• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
bujfponnpapzn9qb5hlf.png

A federal judge in Georgia on Monday ordered two counties to reverse a decision removing more than 4,000 voters from the rolls ahead of the Jan. 5 runoff elections that will decide control of the U.S. Senate.

The judge, Leslie Abrams Gardner — the sister of former gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, a prominent ally of President-elect Joe Biden who has led voter registration efforts across the state — concluded that the counties appeared to have improperly relied on unverified change-of-address data to invalidate registrations in the two counties.

The bulk of the registrations that the counties sought to rescind, more than 4,000, were in Muscogee County, which Biden won handily in November. An additional 150 were from Ben Hill County, which Trump won by a wide margin.

The suit, brought by Majority Forward, represented by National Democratic Party attorney Marc Elias, followed an effort to challenge the lengthy roster of voters simply because their registrations appeared to match U.S. Postal Service change-of address records. Voting officials in the two counties agreed to remove the voters, despite warnings from Democrats that such postal data is not a reliable or conclusive indicator that a voter has given up their local residence.

After Gardner's ruling, Elias hailed the decision as a "blow to GOP voter suppression."

"We continue to monitor how other Georgia counties respond to the suppression scheme," he added. "Where necessary, we will sue and we will win."

The evidence to challenge the 4,000 registrations in Muscogee County was particularly sparse. The challenge was lodged Dec. 14 by a local voter named Ralph Russell who alleged that he had compared evidence from publicly accessible voter registration databases to prove that these voters had moved out of Georgia.
www.politico.com

Judge blocks voter purge in 2 Georgia counties

Judge Leslie Abrams Gardner, sister of Stacey Abrams, rejected a call for her to recuse.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Real Talk Georgia would never even have been in contention without Stacey and now I guess her family. They are Georgia royalty to me at this point.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
What's this bullshit about recusal.

Trump lastest scotus pick didn't give two shits to do so when asked about the possibility but this judge has too. Republican hypocrisy nothing like it.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I fail to see how your sibling being a voting rights advocate means you can't rule on cases involving voting rights. If she was the plaintiff/defendant, sure, but that's way too broad of a brush.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
What is the relevance of her being Stacy Abram's sister? What are you implying?
.........I'm not implying anything?

What's with your accusatory tone?

If anything, it's cool to see that efforts to fight voter suppression extend beyond Stacey in the family.

FOH
camby.png

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So a local nut can just walk up and disenfranchise a bunch of people

The challenge was lodged Dec. 14 by a local voter named Ralph Russell who alleged that he had compared evidence from publicly accessible voter registration databases to prove that these voters had moved out of Georgia.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Republican Party is a dead man walking.
I wish I still believed this. 10 years ago I thought No way the GOP is able to sustain itself the old racists are finally dying off. I thought the newer generations wouldn't fall down that same path of bigotry. Boy was I wrong. Even now there are so many young angry white men. Shits never ending.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wish I still believed this. 10 years ago I thought No way the GOP is able to sustain itself the old racists are finally dying off. I thought the newer generations wouldn't fall down that same path of bigotry. Boy was I wrong. Even now there are so many young angry white men. Shits never ending.
White Grievance is an effective strategy unfortunately.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I appreciate your optimism, but I'll believe it when I see it.
It's nice to want things, but Republicans just shit all over Democrats in the 2020 election at literally every level of government except for the Executive branch.

I could very well be wrong, but I feel like Trump is peak late 20th century GOP. They're using all of the old tricks but maxed out. No diet racism dog whistles, but blow horns and concentration camps. Constant lying. Voter suppression to the max.

It worked in 2016, but it didn't work in 2020. It was close, but I subscribe to the cult leader turnout theory. If you examine actual policy, they're totally lost.

Arizona and George will be blue states in 2030. Florida will continue to be a tossup, and Ohio will be lost, but we should start seeing Texas in play in the 2030s.

The only way I see the GOP being viable long term is to soften the racism and win over white Hispanics.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the Governor's Race and limited polling option shenanigans fired people up.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We need someone like Stacey Abrams in every southern state. I'm sure there's actually more Dem voters but with voter suppression we would never know.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.........I'm not implying anything?

What's with your accusatory tone?

If anything, it's cool to see that efforts to fight voter suppression extend beyond Stacey in the family.

FOH

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you but what I read sounded like what conservatives are whining about right now: that being her sister is somehow a conflict of interest.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
No they didn't. Who won the House?

Democrats lost at least 23 (possibly 25) house seats in 2020 compared to 2018, which is a pretty stunning reversal since virtually every presidential cycle the party that wins the White House tends to expand its lead in Congress. Their majority in the house went from 35 seat majority to a 12 seat majority.

In the past as well mid term elections have gone against the incumbent, with the opposition winning more seats in the House - Republicans won under Clinton, Democrats won under Bush, Republicans won under Obama, and Democrats won under Trump (2018). It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2022.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats lost at least 23 (possibly 25) house seats in 2020 compared to 2018, which is a pretty stunning reversal since virtually every presidential cycle the party that wins the White House tends to expand its lead in Congress. Their majority in the house went from 35 seat majority to a 12 seat majority.
Right so the Dems have the majority. Which is my point.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Cue my dumbass father-in-law claiming this is fraud.

I'm about to the point where families shouldn't exist. Everyone around me is just deranged. I need to move lol.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Right so the Dems have the majority. Which is my point.

Well the other point I think the poster you replied to was making was that democrats lost in a lot of (local) state races, as legislative chambers in many states stayed or went Republican. Democrats failed to flip a single legislative body they had targeted. The republicans will control re-districting which will hurt even more 2022 chances.

www.theguardian.com

As Biden won the presidency, Republicans cemented their grip on power for the next decade

Democrats lost big in state elections which could cost them when new political maps are drawn

Republicans control the governorship and legislation in Georgia and you can be pretty sure they will work hard to redistrict the state to minimize Democrat chances in the future.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
It's nice to want things, but Republicans just shit all over Democrats in the 2020 election at literally every level of government except for the Executive branch.

Georgia's Democratic infrastructure is solid and delivered wins in the past and black voters are turning out in record numbers in the runoff.