• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
eqSkWCP.png

My Chinese is not that good, and there are... jokes or idioms(?) in there that I'm not familiar with - don't want to misrepresent, so I'll refrain from a word-for-word translation, but I think I should be able to provide a general gist of what he's saying.

- He wanted to expand the development team and recruit more people.
- But wasn't able to or struggled at achieving that (I think.)
- He just wanted to record an honest trailer for purpose of recruitment and didn't expect to be praised as an industry savior
- 13 minutes of B1 ( I dunno what B1 means - B-roll? )
- There are a lot of patchwork and rough aspects on what was shared of the trailer
- He then talks about areas of the game that in his view, were still in poor shape
- something in regards to the animation of small bodies?
- something in regards to how they made the sculpt/mold of the golden cicada?
- how the body of water in the trailer completely lacked any fluid physics/any feedback
- the poor sound depth/implementation
- how the framerate during the 1,000 enemy musou sequence tanked so bad it gave them PTSD (not sure if the PTSD referred to the devs or not)
- hmm, something about how the fur implementation was still poor compared to hairless skin (I think?)
- He knows many people are currently in a depressed state and he's happy to provide some comfort
- The team is happy that the response to the reveal has been explosive, but they aren't letting it get to their heads.
- Please forget what we have shown as of this time ( p.s. context - it's more of a statement of modesty and how they don't feel like it's necessarily representative of their best work, they also want to do better )
- We will hide again after this to slowly continue, continue, continue working on the game.

I'd appreciate if someone could provide a better translation, but it should be... 70% there. :P

A more accurate summation by Arthands

Basic gist is he's saying they are just trying to recruit people with this honest little video, and they ended up getting viewed as some industry superstar. There are signs of it in the video that shows the game is some sort of a kit bash work and you can find flaws if you look. He is happy that the video is helping people to find comfort in this period of time, and the team is happy with the reception, but they are going into the background for a while to continue working hard so people can forget them for a while (essentially saying they won't provide any update in the foreseeable future)

There are mild sexual innuendo so word for word translation is a bad idea

Last edited:

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I like his attitude, it seems like he really wants to change the Chinese gaming industry, take your time, hope this game will succeed.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basic gist is he's saying they are just trying to recruit people with this honest little video, and they ended up getting viewed as some industry superstar. There are signs of it in the video that shows the game is some sort of a kit bash work and you can find flaws if you look. He is happy that the video is helping people to find comfort in this period of time, and the team is happy with the reception, but they are going into the background for a while to continue working hard so people can forget them for a while (essentially saying they won't provide any update in the foreseeable future)

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
Sounds like they want to push themselves further and it already looked amazing. I'm excited to see where the game goes.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Yep, it's more about them being overly modest about the work they've done.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
MS, Sony, Nintendo. Fund this friggen game. Or a 3rd party I don't care, SE? get'em. I really want this game out in the next 3 years.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
After seeing that video and Internet's reaction, all 3 probably want to fund his game, the one problem they face, Tencent is also watching too..

I think Tencent is more focused on the GAAS part of the market. According to the developers they want to release this as a full priced title with maybe DLC in the future.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe they're almost apologising how it looks while still making every other dev look bad. Whoever funds it, it better be a multiplat publisher, I don't care if it's Tencent or Embracer Group, anything is better than seeing this gem locked up to a console, this needs to be the new "Can it run Crysis?" game.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think Tencent is more focused on the GAAS part of the market. According to the developers they want to release this as a full priced title with maybe DLC in the future.

Tencent will "suggest" they get a nice western publisher who will help fund them, has their own storefront on PC and just so happens to have a pretty good understanding of the Engine they are using to make the game.

Epic Games Publishing.

Freddie13

Nov 2, 2017

Pretty much this---excellent translation

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
So it is a long way off. Not really taking this as representative of the game they are making just yet. Having said that they obviously have talent and wish them the best. I mean I really hope the game looks like this, because the showing is awesome across the board.

Can't believe they're almost apologising how it looks while still making every other dev look bad. Whoever funds it, it better be a multiplat publisher, I don't care if it's Tencent or Embracer Group, anything is better than seeing this gem locked up to a console, this needs to be the new "Can it run Crysis?" game.

Graphically it looks about what I expect from early next gen games, there are quite a few rough patches, including the fur as he mentioned. Obviously very far out so wouldn't take anything as a given. It looks fantastic, but the trailer is more the total package. The visuals themselves are great, but also not more impressive than the graphics in some of the other games revealed. Art direction is stellar as well.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
This or Lost souls Aside. I wonder which one is coming out first. Assuming the later wasn't quietly cancelled..

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017

ye that's pretty much it

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good from what they showed. I hope they get the funding and support they need.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That covers the PC front what about console?

Epic Games Publishing.....publishes on consoles.
Theyve already signed genDesign (The Last Guardian), Playdead (Inside, Limbo), and Remedy Entertainment (Control).

Im sure Epic also have a side studio they can pass the project onto for the downport to consoles so the main devs can just focus on getting the most out of the PC version as they can.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, hes being humble. it looked better than anything shown at the Sony and MS reveals. Let's hope he gets the funding he needs. No idea why big publishers are sleeping on this game when their games cant produce more than CG trailers.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
This is easily one of my most anticipated games in a long while. Watching the trailer actually made me proud to be part Chinese for a sec.

Hope they can deliver, and also hoping it doesn't take half a decade to finish the game. A triple-A project like this from a Chinese dev could really shakeup the industry.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this post from Yongyea, and honestly... Good for him for being as honest as he is.

It almost seems ironic to try and "apologize" for what he showed off, but I can understand if he wants to take an approach where he doesn't want to mislead people while pointing out the various flaws that were in the gameplay. Things to which... yeah, we saw some of them but didn't know they were errors (because it looked really good) while others were things we didn't notice, to begin with.

Honestly, I'm now looking forward to this game even more than when I first saw it since it isn't that often that you see someone who takes the positive feedback and is going to use it to strive to make the game even better. That's the kind of drive that's always great to see while also not being something that is going to go straight to their heads (nor forcing unrealistic expectations for the game). Best of luck to him and the team for making The Monkey King an enjoyable experience for whenever it comes out.