• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Even fired back after fuckface mentioned her at the white supremacist open mic night.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
YTLsmdf.gif

Rent-free

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
AOC name dropping KPOP stans is some crazy shit. She knows. Memes and momentum are actually super important.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC is going after the all important Kpop vote for her 2024 run. Just imagine how flooded Twitter will be with endless STAN AOC tweets lol

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
She had both a more relevant degree and more political experience than Trump when they were each elected. FOH.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing scares that fragile old white man more than a confident empowered woman of color.

She's the boogeyman that sleeps under his bed at night and I love it.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
AOC name dropping KPOP stans is some crazy shit. She knows. Memes and momentum are actually super important.
Yeah, AOC really represents a new era of representatives. She's tapped into the community in so many ways, plus she's smart, passionate, and courageous. Her charisma and excitement also take her a step beyond and feels like a breath of fresh air from so many politicians who just seem tired and stuck in the same political games.

I'm usually cautious of really buying into the hype around politicians, but AOC really has made an impression on me and I can see why the left loves her and the right already hates her. Her star is shining bright.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they're not fooling anyone when they've been signal boosting her the last two years. They're afraid that she could really be a force to be reckoned with one day.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't hold my breath at the DNC ever letting that happen. Especially not if Biden wins.

If you thought Bernie was unpopular, moderate voters will run straight away from her. Progressive candidates have no chance in this country.

I don't agree at all. Bernie was a bad candidate multiple times that I'm still convinced couldn't have beaten trump on his best day. If in a decade aoc wanted to run, I think she would be welcome with open arms.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you thought Bernie was unpopular, moderate voters will run straight away from her. Progressive candidates have no chance in this country.

It took less than a decade for the tea party conservatives to completely take over the Republican Party. We need to quit approaching progress from the top down, and focus more on building a progressive foundation at the state and local levels. Somebody like AOC gets elected when people in "swing" states get comfortable with progressive platforms, and that only happens if we show up for primaries and midterms. Additionally, millennials and zoomers are considerably leftward of the rest of the country. Most of us have shifted left with age, not right. I know I have. As boomers die off, progressivism will be inevitable, and AOC (or another progressive) will have a viable path to the presidency.

I don't agree at all. Bernie was a bad candidate multiple times that I'm still convinced couldn't have beaten trump on his best day. If in a decade aoc wanted to run, I think she would be welcome with open arms.

AOC wins in 2032, hands down. Millennials will be middle-aged and hitting their 50+ years, and zoomers will be well established in their careers and lives.

All indications point towards a hard shift left for this country, within a generation. That's why Republicans are fighting so hard to install hack conservative loyalist judges at every level, and why they're fighting to suppress the vote. They know they're on the clock and they're unwilling to adapt their platform to new constituents.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm, the chaser to my vote for her today.

I am meh on Bernie but very much in on her. She seems to be completely antagonistic to the right, well-regarded in my district, building bridges in DC fairly quickly, and handled the balance of media and policy talk fairly well.

As someone in her district, vocal Sanders supporters can paint you as being very left, whereas being a vocal AOC supporter does not. She has leftist bonafides but moderate, populist imaging. This I think puts her in a really interesting place.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC wins in 2032, hands down. Millennials will be middle-aged and hitting their 50+ years, and zoomers will be well established in their careers and lives.

All indications point towards a hard shift left for this country, within a generation. That's why Republicans are fighting so hard to install hack conservative loyalist judges at every level, and why they're fighting to suppress the vote. They know they're on the clock and they're unwilling to adapt their platform to new constituents.
I fully agree with you. I see her or a similar candidate doing great.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017

This. AOC is seriously the best thing that happened to the progressive movement in the US; a smart and blunt politician who doesn't have the air of anger and desperation seep whenever they talk.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It took less than a decade for the tea party conservatives to completely take over the Republican Party. We need to quit approaching progress from the top down, and focus more on building a progressive foundation at the state and local levels. Somebody like AOC gets elected when people in "swing" states get comfortable with progressive platforms, and that only happens if we show up for primaries and midterms. Additionally, millennials and zoomers are considerably leftward of the rest of the country. Most of us have shifted left with age, not right. I know I have. As boomers die off, progressivism will be inevitable, and AOC (or another progressive) will have a viable path to the presidency.

Basically my take.

There was a naive hope that with Bernie we could've accelerated America into a more progressive future right now. That clearly isn't the case, but that also doesn't mean that that future isn't possible. That means we have to go the long way around, i.e. spending a decade+ voting in progressive candidates and encouraging progressive policies.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to whichever mod fixed the typo in the thread title. Had a tab open, noticed it, refreshed and it was fixed.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I get why you say that. But isn't the logical next step when the country sees just how crazy one side is, like Republicans, to shift over to the other side? You could argue she is coming up at the perfect time about now. Idk, I'm still hopeful even though you probably are completely right.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think AOC and other progressive of this new generation understand the importance of mobilizing the securing votes for local elections. It seems like the Tea Party laid the blueprint for how to shift a focus within a party in the U.S. and Bernie's 2016 campaign was a spark on the left for what a new movement could look like. I think part of the energy and mobilization is what helped the midterms have some pretty surprising flips and gains in the House (something I had heard conventional wisdom was saying a decade or so ago that the Republicans had locked down due to gerrymandering, voter suppression, etc. and Democrats couldn't compete with their gameplan since they focused so much of their energy on national elections and swing states), but the fact that they did it, I think people don't give enough credit to the mobilized people helping to make it happen and put so much of the emphasis on Trump pushing people away. The thing is that there were plenty of examples of diverse representation in politicians getting elected, progressive candidates pulling ahead of moderate Democrats, and Dems making a mark in deep red races in Republican strongholds, which also would be unthinkable several years ago.

Also, many zoomers have gotten old enough and informed enough about politics and the world to really start to give a shit, and the shift has helped to shake many millenials out of their apathy. AOC really does represent this sort of nexus between the two generations, and came at a crucial time to help energize young voters that a change can happen within the system. Just personally, AOC is one of those politicians where I listen to her and actually feel like she has a perspective that gels with my worldview; like she "gets" me. It seems hokey to personalize a politician and think of them in those warm and fuzzy terms (and it definitely is something people shouldn't get too comfortable with since no one is perfect and we don't really need to be putting politicians on an untouchable pedestal, no matter how good they are), but at the same time, she represents a voice and perspective that we seldom see given a platform in the media to the same degree, and I can see all the qualities that she is able to check off as not just a person with good ideas, but also with a personality and savvy that makes her a force to be reckoned with.

Even if AOC doesn't jump on the path to an eventual presidency, I think she represents the type of politician I'd like to see more of, and I think she could definitely help to influence others like her to get involved in politics when they didn't think politics was for someone like them.

Oct 26, 2017
I get why you say that. But isn't the logical next step when the country sees just how crazy one side is, like Republicans, to shift over to the other side? You could argue she is coming up at the perfect time about now. Idk, I'm still hopeful even though you probably are completely right.
Bush was awful. Trump still happened.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Im not convinced simply because she doesnt have to run as soon as shes eligible. She could run in 15-20 years and do two terms when the electorate is.... slightly different. I hate to say it but sure maybe older voters wont like her today, but everyone has a lifespan. Eventually boomers wont be the biggest voting block anymore.

Cant stop time.... Eventually Millenials will be in that spot, and I dont see them being half as hostile to her as Boomers would be. Although I do expect Republicans to spend these years smearing AOC all they can, just like they did hillary.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
She's the greatest thing to happen to American politics in decades. There's zero doubt in my mind that she will be President one day. Boomers have only got 10-20 years left if they're lucky. America will see a big shift to the left once they finally gtfo.