• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The picture below is all of them that I own on Origin. I've played some of them but it's been so long that I honestly don't recall which. My first thought was to just play the latest but I'm not sure that's the wisest choice since I haven't played any in 10+ years. I'm not really concerned about story so I don't need to start from the beginning either.

I was never incredibly good at them tbh but I'm hoping I can maybe get better now since I haven't really played an RTS in forever. So which would you say is a good solid game to jump into after a long, long absence?

Xvel9Dp.jpg

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
I'd start with Red Alert 2 (maybe even 3 if you find 2 too outdaded).
I feel like all of these still hold up: RA2, RA3, C&C3 and C&C Generals. From what I remember, going back to the first ones (C&C 1, C&C TS and RA 1) was harder due to not having some QoL improvements of more recent RTSs.

Recently went through the RA 3 expansion for the first time and had a blast.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Might want to try Empire at war with mods. Same devs if I remember right and has that feel, plus modern mod support

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Probably RA2 because it still looks passable on a modern setup and isn't as over the top ridiculous as later instalments.

I also like Tiberian Sun because of the tech and RA1 for the nostalgia. I hate the spy missions though.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Red Alert 2 was so good, but I am one that loves corny/cheesy dialog with humor mixed in lol. None of the other games for me matched my interest of RA2

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd start with Red Alert 2 (maybe even 3 if you find 2 too outdaded).
I feel like all of these still hold up: RA2, RA3, C&C3 and C&C Generals. From what I remember, going back to the first ones (C&C 1, C&C TS and RA 1) was harder due to not having some QoL improvements of more recent RTSs.

Recently went through the RA 3 expansion for the first time and had a blast.

Tiberian Sun had queueing, so that's where I'd draw the line personally.

Colargogol

Jan 22, 2020
Red Alert 2 was probably the best.
I also have very fond memories of Emperor Battle for Dune.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
When are those Command & Conquer remakes supposed to be coming out? This year?

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's a lot to love in all the C&C games.

I'm old-school, so RA2+Yuri, TS+Firestorm, and Generals+ZH is what I would roll.

Also, you've got Crusader on there, so play that again too.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Thanks all. I remember RA2 seemed to have really good impressions over the years and sounds like a solid place to start.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
C&C3 or RA3...the others are way too old and would look a bit too ugly on modern PCs. If you don't care about that then the other recommendations will work.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Red Alert 2 is probably the best choice because it was a incredible game at the time and also has not aged that badly. The first 2 C&C and RA1 are going to be a tougher sell these days.

C&C3 and RA3 (and their expansions) aren't as good as the old ones but still decent, and a lot more modern so maybe try that also if you are willing. As for C&C4, stay away....

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Red Alert 2. It still holds well and looks good and plays good. Generals is also another great pick.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yeah, Red Alert 2 is probably the best choice because it was a incredible game at the time and also has not aged that badly. The first 2 C&C and RA1 are going to be a tougher sell these days.

C&C3 and RA3 (and their expansions) aren't as good as the old ones but still decent, and a lot more modern so maybe try that also if you are willing. As for C&C4, stay away....
I do remember trying C&C4 when it first came out and I was turned off quite quickly. I don't recall exactly why, but I know I didn't play it more than maybe an hour or two at most...

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Tiberian Sun, RA 2, Generals. These are the classics and Golden Age of C&C

C&C 3 is good, but it started the drift towards more of a StarCraft formula. RA3 is fun, but it was designed with a co-op focus.

We don't talk about C&C4.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
If you can figure out how to get it to run on Windows 10, RA2. I've been trying for years, but can't ever get past the first five minutes of any mission or skirmish before it crashes.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
If you can figure out how to get it to run on Windows 10, RA2. I've been trying for years, but can't ever get past the first five minutes of any mission or skirmish before it crashes.
Was just coming here to ask about alt+tab. I found a way to get the resolution to change and not get the graphics all messed up in the process, but still can't get back to the game after I've tabbed out. I guess I just won't do that and hope I don't forget mid-game.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Red Alert 2 & Yuri is still king. Recently played C&C 3 and it still holds up well too.

If you wanna go really nostalgic and play the first C&C or Red Alert you should use OpenRA

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge and C&C Generals

Those are probably my favourites

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I do remember trying C&C4 when it first came out and I was turned off quite quickly. I don't recall exactly why, but I know I didn't play it more than maybe an hour or two at most...
It was just a terrible game. Some people say it was originally going to be a F2P game and then EA repurposed it... who knows. Whatever the case, it had a awful campaign, no base building or resource gathering, always online, I think a "progression" system based on mission score (can't remember it well) and it was just *very* boring.

Stick with previous ones. Also, as a lot people mentioned, Generals if you don't care about story/campaign. I had a lot of fun playing skirmishes and LAN games with it.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
red alert. spam tesla coils and zap little dudes. there's nothing more fun.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I can't wait for the remaster of CnC1 and RA1. Those games were such big part of my childhood, EA made me real happy for once when they announced them and Petroglyph making them. That Frank Klepacki goodness.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I've played them all many times over and Generals + Zero Hour is my go to for a quick play. I cannot get RA2 to run on my PC without some weird 3rd party hack that I always lose and have to figure out again from scratch.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tiberiun sun and red alert were the series highlights for sure. Play it on a dirt cheap CRT if you can. The FMVs look trash on modern monitors imo

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Played Red alert 2 last year.
The game is still awesome and better than 3.
Campaign is fun, clips are legendary, skirmish is still enjoyable.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
Man. This thread gives me fond memories. C&C was the very first game I owned for PC, my father bought it to me when I was a kid. I was hooked on strategy games after that (and the following years were great for the RTS genre).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Red Alert 2 or Tiberium Sun depending on what setting you like more. These two are easily the best.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Tiberian Sun + Firestorm is the best one.

If that one feels too old, go with C&C 3 Tiberium Wars.