• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Good news.

MADISON, Wis. -- A federal judge ruled Monday that absentee ballots in battleground Wisconsin can be counted up to six days after the Nov. 3 presidential election as long as they are postmarked by Election Day.

The highly anticipated ruling, unless overturned, means that the outcome of the presidential race in Wisconsin likely will not be known for days after polls close. Under current law, the deadline for returning an absentee ballot to have it counted is 8 p.m. on Election Day.

Democrats and their allies sued to extend the deadline in the key swing state.

U.S. District Judge William Conley granted a large portion of their requests, issuing a preliminary injunction that was expected to be appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. He put the ruling on hold for seven days to give the other side a chance to seek an emergency appeal.

President Donald Trump won Wisconsin by fewer than 23,000 votes in 2016. Polls show Democrat Joe Biden with a slight lead, but both sides are expecting another tight race. Biden wrapped up a campaign stop in northeast Wisconsin about an hour before the ruling was released. Trump held a rally in the state last week.

The Republican National Committee, the Wisconsin GOP and Wisconsin's Republican legislators argued that current absentee voting regulations should be left in place, saying people have plenty of time to obtain ballots and get them back to clerks by Election Day.

The Democratic National Committee, the state Democratic Party and groups including the League of Women Voters and Disability Rights Wisconsin filed a series of lawsuits to make absentee voting and registration easier so people won't have to go to the polls and risk catching the coronavirus.

Conley, an appointee of former President Barack Obama, also agreed with Democrats to lift the Oct. 14 deadline for by-mail and electronic voter registration. The judge extended it until Oct. 21.

abcnews.go.com

Judge extends Wisconsin absentee cutoff 6 days post election

A federal judge has ruled that absentee ballots in battleground Wisconsin can be counted up to six days after the Nov. 3 presidential election as long as they are postmarked by Election Day

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is good news.

... I certainly hope that WI is called before then, though. Too much stress.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, okay. I feel like that's still too short because all votes should be counted. There shouldn't be any kind of "we ran out of time bummer that's too bad" when that may as well be my vote that still needed to be counted, deciding a fucking representative for years to come.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
As the days go on, I'm becoming slightly more hopeful about how this next election will turn out. I still have a lot of worries about the process in which we're voting, but things seems to be falling in place for the better. I just hope the momentum keeps up.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
So they just have to stagger and stammer for six days to try and hold them up through little local schemes?

Just because they can be counted X days after election day doesn't disqualify the real risk of an effort to slow down the counts so they can race out the clock...

Oct 25, 2017
Good, ballots postmarked by Election Day should count since the actual delivery is out of the voters' control. Six days doesn't quite meet that standard, but it's a good move in the right direction.

Trump's cheating scheme is falling apart.
It's not really a "cheating scheme," the Election Day cut-off (as bullshit as it is) is normal WI law.

so this 6-day period is not too short? This is good news?
Well, without this ruling, the standard in WI is that the ballot has to be in the election officials' hands by Election Day, so this is a huge improvement over that.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Good, ballots postmarked by Election Day should count since the actual delivery is out of the voters' control. Six days doesn't quite meet that standard, but it's a good move in the right direction.

It's not really a "cheating scheme," the Election Day cut-off (as bullshit as it is) is normal WI law.

Well, without this ruling, the standard in WI is that the ballot has to be in the election officials' hands by Election Day, so this is a huge improvement over that.
Cheating as in fucking with the USPS.