• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I need to catch up on Kingdom but umm isn't there one woman general
who fondles her breast in arousal during one arc?
I do agree it's a good fun series though.

Haha well it's more of a quirk and yes, you can call it a misstep maybe but even then she is acknowledged as one of the strongest generals in the series and in the end even became the prime minister of a superpower country.

Even if you count her as a no-no, many other female characters in the series are overwhelmingly depicted with very, very favorable terms, like Kyou Kai or the leader of the mountain tribes (she is especially a really awesome character), the girl strategist, etc etc. Heck even the main character cannot compare to them really.

Read the manga people, it's really awesome.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Coolios mate~

It's been a long time since I read it but yeah, lots of female characters get good moments throughout.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Any specific recommendations for a teenage girl just getting into anime sans moe, slice of life, and anything too intense or with horror elements?

Kaguya: Love is War is always a good recommendation. It's a romcom that goes above the usual stereotypes and avoids the dreaded harem scenario. There's also no fanservice (outside of some scenes in the anime) as the author wants to make a Manga that even grade schoolers can read.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Any specific recommendations for a teenage girl just getting into anime sans moe, slice of life, and anything too intense or with horror elements?

If you're looking for stuff specifically with female main characters, and assuming a younger teenager, I'd say:
Chihayafuru - Sports anime about competitive Snap but with poetry (although it pretends to be a romance anime sometimes)
A Place Further Than The Universe - Girls go to Anarctica
Kamichu - Girl inherits the powers of a local god
Little Witch Academia - The Worst Witch but anime
Utena (Maybe not for a 6th grader now that you've said that)

Otherwise
Mushishi - Man investigates various supernatural microorganisms
Space Brothers (Brothers who try to become astronauts. Space Brothers also has several prominent female characters who are mostly astronauts and/or accomplished scientists.
Fruits Basket - Very sad drama/romance involving people who turn into animals. There's the old version which has weird art and had to make up an ending and the new version which seems generally better so far but is still ongoing. This one is pretty emotionally intense, though.
Full Metal Alchemist - Action, can be quite violent but is certainly well regarded. I think this one might depend on relative maturity also.

Edit: Added some brief descriptions.

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

It would probably help if we had a bit more info, but I'm guessing given you're posting in this thread that you're not interested in anything with heavy fanservice and into shows with good female characters? And also appropriate for younger viewers (although teenage is a pretty broad age range)?

In that case, my general starter anime recommendations would be:

With female characters in leading roles
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Great romantic comedy, with some light fanservice scenes that were added in the anime adaptation, but nothing too terrible.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - Another great romantic comedy that's pretty universally praised. Although this one feels like it benefits from having a knowledge of some anime tropes for certain jokes.

Little Witch Academia - A pretty generic choice honestly, but fits very well with what you're looking for.

Shirobako - A show about the process of making anime, featuring cameo appearances from a large number of actual industry professionals. Both educational and also really well made. But it's also slice of life, so maybe not? And given that it deals with adults in the workplace, it's aimed at an older audience. So I don't know how much younger viewers will like it. I guess it would depend heavily on their specific age.

A Place Further Than the Universe - A really good drama about a group of girls making a trip to Antarctica. But it might be too moe or slice-of-life for you, depending on what those word even means to you.

Sound Euphonium - Girls playing instruments in a music band, with really beautiful visuals. Although from a feminist point of view it comes across as pretty problematic to me, and the second season of it really sucks.

K-On - You said no moe and slice of life, but I'm not 100% sure why given that shows like K-On are literally made exactly for teenage girls. Anyway, it's a good show that gets a ton of hate from people who've never even seen it just because of its artstyle. I actually avoided watching it for a long time because of its reputation, but ended up really liking it.

Without female characters in leading roles
Hikaru's Go - I think this is pretty much the best generic shounen anime out there. And unlike most of them, it's about a kid playing a board game, so there's no violence involved.

The Eccentric Family - The closest an anime has ever come to making me feel like I'm reading a good YA book. With really nice visuals, and a relaxing urban fantasy story about a family of shape-shifting raccoons living in modern day Kyoto.

Haikyuu - Pretty much the best standard sports show you can get. Although maybe it's too intense? There's no violence or anything like that since it's just sports, but there's definitely a large level of intensity to it.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It would probably help if we had a bit more info, but I'm guessing given you're posting in this thread that you're not interested in anything with heavy fanservice and into shows with good female characters? And also appropriate for younger viewers (although teenage is a pretty broad age range)?

In that case, my general starter anime recommendations would be:

With female characters in leading roles
Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Great romantic comedy, with some light fanservice scenes that were added in the anime adaptation, but nothing too terrible.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - Another great romantic comedy that's pretty universally praised. Although this one feels like it benefits from having a knowledge of some anime tropes for certain jokes.

Little Witch Academia - A pretty generic choice honestly, but fits very well with what you're looking for.

Shirobako - A show about the process of making anime, featuring cameo appearances from a large number of actual industry professionals. Both educational and also really well made. But it's also slice of life, so maybe not? And given that it deals with adults in the workplace, it's aimed at an older audience. So I don't know how much younger viewers will like it. I guess it would depend heavily on their specific age.

A Place Further Than the Universe - A really good drama about a group of girls making a trip to Antarctica. But it might be too moe or slice-of-life for you, depending on what those word even means to you.

Sound Euphonium - Girls playing instruments in a music band, with really beautiful visuals. Although from a feminist point of view it comes across as pretty problematic to me, and the second season of it really sucks.

K-On - You said no moe and slice of life, but I'm not 100% sure why given that shows like K-On are literally made exactly for teenage girls. Anyway, it's a good show that gets a ton of hate from people who've never even seen it just because of its artstyle. I actually avoided watching it for a long time because of its reputation, but ended up really liking it.

Without female characters in leading roles
Hikaru's Go - I think this is pretty much the best generic shounen anime out there. And unlike most of them, it's about a kid playing a board game, so there's no violence involved.

The Eccentric Family - The closest an anime has ever come to making me feel like I'm reading a good YA book. With really nice visuals, and a relaxing urban fantasy story about a family of shape-shifting raccoons living in modern day Kyoto.

Haikyuu - Pretty much the best standard sports show you can get. Although maybe it's too intense? There's no violence or anything like that since it's just sports, but there's definitely a large level of intensity to it.

My friends daughter is in 6th grade. She can have some anxiety problems so nothing too intense. I don't have a good enough knowledge of anime to know what to recommend to her, but yeah no fan service lol.

I can't give more specific insight because I think she's just wanting to watch some anime and hasn't seen very much. I have watched a couple Ghibli movies with them though.

Maybe slice of life is okay. I just know she has specifically mentioned My Hero Academia so I kind of figured a more basic (though I think it's really good) anime might be more interesting for her, but if you think stuff like K-On is something worth recommending then I'm all ears. Personally I think MHA will definitely get too intense for her but who knows, maybe the format will allow her to overcome some of her anxiety?

What age is adequate to watch Clover stuff and have your heart ripped out?

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe slice of life is okay. I just know she has specifically mentioned My Hero Academia so I kind of figured a more basic (though I think it's really good) anime might be more interesting for her, but if you think stuff like K-On is something worth recommending then I'm all ears. Personally I think MHA will definitely get too intense for her but who knows, maybe the format will allow her to overcome some of her anxiety?

If she already likes MHA, then Haikyuu seems like the best recommendations of the ones above. Since it's pretty similar in a lot of ways, just without the violence. And Fullmetal Alchemist mentioned above would also be good IMO, as long as she can handle MHA.

But then again I'm not really a huge fan of shows like MHA (and most of my recommendations are basically nothing like it), so I can't help too much there.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
My friends daughter is in 6th grade. She can have some anxiety problems so nothing too intense. I don't have a good enough knowledge of anime to know what to recommend to her, but yeah no fan service lol.

I can't give more specific insight because I think she's just wanting to watch some anime and hasn't seen very much.

Honestly, if she has anxiety, Slice of Life stuff is the way to go.
I might then recommend as super chill and relaxing watches:
Aria - Apprentice Gondola Drivers on Mars
Laid Back Camp - A School Camping Club
Amanchu - A School Diving Club
Hidamari Sketch - A boarding house attached to an Art School
Non Non Biyori - Rural life (The kids in this one are all roughly around 6th grade as well)

And if you can get it, Card Captor Sakura is still a top tier magical girl show.

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

I can't give more specific insight because I think she's just wanting to watch some anime and hasn't seen very much. I have watched a couple Ghibli movies with them though.
xxxHolic
Paradise Kiss
Aria
Nana
Yuru Camp
Witch Hunter Robin
Chihayafuru

For more heavy stuff:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Serial Experiments Lain
Ergo Proxy
Angel's Egg

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
xxxHolic
Paradise Kiss
Aria
Nana
Yuru Camp
Witch Hunter Robin

For more heavy stuff:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Serial Experiments Lain
Ergo Proxy
Angel's Egg

Lain for 6th grader? I didn't understand anything when I was at that age watching it and it also creeped me out and made me feel...disattached?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Lain for 6th grader? I didn't understand anything when I was at that age watching it and it also creeped me out and made me feel...disattached?
I watched it around that age - I think it's great social commentary re: the internet. That said, I'm not much of one to baby kids and young adults.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Ah yeees this thread! I meant to come back to this to write my big gush about how I think Kill La Kill is a feminist masterpiece.
Maybe I will... someday... maybe I w-OOPS DROPPED MY NOTES ALL OVER YOUR SCREEN WASUP

So first of all, I didn't much like Gurren Lagann. Often recommended in the same circles due to having the same director(??) I might not have the fairest perspective of GL because I watched it shortly after playing Xenoblade Chronicles and honestly the cast setup is WEIRDLY similar, except the XBC versions I liked better... But the other reason it never sat right with me was just like a weird amount of sexist undercurrents through the whole thing. The characters who you're supposed to like would talk openly about how women didn't understand MANLY PRIDE AND AMBITION, even though they let female characters look cool and do battle there was an awful lot of gratuitous breast jiggle slipped in, the most prominent main character was a bikini clad 14 year old and then for the second half of the series nearly all the female characters just retire to become wives, moms, teachers and admin assistants. Plus the whole drill thing was QUITE THE masculine sexual metaphor. Which is fine, but it'd come across a lot better where there were maybe some examples of the female characters not being utterly marginalised or sacrificed. I also thought a lot of the gang characters were tedious and one-note.

So yeah anyway I came into Kill La Kill with pretty low expectations, since it looked like something similar except this time it was about schoolgirls wearing ludicrously revealing outfits. But it seemed even more absurd in general and lesbians seemed to love it so somehow I ended up giving it a chance, IDK.
And whew, it was obviously even more overtly sexualising than GL and there's a lot to frown at, like a LOT of harassment of teen girls thats played for laughs, excused as "natural" male behaviour, necessary for plot or comically endearing. If that puts you off then.. fair. It's kinda hard to watch without feeling self conscious about looking like a pedo but eh i didn't make that bed so not my problem personally. I definitely still criticise the show for trying to have its cheesecake and eat it too, but, well, that sums that point up already.
But I quickly noticed that in spite of that, it was significantly less sexIST than GL. The main protagonist and antagonists are female, and really give off more of a female power fantasy vibe, they're all ferocious and defiant. You see daily life from their perspectives. And slowly you start to see the message of edgy fanservice and comedic humiliation take a turn into a more subversive message...

So the name of the show and the scissor-blade weapon are big clues to the real theme of the show, fashion as a metaphor for patriarchal control!
Ryuko's shame from being exposed gets compared to the aspiration of being like her rival Satsuki Kiryuin, who "wears her armour better" by being shameless and as a result is considered less obscene and becomes a better fighter. However the big weakness and flaw is that her outfit also represents "purity" (as seen in the weird sexist allure of the white wedding dress) and ultimately such a protection from the humility of male gaze comes with a cruel promise to give up your body and agency to the fashion-patriarchy. (Which happens to be evil man-eating aliens but the metaphor still works).

Ultimately both Ryuko and Satsuki must throw away their differences, their shame, their sense of obligation to parents and the system they grew up in, and their concern for comfortable individuality and become their sincerest selves in order to overthrow the delightfully nasty villainess.

Meanwhile there's a rebel faction of anti-fashion nudists, who happen to be mostly represented by men (though theres women there too) which means by the halfway point of the series all the skeezy teen girl panty shots have been replaced by just fully naked dudes. And as the resistance effort grows and recruits all the protagonists, by the end everyones naked and its not sexy or funny anymore it's just there.

So yeah it was a really pleasant surprise and it's a hard sell but cool anime dogg. Hope that ramble made sense. Feel free to DEBATE MY INTERPRETATIONS because it's been ages since I watched the show and I forget.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was redirected to this thread after accidentally thinking the Female character design thread on the gaming side was the best place to ask so I am just gonna copy and paste my question from that thread.

Am I crazy for thinking someone using "historical accuracy" as a defense for this character design is absolutely ridiculous? Because it comes off as completely absurd to me that someone would try and do that, but that's what just happened in the One Piece thread on the Etc side and I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Here is an example (probably NSFW)

Here is the post in question with the defense of the character design.

So am I wrong for thinking that is an absurd defense for such an obviously sexualized design?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
How can someone seriously recommend to skip Stand Alone Complex? especially season 2 (Imo it's even better than the first movie)
It like that stand Alone Complex dives into different areas than the movie, like governments/societies and their relationship to technology, how people consume media and how corporations and governments twist it for their own benefits and the general techno political themes it explores

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
"Historical accuracy" is the worst excuse for anything in fiction. For one, history as a subject can be pretty inaccurate as it relies a lot on subjective accounts and second hand retellings, especially as we reach further into the past. Secondly, it's fucking fiction. There's no reason to stick with historical ideas that don't align with modern day sensibilities unless you want to make a comment on it. And it definitely doesn't make sense for stories that do not even take place on Earth.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So am I wrong for thinking that is an absurd defense for such an obviously sexualized design?

no, and I mean, you know you're not wrong, there is literally no defense to One Piece's fan service.

That thread's existence is weird because I've never met anyone that is a One Piece fan AND defends the stupid fan service, people usually love it IN SPITE of it. I didnt even post in the thread (nor did most of the people from the OP community I think) because its pointless, theres no discussion to be had, unless to say "yup that's One Piece alright", much like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for example, you have to wade through that shit to enjoy the good parts, but if you cant, that's completely understandable.

But then you will never watch any shonen, which again... would be understandable lol.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
no, and I mean, you know you're not wrong, there is literally no defense to One Piece's fan service.

That thread's existence is weird because I've never met anyone that is a One Piece fan AND defends the stupid fan service, people usually love it IN SPITE of it. I didnt even post in the thread (nor did most of the people from the OP community I think) because its pointless, theres no discussion to be had, unless to say "yup that's One Piece alright", much like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for example, you have to wade through that shit to enjoy the good parts, but if you cant, that's completely understandable.

But then you will never watch any shonen, which again... would be understandable lol.
Well glad to know I'm not crazy lol

And yeah I know it gets really bad depending on the series. Pretty much the only anime I follow anymore is My Hero and it's not THAT bad. Though it does have its own issues. *cough* Midnight *cough*

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, if she has anxiety, Slice of Life stuff is the way to go.
I might then recommend as super chill and relaxing watches:
Aria - Apprentice Gondola Drivers on Mars
Laid Back Camp - A School Camping Club
Amanchu - A School Diving Club
Hidamari Sketch - A boarding house attached to an Art School
Non Non Biyori - Rural life (The kids in this one are all roughly around 6th grade as well)

And if you can get it, Card Captor Sakura is still a top tier magical girl show.

I'll also add

azumanga diaoh : fantastic comedic slice of life show.

Kamichi: story about a girl who becomes a goddess. Only cringe episode is the Martian one.

Ah! My goddess: Alice of life about some Norse inspired goddesses who live with a guy in Japan. Absolute classic.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Well glad to know I'm not crazy lol

And yeah I know it gets really bad depending on the series. Pretty much the only anime I follow anymore is My Hero and it's not THAT bad. Though it does have its own issues. *cough* Midnight *cough*
MHA also has some uncomfortable double standard stuff, like how in-universe, Midnight was forced to alter her costume to be less provocative, but when Mineta screams on camera that all he wants to do is fondle girls, everyone's all "gotta admire his determination" and shit.

Also, literally everything about Mineta.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
MHA also has some uncomfortable double standard stuff, like how in-universe, Midnight was forced to alter her costume to be less provocative, but when Mineta screams on camera that all he wants to do is fondle girls, everyone's all "gotta admire his determination" and shit.

Also, literally everything about Mineta.
Wait who said you gotta admire Mineta? Dude is treated like a scumbag outcast by the majority of the class. (Because he is one) So much so that he is literally locked away at times.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Princess Tutu for the first time recently. Despite the somewhat unfortunate name it's been great so far. It's obviously a show aimed at young girls but it has a lot of positive aspects anyone could appreciate. Very nuanced characters and half of them, including the main character, are girls. Some nice reversal of some traditionally gendered roles (a prince in distress, and he doesn't stay static in that role either as the story progresses). It starts out a some-what strange, ballet-themed magical girl show but even at the start the dreamy, story-book presentation sets it apart, and within a half dozen episodes that traditional format is well into breaking down to something less predictable and more interesting. Also tons of great classical music from ballet and elsewhere.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've been watching Princess Tutu for the first time recently. Despite the somewhat unfortunate name it's been great so far. It's obviously a show aimed at young girls but it has a lot of positive aspects anyone could appreciate. Very nuanced characters and half of them, including the main character, are girls. Some nice reversal of some traditionally gendered roles (a prince in distress, and he doesn't stay static in that role either as the story progresses). It starts out a some-what strange, ballet-themed magical girl show but even at the start the dreamy, story-book presentation sets it apart, and within a half dozen episodes that traditional format is well into breaking down to something less predictable and more interesting. Also tons of great classical music from ballet and elsewhere.
Ah princess tutu
1196486200150.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He seems to be buddies with Kaminari.
And Kaminari is a drooling woman chaser just like Mineta. So them being friends on some kind of level doesn't surprise me.

Though I will say Kaminari is very different when it comes to Jirou. She seems to be the only female character that he genuinely cares for on some level so he seems to act differently around her. Whereas Mineta is a reprehensible little shit at all times regardless of who is involved.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I rephrased it because that's not really the best way to put it, but yeah, it's clear Horikoshi created him because he would be that guy in the MHA universe.
Ah i see. Luckily I rarely pay attention to authors and directors. That way I can just enjoy the art without having to worry aboit the artist behind them. It's the only way I can even enjoy the Harry Potter series anymore thanks to JK Rowling being.....herself.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Haha well it's more of a quirk and yes, you can call it a misstep maybe but even then she is acknowledged as one of the strongest generals in the series and in the end even became the prime minister of a superpower country.

She also had a great moment in the last few chapters especially when you consider that she's the strongest of them all. But what surprised me the most is this:

This exchange was wholesome and positive as it had no, "NO! I'm the man I'll protect you" kind of BS. Kyou Kai has already been established as one of the stronger (even stronger than shin, but he is ofc the main protagonist). For a shounen manga this was quite suprising.

I'd like to recommend Tower of God (not really manga of anime, but a webtoon from South Korea) . It has great (diverse!) design of female characters. Barely any or if any fanservice (and when it does it's pretty neutral):

It's isn't perfect of course; slow pace at the beginning, MC's lack of character (which does develop over time), MC is super OP), but it's certainly worth a read!

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So this made me do a double take. Can we get an anime of this please?

sexiled_v1_cover.jpg

Tanya Artemiciov is a talented Mage-class adventurer who just got kicked out of her party by a sexist scumbag. So what's a girl to do? Go to the wasteland and blow stuff up of course! One small problem though: she inadvertently frees a mythical Sorceress named Laplace who was sealed away for the past 300 years... Surprise! Turns out this so-called "wicked" Sorceress is actually pretty cool. Laplace wants to start a party of her own, Tanya wants revenge, and the solution is obvious: team up. It's time to kick ass, kiss girls, and dismantle the patriarchy!

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

sexiled_v1_cover.jpg

Tanya Artemiciov is a talented Mage-class adventurer who just got kicked out of her party by a sexist scumbag. So what's a girl to do? Go to the wasteland and blow stuff up of course! One small problem though: she inadvertently frees a mythical Sorceress named Laplace who was sealed away for the past 300 years... Surprise! Turns out this so-called "wicked" Sorceress is actually pretty cool. Laplace wants to start a party of her own, Tanya wants revenge, and the solution is obvious: team up. It's time to kick ass, kiss girls, and dismantle the patriarchy!
So basically Shield Hero but with a feminist angle? I'm in.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

sexiled_v1_cover.jpg

At first glance this still seems like a male fantasy, yuri type series, but I'll readily admit I haven't read it.

My daughter's a little younger than sixth grade but I've been getting her into older classics like the original Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Magic Knights Rayearth (yes it's a lot of Clamp), Unico, etc. We watched the Netflix St. Seiya together and not having a background in the true gender of Shun, she liked it well enough. She likes Black Clover and My Hero well enough, but I think that's partially because others in her class like it.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I'll keep track of this thread since I read a lot of manga and it'd be nice to share some positive examples. Lately, however, I've only encountered negative ones. A bunch of the series I read happened to be about the same topic (school kids killing each other / teachers in a battle royale-like setting or just because) and I thought that this is where the similarities would stop. Unfortunately, they also share one thing in common: using rape as a motivation / plot device. So instead of giving a female character complex backgrounds and motivation that was entirely possible within the context of the plot, the mangaka (all male if I'm not mistaked) decided to go down that road. One of those mangaka is the author of Shinsekai Yori by the way. And what's worse is that one manga (Tomogui Kyoushitsu) was published in Shounen Jump+ which I believe is Shounen in just name because the stuff that's published there is pretty hands-free about that stuff, don't let me start on how rape is handled in Fire Punch from the same magazine. So, avoid at all cost: Aku no Kyoten, Tomogui Kyoushitsu, Tomogui (funny that the trash shares the same name). Ousama Game which I didn't watch / read is by the same author as Tomogui so probably trash as well.

All in all, the ubiquitous use of rape made me disappointed in the genre I wasn't a big fan of in the first place, I thought the setting would open the doors for some interesting psychological stuff but it turns out that the authors possess a hive mind. I have a couple of similar series on my to read list and I'll think twice before touching them.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
So i just learned about Tamakis running gag in fire force and christ. I already have a low opinion of the overall depiction of shonen female characters but her bad luck shtick is the worst ive seen in a while,besides that fire force as a whole just seems really generic.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Recently saw a tweet from an artist I follow.

Got me thinking about female gaze in shoujo. Although I've only ever read a little shoujo, I can see what Sarah is talking about.

Hope somebody somewhere does an article on it!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Curious on what people here think about Madoka Magica.

I find it one of the greatest anime ever made, and also appreciate how it mostly avoids fanservice of any kind.

The one mark against it would be the post-series emphasis of the one busty character's attributes (Mami). Kind of like how Evangelion tends to sexualize its ladies further through merchandising.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Attack on Titan is shonen series with pretty much zero traditional fanservice. Sadly it's pretty much sole exception that I can think of. FMA didn't have that much fanservice either if I remember right (makes sense as mangaka is woman). It has been years since I watched it though.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

I find it one of the greatest anime ever made, and also appreciate how it mostly avoids fanservice of any kind.

The one mark against it would be the post-series emphasis of the one busty character's attributes (Mami). Kind of like how Evangelion tends to sexualize its ladies further through merchandising.

It's one of my favorite animes for the deconstruction of the magical girl tropes. Even love the third movie despite what others think of it.

Also Bunny Cat's a dick.

It is however an unfortunate habit in anime merch to just ignore everything about the series and go "BEWBS!" really loud to get you to buy near smut of underage characters

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's one of my favorite animes for the deconstruction of the magical girl tropes. Even love the third movie despite what others think of it.

Also Bunny Cat's a dick.

It is however an unfortunate habit in anime merch to just ignore everything about the series and go "BEWBS!" really loud to get you to buy near smut of underage characters

It's frankly miraculous none of the other characters go through the old "Wow I'm so jealous of your honkers! I must squeeze them out of envy!" schtick.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017

I believe the main criticism against Madoka is that it's popularity had a net negative effect on the magical girl genre. A genre focused on the female power fantasy became flooded with grimdark tales of suffering to catch that sweet Madoka cash.