• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for posting this. While I support Anita I don't always see eye to eye with her so I don't really follow FF but Carolyn is pretty awesome so I will want to watch this.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Drive-by Trolling; rhetoric associated with hate and harassment movement.
Anita coming out of the woodwork again? She hasn't been relevant in a minute, huh. I mean good for inclusivity but this is the person who made a career of criticizing games and then defends them when trump was saying they might be bad after that shooting happened. She needs to pick an opinion and stick with it, not flip flop at will when someone who she hates just happens to agree with her on something, thus creating an inconvenient situation for her. Consistency is more important than politics, but for anita it seems to be the other way around.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anita coming out of the woodwork again? She hasn't been relevant in a minute, huh. I mean good for inclusivity but this is the person who made a career of criticizing games and then defends them when trump was saying they might be bad after that shooting happened. She needs to pick an opinion and stick with it, not flip flop at will when someone who she hates just happens to agree with her on something, thus creating an inconvenient situation for her. Consistency is more important than politics, but for anita it seems to be the other way around.
Yeah who needs context and nuance right

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you think this is inconsistent is really sad.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

what're you talking about, dude

you realize you can simultaneously care about something and approach it from a critical angle, right? in fact, those two things typically go hand in hand

games are better because of Anita (developers have talked about how Tropes vs. Women in Video Games influenced them), so that kinda creates an inconvenient situation for someone like you who would like to see her as an enemy of the medium

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Considering some of the things that have happened in games and PR in the past year or so, this is a subject that can really benefit from a spotlight. Count me in for a watch.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Criticizing a medium doesn't mean you hate it. Do you think reviewers and critics hate movies, books or video games when they stress what ways their industries and the art form can improve?

She disagreed with Trump because "games make people kill" is something she has never supported. She has never supported a stance of games being evil. Not to mention Trump's stance was also just a strawman anyway used to divert attention away from an actual conversation about gun control which is disingenuous and deserves to be called out.

Also she has a popular podcast. Produced every week. I'm one of the listeners. She's not coming out of any woodwork and has done her work continuously.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

What the hell are you even talking about?

You know that you can criticism games because of their treatment of women and also don't think that games make people violent.

NightHawk

Dec 6, 2018
I think its a very immature take to believe that if you critisize something you must hate it. Art, IMO flourishes from criticism and helps improve it.

I watch the entirety of Anita's previous work and while I disagreed with certain things that she said, I do believe that as a whole gaming is in a better place because of the critical eye she brought to how women were/are portrayed in video games. I hope this new series can do the same for queer issues.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a recent tweet from Anita retweeting a tweet about the original Tetris western release having an instructional booklet that stated the blocks were gendered. It was found out that the instructional booklet was shopped and likely why Anita already deleted her tweet, but she used it as an example to back up a comment she made before that she could find sexism in any video game, including even Tetris. I don't see how even if the blocks were gendered in the original tetris (some male and some female) that this would be in any way sexist. There's literally nothing sexist about that. Real sexism exists in gendering non-living things like boats and cars where men refer to their "propriety" almost always as a woman.

Same thing happened a few years back during Fury Road when Feminist Frequency critiqued Mad Max: Fury Road, I'm paraphrasing what they said, but it was along the lines of even though Furiosa was in it (and a badass imo) she was participating in a cinematic orgy of male violence, which sounds oddly sexist.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
I didn't know how much I wanted this announcement! I love how they mentioned the *feeeeeeeelings* brought up by the previous series, the amount of pathetic internet sad boy piss this is going to boil will be immense

Oct 25, 2017
Not to harp on this already banned poster too much, but this opinion right here is a perfect summary of the core problem with gamer culture. Either you're with us or against us, BLAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111123254891

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I saw a recent tweet from Anita retweeting a tweet about the original Tetris western release having an instructional booklet that stated the blocks were gendered. It was found out that the instructional booklet was shopped and likely why Anita already deleted her tweet, but she used it as an example to back up a comment she made before that she could find sexism in any video game, including even Tetris. I don't see how even if the blocks were gendered in the original tetris (some male and some female) that this would be in any way sexist. There's literally nothing sexist about that. Real sexism exists in gendering non-living things like boats and cars where men refer to their "propriety" almost always as a woman.

Same thing happened a few years back during Fury Road when Feminist Frequency critiqued Mad Max: Fury Road, I'm paraphrasing what they said, but it was along the lines of even though Furiosa was in it (and a badass imo) she was participating in a cinematic orgy of male violence, which sounds oddly sexist.

Okie dokie. But this one looks like it's hosted by someone else and is about Queer Tropes. So...

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw a recent tweet from Anita retweeting a tweet about the original Tetris western release having an instructional booklet that stated the blocks were gendered. It was found out that the instructional booklet was shopped and likely why Anita already deleted her tweet, but she used it as an example to back up a comment she made before that she could find sexism in any video game, including even Tetris
You cant be serious, is this for real?

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Okie dokie. But this one looks like it's hosted by someone else and is about Queer Tropes. So...

True, I just saw Anita brought up in the thread and that this is her group so I thought it was enough on topic to bring up.
You cant be serious, is this for real?

D0R_ax1WsAANUi6.png

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Reminder that this thread is about a Queer Tropes video series made by Carolyn Petit. Anita's old deleted dumb tweets are irrelevant.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this will be really interesting, although I kinda feel like I know what they're gonna say, perhaps because I'm closer to this issue, whereas the videos focussing on women were eye opening in many ways (how did I not see the 'put a bow on it' gendering of agender characters before??).

I want them to do videos on class, race or disability, or maybe age as basically no-one talks about ageism, hopefully they can do those in the future.

Real sexism exists in gendering non-living things like boats and cars where men refer to their "propriety" almost always as a woman.

Who made you the authority on what is or isn't "real sexism" lmao

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yes. Looking forward to sitting down with these, and it's such a good set of topics with deep roots in the industry (and its own curves compared to the broader culture's developments).

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the Persona series is gonna be right in the crosshairs

I hope this series is good

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
On one hand, cool, I dig the concept. On the other hand, ugh, Carolyn Petit. Maybe she'll be better outside of critique of video games and their mechanics for review.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah who needs context and nuance right
"You criticize aspects of video games.

Therefore you hate them and ME because I have no identity besides playing video games."

is the logic behind that poster's post and many other large sections of the gaming community. Also the type of thinking that leads one to say something along the lines of "YOU dOn't EvEn pLAY ViDEo GAmeS." As someone once said, the biggest thing holding video games back are the people who play them, as they get offended at the very idea of critique.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Banned user and all that, but do people seriously think you can't like something and still criticise it? These videos aren't trying to get videogames banned...like, I love the Persona series but I would like it even more if I didn't have to put up with all the homophobia

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
oh wow, I'm so happy to see the positive responses to this. I've felt traumatized from other gaming communities who react extremely toxic whenever the name Feminist Frequency or Anita Sarkeesian shows up.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
What would be some examples of queer coded video game villains?
Marluxia from Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories. Kuja from FF9. Ghirahim from Skyward Sword.

Banned user and all that, but do people seriously think you can't like something and still criticise it? These videos aren't trying to get videogames banned...like, I love the Persona series but I would like it even more if I didn't have to put up with all the homophobia
People like that think the only legitimate form of criticism is """objective""" stuff like sound, gameplay, and graphics and to criticize themes or representation is "politicizing" a game or even more bullshit, condemning a game and it''s developers as "morally wrong".

Apr 16, 2018
No, it is not a only women rule. It is a "looks like a cis woman" rule. The game even jokes about this with the gorons that nobody can recognize if they are woman or men.
Which is why you can't even take a single piece of clothing inside the city or they will trow you away.

That doesn't make sense. If the rule was, "look like a cis woman" the gorons wouldnt be allowed in.

The rule is simply "no men." We can never have discussions about stuff like this if you guys make stuff up about it.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
For those interested in the subject of queerness and games, some academic books have recently been published last year and this year:

The in-depth, diverse, and accessible essays in Queer Game Studies use queerness to challenge the ideas that have dominated gaming discussions. This volume reveals the capacious albeit underappreciated communities that are making, playing, and studying queer games, demonstrating the centrality of LGBTQ issues to the gamer world and establishing an alternative lens for examining this increasingly important culture.

queer-game-studies-cover1.jpg

https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/queer-game-studies

While popular discussions about queerness in video games often focus on big-name, mainstream games that feature LGBTQ characters, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, Bonnie Ruberg pushes the concept of queerness in games beyond a matter of representation, exploring how video games can be played, interpreted, and designed queerly, whether or not they include overtly LGBTQ content. Video Games Have Always Been Queer argues that the medium of video games itself can—and should—be read queerly.

In the first book dedicated to bridging game studies and queer theory, Ruberg resists the common, reductive narrative that games are only now becoming more diverse. Revealing what reading D. A. Miller can bring to the popular 2007 video game Portal, or what Eve Sedgwick offers Pong, Ruberg models the ways game worlds offer players the opportunity to explore queer experience, affect, and desire. As players attempt to 'pass' in Octodad or explore the pleasure of failure in Burnout: Revenge, Ruberg asserts that, even within a dominant gaming culture that has proved to be openly hostile to those perceived as different, queer people have always belonged in video games—because video games have, in fact, always been queer.

DzTyUb1UcAABJvb.jpg

https://nyupress.org/books/9781479831036/

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
eh, not even FF agrees with this: https://feministfrequency.com/2018/06/14/gender-breakdown-of-games-featured-at-e3-2018/

Marginally better, maybe, and more openness towards change, perhaps, but there is still a long way to go and we're already going on seven years since Anita & Co. started
I'd say E3 is drastically more progressive than it was ten years or even 5 years ago. That article is a breakdown of the split between roles but doesn't address things like changes in character design trends for as an example.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
I'd say E3 is drastically more progressive than it was ten years or even 5 years ago. That article is a breakdown of the split between roles but doesn't address things like changes in character design trends for as an example.

From the article:

"With the exception of the particularly low point of 2016 in which only two games shown featured exclusively female protagonists (ReCore and Horizon Zero Dawn), the percentage of games shown at E3 that focus on women has hovered around the 7-9% range for the past few years, and this year shows no improvement, with 9 games, or roughly 8% of games shown, featuring female protagonists. (We counted games such as Gears of War 5 here, which may allow players to sometimes take the role of supporting male characters, so long as they clearly focus on a female character as the primary protagonist.) By contrast, just over three times as many featured games, 29 in all or roughly 24%, focus on male heroes or solely have male playable avatars or characters. "

We are now in 2019, 7 years after they started (along with all the other people the last 30 years who have been pushing for better women representation), so I would hardly say that "devs responded to the criticisms and changed for the better.". Perhaps this also has a lot to do with publishers as well, but in my experience, there do exist a bunch of sensitive reactionary men in the gaming industry who didn't respond very well to Feminist Frequency and basically had to be dragged (still do!) kicking and screaming to even acknowledge the importance of women representation in games.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Most examples I can think of are from Japanese games. Vamp from MGS:2?
Straight japanese culture has a really fucked up relationship to queerness (not that I think Vamp necessarily fits this). LGBT people may be openly acknowledged, but almost exclusively as comedic props or for the sexual pleasure of a straight audience.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Not to harp on this but... I don't understand what your point is TBH. That people can be wrong? That we can disagree with opinions? That others can critique her feminist perspective as well? I mean the whole show was originally one woman giving her (at the time, unique) perspective/opinion on gaming before some morons on 4chan decided to start a harassment campaign against her. She was never the "Speaker of the women" channers made her out to be.

Plus I'd be willing to listen and discuss the arguments she presents even if I agree/disagree.

But yeah Anita isn't the one doing this episode so...

Bookmarked. I'll be interested in watching.

Edit: Just scrolled down and saw the mod post. Dropping it is probably for the best. My bad.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That doesn't make sense. If the rule was, "look like a cis woman" the gorons wouldnt be allowed in.

The rule is simply "no men." We can never have discussions about stuff like this if you guys make stuff up about it.

They don't know how a cis goron woman look like.
If it was "no men" link could have just say she is a trans woman. Or any npc could have said that. I can understand link not saying that to give a reason for a sidequest for the city, but the npc that obviously has a beard stub should not have to hide it.

Trans woman are trans woman regardless of how manly they look.

Link should have not being kicked out if he takes any piece of women clothing in the city just because he can be read as a man.

Last edited: