i.e. headwear on Viera and Hrothgar). Is a massive overhaul in 2023-2024 worth dropping PS4 support for an already successful platform that would end within 2 years?