• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
3660967-536-1024x576.png
www.gamespot.com

FFXIV 5.3 Update Is Live With Free Trial, Revamped Questlines, Job Changes, Nier Automata Raid

FFXIV's 5.3 update brings a ton of new content like raids, dungeons, and story quests in addition to a revamp of the base game.

Haven't seen this posted. But some of the concept art for the next raid is quite interesting..... (especially since all this is canon to NieR). Now I just need to actually play and get to Shadowbringers content...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bit of warning if you're starting out: I've put about 20+ hours into it recently (over the past three weeks) and got to level 50; the game's main quest is a total slog until the levels 45+, where it gets pretty entertaining - and that's before hitting expansion content. Go on a server with +100% exp bonus.

Altho I guess the 5.3 update is supposed to remove 13% of filler quests. So it might be a good idea to wait before starting. Game is filled with fan service (you can drive around Fenrir and the Quartz Regalia as mounts) and now they're putting canon content from other franchises into it. I hope these writers (and the job system) make it on board for the next mainline entry because the writing achieves a level of sophistication that's sorely missing from recent outings.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest. Waste of an entire expacs worth of raids. Really boring visually and slow as hell, boring designs on the bosses. Amazing game however.

OP
OP
SchroDingerzat

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Dat concept art makes me think the new ending added to Nier Replicant will lead to the events of FFXIV

Would be bonkers....yet completely expect Yoko Taro to do it.

On a very slightly related note.....SINoALICE is apart of the Taroverse.... FF Record keepers has a library as well.... would make sense for a crossover.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you're interested in getting into FFXIV in order to play these raids - understand that we're talking about playing hundreds of hours just to get to the endgame in order to do so. I'm around 430 hours nearing the end of the Stormblood 4.x patch quests while taking my time, and it's very likely I'll hit 500 hours before even finishing Shadowbringers.

FFXIV is definitely more than a bit of a commitment.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
If you're interested in getting into FFXIV in order to play these raids - understand that we're talking about playing hundreds of hours just to get to the endgame in order to do so. I'm around 430 hours nearing the end of the Stormblood 4.x patch quests while taking my time, and it's very likely I'll hit 500 hours before even finishing Shadowbringers.

unless of course you're rich lol

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

So you're saying that twenty hours in, I'm still a little while off from the Nier stuff?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten around to the NieR stuff in FFXIV yet (unsubbed after finishing Shadowbringers, I take the game extremely slowly so it's nice to have a big backlog of stuff to do once I come back before the next expansion), had no idea it was canon

Does the writing work well? FFXIV and NieR seem very different in tone (Drakengard even more so if they ever reference that), dunno how I feel about them borrowing too much from it. Though I saw the memes about Taro being asked to not make the WoL do something out of character.

Also raises a lot of questions about the theology of both universes but that's something the FFXV cross-over already muddled a bit

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten around to the NieR stuff in FFXIV yet (unsubbed after finishing Shadowbringers, I take the game extremely slowly so it's nice to have a big backlog of stuff to do once I come back before the next expansion), had no idea it was canon

Does the writing work well? FFXIV and NieR seem very different in tone (Drakengard even more so if they ever reference that), dunno how I feel about them borrowing too much from it. Though I saw the memes about Taro being asked to not make the WoL do something out of character.

Also raises a lot of questions about the theology of both universes but that's something the FFXV cross-over already muddled a bit
FFXIV always puts a good amount of effort in making sure all the crossovers fit into the world pretty well. It's only gotten started, but so far it's pretty on par with all the other crossovers in that department.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017

This isn't true. If anybody wants to start FF14 just for the Nier raid, it's about $50 (or was it $30?) for the boosts and they could get there in 50-ish hours maybe even less.

OP
OP
SchroDingerzat

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018

I want to see some of these memes!

Guessing it's the watchers being sin eaters?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Is there a way to know how many hours I have played FFXIV? If I didn't buy it in Steam, of course.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait. Doing Copied Factory on day 1 was a very memorable experience. Seeing 24 people running around like chickens with their heads cut off and messing up all the mechanics is such a pleasure. Not nearly as much fun once everyone knows what they're doing. The Alliance Raids are some of my favorite stuff in the game, I like any FFXIV content where big groups of people come together to do something the most (I'm going to attempt that big 56-player "public dungeon" from the end of Eureka soon, very excited).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

500 hours?

You can (and with 5.3 for sure) easily catch up to Shadowbringers in half of that time.

Only way it could ever take that long is if you decide to do everything, crafting included.

My friend got nearly to 5.1 in just their free month you get when you buy the game.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait. Doing Copied Factory on day 1 was a very memorable experience. Seeing 24 people running around like chickens with their heads cut off and messing up all the mechanics is such a pleasure. Not nearly as much fun once everyone knows what they're doing.
Man...i played that raid too many times that first week just for that glam. Took me like 13 or so tries. It was fun to actually do a new alliance raid, since i missed the other ones.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Man...i played that raid too many times that first week just for that glam. Took me like 13 or so tries. It was fun to actually do a new alliance raid, since i missed the other ones.
I would love to go back in time and do Orbonne Monastery day 1. I didn't start playing until ShB, missed it by 6 months, but it's definitely my favorite Alliance raid and unquestionably the most challenging one.

So you're saying that twenty hours in, I'm still a little while off from the Nier stuff?
A few hundred hours. The NieR raids are level 80.

You have to finish the Shadowbringers storyline, get some end-game level gear (not the very best available, just the minimum to meet the requirement), and then you there's a questline you can do that will unlock the raids.

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A few hundred hours. The NieR raids are level 80.

You have to finish the Shadowbringers storyline, get some end-game level gear (not the very best available, just the minimum to meet the requirement), and then you there's a questline you can do that will unlock the raids.

There's a fair bit of content they can ignore if their sole interest is the Nier raid, but yeah, there's a lot of great stuff on the way there. And the Nier raid won't be fully told until at least Jan or Feb 2021, provided Covid doesn't delay it even further, so they've got plenty of time.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I can't wait. Doing Copied Factory on day 1 was a very memorable experience. Seeing 24 people running around like chickens with their heads cut off and messing up all the mechanics is such a pleasure. Not nearly as much fun once everyone knows what they're doing. The Alliance Raids are some of my favorite stuff in the game, I like any FFXIV content where big groups of people come together to do something the most (I'm going to attempt that big 56-player "public dungeon" from the end of Eureka soon, very excited).
I still get Copied Factory runs like that. We'll probably get more when people will be running it to get the coin again.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Story/level boost is only like $30?
For paying like $14/month to play this, it's not that much. After ARR the story really is great and you should avoid skipping it if you can. The Nier stuff isn't going to go away.
And if someone does skip it - for the love of god look up guides on how to play your Job and at least the basic mechanics like "stack" and "run away from the group." Despise seeing boosted people in Raids and Dungeons who don't know what they're doing and don't take the blame for their fuck ups.

are we doing /playtime

PYpKKHc.png

run away, children, do not be tempted by Nier
YMqHEjf.png

Though I've been playing on and off since 2.3 so my playtime is comparably low . :P

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are we doing /playtime

PYpKKHc.png

run away, children, do not be tempted by Nier

I would love to go back in time and do Orbonne Monastery day 1. I didn't start playing until ShB, missed it by 6 months, but it's definitely my favorite Alliance raid and unquestionably the most challenging one.

Day 1 was usually smooth sailing up until Cid, upon which every group I was in either broke apart, or entered Hardcore Progression Raiding mode where we spent upwards of forty minutes trying to drag people through it, and then ran out of time on Ultima. Usually it was someone being dumb with Crush Weapon or Shadowblade, and then wiping the raid to Duskblade.

It was very much Ozma 2: Electric Boogaloo. I believe I actually cleared on Day 2 thanks to bad luck with DF, lol.

The most memorable moment in all of FFXIV remains Construct 7, and watching 23 other grown adults suddenly freeze upon being asked to remember what a prime number is.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
500 hours?

You can (and with 5.3 for sure) easily catch up to Shadowbringers in half of that time.

Only way it could ever take that long is if you decide to do everything, crafting included.

My friend got nearly to 5.1 in just their free month you get when you buy the game.
Yeah I was confused by this. We had a guildie join late last year and only played like 2 hours a day for like a few months and caught up to 3 expacs worth of content. With the new EXP buffs and the roulettes and everything even if you play solo you're looking at an easy time to at the very least get out of ARR.

Day 1 was usually smooth sailing up until Cid, upon which every group I was in either broke apart, or entered Hardcore Progression Raiding mode where we spent upwards of forty minutes trying to drag people through it, and then ran out of time on Ultima. Usually it was someone being dumb with Crush Weapon or Shadowblade, and then wiping the raid to Duskblade.

It was very much Ozma 2: Electric Boogaloo. I believe I actually cleared on Day 2 thanks to bad luck with DF, lol.

The most memorable moment in all of FFXIV remains Construct 7, and watching 23 other grown adults suddenly freeze upon being asked to remember what a prime number is.
Cid is one of my favorite fights in the game not only for his voice lines but just the fight itself. Really great. Love that raid.

On the prime numbers it's funny because the first time I ran it I read the note on the golem and went "ah okay" and my friends were like "WHATS HAPPENING" and I felt good for reading the note :P

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
And if someone does skip it - for the love of god look up guides on how to play your Job and at least the basic mechanics like "stack" and "run away from the group." Despise seeing boosted people in Raids and Dungeons who don't know what they're doing and don't take the blame for their fuck ups.
This is the best basic mechanic primer I've found

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Putting in some amateur numbers over here. I wish I was at home so I could provide receipts but I'm upwards of 900 days on that counter.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by the concept art, is that the NierA android space station? Is this a sequel to NierA? That might explain the room full of 2B bodies...

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Looking forward to it. Doing Copied Factory day 1 was a lot of fun, and the 460 items + 2b coffer was a game changer for glamour.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope The Puppet's Bunker is better than The Copied Factory. Copied Factory is my least favorite 24 man raid in the entire game. It's so boring and takes too long to get through. The bosses in that raid have way too much HP. Each of them takes forever to kill. It would be a lot better if all the bosses had their HP reduced by at least 1/3. I need to run it some before 5.1. to get more upgrade tokens, so I can upgrade the newest Tomestone gear to ilevel 500 with Copied Factory and Puppet's Bunker tokens, but I always dread doing that raid.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But really, if you're just here for the Nier stuff, you'll probably want to just watch the cutscenes and raid footage on youtube. FFXIV is effectively four whole video games at this point, and if you're not interested in FFXIV itself, you'll probably be disappointed. Same for the Ivalice, Monster Hunter, etc. stuff.

Damn, that's nice, very concrete. Gonna save that link to pass it around when needed, thanks!

As a note, some of the ARR raids do have stack markers that aren't marked this way. All of these were more or less standardized in Heavesnward.

Though I've been playing on and off since 2.3 so my playtime is comparably low . :P

Combined with my old character, I reach 122 days, lol.
Got really bored somewhere in the 4.2 doldrums, and ended up with a new main.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to blame the individual, but the system that allows the skip. I can see it both ways. That late in the game, if you've gone through it legit the whole way, you should have an FC or other friends on your server that can run it with you. That does assume perfect conditions, timing, and schedules. :)

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
This is the best basic mechanic primer I've found

Sharing that to save lives for friends with alts who never play tanks and stuff and boosts haha.

I'd want to make one for post ShB because everyone has AOEs now and I still see DPS use single target skills like we're in the old days. I'm so glad they added AOE damage skills in the game with combos and stuff.

Going by the concept art, is that the NierA android space station? Is this a sequel to NierA? That might explain the room full of 2B bodies...
I mean I'm still of the impression that the arc "landed" here or something and it's REAL 9S from the original game of Automata and the arc has gone awry trying to recreate everything from the previous world. We have the warehouse and this station and stuff but it could just be a lapse in dimensions too. It's semi-clear though that 9S is probably the good guy in this and that we might be doing the wrong thing helping the "copies" haha

No. It's just like the Ivaliace raids from Stormblood. They take the characters and concepts from Nier and make them fit into the Final Fantasy XIV world and lore. XIV and Nier aren't in the same universe.
I dunno I thought Taro said this raid is "Canon" so it's inherently linked in ways the others weren't?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that canonically, Lightning was actually on the XIV world. I can see this being canon to Nier:A.

OP
OP
SchroDingerzat

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
No. It's just like the Ivaliace raids from Stormblood. They take the characters and concepts from Nier and make them fit into the Final Fantasy XIV world and lore. XIV and Nier aren't in the same universe.

There is a difference, Ivalice is an alternate version of Ivalice within the world of FF14, and therefore is not canon to the Ivalice univese. The NieR stuff is implied to my knowledge to be the actual beings from the NieR universe and is canon to it.

Remember that canonically, Lightning was actually on the XIV world. I can see this being canon to Nier:A.

Same as Noctis.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest. Waste of an entire expacs worth of raids. Really boring visually and slow as hell, boring designs on the bosses. Amazing game however.

I kind of agree. Mechanically it's a pretty fun raid, I've enjoyed it on GNB and DNC. But visually it's whatever. I wish they had gone with something original like Void Ark, even if the first tier was also pretty boring.

Visually. I can't get over how much it clashes with the rest of FFXIV. The rest of the game is such a mix of different styles already (Allagan, Alexandrian, Garlean and so on) but the Nier stuff just doesn't quite fit to me.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
But thats boring :P I need FFXIV to be included in the Yoko Taro cinematic universe!