• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for the same of the Lee statue in Richmond. Also, you should date these "Feel good" stories in the title if you're going to make a thing out of them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Look at how cheap that shit looks and sounds

tells you everything about why it is there

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
oh no.

The art.

These monuments were for the most part built way after the Civil War by nostalgic of the Confederacy. They have no historical value whatsoever

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
They also tried to knock down this huge obelisk one in Linn Park, but were unable. The Mayor at the time promised to do so legally, if given 24 hours.

Mayor just put in a 7 pm curfew, and stated the removal of the statue is to keep citizens safe (from falling on themselves) as well as the salvage of the statue if the confederacy wants it back (or a museum). I think the latter bit was spoken while winking, but I was listening on the radio.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oh no.

The art.

These monuments were for the most part built way after the Civil War by nostalgic of the Confederacy. They have no historical value whatsoever
I'm curious to know when this one is from. Because yeah, a majority of them were built as signal beacons afterwards.

They also tried to knock down this huge obelisk one in Lynn Park, but were unable. The Mayor at the time promised to do so legally, if given 24 hours.

Mayor just put in a 7 pm curfew, and stated the removal of the statue is to keep citizens safe (from falling on themselves) as well as the salvage of the statue if the confederacy wants it back (or a museum). I think the latter bit was spoken while winking, but I was listening on the radio.
Honestly, "it's gonna come down anyway, so let's do it officially so that no one gets hurt" is a great political cover.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I remember when that one was taken down a few years ago, and it just totally collapsed because it was so thin and hollow.
Greatness
e9c0rk801mfz.jpg

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Who was the statue representing? Comments in the Twitter feed say it's Thomas Jefferson but wasn't he one of the founders of the USA? Why would that be considered a Confederate monument?

Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
88186275-4e63-45d6-a8a2-135f2a4bb7ab-large16x9_LinnParkstatuedamage.jpg

Yeah, they need bigger chains, and probably put it nearer the top, to get that down.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Who was the statue representing? Comments in the Twitter feed say it's Thomas Jefferson but wasn't he one of the founders of the USA? Why would that be considered a Confederate monument?

Sorry if I'm mistaken.

I've heard it was Charles Linn, who was in the confederate navy.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
As a non-American, it blows my mind that there is such a thing as confederate monuments.
Wasn't the confederacy the side that wanted slavery to keep being a thing? Isn't that flag with the stars in a circle, basically a big "I'm a Racist pig" sign?
How da fuck do you make statues out of that?
And why did it take this protests for it to get removed?
And how many of them are still left?
I have so many questions...

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would love for this to be widespread. I know it's not really feasible because the racists will start coming out with guns. But, man, it'd be fucking great if protests just started smashing every single one of the monuments to racism.

As a non-American, it blows my mind that there is such a thing as confederate monuments.
Wasn't the confederacy the side that wanted slavery to keep being a thing? Isn't that flag with the stars in a circle, basically a big "I'm a Racist pig" sign?

I'm sure there are un-countable numbers of them around. It is fucked up. Every once in a while one will get taken down, legally, and the racists throw a fucking fit about "destroying history".

Interestingly, Robert E. Lee, the commander of the confederate army, was even against monuments being built, essentially saying the country would never heal if we memorialize the civil war. So, even that racist ass mother fucker saw the writing on the wall.

Last edited:

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good. Destroy them all.
They've had years to take down the monuments of hate and put them in museums. Time for them to go.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Half of American leadership is legit the confederacy that was never eradicated. The confederacy runs America right now.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I think the stars in the circle is the original American flag?

This one? That's the Betsy Ross flag, 13 stars for 13 Original States

Confederacy had a Blue X on an Orange background, with stars inside the X portion.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

Southern leaders were allowed to largely remain in power after the Civil War. So nothing fundamentally changed about the politics in those states for a long time. The defeat of the South was glamorized as this "noble" cause. Statues were put up and laws put in place to make it illegal for local governments to take down the statues.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

It's a comedy bit, admittedly, but John Oliver goes a bit into it here, including when most of these were built.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
A monument for the losers.

Good they tore it down but they might just replace it again.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
It's a long and complicated history. In short, a desire for reconciliation after the war and deep systemic culture of white supremacy led to pro-Confederate supporters being able to turn a defeat into a propaganda victory.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A not-small number of Americans still fully support what the Confederacy stood for. A co-worker of mine has a Confederate flag symbol on her front license plate. We work with many African Americans, which just shows you how comfortable we've made blatant racism in this country.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I cant quote all of you, but thanks for the responses. It's kinda depressing that the answer boils down to: "Cuz 'Merica"

I think the stars in the circle is the original American flag?
This one? That's the Betsy Ross flag, 13 stars for 13 Original States
Confederacy had a Blue X on an Orange background, with stars inside the X portion.
I was talking about this one, but yeah, I guess the one with the blue cross is the most used, nowadays.
1024px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861%E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

It's a comedy bit, admittedly, but John Oliver goes a bit into it here, including when most of these were built.

I do love some John Oliver, thanks friend, I'll give it a watch.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I cant quote all of you, but thanks for the responses. It's kinda depressing that the answer boils down to: "Cuz 'Merica"

I was talking about this one, but yeah, I guess the one with the blue cross is the most used, nowadays.
1024px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861%E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

I do love some John Oliver, thanks friend, I'll give it a watch.
oh yeah, forgot that one existed.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I wanted to say to melt them down and turn them into something useful, like parts to help improve infrastructure or something, but that'd be sort pointless considering people in this thread pointing out what shit quality and materials these things were made of...

just like the confederacy!

Sick burn, self.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This should be the beginning of turning the southern dream of another confederacy into ashes. Destroy everything they hold dear about the "old south". Monuments destroyed, park and street names changed, and most importantly: history books reflecting history accurately.

The south needs to be put down for good.

A worthwhile thread appears at the right time.

giphy.gif

State AG Approves Removal of Confederate Statue

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
https://abc3340.com/news/local/birm...-can-be-removed-alabama-attorney-general-says

Birmingham's Confederate monument can be removed, Alabama attorney general says

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBMA) — Birmingham can remove its Confederate monument downtown at Linn Park if it chooses to, by law, Alabama's attorney general said Monday.

Quote from State AG Steve Marshall
Should the City of Birmingham proceed with the removal of the monument in question, based upon multiple conversations I have had today, city leaders understand I will perform the duties assigned to me by the Act to pursue a new civil complaint against the City. In the aftermath of last night's violent outbreak, I have offered the City of Birmingham the support and resources of my office to restore peace to the City.

tenor.gif