• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thomasorus

Oct 26, 2017
I personally had to stop watching it when they introduced the little girl wearing whatever that outfit was supposed to be.

Yeah I was kinda surprised too by this but not very uncomfortable.

There's a moment before this scene where she says she was disgusted by her uncle making her wear little girl dresses as if she was a doll. So seeing her overdoing it once she's freed didn't shocked me that much, and because it's not exploited or questioned later in the series. Maybe I gave the series the benefit of the doubt because the framing and the overall tone never seems to be exploitative of its female characters (and let's be honest, because the bar is super low in anime). Even Akira who's a very effeminate boy is never mocked for being girly, just for being clumsy.

I would have been interested in knowing what people in this thread thought about the last part of the series with the all women village and Akira's past.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I finally finished the first season of KonoSuba that was stuck in my watching list for years and it was... pretty fucking awful regarding the subject matter? The fact that almost all the jokes are based around horniness was off-putting. I guess it's my fault for trying to get into it, but MAL, for example, has a PG13 rating and no ecchi tag, which is clearly misleading.

Are there even decent modern isekai series or the genre is just hopeless?

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I finally finished the first season of KonoSuba that was stuck in my watching list for years and it was... pretty fucking awful regarding the subject matter? The fact that almost all the jokes are based around horniness was off-putting. I guess it's my fault for trying to get into it, but MAL, for example, has a PG13 rating and no ecchi tag, which is clearly misleading.

Pretty much every modern isekai I avoid just from looking at the promo pic and call it a day. I do like the .hack series but even then the female armor designs are terrible. I mean, I joke about SAO but it's like the shining gem out of the ocean of light novels.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend Ascendance of a Bookworm. Protagonist dies (not by a truck, but because many books fell on top of her) and when she is reborn she learns books don't exist in this new world. Keeping all the knowledge from our world, she is going to do whatever it is necessary to create books. What keeps this apart from other isekais is that there isn't any demon lord or stuff like that to defeat.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the fan service, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole 30 year old in the body of a child aspect of them.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I would recommend Ascendance of a Bookworm. Protagonist dies (not by a truck, but because many books fell on top of her) and when she is reborn she learns books don't exist in this new world. Keeping all the knowledge from our world, she is going to do whatever it is necessary to create books. What keeps this apart from other isekais is that there isn't any demon lord or stuff like that to defeat.

I guess having a female protagonist is the way, I do enjoy shoujo/otome isekai like Bakarina which I forgot to mention although they are getting stale, at least in the manga department.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess having a female protagonist is the way, I do enjoy shoujo/otome isekai like Bakarina which I forgot to mention although they are getting stale, at least in the manga department.
not necessarly there's plenty of isekai shoujo with some awful male leads, there's also some with yuri bait and then just finish the story with the boring male lead, got pissed with 2 mangas regarding that.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
not necessarly there's plenty of isekai shoujo with some awful male leads, there's also some with yuri bait and then just finish the story with the boring male lead, got pissed with 2 mangas regarding that.

That's true, one of the recently released series has the herione being sold at an auction, but I tend to avoid/drop such works so I my general perception is still positive because you can find decent stuff, while all "general" isekai seems sexist in one way or another.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't exactly call Ascendance of a Bookworm a shoujo/otome. It would be a slice of life and fantasy, and even though it has some fantasy elements, it is fairly grounded. This is one of the reasons I love this series; the focus is Myne and how she is going to create books in this new world, not killing demon lords or have a harem.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Seconding Ascendance of a Bookworm and from this season I am enjoying The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which is very light harem and a good relaxing low-stakes isekai.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's true, one of the recently released series has the herione being sold at an auction, but I tend to avoid/drop such works so I my general perception is still positive because you can find decent stuff, while all "general" isekai seems sexist in one way or another.
last year i was reading a lot of the villainess subgenre of isekai because you can find some interesting shoujo out of the norm, but even then its like walking a mine field some times, its not unusual to get disapointed because the mc becomes a damsel in distress saved by the ML or she starts to love the husband that cheated or abused her, etc etc

but yeah the shounen genre of isekai is even worse to find good stuff, with stuff like sexual slavery is quite usual, when you find good stuff its like finding a diamond in the middle of shit

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Hakunon I just assume that you have watched Twelve Kingdoms.

Twelve Kingdoms predates the current isekai genre as it is codified today. It is not unfair to say that it is only technically an isekai, same way friggin' Narnia is an isekai, so I am not sure it fits, but on the the off-chance that you haven't seen it, I think most would recommend.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seconding Ascendance of a Bookworm and from this season I am enjoying The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which is very light harem and a good relaxing low-stakes isekai.
Is there any other anime this season or the previous winter season that's really good in its female representation or diversity in general? I was hearing good things about Wonder Egg Priority.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any other anime this season or the previous winter season that's really good in its female representation or diversity in general? I was hearing good things about Wonder Egg Priority.
not anime but manga that you might enjoy is
"i favor the villainess"
its a yuri shoujo, in the middle of a republican revolution, that handles diversity quite well

edit:
not diversity but you might enjoy
"Reiko's Manners – She's Referred To As A Villainess, But Actually She's Just Penniless"
talks quite a lot about anticapitalism and leftist references (at least in the novel), i dropped because the main plot and ML was a little dull

Last edited:

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Super Cub is my favorite, it's a show about a girl who is depressed but slowly comes out of her shell after buying a motorcycle. She goes on journeys and gets a girlfriend and it's very nice. It's also one of the best productions of the year with just stellar shot composition and animation. Second only to Yuru Camp S2 this year in that regard, another amazing slice of life about camping.

Uma Musume S2 was super good sports drama that tackles a lot of serious topics I've never seen an anime do so well. If you can get past the strange premise it's actually a very sincere show about women athletes.

Otherside Picnic is a bit of a messy production but you should check it out if you like slightly horror-ish sci-fi. It's a good introduction to the source material at least.

Wonder Egg Priority is something to check out too but I'm a little unsure on it. It was kind of starting to unravel later on with a lot of ideas but nothing to really say about them and the plot was not giving me a lot of faith. But it's an interesting show, for sure.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Wonder Egg Priority is something to check out too but I'm a little unsure on it. It was kind of starting to unravel later on with a lot of ideas but nothing to really say about them and the plot was not giving me a lot of faith. But it's an interesting show, for sure.
Also about Wonder Egg Priority, because of production issues they had to make a recap episode that left it without space for the last episode that from the looks of it will be broadcasted on 6/29

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Super Cub is my favorite, it's a show about a girl who is depressed but slowly comes out of her shell after buying a motorcycle. She goes on journeys and gets a girlfriend and it's very nice. It's also one of the best productions of the year with just stellar shot composition and animation. Second only to Yuru Camp S2 this year in that regard, another amazing slice of life about camping.

Uma Musume S2 was super good sports drama that tackles a lot of serious topics I've never seen an anime do so well. If you can get past the strange premise it's actually a very sincere show about women athletes.

Otherside Picnic is a bit of a messy production but you should check it out if you like slightly horror-ish sci-fi. It's a good introduction to the source material at least.

Thanks, I'll check out Super Cub and Otherside Picnic. The former looks very charming and chill.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm liking Yurucamp but man are there's a LOT of onsen scenes, at least in the first season. I think I'll watch Super Cub after I'm done with season 2.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Not the hardest bar to clear or revolutionary or anything, but I can appreciate Toei trying to walk back on some of those sexist tropes in the Dai remake (though I'm surprised they keep the old man pervert character thankfully he's not a regular like Mineta in MHA)

Though sometimes it feels like watching an awkward edit of a 4Kids dub.

Also they gave Maam leggings

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
I know that there's probably a very similar post somewhere in this thread already but I need a quick rant about Violet Evergarden:

I started this show knowing nothing about it, I just saw some art and thought that it looks gorgeous. I haven't watched anime in a while but it's fairly new, it was made for Netflix - international audience! - so how bad can it be? And it really is so pretty, it's easily the best thing about it. The music is also good, it works with the visuals very well.

Regarding women, it's good that they are a focus in this show. There's one character that, let's say... dresses for a different job than she has and there's no way that kind of attire would work in any other professional environment.

But it was fairly OK, until episode 5. That's when we learn that
the main character is 14 years old when there's NO reason for her to be that young, and that the princess was 10 when all the kingdom's rich pedos went to the castle party to check her out as their potential wife

Disgusting. And it started so well :(

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know that there's probably a very similar post somewhere in this thread already but I need a quick rant about Violet Evergarden:

I started this show knowing nothing about it, I just saw some art and thought that it looks gorgeous. I haven't watched anime in a while but it's fairly new, it was made for Netflix - international audience! - so how bad can it be? And it really is so pretty, it's easily the best thing about it. The music is also good, it works with the visuals very well.

Regarding women, it's good that they are a focus in this show. There's one character that, let's say... dresses for a different job than she has and there's no way that kind of attire would work in any other professional environment.

the main character is 14 years old when there's NO reason for her to be that young, and that the princess was 10 when all the kingdom's rich pedos went to the castle party to check her out as their potential wife

Wow, I've heard no one else bring up the ages when they're discussing this show. That's gross.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I've only read until the sixth volume (all that's been localized into English so far), but Are You Lost? surprisingly so far is a primarily female character centric survival story that doesn't pull out the usual tropes you see in a lot of other survival stories. (Note I have no idea how the anime is, as I've haven't watched it, so this is just regarding the manga.)

Usual sexist tropes like the moments when the characters were in their underwear didn't feel sexualized since it was done for a purpose (i.e. diving & fishing), and having the main group be women only gets rid of the usual "male MC builds a harem" crap a lot of survival manga has. There is a another group introduced early on that consists of a male & female student team, but the male character isn't very bright in deducing the female character's gender for one thing, and their part in the story is kept to a minimum so there's not really any time for "lucky pervert" type situations to form.

The survival tips are also woven pretty well into the narrative, and are usually explained well enough that they're learnable.

Not sure if things might change in future volumes, but so far it's a nice breath of fresh air from the dreck found in the rest of the genre.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

Yeah Violet's age is p young but that's p much the one episode that's weird in the entire series ignoring the entire setting and all.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out about a manga called Batuque. I haven't read Teppu but it seems like the premise is somewhat similar -- grounded martial arts series with a female main character. In this case it's about Capoeria.

I don't think I've spotted a single girl in this manga yet who doesn't have a six-pack. I took a look at the lastest chapter where they publish the official Japanese digital release and...

The main character now has a straight-up TLOUII Abby physique.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here checked out Way of the House Husband? An acquaintance mentioned it to me and the summary didn't sound too bad. It sounded like it could be kind of refreshing. No fanservice of minors, the wife seems to be the provider for the family. The concept that the husband wants to be the domestic supporter actually sounded kind of sweet. I'm just wondering if it lives up to the premise. I don't really have the energy to invest in a series just to find out it gets gross after episode four or something.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here checked out Way of the House Husband? An acquaintance mentioned it to me and the summary didn't sound too bad. It sounded like it could be kind of refreshing. No fanservice of minors, the wife seems to be the provider for the family. The concept that the husband wants to be the domestic supporter actually sounded kind of sweet. I'm just wondering if it lives up to the premise. I don't really have the energy to invest in a series just to find out it gets gross after episode four or something.

I've only seen pages from the manga but it's pretty funny.

Don't watch the "anime", it's really just a bad motion comic.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I've read the first few volumes for the manga and it definitely lives up to the premise. Very very funny. And nothing off-putting. (the wife is mostly off-screen for the bits I read.)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

I read a decent chunk of it, and also don't remember anything questionably about it. The wife isn't a super major character, but she's great whenever she show up, and her relationship with her husband is honestly incredibly refreshing and sweet without feeling like pandering.

As has already been said though, the manga is definitely the way to go. I don't think the anime is as horrible as most people do, but it's clearly inferior to the print version.

There's not really any story though, as it's purely focused on the comedy. It's also the kind of series that you can tell if you'll like it in like the first chapter, since the humour remains consistent throughout.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen pages from the manga but it's pretty funny.

Don't watch the "anime", it's really just a bad motion comic.
I've read the first few volumes for the manga and it definitely lives up to the premise. Very very funny. And nothing off-putting. (the wife is mostly off-screen for the bits I read.)
I read a decent chunk of it, and also don't remember anything questionably about it. The wife isn't a super major character, but she's great whenever she show up, and her relationship with her husband is honestly incredibly refreshing and sweet without feeling like pandering.

As has already been said though, the manga is definitely the way to go. I don't think the anime is as horrible as most people do, but it's clearly inferior to the print version.

There's not really any story though, as it's purely focused on the comedy. It's also the kind of series that you can tell if you'll like it in like the first chapter, since the humour remains consistent throughout.

Thanks for the impressions. I'll definitely try to check out the manga. A fun comedy series that doesn't rely on fanservice as a punchline sounds like a good summer read. Shame the anime seems to have quality issues.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Even without the fan service, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole 30 year old in the body of a child aspect of them.
22 year old but, you know. Anyway, I guess they use it in a kinda interesting manner. Like as a child she's extremely sickly, to the point of being on the verge of death many times. It sort of encourages her to rely on her new family and causes her to reflect on how she behaved with her real mother.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Here are the anime that I am looking forward to in summer:

This manga is awesome and I love how it depicts the lives of performers, it's really good.

More Love Live! I hope it will be as good as the last series.

I really hope Aquatope is good please don't let me down PA Works.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I need to keep watching more of Eizouken, it's so good!
KnobbyGlitteringGhostshrimp-max-1mb.gif

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I watched 2 ep of Shiguang Dailiren a donghua and wow it's the strangest experience I've had with the extreme tonal whiplash and I still don't know how I feel from what I thought was a SoL with time travel elements is actually bizarre in how it treats women.

EP 1
I mean, did we need to fridge the 2nd female character because she wanted to see her parents after suffering from a toxic workplace and abusive boss? I mean, what I'm still baffled on who accepted this as a storyline and we find out well, she would've died anyways due to plot reasons. I get that it's to show how the male MC changed one part and it had consequences but that's just completely brutal ending.

EP 2
This is the complete opposite where two women founded a noodle shop and they grow apart after the business is successful but return to their roots after an argument. I feel like this is awk considering that there are no in-between moments where women are either successful due to their own efforts or in a bad situation and nothing can change.

I did like the OP/ED though.

I'm watching that too and yeah, the stories are all so weird. And it's only going to go deeper the further you come. Honestly I would be more interested in the relationship of the two mains, how they met, how they found out about their powers and started with the whole business thing, etc. But I don't see them every going there sadly.

I also have to confess, that I'm still watching Fairy Ranmaru, and I'm still baffeled every time by all the crotch and ass shots and whatnot. This is really an ecchi gender swap full stop. lmao

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I thought it would be the main focus but I just... find the entire time traveling business to be extremely dull.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Apologies if this isn't allowed, but I thought some folks might be interested?

I'm a part of a panel group that gives SJW-y panels at anime cons, mostly in ND, MN, and MB (Canada). My group-mate/partner is going to be running a panel about LGBTQIA+ anime at Anime Lockdown at 4:00 CDT. It's an updated version of a panel she's done in the past, and it's quite good, and I figure y'all posting in this thread might appreciate it? So I thought I would share. I hope this isn't a problem! :)

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if this isn't allowed, but I thought some folks might be interested?

I'm a part of a panel group that gives SJW-y panels at anime cons, mostly in ND, MN, and MB (Canada). My group-mate/partner is going to be running a panel about LGBTQIA+ anime at Anime Lockdown at 4:00 CDT. It's an updated version of a panel she's done in the past, and it's quite good, and I figure y'all posting in this thread might appreciate it? So I thought I would share. I hope this isn't a problem! :)
I for one appreciate the heads-up! Gave this a watch. The audio quality was supremely regrettable -- it took a lot of attentive effort to hear what was being said, and I still missed a lot just due to choppiness. (I feel like there's some mild irony in an anime presentation lacking any onscreen text to read along. Bullet points would have been a big improvement.)

For those who didn't catch it live and might want to watch the archive (I assume there'll be a Twitch VOD? hopefully), a summary:
The full title of the panel was "Can't Even Think Straight: Representing and Misrepresenting LGBTQIA+ Characters in Anime and Manga (2021 Extra Gay Edition)". The presentation was part recommendation list, part critical rundown of a decent handful of shows/manga with queer characters or themes. For the most part, it seemed to be oriented toward people with little experience or knowledge of queer anime/manga, or sometimes queerness in general (in that much of what was said was definitional -- though honestly, maybe that's the right level to target to reach the common anime fan).

The parts that aren't just recommendations or summaries use the shows/manga listed as stepping-off points to discuss real-world parts of queer issues / queer experiences. These parts were where the bulk of the content was, with a lot of time dedicated to highlighting particular points that come up very rarely in anime/manga, with some positive examples and some negative. Though there's some overlap with the educational sidebars here, the author does a good job of grounding the conversation with specific scenes when they're talking about things like how it's not every queer person's job to be your personal tutor in how not to be a bigot, or how it's not "lying" or "deceptive" to not immediately announce your queerness at volume 11 to every cishet person you meet.

Overall, while it was, uh, definitely an anime con panel (ie, expect some humour that won't land), I do think it's worth a look if the above sounds interesting. I regret that I didn't think to take notes on which shows were mentioned while I watched; there were a lot of the super-well-known ones (Yuri on Ice, Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Card Captor Sakura), but also a lot of the slightly-less-known ones (Bloom Into You, Wandering Son, Tokyo Godfathers, Land of the Lustrous) and a few more obscure than that (Our Dreams at Dusk, ...all the ones I'm forgetting). I feel like I've certainly read/watched my fair share of queer manga/anime, and even still a few of the titles were new to me, so even if you're only watching for recommendations you'll probably find some value to be had.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I for one appreciate the heads-up!
I am really glad you were able to watch, and appreciate the detailed feedback. This was the first time we have ever done a panel online like this, so it's good to get ideas of what worked and what didn't, etc. for any chances we get to do this in the future. And yeah, this is definitely a panel that's meant to get the broadest audience possible and hopefully help younger con folks out?

I asked her for a list of the series she provided analysis for so you could check out anything you didn't get a chance to note down:

Bloom Into You
Yuri on Ice
Land of the Lustrous
Astra: Lost in Space
Doukyuusei
Tokyo Godfathers
Wandering Son
Sailor Moon
Our Dreams at Dusk
Evangelion
Zombieland Saga
My Hero Academia

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I asked her for a list of the series she provided analysis for so you could check out anything you didn't get a chance to note down:

Astra: Lost in Space
Doukyuusei
Thanks! These two were the ones that were new to me. I'm definitely curious to check out Astra eventually and see how the intersex character is handled.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Nothing new, but the sexualization of high schoolers by Horikoshi will always be unnerving. I guess that old sketches comment still holds true.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't really participated in this thread but felt the need to solely for the purpose of calling out the recent Kaguya-Sama: Love is War OVA.

I mean the show is already deeply set in the stereotypical male/female binary comedy but I didn't expect them to objectify and sexualize their (high-school age!) female characters in such a blatant and unrepentant manner. It's really soured me on the show looking back and going forward since all I can think of it now is as some teenager's masturbatory fantasy (which ironically is how they chose to frame the OVA).

Jul 19, 2020
The Kaguya-sama OVA disappointed me a ton too. They massively played up the fanservice for it compared to not only the anime itself but also the manga chapters they were adapting, and the lack of that sort of stuff throughout 99% of the series (there's maybe one or two scene with Fujiwara that feel they lean into it a bit imo) was a big part of why I enjoy it so much compared to most other manga/anime romcoms.