• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Will watch this attentively.

But god damn if I don't see some dark clouds on the horizon when it comes to discussing them.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't know how a cis goron woman look like.
If it was "no men" link could have just say she is a trans woman. Or any npc could have said that. I can understand link not saying that to give a reason for a sidequest for the city, but the npc that obviously has a beard stub should not have to hide it.

Trans woman are trans woman regardless of how manly they look.

Link should have not being kicked out if he takes any piece of women clothing in the city just because he can be read as a man.
Sure, I agree, trans women are still women and if Link identifies as a woman, he should be let into the Gerudo City. That said, Link isn't a trans woman, does not identify as female, and in fact we are given zero indication that he identifies as anything other than male, so this point is moot.

That said, yeah, the beard "gag" was gross, and should never have been included.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
From the article:

"With the exception of the particularly low point of 2016 in which only two games shown featured exclusively female protagonists (ReCore and Horizon Zero Dawn), the percentage of games shown at E3 that focus on women has hovered around the 7-9% range for the past few years, and this year shows no improvement, with 9 games, or roughly 8% of games shown, featuring female protagonists. (We counted games such as Gears of War 5 here, which may allow players to sometimes take the role of supporting male characters, so long as they clearly focus on a female character as the primary protagonist.) By contrast, just over three times as many featured games, 29 in all or roughly 24%, focus on male heroes or solely have male playable avatars or characters. "

We are now in 2019, 7 years after they started (along with all the other people the last 30 years who have been pushing for better women representation), so I would hardly say that "devs responded to the criticisms and changed for the better.". Perhaps this also has a lot to do with publishers as well, but in my experience, there do exist a bunch of sensitive reactionary men in the gaming industry who didn't respond very well to Feminist Frequency and basically had to be dragged (still do!) kicking and screaming to even acknowledge the importance of women representation in games.
It's not just about the amount of women in games it's also about how women are represented even in male focused games. In that regard there have been very notable changes since Feminist Frequency started.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sure, I agree, trans women are still women and if Link identifies as a woman, he should be let into the Gerudo City. That said, Link isn't a trans woman, does not identify as female, and in fact we are given zero indication that he identifies as anything other than male, so this point is moot.

What I am saying is that the game does now give any indication that a trans woman would be allowed in the city. Hell, they don't even ask if you are a guy before they trow you out. People who recognize that link is using women clothing don't even CONSIDER he might be a trans woman.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I am saying is that the game does now give any indication that a trans woman would be allowed in the city. Hell, they don't even ask if you are a guy before they trow you out. People who recognize that link is using women clothing don't even CONSIDER he might be a trans woman.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I think gaming as a medium in general (and really, just media in general, but that's a whole other issue) needs to become better at portraying and normalizing non heteronormative and cisgendered sexualities and gender identities, so I won't argue there.

Oct 27, 2017
The wind blowing to reveal that one gerudo has a beard was some weak shit

Yup.

the quest to get the clothes rely on lots of "surprise, it is a dude" cliches that are closely related to transphobic stuff.

Yup.

Reminder that this thread is about a Queer Tropes video series made by Carolyn Petit. Anita's old deleted dumb tweets are irrelevant.

Yup. Time to move on and actually watch the videos, folks!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
What would be some examples of queer coded video game villains?
Persona 4, Accentuated lisp and all.
latest

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

While I can see why this character would be an example, I don't really feel like he is portrayed as "gay" just flamboyant. There's an argument to be made in that flamboyancy does not always equal "gay"... now I know that is EXACTLY what queer coding is. All I'm saying is that I don't think queer coding is applicable to every instance of a flamboyant character/villain. Ghirahim definitely comes off as narcissistic and flamboyant, but I never once thought "he strikes me as gay" but I can see how a queer person might feel offended by what they could interpret as yet another queer coded villain, so I don't know. I'm not trying to defend characters like this perse, and I do see queer coding in plenty of other games.

I just don't think that every time a villain is flamboyant/narcissistic=queer coding. When they flirt etc. (my memory of Skyward Sword is fuzzy as hell, so correct me if Ghirahim does do this) and do things explicitly to hint at a sexual preference I find that far more egregious... Which is not to say characters like Ghirahim don't skirt the damn line.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
It's live !
The three episodes are up:

That third thumbnail makes me go "uh oh", because though the memory may be hazy, I do still remember the heinous way Larry 6 handled its sole gay male character. At the time I was a clueless cis boy in my early teens, and I still picked up on what a really shitty way that was to treat a character, so that's really saying something.

I am now fully prepared to be horrified.

anyprophet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I can see why this character would be an example, I don't really feel like he is portrayed as "gay" just flamboyant. There's an argument to be made in that flamboyancy does not always equal "gay"... now I know that is EXACTLY what queer coding is. All I'm saying is that I don't think queer coding is applicable to every instance of a flamboyant character/villain. Ghirahim definitely comes off as narcissistic and flamboyant, but I never once thought "he strikes me as gay" but I can see how a queer person might feel offended by what they could interpret as yet another queer coded villain, so I don't know. I'm not trying to defend characters like this perse, and I do see queer coding in plenty of other games.

I just don't think that every time a villain is flamboyant/narcissistic=queer coding. When they flirt etc. (my memory of Skyward Sword is fuzzy as hell, so correct me if Ghirahim does do this) and do things explicitly to hint at a sexual preference I find that far more egregious... Which is not to say characters like Ghirahim don't skirt the damn line.
it's a pretty well established trope that existed long before video games. and like all tropes it sort of just exits in stories and is never seriously examined. it's a shortcut to tell you this character is definitely evil. which is the bad part of the trope. it's fine to have a queer villain you just need a good story justification for it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

4wFDSvy.gif

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first one (about Zelda, GTA, etc.) and thought it was quite good. Checking out the others later today.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching all three episodes. The videos are quite thorough and cover a lot of ground, whilst being easy to follow and understand. Great work by Carolyn Petit.

A lot of the scenes shown are from games I haven't played. I do remember that particular scene and character in Breath of the Wild though, and was really disappointed by it when I came across it in my playthrough. BotW is a step forward in some ways, but as stated by Carolyn, it is still quite... outdated in some ways, which was putting it kindly.

On the topic of progress, it is nice to see more games slowly incorporating positive LGBTQ representation. There's still so much more progress that needs to be done, however. But I did enjoy seeing some of the positive examples in the video.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Just finished watching the videos. Overall, enjoyed it, and learned a lot.

I do kind of wish the "bury your gays" trope got a limelight, but I get the series is short and dense as it is. I guess that trope is a little more personal to me because it kind of stings when I see queer characters routinely get the worst ending. But that's my only real complaint.

Overall, Carolyn Petit did a good job~

Oct 27, 2017
These were really good and informative, and you can tell everyone who worked on the production was prepared to handle the counter-arguments. The production values and format have improved too. Provided a lot of food for thought.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great work from Carolyn Petit. Really fascinating.

Impressed that she mentioned 2 beat em ups and no Poison =O

But I guess her transness is more of a trivia than actual queer coding as she is just coded as a prostitute.

Yeah, I would love to hear the take on Poison because what started as a misstep somehow over the years became a real character with fans. Poison has gone from something negative to a fan favorite, playable character with some pretty great merchandise.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
God, I remember playing Police Quest 4 as a kid. Even then I knew that everything about how the game portrayed transfolk was screwed up. Hell, the way it portrayed anyone who was not a straight white dude was fucked up.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Have to watch this tonight. Just bringing up a more recent example, I was happy with how Anthem portrayed some of the NPCs as LGBT (casual mentions of wife or husband) even though the interactions were minimal and then playing yesterday they fell into a huge trope: a gay fashion designer showed up, weird German accent and all :/

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
That third thumbnail makes me go "uh oh", because though the memory may be hazy, I do still remember the heinous way Larry 6 handled its sole gay male character. At the time I was a clueless cis boy in my early teens, and I still picked up on what a really shitty way that was to treat a character, so that's really saying something.

I am now fully prepared to be horrified.

Update: I was not fully prepared.

Holy shit. The caricature character art. The lisp. Gary Fairy. And I didn't even remember about Shablee! What the fuck, Sierra?!

I don't even know why I'm surprised. Larry 5 had blackface in it.

God, I remember playing Police Quest 4 as a kid. Even then I knew that everything about how the game portrayed transfolk was screwed up. Hell, the way it portrayed anyone who was not a straight white dude was fucked up.

Yeah, the whole game is just distasteful from top to bottom. It very quickly becomes a juvenile Dirty Harry-esque power fantasy where laws and regulations just exist to get in the way of some modern day cowboy jackass. "Back off, Uncle Sam! I have a badge, and that means I should be above the law!" I mean, the protagonist doesn't literally say that, but that sure as hell isn't due to any self-awareness on the game's part.

I guess that's about what you can expect from a Darryl F. Gates game titled Open Season.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finished.
oh man, some of these examples were truly vile.
the 3 videos were really well done, kudos to feminist frequency.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The videos could have been more in depth but the point came across well and they're educational, not history of video games stuff. The examples chosen where good, especially the points about gta v in the final episode. The final episode really got to the heart of the problem of offering stereotypical NPCs you can choose to kill.

Nice how each is structured to show how video games are moving forward, while highlighting problems in a way that I can probably see right away with some of the games I own.

Plus, the "Hayes code"? I knew there was an old school moral code in 30s and 40s Hollywood but didn't know the name.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
TIL that Scar and Ursula (I just watched TLM for the first time last week!) are queer coded. That's... what?

Update: I was not fully prepared.

Holy shit. The caricature character art. The lisp. Gary Fairy. And I didn't even remember about Shablee! What the fuck, Sierra?!

I don't even know why I'm surprised. Larry 5 had blackface in it.
I don't want this to come off as dismissive, because it isn't my intent, but the other side of this is that the series is not only a product of its time (for better or worse) but also something that is incredibly non-PC and actively anti-PC in some of its versions. It's almost literally a 70s/80s college frat house movie in game form, to the point that the first then-modern sequel made in 3D was actually his nephew in college. There's a certain point where the creators just DGAF and try to do offensive things to veer into absurdity, regardless of any perceived or actual harm done.

I can also take side with Tunahead about how I was definitely "too young" to play any LSL games at the time (6 was also my first foray!) and thought some characters were treated rather poorly.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first episode.

I know next to nothing about queer/trans anything, so it was good to have an introduction through film, and then games, and then have all the examples of characters.

Tons of food for thought, and I look forward to watching the other two when I have time.

I can't fathom to have an opinion about something I know so little about, so I'm just taking everything at face value and letting it all sink in. Hope to keep up with this thread after I've watched them.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
TIL that Scar and Ursula (I just watched TLM for the first time last week!) are queer coded. That's... what?

I don't want this to come off as dismissive, because it isn't my intent, but the other side of this is that the series is not only a product of its time (for better or worse) but also something that is incredibly non-PC and actively anti-PC in some of its versions. It's almost literally a 70s/80s college frat house movie in game form, to the point that the first then-modern sequel made in 3D was actually his nephew in college. There's a certain point where the creators just DGAF and try to do offensive things to veer into absurdity, regardless of any perceived or actual harm done.

I can also take side with Tunahead about how I was definitely "too young" to play any LSL games at the time (6 was also my first foray!) and thought some characters were treated rather poorly.

On the other hand, sometimes old media is gross entirely on its own terms.

The Larry series didn't start out from much of a high point, and it had certainly already entered a downward spiral as early as the second game, but the first game is at least pretty good about communicating that Larry is a sleazy, wretched man with pitiful goals, and the joke is very much on him. There is a kind of maturity to that, which is entirely absent six years later when the series enters its "let's have a good old laugh at this homosexual" phase.

Cultural wokeness, for lack of a better term, is not always a linear progression.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to watching these but probably won't be able to for a couple of days still. Glad to hear positive impressions so far!

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Great series! A looooooot of new info (for me at least), that was presented in a simple and clear way with the appropriate social/historical justifications also presented in proper context.

That said, in the last video I felt the GTAV examples were a bit... "generic". I mean, the point about transphobes being able to act on their own prejudices in specific NPC's can be made for other types of hates & phobias. Racists can specifically target Asian/Latino/Black NPC's or sexists can specifically target female NPC's. If someone hates animals they can also target quite a few animal NPC's present in the game.

It's a side effect of the type of game it is. A game where you can be as violent as you want in a virtual recreation of a modern (by the time of the game's release) city in the US. All these types of NPC's will by default have to be present if they want to recreate an actual city. Either you exclude certain groups from these sort of games or you fundamentally change the games themselves (ie, not allowing the player to kill NPC's for example). In the specific case of the franchise in question, neither seems very likely to happen tbh.

I do agree that the trans NPC's shown were waaaayyyy overboard and clearly falling into the generic and harmful idea of what a trans-person looks like though. So perhaps not using them as joke would be a good start at least.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad these got made, hopefully, this leads to at least some people thinking more critically about representation in games.

Also, it reminded me that Police Quest VI: Open Season is a thing and yikes! How did that even get made?

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched these and was very impressed by Carolyn Petit. These were not only informative, but incredibly nuanced imo. Haven't played BoTW but wow Nintendo should be ashamed. Didn't play GTA V but watching those depictions made me feel very uncomfortable as if they put them in the game for the sole purpose of harassing / robbing / beating to death (haven't played it so not sure how they tie in to the story but the over the top portrayal felt extremely problematic to me). Also wtf Sierra jeez I used to love those King's Quest games a kid

Not surprised that The Last of Us and especially Left Behind were the positive examples of representation that leapt out at me Naughty Dog is SOOO good at storytelling and creating nuanced / interesting characters and show a true willingness to embrace diversity without veering towards stereotypes. The scene from TLoU with Bill had me tearing up when playing and I remember feeling so sad for the character's situation but also so happy to see someone like me in an actual AAA videogame that wasn't a villain, just a joke, or a "romantic option" a la Mass Effect it was a very powerful moment. And Ellie and Riley's relationship in Left Behind was so beautifully well done. Other developers please take note this is the type of stuff we need more of

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Didn't play GTA V but watching those depictions made me feel very uncomfortable as if they put them in the game for the sole purpose of harassing / robbing / beating to death (haven't played it so not sure how they tie in to the story but the over the top portrayal felt extremely problematic to me).
Outside of the missions, no one is put there just as a target. Not by default, at least.

You as a player can kill everyone. Every NPC. No one is "safe", even your friends (though that one forces you to restart missions). The choice is always up to you though. I have a couple of friends who absolutely love driving around running around every NPC they see for example.

The real issue is how they've represented trans people in the game, not so much that you can kill them (again, you can kill every NPC). To say they're made to look as a joke is to put it very lightly indeed. Awful representation of them in the game.

As far as I recall there also isn't any story mission that directly relates to trans people, but it's been a while since I've played the campaign itself tbh. Like, 2015. My memory might be misleading me there.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Not surprised that The Last of Us and especially Left Behind were the positive examples of representation that leapt out at me Naughty Dog is SOOO good at storytelling and creating nuanced / interesting characters and show a true willingness to embrace diversity without veering towards stereotypes.

Ehhhhhhh...

I can only really speak for myself, but as a whole tlou gay rep kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

The fact Ellie is canonically and explicitly gay and the fact Bill subverts stereotypes are both positive things. But this game leans too much in "bury your gays" and all the problems that come with. The writing around Bill's story used "partner" in a very awkward way with it meaning coworker, escort, and boyfriend depending on the context iirc, but it's been too long since I played the game so I might be misremembering.

If queer people love tlou's gay rep power to them. But I do think tlou's gay rep isn't all sunshine and rainbows (pun absolutely intended) . It does a lot right, but I feel it could have done a lot more.

But, I might be in the minority here so... *shrugs*

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhhhhhh...

I can only really speak for myself, but as a whole tlou gay rep kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

The fact Ellie is canonically and explicitly gay and the fact Bill subverts stereotypes are both positive things. But this game leans too much in "bury your gays" and all the problems that come with. The writing around Bill's story used "partner" in a very awkward way with it meaning coworker, escort, and boyfriend depending on the context but it's been too long since I played the game.

If queet people love tlou's gay rep power to them. But I do think tlou's gay rep isn't all sunshine and rainbows (pun absolutely intended) . It does a lot right, but I feel it could have done a lot more.

But, I might be in the minority here so... *shrugs*
Nah, I get you, it's still pretty rare to see any queer representation that's both linked to the main character and stays alive until the end =/
Or won't get retconned.