• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
No need to take the statement as a total absolute. The amount of people ripping on these boys is baffling. They're not smiling. So what. People want to assume it's because they lost to a girl. It's totally acceptable for somebody not to smile when they've lost.
Of course it's acceptable. Understandable, too! And let me add that it's completely possible that them not smiling is really unrelated to the loss, because if you look at the picture another user posted, even winners don't always smile.
What I'm arguing against is the toxic notion that everyone who didn't end up in first place not smiling is how it "should" be if they want to be winners.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's acceptable. Understandable, too! What I'm arguing against is the toxic notion that that's how it "should" be if they want to be winners.

Yeah if somebody is frustrated that they lost, cool. That's natural. But what about anybody else that's even got a taste of competition or a good match? You're not gonna smile over how intense that back and forth match was? It can be a good time and you can smile after an L. Idk. Agree to disagree I guess.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
The boys being dour is just normal loser's salt. I don't see the issue.

Edit: mad is a bit strong.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
US, what's up with these 4 and 6 person podiums? Really redefining "podium finish" here.

I can only speak for the state I wrestled in but at the state level the top 8 were considered to have placed and received a medal. This is the best of the best, you had to go through 2 qualifying tournaments where only 4 of the top 16 qualified. So you start out with 16 tournaments with up to 16 wrestlers each. Only the top 4 move on at each. They're then placed in 4 tournaments of 16 where again only the top 4 move on. Top 8 out of 256 is pretty great. Hell, my school had a wall of honor for anyone who even made states, though those who placed got a higher placement on it. (Says the guy who got 9th, lol)

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure she'll wrestle in college and probably try out for world champions/maybe 2024 Olympics, but with her skill and the personality she showed in that interview, I see star potential for her in MMA or pro-wrestling if she ever wants to explore either route.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to being a gracious loser? You got 2nd and 3rd place, that is pretty good.

If you want to promote this bullshit "only winning matters", then abolish silver and bronze and get the fuck off the podium and decapitate the losers backstage.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The look on the boys face looks normal, btw:

iu

I'm proud of Bobby Hill. He may not have placed but he put in the effort.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
What happened to being a gracious loser? You got 2nd and 3rd place, that is pretty good.

If you want to promote this bullshit "only winning matters", then abolish silver and bronze and get the fuck off the podium and decapitate the losers backstage.

I dunno how far removed some of y'all are from competitive scholastic sport, but young men trying to look hard on the podium isn't about winning or losing, it's about mugging to the camera.

Makin' too much of this shit lmao

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if it was all girls on the podium with similar expressions and you all were talking about it this way. I'd guess at the very least a bunch of ya would be hit with warnings.

I saw this yesterday, good on her hope she keeps it up and is able to make something out of wrestling next year and beyond.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
People are really questioning why these boys are mugging for the camera?

They lost and losing sucks. Period.

It doesn't matter if you lose to a girl, another boy, a dog, or a giraffe.

Why the hell would I smile if I got third place?

Maybe it's just me (I'm a very competitive person), but I wouldn't smile if I didn't win a competition that I trained hard for.

Maybe it's just me (I'm a very competitive person), but I wouldn't smile if I didn't win a competition that I trained hard for.
Winning isn't everything, not in pro sports and definitely not in school sports.

Oct 27, 2017
6 and 5 look normal. The others are acting like they are Marines or something.
Lol, 5 & 6 are just happy to be there, while 2 & 3 are pissed they're not #1.

Pretty funny pic that is a microcosm of perspective.

The faces on those boys are ridiculous. Embarrassing actually. And she looks so happy and proud. Wonderful!
A child is disappointed that they worked hard and fell short of their major goal. But sure, they're the ones being embarrassing atm. Stop dogging on kids, jeez.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I got my picture in the paper one time for winning a city-wide wrestling tournament and literally looked like I was about to murder someone. Mean mugs always

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure she'll wrestle in college and probably try out for world champions/maybe 2024 Olympics, but with her skill and the personality she showed in that interview, I see star potential for her in MMA or pro-wrestling if she ever wants to explore either route.
That reminds me to get on my semi-annual tweet to my alma mater about adding women's wrestling.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Now I want to a champion giraffe wrestler :(

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
what is this thread? the kids dont owe you a smile lol

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You guys do realize that not smiling in a photo =/= being upset, right?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats!

Is it mandatory that every wrestler be blonde? That 2nd place dude should be banned. That's clearly a dye job so he wouldn't have to compete in the brunette league

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I guess its a wrestling thing to straddle your coach like a baby monkey? She did it, those other to dudes did it. Little weird but alright.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Good for her. Nothing wrong with the guys not smiling, it happens. That said it reminds me of that one picture with everyone on the podium including Jon Jones, looking super stoic and or pissed off...

...and then there's Matt Riddle standing on #1 looking so happy you'd think he's stoned