• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Grow Home or its sequel Grow Up

Play as a slightly-uncoordinated little robot to climb up through a couple layers of low-poly floating islands to make it back to your ship (who's also kind of like the robot's mom).

Some of the times I've been most stressed these games have helped a lot to just get back to some of the things I've liked most in games: no-stress exploration, experimentation, and just being in a world that's a joy to move around in.

giphy.gif

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Cells feels really good to play with a controller. But maybe it's not so feel-good...

Stardew Valley has feel-goods off the charts! Buuut I haven't played it with a controller unfortunately.

Sep 7, 2018
Golf Story. Pretty much play at your own pace, not really stressful... fun story line. :) Had started this a LONG time ago, and finally got back to it recently. :) If you want some bash em up fun, Travis Strikes Again is good as well. I loved the game... and it's not too taxing, especially on lower difficulty. Story is... crazy Suda51 fun stuff. :D

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
Chivalry. I don't know why especially given the type of game. If the developers was able to curb the influx of hackers then it would have remained so. Hopefully the upcoming Mordhau can top it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Take your pick of the Lego games. Relaxing and strangely compelling.

LEGO: The Hobbit in particular has a lovely recreation of Hobbiton that you can just roam around and play minigames in. Add on top of that Howard Shore's music from the films and you get a super chill experience.

LEGO: The Lord of the Rings is a better game overall, but The Hobbit has the better (and more expansive) rendition of Hobbiton.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Grow Home was my goto "chill" game for a while. Just dick around and enjoy the cute graphics. Basically any early 2010s late 2000s indie games too. Gish, World of Goo, shit like that.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
For me, lately, it's been My Time At Portia. Game is very low key, relaxing, charming. There aren't many time or difficulty constraints, you just sort of wear away your days whacking creatures, harvesting stuff and crafting things.

Stardew Valley hits many of the same aspects, too, and is arguably the better game. Yet I don't find it quite as mellow as Portia.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strangely, I like playing Skyrim when I'm half asleep. Those walks are comforting.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
man, I'm on the same page as OP - katamari is an absolute go-to when needing some zen.

flower is also good, i love arcadey stuff like cosmic smash (DC) and either building (actraiser, suikoden) or better yet, destruction (blast corps, hulk: ultimate destruction)

also seconding the nod to warioware

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Gris filled this emotion space for me recently. It was my 'I need to go to sleep but not yet' lullaby game and was totally magical

Mar 29, 2018
Which recent Lego games have decent single player? They always seem mostly designed around co-op.
They all actually have pretty great singleplayer. Co-op is just always there, bolted on.

I'd recommend LEGO City: Undercover (preferably on PC) and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (which is arguably one of the best superhero games around, super crazy fun, good open world and ambitious + fun as hell roster of super heroes).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling worn down by the week and I'm in dire need of a new happy and fun and satisfying game. A game with no annoying sticking points that I can play while half asleep.

Some previous feel-good games:

• Katamari Demacy
• Mario Odyssey
• Monster Boy (although the bosses kinda spoiled it)
• Astro Bot Rescue Mission, if I can deal with the hassle of VR

I was hoping Donut County would be this, but the writing didn't click and the levels felt too simple.

What are your recommendations for single player feel good fun stuff? Short is good. Any platform is okay, so long as it works well with gamepad and a sleepy player.

Edit: I tried playing more Diablo 3 last night but the combat felt like a mess and there was a bit too much inventory hassle.
They say Mario Odyssey is weaponized joy in a cartridge and to that I say I see your Mario Odyssey and raise you Mario Galaxy.

Seriously OP if you haven't played it yet and own a Wii or WiiU get that shit now.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Keep the recommendations coming! This is a good feel good thread! :)

I bought Spyro on recommendation of this thread, and that's definitely scratching the itch of lazy satisfying gameplay!

I also downloaded my PS+ copy of Tearaway Unfolded. I played the Vita game for a while but stopped, so maybe I will do better this time. No hurry though!

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild does it for me, I've completed the game a long time ago but here and there I just start it and mess around, sometimes I just listen to the ambient sound. It's pretty good. Green color is good for you while blue is associated with sadness. So try playing a game that is mostly green and red rather than blue.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
How about some Lucasarts point and click adventures like Sam & Max Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle? They've got some dark humor, but it's not mean-spirited and they're both hilarious/ Being Lucasarts games means you can't die so I'd say they're very relaxing games to play while sleepy.

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
Give yooka laylee and hat in time a try. Platinum'd both which is something I rarely do.

Whichever game you choose, get tetris effect too!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've been designing maps in Wargroove to unwind. Music so good and tools are so easy.

Chroma Squad is also fun and quirky and also has an editor when doing missions is too taxing.

Colorful sprite work and great music are my go-tos.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Wandersong
Brothers
Oxenfree

The last 2 isn't exactly cheery, but the presentation really makes you feel good.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Im about to start ni no kuni for this exact reason. Maybe its not always 'feel good' in terms of the story, but most of the time its fun and cheerful.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Maybe Undertale? It's one of the best feel-good games out there, depending on how you play. Some of the boss fights can get pretty intense though, both in story and difficulty.