• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Shyarly's a good example. Shakky too, now that I think of it. Oda does seem to do a more reasonable job with women of a certain age.
There are a bunch of good Big Mom pirates that have really good designs too if I remember correctly and Big Mom herself is a great character imo, one of my favorite villains.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I found a manga recently, Fukakai na Boku no Subete o, that did a surprisingly good and authentic look at gender (both in a non-binary and binary sense, depending on the character), sexuality, cross dressing & gender dysphoria.

(The description in the above link explains the basic premise, so I'm linking to it instead of copying it into this thread.)

I've seen a fair share of manga & anime that would either use this annoyingly for fan service or as a joke, but in the first chapter does an great job at not skirting around gender and someone being non-binary.

I don't want to spoil things about specific characters or plot points past the first chapter, but there's one character who's transgender and is treated with care in the story. Some of the characters are from what I can tell so far just wanting to cross-dress, and the story treats that as normal.

There is a romantic plot thread that happens a little bit in (won't spoil details as it's worth going in blind IMO) that uses the overused "lesbian friend" trope you see sometimes in manga as the "rival", but it's not superficial as it goes into the backstory as to why they acted like that and makes the reader emphasize with her.

(No western publisher has picked it up, so it's only scanlations for now, with 12 chapters released so far. I'm really hoping it eventually gets picked up, as I'd love to have an official physical copy if possible.)

It's a great read if you are wanting to read a manga that brings these issues up in an intelligent manner. I'm really hoping future chapters keep things going in a similar manner to how the first twelve chapters have been.

(Also, typing this up on my phone, so apologies if i accidentally autocorrected something badly.)

Oh hey, someone else who's also reading this. I'll echo that this is a really good Manga that handles queer characters well, and treats the issues intelligently. The Manga scene is seeing a lot more queer characters and themes, and you people really should dig into some of the less popular works to find gems like these.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was watching the Ninja Box Web Anime that Bamco's done like... I think this is the second episode, really, and it's some really goofy fun to it. It seems Ninja Box is part of a multi-media franchise that Bamco seems to be attempting to do, with the game coming out in around September in Japan (there's been no proper TV anime announced yet, but I expect it to come fairly soon).

Anyways, while I know that Kids anime (Kodomo and Shonen) aren't complete strangers to having some mild sexual content, I have to admit, I didn't expect to see THIS:

D9TgEEPWsAAzfxV.jpg

Basically what leads up to it is there's several trap holes set up, and a bunch of them end up falling into it, and of course, so does the main character. What ends up happening next, however, is he ends up falling into one of the dance performer's buttocks, and then struggles to get out of it for a bit, until just plopping out.

Sometimes I wonder what goes through the mind of the staff working on these shows... I just... Yeah.

I want to bring up Shield hero and the problem with Raphtalia. So much is wrong with every step of her character. The obvious is her slavery and how she sees her status as positive and the story at no point really question it or has a counter to why it wrong.

There also the fact that she ages way faster just to avoid saying this is an underage character.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I found a manga recently, Fukakai na Boku no Subete o, that did a surprisingly good and authentic look at gender (both in a non-binary and binary sense, depending on the character), sexuality, cross dressing & gender dysphoria.

(The description in the above link explains the basic premise, so I'm linking to it instead of copying it into this thread.)

I've seen a fair share of manga & anime that would either use this annoyingly for fan service or as a joke, but in the first chapter does an great job at not skirting around gender and someone being non-binary.

I don't want to spoil things about specific characters or plot points past the first chapter, but there's one character who's transgender and is treated with care in the story. Some of the characters are from what I can tell so far just wanting to cross-dress, and the story treats that as normal.

There is a romantic plot thread that happens a little bit in (won't spoil details as it's worth going in blind IMO) that uses the overused "lesbian friend" trope you see sometimes in manga as the "rival", but it's not superficial as it goes into the backstory as to why they acted like that and makes the reader emphasize with her.

(No western publisher has picked it up, so it's only scanlations for now, with 12 chapters released so far. I'm really hoping it eventually gets picked up, as I'd love to have an official physical copy if possible.)

It's a great read if you are wanting to read a manga that brings these issues up in an intelligent manner. I'm really hoping future chapters keep things going in a similar manner to how the first twelve chapters have been.

(Also, typing this up on my phone, so apologies if i accidentally autocorrected something badly.)
I do appreciate that whenever this manga starts to make you think "oh, so we're doing that tropey gag now", it promptly pivots into the other direction, and often even calls it out directly. Not in a have-your-cake way, either. It doesn't take much; just a few really simple quick exchanges, shutting down hurtful views or stereotypes as they pop up without dwelling on them.
Plus, it hits a good balance of fluffy romance and heartfelt drama, so that the various characters' unique circumstances are neither background dressing nor impossible burdens -- and with so many anime/manga series that go all in on one end of that scale or the other, a nuanced take like this one is still all too rare a find.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I want to bring up Shield hero and the problem with Raphtalia. So much is wrong with every step of her character. The obvious is her slavery and how she sees her status as positive and the story at no point really question it or has a counter to why it wrong.

There also the fact that she ages way faster just to avoid saying this is an underage character.

It's from a review of Wise Man's Grandchild but I bet the writer had Shield Hero in mind here:

Caitlin Moore via Anime Feminist said:
Quite a few isekai of the last few years ask the question, "What if you, exactly as you are now, had the exact qualities and skills to be successful and adored in another universe?" They use RPG mechanics and tropes because that's what their target audience is familiar with. And slave-owning doesn't seem too bad (these series claim) when you can tell yourself that you would never dream of starving or beating them, like a proper modern human.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget, Berserk used a woman's period as a plot device to make her inept at combat.

And of course she gets sexually assaulted in that same episode/battle.... And that's just the tip of the iceberg for that series.
the amount of times she's sexually assaulted/raped is in the double digits and it's absurd. She also does not really have one badass moment and is constantly getting undercut by dumb shit.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Never forget, Berserk used a woman's period as a plot device to make her inept at combat.

And of course she gets sexually assaulted in that same episode/battle.... And that's just the tip of the iceberg for that series.

She had a bad period so that wasn't the weirdest thing to have happened. You aint never have someone at work try to work through rough period cramps and had to tell them go the fuck home?

Also it was only like 3 times. Once by a nobel her parents sold her to because they couldn't afford all thier kids because of famine and she killed that dude.
Once because Griffith is a spiteful motherfucker and knows that Gutz had horrific trauma about his own rape when he was like six so he made both Casca and Gutz suffer because he could watch them be happy together.
And the last one Was when she was out of her mind and living with the traveling prostitutes and one of the crazier ones tried to bring her into a sexual orgy at a crazy cult.

Outside of that I can't remember any other sexual assaults. Gutz does try to kill one time but I don't remember anymore sexual assaults on Casca.

Lets be honest, everyone needs Therapy in Berserk, well everyone thats not griffith. Griffith deserves 2 bullets in the chest and two in the head.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
The Caitlin Moore also brings up a point of privilege and how characters start the new life right in it.

Definitely, it's always "oh you're the most powerful hero ever and also everyone loves you and worships your completely ordinary character traits. Also, you're almost definitely a cis, straight late-teenaged man who was a typical nerd from at least a middle-class family and in the new world you're probably rich or can get money extremely easily for no reason." I get that isekai-wish-fulfilment is popular but c'mon how many of them do there really need to be at this point

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

THere's a lot more wrong with Shield Hero than just that one character. Especially from a feminist standpoint.

The fact that the whole story is based on the fact that he's been falsely accused of rape and the final punishment of his false accuser, stand out to me a lot when it comes to it.

A lot of the aspects are problematic unfortunately most of them have been throughout fantasy anime since the beginning. Berserk has been mentioned a lot in regards to this already.

Edit: it didn't surprise me in the least when I found out that Shield Hero was a light novel started on 4chan.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

Not only that, the show seems to actually counter the idea that slavery is bad.

One of the other heroes rushes into save the slave, eventually ends up freeing her but then she chooses to get herself marked as a slave again.

Part way through this the potential savior literally exclaims "I thought slavery was bad...." or something similar. Like, maybe he rushed into judging....slavery.

I really want to find some good shows to watch on Crunchy Roll outside of Attack on Titan and One Punch Man (the second season of which seems to have added a bunch of male gaze nonsense) but all the most popular shows seem to be full of this shit.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She had a bad period so that wasn't the weirdest thing to have happened. You aint never have someone at work try to work through rough period cramps and had to tell them go the fuck home?

Also it was only like 3 times. Once by a nobel her parents sold her to because they couldn't afford all thier kids because of famine and she killed that dude.
Once because Griffith is a spiteful motherfucker and knows that Gutz had horrific trauma about his own rape when he was like six so he made both Casca and Gutz suffer because he could watch them be happy together.
And the last one Was when she was out of her mind and living with the traveling prostitutes and one of the crazier ones tried to bring her into a sexual orgy at a crazy cult.

Outside of that I can't remember any other sexual assaults. Gutz does try to kill one time but I don't remember anymore sexual assaults on Casca.

Lets be honest, everyone needs Therapy in Berserk, well everyone thats not griffith. Griffith deserves 2 bullets in the chest and two in the head.
Nearly raped by Wyald and his demon Tongue? She has her tits out in every panel the rest of the fight. Even 1 time is to much bruh and she's not the only female character.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
The fact that the whole story is based on the fact that he's been falsely accused of rape and the final punishment of his false accuser, stand out to me a lot when it comes to it.

Yeah I almost brought this up, but I'm not even sure how to handle it given how unnecessarily problematic it is. Like, the main character could have been falsely accused of literally any crime and the story would have been pretty much the same, but they just had to go and reinforce the (wrong) idea that men are constantly in danger from false rape accusations.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I really want to find some good shows to watch on Crunchy Roll outside of Attack on Titan and One Punch Man (the second season of which seems to have added a bunch of male gaze nonsense) but all the most popular shows seem to be full of this shit.

Did you watch A Place Beyond the Universe? 100% love this show, definitely belongs in this thread as well. I also heartily recommend Mob Psycho 100.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah I almost brought this up, but I'm not even sure how to handle it given how unnecessarily problematic it is. Like, the main character could have been falsely accused of literally any crime and the story would have been pretty much the same, but they just had to go and reinforce the (wrong) idea that men are constantly in danger from false rape accusations.

Don't forget that false accusers should by enslaved and raped.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I'm afraid I don't have any with me at the moment. I can point to Lindsay Ellis Whole Plate series where she talks a bit about feminist theory and shows how to apply it to a film.

I was hoping the video would explore more than just Transformers.
Myself, I would be interested in comments on what is bad and what is good about the following:
  • Drossel von Flugel
  • Nobel Gundam
  • Qubeley
  • Zone of the Enders Isis (aka Dolores)
  • Virtual-On's Myzr
  • Virtual-On's Guarayakha
  • Virtual-On's Fei-Yen (probably the worst in this list).
Regarding One Piece, best character has always been Doctor Kureha. She even has Goku's voice actress.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Although it is also in Netlfix, you can watch March Comes in like a Lion. One of the best animes released these past years. Some of the main issues it deals with is a MC with depression and low self-esteem. School bullying is also another issue that is explored. It is absolutely beautiful though.

tumblr_oxun21lNLt1qehrvso1_500.gif

Now, where is my third season? I'm still waiting for it Shaft.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Although it is also in Netlfix, you can watch March Comes in like a Lion. One of the best animes released these past years. Some of the main issues it deals with is a MC with depression and low self-esteem. School bullying is also another issue that is explored. It is absolutely beautiful though.

tumblr_oxun21lNLt1qehrvso1_500.gif

Now, where is my third season? I'm still waiting for it Shaft.

Will also check this out, thanks!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

One of the other heroes rushes into save the slave, eventually ends up freeing her but then she chooses to get herself marked as a slave again.

Part way through this the potential savior literally exclaims "I thought slavery was bad...." or something similar. Like, maybe he rushed into judging....slavery.

Watch Mob Psycho 100. If you like One Punch Man, you'll like this too.

Edit: it didn't surprise me in the least when I found out that Shield Hero was a light novel started on 4chan.
Pretty sure that's not true. Maybe you're talking about the JP equivalent, 2ch.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The author completely ignores all physiological faults of human beings when it comes to realistic strength, stamina, and speed for male characters like the protagonist. HOWEVER, once a woman is introduced in battle and NOW all of a sudden physiological traits that are specific to women like having their periods are central plot points to damsel them IN A FANTASY STORY?

If you can't acknowledge the layers upon layers of misogyny here then that's on you.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Will also check this out, thanks!
There are many others animes that are worth watching in Crunchy. If you are in the US, Bunny Drop is also another beautiful anime which deals with a guy that has to adopt his cousin. Both then embark in a journey to learn how to be a family. There is also Chihayafuru which has a female lead who plays Karuta at a competitive level. Shirobako portrays how an anime is created. Shinsekai Yori is also another excellent anime full of mystery and supernatural stuff. Tsuki ga Kirei portrays the first love of two middle school students. Unlike many other animes, those two are portrayed as normal kids who have insecurities as to how to approach each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Unsure where else to ask this question, but as a someone that grew up in the 80s and 90s I loved anime a lot, but over time I've been generally grossed out by how it depicts women. I've tried to get back into it now and then, but stuff like just reads really gross and creepy. What are some titles (movies, ovas, tv) from the past ten-ish years that take advantage of the technological jumps anime has seen without the types of characters and tropes I would find in Kill La Kill? (I've got Netflix and CrunchyRoll, but not afraid of buying discs)

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say that Attack on Titan seems to be a pretty progressive show/manga in terms of fanservice and the way women are represented and treated. I've noticed this in the years I've been reading it, so I'd happily recommend it to those who wish to avoid problematic content.

Probably been said before, but literally the only "fanservice" in the property are lots and lots of abs.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
There are many others animes that are worth watching in Crunchy. If you are in the US, Bunny Drop is also another beautiful anime which deals with a guy that has to adopt his cousin. Both then embark in a journey to learn how to be a family. There is also Chihayafuru which has a female lead who plays Karuta at a competitive level. Shirobako portrays how an anime is created. Shinsekai Yori is also another excellent anime full of mystery and supernatural stuff. Tsuki ga Kirei portrays the first love of two middle school students. Unlike many other animes, those two are portrayed as normal kids who have insecurities as to how to approach each other.

Thanks very much for the recommendations!

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Unsure where else to ask this question, but as a someone that grew up in the 80s and 90s I loved anime a lot, but over time I've been generally grossed out by how it depicts women. I've tried to get back into it now and then, but stuff like just reads really gross and creepy. What are some titles (movies, ovas, tv) from the past ten-ish years that take advantage of the technological jumps anime has seen without the types of characters and tropes I would find in Kill La Kill? (I've got Netflix and CrunchyRoll, but not afraid of buying discs)

Sorry to repeatedly plug Mob Pyscho 100 but look at this

tenor.gif

Also I really like Madhouse's (edit: animation) work in general, so here's me plugging A Place Further than the Universe for a second time:

2further.gif

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. The princess is found out, enslaved, renamed Bitch and raped.
After a friend talked about the anime and I heard other things about the show I looked into it and what happens to her in particular. I found the chapter in the original web novel and it is way way worse than that. I can't imagine they stay true to the original and all the adaptions probably lighten up what happens to her. The author also contrives a situation where the main character watches a recording of the punishment in order to verify she is being properly punished. I am not sure if this is to allow the author to say this punishment is correct or if he just wanted to write the revenge fantasy and needed an excuse. The even stranger thing is this is the first half of a chapter and the second half is a lighthearted scene in a hot spring.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
After a friend talked about the anime and I heard other things about the show I looked into it and what happens to her in particular. I found the chapter in the original web novel and it is way way worse than that. I can't imagine they stay true to the original and all the adaptions probably lighten up what happens to her. The author also contrives a situation where the main character watches a recording of the punishment in order to verify she is being properly punished. I am not sure if this is to allow the author to say this punishment is correct or if he just wanted to write the revenge fantasy and needed an excuse. The even stranger thing is this is the first half of a chapter and the second half is a lighthearted scene in a hot spring.

just... what...

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Have you watched Makoto Shinkai films? Garden of Words and Your Name are some of the most beautiful animated movies I have watched.

edd773d48aa2ad6e7adb96598764ba4f23df1eb1_hq.jpg

64ae6631986403.56700f4545419.jpg

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Don't forget the detailed panels on Farnese getting herself off on remembering people being burned alive.
That was f-ed up too, pretty up there along with Guts and Casca's rapes, but the way it was drawn made it possibly worse because it felt voyeuristic/ fetishist.
Berserk has a lot of problems...

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching K-On for the first time and I'm not really sure what to think of it. Now in 2019 it comes across as a less-developed form of shows I love like Place Further than the Universe and Laid-Back Camp. It doesn't have the emotional stakes of the former or the comfiness of the latter.

I think the show's love for costumes can get a little questionable, mostly with Mio who never seems to want to wear them. On the other hand I'm not noticing a lot of male gaze in the direction, even when people are in said costumes. The show has a distinct lack of male energy in general. I can think of one male character with any lines in the whole show so far and he's a nobody. So not that it says much on its own but I guess it passes the Bechdel test with flying colors. It was an influential show and it popularized the "cute girls doing cute things" genre which definitely has its problematic entries, but it seems mostly clean to me. Anyone have thoughts about it?

One note: Please anime, stop with the old maid teacher jokes. I know K-On is old now but this shit is still happening. It was never funny and it only gets more unfunny with time. Stop It

robot

Oct 27, 2017
If that's your thing, you can always watch Non Non Biyori which I think is great but maybe it's not for everyone.

I don't particularly crave it, but I was impressed with the show's dedication to not having any male characters at all. I saw the first episode of Non Non Biyori and thought it was pretty fun. I'll make a point to check out the rest one of these days. Thanks for the suggestion!

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Nearly raped by Wyald and his demon Tongue? She has her tits out in every panel the rest of the fight. Even 1 time is to much bruh and she's not the only female character.

No
Don't forget the detailed panels on Farnese getting herself off on remembering people being burned alive.
That was f-ed up too, pretty up there along with Guts and Casca's rapes, but the way it was drawn made it possibly worse because it felt voyeuristic/ fetishist.
Berserk has a lot of problems...

Farnese also tries to rape her half brother. The only people who haven't done fucked up things are the kids in Berserk. Little Witch girl and munchkin with the fire knife are just wasy more pure because life aint fuck them up yet. All the adults got questionable shit in their past. Also the only nice people in the Manga are the Old Witch, Skeleton Warrior, and the Nicest Prostitute.

Everyone else are just varying degree's of asshole and murderers. I mean the main character skewered an innocent child and killed quiet a few innocent people. Casca is just a unrepentant asshole for a long time because of her own personal hangups. Griffith is just a fucking monster now. Farnese was out of her fucking mind who was pretty much masturbating herself while beating Gutz bloody and tried to rape her half brother.

The Half-brother was a bit broken by it all and kinda lost himself in trying to protect his sister and didn't allow himself to live his own life. Everyone is just fucking weird and fucked up and that is just the adults of the main cast, side characters are really just the fucking worst.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No

Farnese also tries to rape her half brother. The only people who haven't done fucked up things are the kids in Berserk. Little Witch girl and munchkin with the fire knife are just wasy more pure because life aint fuck them up yet. All the adults got questionable shit in their past. Also the only nice people in the Manga are the Old Witch, Skeleton Warrior, and the Nicest Prostitute.

Everyone else are just varying degree's of asshole and murderers. I mean the main character skewered an innocent child and killed quiet a few innocent people. Casca is just a unrepentant asshole for a long time because of her own personal hangups. Griffith is just a fucking monster now. Farnese was out of her fucking mind who was pretty much masturbating herself while beating Gutz bloody and tried to rape her half brother.

The Half-brother was a bit broken by it all and kinda lost himself in trying to protect his sister and didn't allow himself to live his own life. Everyone is just fucking weird and fucked up and that is just the adults of the main cast, side characters are really just the fucking worst.
Fuck you mean no? Fuck outta here with. Shit was gross and unnecessary. Sicko

May 13, 2019
Not the first anime I recall doing that. Slayers had Lina losing her powers during her period too.

Spice and Wolf is another anime that had a rather baffling approach to slavery. Main character Lawrence is a merchant who has dabbled in sales of slaves in the past mostly because he sees it as just another bussiness. Specially jarring as he himself almost got sold as a slave over unpaid quotes.

But again, his partner Holo is a wolf Goddess that doesn't think it's a big deal to kill and eat humans. The only reason of why she doesn't do so anymore is because it might freak Lawrence off. So maybe the whole thing is intentional off-putting.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Fuck you mean no? Fuck outta here with. Shit was gross and unnecessary. Sicko

lmao I didn't realize I didn't delete the whole comment under that. It was supposed to be," Nothing about her tits being out was really bad to me because it didn't seem sexual at all and I forgot about Wyald completely" But I decided not to post that and Thought I deleted the whole thing lmao Sorry for that.

I had to go back and see those chapter because its been awhile since I read those because we all know what Berserks release schedule is.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
There are so many anime with great, non-sexual pandering mostly female casts. It frustrates me to no end those shows don't get the signal boost they deserve.
For folks looking for non-squicky anime:

Zombie Land Saga - last years hit idol show with zombie girls, including a transgender girl.
Bodacious Space Pirates - Not reflective of the title at all. Schoolgirls sailing space ships, no upskirt shots despite zero-g.
Chihayafuru - school kids playing a competitive literature card matching game at a professional level.
Barakamon - struggling artist moves to the boonies. The local kids adopt him as a mentor.
Snow White with the Red Hair - classic fairy tale set-up, and despite some kidnapping attempts and all that stuff it has probably the healthiest romantic relationship I've ever seen in any anime

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
If you want a surprisingly progressive Anime than Rakudai no Calvery is a nice one.

The main character is a bit conservative sexually and the Main Female is alot more forward than most anime women about what she wants once she is locked on the person she likes.
Also It has a regular side character who is a gay transwomen and is pretty much one of the squad. Everyone pretty much treats her like a women.

There is some fanservice but it goes both ways, The Main girl is seen in lingerie a few times and the main guy gets a few loving views of his abs. The Main girl gets some more scenes with main dude if only because she is sexually forward and aint afraid of using her body a bit to try and break the MC's sexually conservative values to be with her.