• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
stuck at home, single, pandemic, you know the drill

I want a nice game world to roam around in. Preferably a game with systems that aren't overly complicated that would require a bunch of googling to fully grasp. I'm thinking of getting back into Breath of the Wild or an Elder Scrolls game, but it would be nice to experience something for the first time.

Thanks all, hope you're well and safe

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough of Hollow Knight was defined by wonder and awe as I got lost in its world. Even as I know where things are now I still love turning over every rock all over again on repeats.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5. it's got some dating sim elements so you actually feel like making friends. And it's a great and weird adventure on top of that!

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I suffer from depression from loneliness as well. You want something with bright colors and a good mood. For me, Nintendo is really good at stuff like this, even the B tier Nintendo games can brighten my mood. Yoshis Wooly World got me through a bad spell.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yakuza 0. There are a LOT of side activities, funny side quests, combat is fun, main story is awesome.

tonetizzley

Nov 1, 2017
If you're looking for something simple (and on the switch), Stardew Valley or Golf Story are great pick me ups.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
RDR2 is a beautiful game world with simple game mechanics layered on top like a cozy blanket. Just go fishing or engage in the side activities and exploration. Assassins Creed Odyssey has a nice game world but for me doesn't quite hit the right notes because of the levelling enemies and number mechanics that get in the way of the immersion.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Play Tales of Berseria, OP !
Combat can be both simple or a bit more complex depending in which difficulty you play.
And as you said you are feeling kinda down the game has a light tone with a lot of funny moments ( MAGICKAZAM ! ) that will bring you joy and attachment to the party !

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Can't say I got many recommendations that haven't been said but I will say that I hope you feel better and cheer up soon <3

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Paradise Killer might work? It's a first-person exploration detective game, where you're running around trying to explore the island and solve a murder, while interviewing some people. The environment is super unique (people typically claim it has a vaporwave aesthetic), so if the visuals interest you might be worth a try.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Modded Witcher, GTAV, Skyrim, or Fallout 4. Easily to just walk around and enjoy the view and little details in those games. Cyberpunk will be joining their ranks.

Nov 2, 2017
I like just taking my time and exploring The Witcher 3. The environment and ambient sounds with the music is so relaxing for me. You could always drop the difficulty to easy and mainly just enjoy the journey.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
a short-and-sweet alternative: A Quick Hike. you can "beat" it pretty quickly, then take your time 100%ing while enjoying the chill vibes and BoTW-meets-Animal-Crossing aesthetic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone here ever play Elex? I've heard it's a little janky but the world gives me some weird Morrowind + Fallout mashup vibes and it's already in my Steam library.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
I used Pokemon Sword/Shield for this purpose.
It's charming and simple (too simple for a lot of people but just what I was looking for).

Forza Horizon 4 is also brill for this.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's not a big game - it's super short and you will beat it in one sitting. But A Short Hike is just a wonderful game that will cheer you up.

Other games with nice worlds and rather easy to get in to I'd recommend Steam World Dig 2. Love that game

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Witcher 3. World is amazing, characters are endearing, and Geralt (main character) will make you laugh.

You don't need to play the first two to understand the story.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If you are looking something a touch shorter, heavily story driven, limited but packed exploration and most importantly really warm colours and lighting, I would recommend Tell Me Why (also on Game Pass).

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
- Pokemon Infinite fusion (one of, if not THE best pokemon fan game using rpg maker)
- Any sims game
- Fallout 4 (at least settlement only challenges)
- Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (it's not an open world game but there's an easy 40 hours just to complete all the story missions)

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Straight up open world? Maybe Ghost of Tsushima or RDR2. Both have a lived in aesthetic to them like you've been transported to Japan or the Wild West. P5R has an upbeat charm to it with the best soundtrack this generation.

If it's not open world then either Journey or Abzu. The Last Guardian. Hell, even the Witness is nice to look at.

But my personal rec for when I'm feeling in the dumps is going to be a Souls game. The only thing that registers in my head when I'm going through a dark and dreary period, are dark and dreary games.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It won't take up too much of your time, but a wonderful game to get lost in for a few hours is definitely A Short Hike. It has a really nice minimalist style, a very laid-back feeling of exploration and relaxingly chill cast of characters to interact with. The mechanics are simple and intuitive and it's just really nice. It's also quite cheap to pick up!

LucasMonclar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Witcher 3, BOTW and RDR 2 comes to mind at first.

It is not open world, but I'll recomend the Mass Effect trilogy. The ending is controversial to say the least, but the journey is great and you really feel connected to the other characters. And The Citadel DLC on the third game is absolutely fantastic.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Spiritfairer has been a relaxing experience for me recently in an odd way given what it's about.
Hope you feel better soon op.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like I need to check out A Short Hike :)

The Witcher 3, BOTW and RDR 2 comes to mind at first.

It is not open world, but I'll recomend the Mass Effect trilogy. The ending is controversial to say the least, but the journey is great and you really feel connected to the other characters. And The Citadel DLC on the third game is absolutely fantastic.
oooo I have always meant to play through the Mass Effect trilogy. I was enamored with the first one but that was the only one I ever played, and I hear two is even better. Would definitely be a vibrant world to get sucked into.

Groucho

Aug 21, 2020
DQXI S was a great world to get lost in for 100+ hours, and I'm not even a JRPG diehard. Loved the characters and really came to feel the stakes and a genuine sense of accomplishment when I saw things through to the "real" ending.