• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

A federal judge on Tuesday rejected the Department of Justice's (DOJ) effort to intervene on President Trump's behalf in a lawsuit over a writer's accusation that he raped her in the mid-1990s.

Judge Lewis Kaplan, of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, ruled the president is not an employee of the government and that the allegations don't regard conduct in his official capacity.

E. Jean Carroll, a former magazine columnist, sued Trump in his personal capacity for defamation last year after he publicly denied her allegation of rape. Kaplan's ruling means Trump cannot use the DOJ to defend him in the case.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
With Trump scolding Barr for not imprisoning his enemies, I would imagine that good old Bill isn't exactly swinging for the fences for Donald any more.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The "DoJ defense" was another attempt at presidential immunity. The case would need to be thrown out if the judge had ruled otherwise.

I wonder how petitioning the SC would work in this case, as Trump may not be in charge of the executive (and the DoJ) for very long.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they knew they were never going to win this. Its just another way to stall this and all of Trump's other court battles.