• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
While I can tell the sheer amount of effort that was put into this...

I'm not feeling the artstyle and animation

Can't put my finger on it but it just looks off

It reminds me to much of overused styles seen on mobile and other cheap fantasy rpg games

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Might pull the trigger on this what with being a huge FFT fan. My only concern is the story really, how is it?

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Just stumbled on the thread and as a huge FFT fan (I think I've bought and played it on like 4 different platforms), I took the plunge on this. So far (a few hours in) I'm really enjoying it. Story is well told and the mechanics are deep.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
While I can tell the sheer amount of effort that was put into this...

I'm not feeling the artstyle and animation

Can't put my finger on it but it just looks off

It reminds me to much of overused styles seen on mobile and other cheap fantasy rpg games
Same. I just find the characters' looks and the way they move offputting. I've seen a few rpg games on Switch that have a similiar vibe, and I just don't like looking at it. Otherwise seems to be a fine game.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ive been enjoying this so far, but the story and general premise feels more in line with FFTA tone-wise rather than FFT or even Tactics Ogre. It doesn't really bother me a lot but I see how it could generally turn some people away.

You do get used to the artstyle a bit once you put some time in but yea, I wish the on-field models and the portraits matched a bit more closely.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Ive been enjoying this so far, but the story and general premise feels more in line with FFTA tone-wise rather than FFT or even Tactics Ogre. It doesn't really bother me a lot but I see how it could generally turn some people away.

You do get used to the artstyle a bit once you put some time in but yea, I wish the on-field models and the portraits matched a bit more closely.

deargodnoplease.gif

I'm so on the fence right now. I love SRPGs but I am also tremendously picky about them, always comparing them unfairly to my first loves in the genre.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Just stumbled on the thread and as a huge FFT fan (I think I've bought and played it on like 4 different platforms), I took the plunge on this. So far (a few hours in) I'm really enjoying it. Story is well told and the mechanics are deep.

20 hours in, the story is serviceable as a frame for the missions, that's about it. Not anywhere near something like FFT or its writing.
It's a game you should play for the gameplay, which is pretty good on the other hand.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
20 hours in, the story is serviceable as a frame for the missions, that's about it. Not anywhere near something like FFT or its writing.
It's a game you should play for the gameplay, which is pretty good on the other hand.

It does shine a light on all the little things FFT does that makes it stand out. The weapon impacts, hit slowdown, sound design, spell effects, enemy hit reactions.

The issue that indies run into a lot is all the small touches as well as the big design decisions that push the overall presentation and quality of a game and separate it from its peers

To this day FFT is still the crown jewel of the genre to me and I underestimate the amount of work it takes to produce something of that quality despite it seeming like a simpler and lower fidelity game

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, I don't understand it. There is a pretty damn sizable niche audience for games in this genre, and it seems like the perfect thing for indies to work on, but there's practically nothing out there.

I feel like a sizable number of the Strategy/RPGs out there are blatant FFT clones, my favorite of the lot being Wild Arms XF (PSP/Vita). For something more recent, God Wars is FFT + Japanese mythology and came out on the Switch last year, PS4/Vita the year before that, and is getting a PC release later this year.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just streamed this for 3 hours yesterday and REALLY enjoying it so far.
A really fun tactical turn-based RPG so far. I like the customization on the units A LOT. Not only the classes and abilities but the cosmetic one as well.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Bought this on Xbox today to try out. Will probably re-buy on Switch when it eventually releases.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I play this pretty much exclusively stream linking to an iPad and it's great, so it's nice to know there'll be a native mobile option.

Nov 3, 2017
There's no way to import custom portraits into the Switch version right?

I would love to play this on the go, but I'm too in love with my party members, The Doctor and The Doctor

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it on PC. Had a lot of fun with it. The class system is pretty good and you master classes quickly so it's fun to try new combinations. The game encourages going back to previously beaten maps to open chests you couldn't before with the classes/characters you had and they usually contain good stuff. Pretty nice little story in there too. There is also a sidequest chain to unlock a secret character. Game is definitely on the easy side as some class combos are ridiculous (some early passive abilities lets you wield 2 handed weapon in one hand for instance, another one lets you 100% evade physical attack).

It also has flexible options and you can turn off the injury system if you want. When you are koed in battle your characters will have a stats penalty until you bench them for a while but you can turn that off if you want.

The only bad thing about the game is definitely the art. Characters portraits are often in the uncanny zone while characters models look straight from a mobile game.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Highly recommend this game. Here's my Steam review:
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: texhnolyze :: Review for Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Fell Seal is exactly what I always wanted from this genre. The game has everything what made FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre great, from the robust class system, map design with elevation and such, combat mechanics and elements, exploration and team building, to story pieces in-between missions. No...
Fell Seal is exactly what I always wanted from this genre.

The game has everything what made FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre great, from the robust class system, map design with elevation and such, combat mechanics and elements, exploration and team building, to story pieces in-between missions. No gimmicks and no cards mechanic, it's truly inspired by FF Tactics at its very core.

That said, Fell Seal is not exactly a copy, as they also added some (optional) mechanics, including the injury system. If a character falls in a battle, they will be injured and get gimped stats if you choose to deploy them in the next battle. It's there to encourage having a substitute character ready just in case. It also encourages you to try different kind of characters and classes. Consumables also work differently here, as they replenish after each combat so you can freely use them to as you see fit. Instead of obtaining stronger consumables, you can upgrade them in the crafting menu.Speaking of crafting, there are lots of stuff to craft too, from consumables to gears and accessories.

The game gets harder the further you progress, especially since the enemies are more varied and consisted of more endgame jobs combination. The AI is also pretty smart and will fully utilize their tools and the map conditions. However, it doesn't stop you from breaking the game with OP jobs combination too. If you like managing your party, you'll spend a lot of time tinkering in the party menu. Each job is unique and there are lots of job synergies that you can try. It's the highlight of the game for me.

Sadly, the story is not that great. It's serviceable at best. I like the characters, but they didn't really develop throughout the game. If they can hire better writers and get bigger budget (for VA, for example), their next game could become a masterpiece in the genre.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'll try the demo later. I could play a modern SRPG without dating sim garbage!

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
FFT is one of my most beloved games ever and I have been pinning for a true sequel (FFTA was okay, but not the same) for, what, 20 years now? I will check this out.

That saaaaaaaaid... Those animations are looking really... not good. And the art style of the portraits clashes wildly with everything else on screen.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not a fan of the animation. I usually don't ask for much but here it feels something's missing.
The point is that Star Ocean 2 was not remastered in the way the poster I replied to wanted.
I'm not so sure it was different.
A simple hd remaster of the game might be what the person you answered to had in mind. I assumed too fast maybe.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Just found this game due to this thread.

I was only able to play for 20 minutes by could tell this will be great gameplay wise.

Although the art and graphics don't fit well I think

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the game, and making a build for two of my created characters that by the end of the game were such monsters they were nigh unstoppable was very satisfying. Loved doing that in tactics as well.

Dec 20, 2017
Awesome news. It's a great game. This genre is like crack. I started Tactics Ogre (the OST is absolutely amazing) after finishing Fell Seal and I'm gonna have to try FFT as well because it's almost guaranteed that I'll love it.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Now that I played it for a couple of hours, it really is a great game and is the most similar to FFT that I have played.

It's even more like FFT than FFTA advance was.

I am not liking the art style though, because it doesn't allow you to rotate the camera, but to be honest I haven't found a reason to rotate yet.

But the animations and attacks are severely lacking "oomph" especially the magic attacks. The effects or animations for them are super basic

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I just started this and so far it's awesome and satisfies the FFT craving I've had for ages~

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Bough the game on Switch last week. I am still not finished Three Houses (65 hours into Blue Lions) and while I adore it, I can't stop playing this game. Something about the gameplay loop, visual and music makes it incredibly appealing. Like many, I originally found the portraits clash with the sprites distracting, but I found enough ones I like to make an appealing looking team. I hope the game sells enough to warrant a higher-budget sequel!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I finished this last night myself, including both endings and all the optional battles (the "final" battle of the Ancient Path was pretty brutal but I got one lucky break when a regular enemy attacked one of my strongest party members who was Charmed and fucking me up, breaking the charm and allowing me to recover... I'd have been royally fucked otherwise lol... thanks, enemy AI xD.

Amazing game. Perfect gameplay loop of building your characters and combining class abilities in various fun ways, preparing your party loadout, battle, and just enough story to keep you engaged without being intrusive and boring. Excellent soundtrack too, I'll probably buy it on Bandcamp.

Fake edit: holy shit the devs are from my city. How did I not know that? Awesome.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Is the game good tho?
gameplay is fine, artstyle is atrocious. I actually bought it and thought the art style wouldn't bother me, but it did. And I couldn't force myself to keep playing it
I thought the illustration would be indicative of the quality but it wasn't. However, gameplay is, as I said, quite good

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
gameplay is fine, artstyle is atrocious. I actually bought it and thought the art style wouldn't bother me, but it did. And I couldn't force myself to keep playing it
I thought the illustration would be indicative of the quality but it wasn't. However, gameplay is, as I said, quite good
I actually beat this game shortly after release and agree with everything you said haha.