• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
FedEx Corp. FDX -0.98% will deliver packages seven days a week starting next year, adding an extra operating day to accommodate America's online shopping habits.

The delivery giant also plans to bring to customers' doorsteps many of the packages it currently drops at local post offices. The shift will seek to lower costs by building density along FedEx Ground routes, while also shifting some two million packages daily out of the U.S. Postal Service's network.

The changes aim to serve an e-commerce shopping market where consumer habits don't mesh with working schedules, because many deliveries arrive at homes while shoppers are at work. It also adds capacity to FedEx's network by using existing facilities an extra day to handle what the company expects will be a doubling of small package shipments in the U.S. by 2026.

I'm loving this personally. I can't get everything delivered at work.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, did I misread or are they going to start delivering the Smart Post stuff themselves instead of dropping it off at the post office?

I hope that doesn't mean the price is increasing since it's a cheaper alternative.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
So...now they'll just be like every other major delivery service.

Congrats to Fedex for finally joining the 21st century!

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome news! I hope couriers follow suit here in NZ. I hate how the whole business world basically stops for two days each week.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Congrats Fedex. Join the likes of everyone ever after you and before you understanding people want stuff on the weekends too.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Employees are fucked. I remember when I worked for them they arbitrarily decided one day that everyone had to work 6 days a week because they were behind on shipments. They won't hire more people, they'll just make people work longer hours and more days. They won't care if people quit, because they just throw fresh bodies at it and only pay them $10/hr. Same thing with the post office. When I worked for USPS, I only had one day off in the first 30 days I worked there and worked 6-7 days a week when I was working there.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
really great for fed ex workers! the five day work week is for losers! they should strive to be winners!

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what their definition of 'delivering" is. Ive had a ton of trouble with them messing up deliveries, or failing to knock/ring and just leaving the package somewhere for the wind to take it.

Company policy also seems to be that getting within a mile of your door counts as a delivery attempt.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are these drivers and workers getting paid extra (or are they hiring more) and allowed to unionize?

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Extra day of "sorry we missed you" notice stuck on your door or mailbox. They'll probably have worse delivery service cuz nobody want to work Sundays either.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK.

This better not mean that Amazon will start using them for Sunday deliveries.

I kinda liked getting my packages on the intended day of delivery instead of only on the third and final delivery attempt.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting. I hate to say the idea of not having to explain to customers that their packages don't make progress towards delivery on the weekends is exciting, but I do worry about what this means for workers and also how unsustainable our consumer habits have become as the world inches closer and closer to disaster via climate change.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. What is wrong with them delivering all 7 days a week?
Depends, some workers my be forced to work days a week. I think it's ground that carriers have to own their own trucks, many of them can't afford to pay subs to work for them when they need or want time off. If ground goes 7 days many of those drivers may be fucked.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The proper way for a management to handle this would be to start doing a rotating schedule. But they probably aren't gonna do this...

Oct 28, 2017
God created the Earth as we know it in 6 days. And on the 7th day, he rested and got his Fed Ex delivery of free 1-day shipping from Amazon Prime.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
It might be worse for the workers is why.

Company announces new pro-consumer policies
Consumers cheer
The pro-consumer polices come at the cost of extended work hours for the same pay for the workers of said company

Rinse and repeat.
They probably hire people part time to work in the weekends.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
Are you talking about UPS or USPS? USPS delivers on Sundays at like fucking 6 AM the bastards.

LOL. I currently work for USPS. I actually just switched from working at a station to working in a large processing plant. I work in automation and only deal with letters now. No more lifting those heavy ass Amazon pantry boxes.

Anyway, when I worked the parcel side of things, my co-workers would call out so often, especially on Sundays, the supervisors and the delivery drivers would be the only ones sorting the mail (scanning and sorting is clerk work). Sorting of Amazon is supposed to be finished by 5AM on Sundays. The fact that you get yours at 6AM means the PSEs and CCAs are actually coming to work. You should be happy.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
LOL. I currently work for USPS. I actually just switched from working at a station to working in a large processing plant. I work in automation and only deal with letters now. No more lifting those heavy ass Amazon pantry boxes.

Anyway, when I worked the parcel side of things, my co-workers would call out so often, especially on Sundays, the supervisors and the delivery drivers would be the only ones sorting the mail (scanning and sorting is clerk work). Sorting of Amazon is supposed to be finished by 5AM on Sundays. The fact that you get yours at 6AM means the PSEs and CCAs are actually coming to work. You should be happy.

You have my gratitude. I worked for USPS as a temp letter carrier and driver. That job sucked. As much of a disaster as it is, the post office is pretty good at delivering things on time in NYC

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
So glad I left Fedex a couple years ago, the way they treat their drivers is completely awful.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Deliver me shit on christmas day, I dont give a shit about your families
I'm all for it. People like to bring up the holiday argument towards delivery people at USPS etc. but they don't realize people still work at those facilities on sunday and christmas and thanksgiving. Planes and trucks are still transporting packages those days via plane/truck. Nothing actually changes on these days outside not being able to get mail/packages.

There's no point to not deliver stuff on these days as it's all processed and shipped anyways. The only difference is a few employees at each facility don't drive that day.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Employees are fucked. I remember when I worked for them they arbitrarily decided one day that everyone had to work 6 days a week because they were behind on shipments. They won't hire more people, they'll just make people work longer hours and more days. They won't care if people quit, because they just throw fresh bodies at it and only pay them $10/hr. Same thing with the post office. When I worked for USPS, I only had one day off in the first 30 days I worked there and worked 6-7 days a week when I was working there.

UPS unionized so it helped out alot since then.They pay a shit load better than fedex does anyway, almost double in some cases ( I made 65,000 there outside of overtime when I worked there two years ago)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
UPS unionized so it helped out alot since then.They pay a shit load better than fedex does anyway, almost double in some cases ( I made 65,000 there outside of overtime when I worked there two years ago)

FedEx used to pay their management a lot. I had a childhood friend who's father retired early thanks to working as a manager for FedEx from like ages 40-55 or so. He could put in all the overtime he wanted and they happily paid him. I remember my friend showing me his tax info one year for bragging basically, dude earned something like $113k. That was a lot of money back in the day. Hell it's still a lot now.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna go with no.
monoclepop.gif