• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Ferrari has committed to a factory Le Mans Hypercar program, paving the way for the Italian marque to seek its first 24 Hours of Le Mans outright victory in over half a century.

Ferrari announced on Wednesday that it will develop an LMH car to race in the FIA World Endurance Championship's Hypercar class from 2023.

Technical details of the vehicle and driver lineups have yet to be revealed, although Ferrari says that it has "kicked off" the design and simulation phases.

The green-light for an LMH program gives Ferrari the opportunity to pursue its first Le Mans overall win since 1965 with the 250 LM, and will coincide with the 50-year anniversary of its last official factory participation in the top level of sports car racing.

The most recent Ferrari-badged prototype was the Dallara-designed 333 SP which last contested Le Mans in 1999.

In the 21st century, Ferrari's efforts in the French enduro have concentrated on the GT classes, both through customer teams and its own factory squad run by AF Corse.

The Ferrari works outfit clinched GTE-Pro honors at Le Mans in 2012, 2014 and most recently in 2019 with the Ferrari 488 GTE Evo (pictured).

Ferrari has not said how the introduction of a factory LMH program will affect its existing GT racing operations.

sportscar365.com

Ferrari Announces Factory LMH Program – Sportscar365

Italian manufacturer announces launch of factory Le Mans Hypercar program...

Their last overall victory:

the-unconfirmed-true-story-of-ferrari-s-last-le-mans-win-1476934740155.jpg

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe someone at Ferrari took personally the Ford vs Ferrari movie

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Toyota with thier experience will be the hot favourites. Audi and Porsche less so, due to their commitment to the LMDH approach, but I wouldn't discount Ferrari. The 24 Hours is race of attrition afterall and anything can and has happened in the past. Not to mention they'll all be BOP'ed to maintain some semblance of competition.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
So is this a direct result of the f1 cost cap and Ferrari having to find work for people? Would be cool to see a Mercedes entry in the future too.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man... might need to book something special for 2023.

Anything fancy close to the track? I did the full 24 a couple of years back and honestly the place was so dead overnight (couldn't get food or drinks) that I vowed never to do it again. Ideally I'd like some sort of glamping / motorhome setup within walking distance.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man... might need to book something special for 2023.

Anything fancy close to the track? I did the full 24 a couple of years back and honestly the place was so dead overnight (couldn't get food or drinks) that I vowed never to do it again. Ideally I'd like some sort of glamping / motorhome setup within walking distance.
Bleu Nord campsite's decent in my experience, otherwise you could look into booking a hotel in Le Mans town, but that would involve travel to and from the circuit and be bit of a mission.

www.beermountain.com

1st Tickets - Blue Nord Camping

Beermountain, guide and information on how to get the best from your trip to Le Mans.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Bleu Nord campsite's decent in my experience, otherwise you could look into booking a hotel in Le Mans town, but that would involve travel to and from the circuit and be bit of a mission.

www.beermountain.com

1st Tickets - Blue Nord Camping

Beermountain, guide and information on how to get the best from your trip to Le Mans.
Cheers, and yeah I'd definitely want it to be walking distance as bollocks to going any meaningful distance at night..

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
This has been rumoured for a while & as a way to get around the F1 budget cap.
Still it will be great to see them back at Le Mans

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Two of their competitors have revealed their LMH cars already.

Toyota with the GR010:

EsqLL3oW8AET3Mm

EsqMRxCXIAAVtiP

And Glickenhaus just yesterday posted the following:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
This has been rumoured for a while & as a way to get around the F1 budget cap.
Still it will be great to see them back at Le Mans

Yeah that's pretty much what it is, so not surprised. Ferrari were never going LMDh (or Indycar, for that matter) because of some of the spec components; they're very much of that old-school "we have to be hands-on and do everything ourselves" mentality. Hypercar is a good fit for that mindset for them.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I have followed the WEC for only a decade or so, so my most memorable moments is the rivalry between Audi and Peugeot in LMP1. This is gonna be so fucking great I can't wait for 2023.

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed WEC since 2019, when I remember there was a lot of uncertainty regarding its future with basically only Toyota as a manufacturer in the P1 category, yesterday I saw this news and was very surprised, pleasantly so. I had no idea there is going to be 6 manufacturers in the top class, ACO really seems to have turned things around.

And now I'm off to see what the new regs are, exciting times ahead!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Era should field a team. I would say Morrigan should be the driver, but she would probably think it was real life Burnout or Twisted Metal

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed WEC since 2019, when I remember there was a lot of uncertainty regarding its future with basically only Toyota as a manufacturer in the P1 category, yesterday I saw this news and was very surprised, pleasantly so. I had no idea there is going to be 6 manufacturers in the top class, ACO really seems to have turned things around.

And now I'm off to see what the new regs are, exciting times ahead!
Yeah, the new regs have made a difference certainly. The old regulations simply weren't sustainable in the long term.

The following video sums up the regs well:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
This is huge. Ferrari fanboy here so I'm really excited to see what they come up with. We're creeping up on the LaFerrari successor too, so I wonder if they'll share a platform.

I was skeptical, but it really seems like the hypercar class is successfully generating excitement in motorsport again.

Has Aston committed yet?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
This is huge. Ferrari fanboy here so I'm really excited to see what they come up with. We're creeping up on the LaFerrari successor too, so I wonder if they'll share a platform.

I was skeptical, but it really seems like the hypercar class is successfully generating excitement in motorsport again.

Has Aston committed yet?
Aston initially committed to LMH with the Valkyrie, but they pulled out due to their Formula One racing team and budgetary constraints.

We won't see the Valkyrie in race trim at Le Mans sadly.

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the new regs have made a difference certainly. The old regulations simply weren't sustainable in the long term.

The following video sums up the regs well:

Thanks!

From what I can gather, LMH will be the most custom or bespoke option, with the idea that companies can stylize the car in a way that sinergizes with their hypercar offerings which makes sense. On the other hand LMDh I understood it as a kind of souped up Daytona Prototype which makes also sense. Nowadays in motorsport there seems to be a lot of emphasis on budget caps in motorsport with F1 and now WEC.

I'm now going on a refresher course on last year's prototypes to better understand the differences with these new regulations, especially regarding the power train and hybrid unit or lack therof.