• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
www.insider.com

Mexico's version of Burning Man became a COVID-19 super-spreader event after at least 17 US attendees returned home and tested positive

Doctors in New York City say they have seen a spate of cases tied to Art With Me, an arts and wellness festival held in Tulum in November.

elpais.com

Un festival de arte y música de Tulum desata la polémica tras un supuesto rebrote de covid

Una clínica de Nueva York ha denunciado que el 70% de los positivos que ha recibido provienen de asistentes de las famosas fiestas en la playa de Quintana Roo

Eleonora Walczak, founder of Checkmate Health Strategies based in Miami and New York, told the Daily Beast 60-70% of her positive COVID-19 patients in the last three weeks had gone to the festival.
The festival included activities like group meditations (often with maskless attendees according to DJs at the event), cultural immersion experiences from local artists, and packed dancefloors filled with hundreds of attendees.

Lots of Spanish media covering this story but I could only find a couple of sources in English (and some are banned here).

Reminder that Mexico is not covid-free, in fact along with the US and Brazil it is one of the worst hit and worst managed countries in the Americas in this pandemic.

www.nytimes.com

Mexico Coronavirus Map and Case Count (Published 2023)

See the latest charts and maps of coronavirus cases, deaths and vaccinations in Mexico.

There have been at least 1,205,200 cases of the coronavirus in Mexico, according to the National Agency of Science and Technology. As of Thursday morning, 111,655 people had died.

In May, the Times found that the Mexican government was not reporting hundreds, possibly thousands, of deaths from the coronavirus in Mexico City, according to officials and confidential data.

Given the holidays are coming up I think it's worth remembering that travelling (foreign as well as domestic) for vacation right now is putting yourself, loved ones, and everyone working with the airlines and hotels etc. at risk at a time where cases are spiking again in many countries. Getting away from the cold and to that beach resort might be tempting but there is no guarantee you will not get sick or make someone else sick if you are travelling for leisure right now.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Fuck all these selfish fuckers. This shit country is rampant with this fucking virus. I took all the precautions and still ended up getting it. I'm so fucking pissed.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Fuck all these selfish fuckers. This shit country is rampant with this fucking virus. I took all the precautions and still ended up getting it. I'm so fucking pissed.
I was exposed to COVID by a reckless asshole, which then exposed my 65 yo parents to it as well. Myself and my dad are pretty sure we had it, but we were unable to get tested.

Fuck this man, start locking people up, or HEAVILY fining them.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I was exposed to COVID by a reckless asshole, which then exposed my 65 yo parents to it as well. Myself and my dad are pretty sure we had it, but we were unable to get tested.

Fuck this man, start locking people up, or HEAVILY fining them.
I'm disappointed too because in my street we were the only ones actually giving a shit. All my neighbors keep having parties and not wearing masks and none of them have gotten them. I guess I'm cursed since I was one of the few people in my county who got the swine flu back in 2011.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm disappointed too because in my street we were the only ones actually giving a shit. All my neighbors keep having parties and not wearing masks and none of them have gotten them. I guess I'm cursed since I was one of the few people in my county who got the swine flu back in 2011.
Damn I'm sorry you're in such a dangerous/stressful environment.

I went to high school with someone who almost died from swine flu. My best friend somehow caught the West Nile virus in 2003.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
When are these spoiled assholes going to realize that they are the problem. Never, I assume.

Nov 18, 2020
GsOEjbF.png

This was their approach to COVID. Of course every single person attending is going to sign that waiver. No one is actually going to tell the truth when they take a whole flight to Mexico and rent a car, and the last step before entering the festival is signing some bullshit form lol

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I was there in summer because me and my partner wanted to visit his family (he's born and raised in cancun)

if you guys saw the airport.... hundreds and hundreds of "I don't give a single fuck" mexicans and US americans.

please don't go there, protect yourselves, it's the biggest worldwide tourist covid-ridden shithole right now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yup everyone is going and taking pictures in Mexico it's honestly disgusting to me

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I was there in summer because me and my partner wanted to visit his family (he's born and raised in cancun)

if you guys saw the airport.... hundreds and hundreds of "I don't give a single fuck" mexicans and US americans.

please don't go there, protect yourselves, it's the biggest worldwide tourist covid-ridden shithole right now.

This past summer?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility

well fuck you too man

Yup everyone is going and taking pictures in Mexico it's honestly disgusting to me

mexico or the people?

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Somebody from my highschool graduating class was posting videos to his insta stories from this. Not a mask in sight - people dancing in enclosed spaces etc. It was unbelievable.

Last edited: