• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
National Review have to be dense as a fucking doorknob to think that "Sweet Home Alabama" is a conservative rock song. "In Birmingham they love the governor (BOO HOO HOO)/Now we all did what we could do/Now Watergate does not bother me/Does your conscience bother you?"

The singer is going after the governor for being a racist ahole in the song and about how they tried to protest Vietnam and Watergate. I guess they must have missed that.

And Everclear's "Wonderful" is hardly a song about being a conservative.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How in god's name did they misread every single song on that list?

'Cause if you don't there's an awful lot of popular culture that you're completely locked out of.

Like, good luck being a conservative mainstream superhero fan unless you willfully misinterpret stuff like with great power comes great responsibility.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
"Godzilla," by Blue öyster Cult.

A 1977 classic about a big green monster — and more: "History shows again and again / How nature points up the folly of men."

i
how
???????????????????????????????????
im sorry but john j miller u are a straight moron when it comes to music.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Surprised they didn't put like Common People on here saying it's an ode to the pragmatic, down to earth values of the patriotic working class or some shit

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
National Review have to be dense as a fucking doorknob to think that "Sweet Home Alabama" is a conservative rock song. "In Birmingham they love the governor (BOO HOO HOO)/Now we all did what we could do/Now Watergate does not bother me/Does your conscience bother you?"

The singer is going after the governor for being a racist ahole in the song and about how they tried to protest Vietnam and Watergate. I guess they must have missed that.

Some of these I can't stop laughing;

17. "Stay Together for the Kids," by Blink 182.

A eulogy for family values by an alt-rock band whose members were raised in a generation without enough of them: "So here's your holiday / Hope you enjoy it this time / You gave it all away. . . . It's not right."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me how Paul Ryan said he favorite band was Rage Against the Machine.

These people have no fucking reading comprehension skills...

Oct 27, 2017
"Godzilla," by Blue öyster Cult.

A 1977 classic about a big green monster — and more: "History shows again and again / How nature points up the folly of men."

i
how
???????????????????????????????????
im sorry but john j miller u are a straight moron when it comes to music.
That is liberal notion if anything. Points up means to highlight/draw attention to.

I don't know what the fuck this dude is on about. It's why I feel like it's a troll to waste "liberals'" time, which I guess is working because here we are.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They just don't want to admit bands like Skrewdriver are the true expression of their ideology.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
For a bit of context, National Review Online is like Brietbart or TownHall or any of the other WhiteNationalistWithABlog sites.

The National Review magazine is a bit closer to more centrist conservatism (what's left of it), but not quite the same. I don't know why they're so different but they are.

hollerphonix

Oct 27, 2017
I find it truly amazing that there is even a conversation or debate as to the meaning of ratm lyrics. While they aren't bad lyrics de la rocha is not known for his subtelty.
Closer to topic calling these readings a stretch is almost magnanimous in it wording. Lets take multiple songs about divorce and read them as family values songs not someone describing personal issues.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Conservatives appropriating progressive ideas as their own now.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
OP you should probably include in your thread title this article is from 2006 lol. I'm curious as to how you stumbled across it!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
And despite the use by Rush Limbaugh "My City Was Gone" was actually about environmental conservation and specifically about the pollution and rampant development of her home town.

Oct 25, 2017
lol @ Rush being on there

OFFSPRING is on there hahaha

48. "Why Don't You Get a Job," by The Offspring.

The lyrics aren't exactly Shakespearean, but they're refreshingly blunt and they capture a motive force behind welfare reform.

This too, didn't the Stones want Trump to not use their music?

33. "You Can't Always Get What You Want," by The Rolling Stones.

You can "[go] down to the demonstration" and vent your frustration, but you must understand that there's no such thing as a perfect society — there are merely decent and free ones.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Conservatives who think "The Trees" by Rush is some conservative anti-Union theme song reveal how weirdly they view the world. As if rich people are the oak trees who are born taller and thus simply deserve more, and all the short maple trees represent the naturally dirty poors who should shut up and be happy with their breadcrumbs, otherwise everyone will die. How messed up do you gotta be to apply that song to human beings. Not to mention Neil Peart said it was just a silly song.

I knew this song was gonna be on there.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Including Brick by Ben Folds Five is pretty ironic considering that Ben Folds was a Bernie stan. But pop off.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right here right now by Jesus Jones is so hilarious now with the resurgent rise in fascism

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sweet home alabama is absolutely conservative and reactionary and their defense of it not being anti liberal and in praise of the Lost Coat is bullshit and post hoc justification for white liberals. They used the confederate flag. And I don't buy that they're "booing" the governor.

They call out young and mislabel the capital

they basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the fact that people were being murdered "We all did what we could do"

and then say alabama is "where the governor's true"

Fuck that song

Last edited:

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Damn this is from 2006, I actually still kinda considered myself a conservative back then, and even then I probably would've laughed at this.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

As someone who once lived in Alabama, the entire state doesn't get that. That song plays every hour on the hour on nearly every radio station no matter the genre.

Hell the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd don't seem to remember that anymore, to be fair they are barely the same band they were when that song was written.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
There may be like 5 songs with any conservative intent whatsoever on that list. A majority of those songs were by vocally left wing artists, and some were written with no political message whatsoever. That "Wouldn't It Be Nice" reasoning reads like satire.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
lol at thinking Wouldn't It Be Nice is anything but Brian Wilson wanting to bust freely with his girlfriend.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but...what? I mean...what?
I'm guessing Wakanda being an isolationist country appeals to them. They love that "fuck you got mine" attitude. Of course, the movie ends up treating that as a bad thing so just another example of conservatives missing the point.

The Breitbart review is titled:

'Black Panther' Review: The Movie's Hero is Trump, the Villain is Black Lives Matter

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
25. "The Battle of Evermore," by Led Zeppelin.

The lyrics are straight out of Robert Plant's Middle Earth period — there are lines about "ring wraiths" and "magic runes" — but for a song released in 1971, it's hard to miss the Cold War metaphor: "The tyrant's face is red."

LMAO

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I stumbled upon this, and yes its super old, but I just had to share: https://www.nationalreview.com/2006/06/rockin-right-john-j-miller/

if you try hard enough you can make anything... anything really

18. "Cult of Personality," by Living Colour.

A hard-rocking critique of state power, whacking Mussolini, Stalin, and even JFK: "I exploit you, still you love me / I tell you one and one makes three / I'm the cult of personality."

yes its state power theyre critiquing. not anything else. ignore the title of the song and even the examples you just gave

did it mention communism? throw it on there! how about guns? or taxes? what if its about someone sad about abortions? clearly its pro choice then

all the punk bands and him missing the point. plus the fact that they couldnt even come up with 50 rock songs to try and warp they had to end with stand by your man and the reasoning alone is hillary clinton hates it

the stupidity its painful

Cult of personality?! Lol. That song seems it was made about trump and those like him and the people who worship them (or worship any one person). And not in a flattering way. I mean just look at this clip of the lyrics "I exploit you, you still love me. I tell you one and one makes three!" If I didn't know better I'd have thought that's song was explicitly about trump (it's just a really good song about charismatic people who get large followings why it fits so well).

Last edited: