• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Great!

Bernie is though. Even better!!!
So you should probably get used to people bringing up the same points bernie would be (and will continue to) going forward because he's not actually the mother brain of the hive mind. If your future arguments are going to be "bernie lost", i fear they might not work as well as you hope.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero faith in our current administration to allow the Fed to do their jobs in a reasonable manner tbh, but you'd think with all the stress testing we've done over the last decade and a bit people would have a better understanding of when and how much to inject... I dunno, seems premature to me, driven more by Trumps need to try SOMETHING rather than an actual need for liquidity.

the fed doesn't answer to the president. just look at what trump has had to say about the chairman's use of monetary policy during his term.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The Fed is not controlled by Congress as a note. Nor the President, although Trump has been pressuring it for a while now.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I wonder how effective it would be to invest $1.5 trillion into COVID19 vaccine research? I honestly don't know if pharmaceutical research is primarily money or manpower limited.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This will do absolutely nothing. This isn;t purely a financial problem, it is a people/manpower problem.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you should probably get used to people bringing up the same points bernie would be (and will continue to) going forward because he's not actually the mother brain of the hive mind. If your future arguments are going to be "bernie lost", i fear they might not work as well as you hope.
I do not think Bernie would be so irresponsible as to deliberately conflate monetary policy aimed at maintaining liquidity with government appropriations.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Thank you to the like 3 people in this thread that has explained this properly. Seems a lot more reasonable now, albeit still an overreaction.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
the fed doesn't answer to the president. just look at what trump has had to say about the chairman's use of monetary policy during his term.
it doesn't answer to the president, true, but the president appoints the fed chairperson and they have been complicit in inflating this market to the bursting point with their irresponsible bull market rate cuts

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Government stimulus is how you get checks sent to people.

Monetary policy achieved by buying/selling bonds on the market is not in any way equivalent. For reference, there is 1.75 Trillion in physical cash circulating right now. The banking system creates a force multiplier on that amount making the amount of effective cash circulating much, much higher, especially in our modern electronic world.

I've been attempting to do that. They are not paying money directly to banks. They are increasing the amount of money in circulation. There is a gigantic difference between the two things - they're not directly paying or subsidizing anything here.

Money is the medium of exchange, it's the blood circulating via transactions with things being bought and sold. When an economic shocks hit, the speed at which money is circulating will drop, and this risks seizing the markets up completely like a heart attack. Inserting more liquidity via additional cash into the market temporarily is not "paying the rich", it's pumping more blood in to help make sure the heart attack isn't fatal.

(has econ degree)
Question since it's unfortunately been a few years since I've been in an econ class so my memory is hazy. This is gonna be a doozey on inflation right?

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
In 2008 a lot of companies went bankrupt over night as they suddenly didn't have access to funds to cover short term expenses, this is to prevent that happening again if I understand correctly.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Oh the US, where you can;t find money for univeral healthcare but you can for this. Joke of a country.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
lmao the market jumped 1500 points and dropped right away. Feds got cucked. Paid too much for a handjob.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question since it's unfortunately been a few years since I've been in an econ class so my memory is hazy. This is gonna be a doozey on inflation right?
No, these funds aren't going into general circulation where they'd be amplified by the force multipier. If the Fed were literally spending 1.5T directly in the open market, that would be an inflation disaster.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think Bernie would be so irresponsible as to deliberately conflate monetary policy aimed at maintaining liquidity with government appropriations.
It would be irresponsible to talk about what money gets allocated where during a presidential debate and tie it back to your central campaign message that is at an intersection of economics and healthcare during a pandemic and a precarious stock market, but i like bernie because he's a rebel like that.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
lmao the market jumped 1500 points and dropped right away. Feds got cucked. Paid too much for a handjob.

the real effects of this won't be felt until further down the road. it's basically an insurance policy to give banks a lot of leeway to adjust to however the market goes during corona's run.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
not likely. money velocity decreases so we increase the money supply. If the velocity falls and the money supply doesn't increase then we'd be facing deflation
Oh shit I forgot about that this was a thing. I need to re read my Econ books. Been 3 years since I last read them and I already feel alliterate when the fed does anything.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to banks and other financial institutions directly in order to make sure this short term trading market doesn't seize up. It's not going to be in normal circulation and causing mass inflation as though it were them doubling the amount of physical currency in circulation, which is how you would get hyperinflation. The money will be going back to the fed after this is over and they can retract it, not sticking around.
short term trading, so the repos?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want my tax dollars going to this. Why should I- an honest, hard-working American- have to bail out people who made bad decisions?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But everything else is still in play, a recession being the big one.

Yes, this won't stop a recession. We're just not going to have a recession because securities can't be converted to cash fast enough

I don't want my tax dollars going to this. Why should I- an honest, hard-working American- have to bail out people who made bad decisions?

No tax dollars are going to this. Really no dollars are going to it, but certainly not tax dollars

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Government stimulus is how you get checks sent to people.

Monetary policy achieved by buying/selling bonds on the market is not in any way equivalent. For reference, there is 1.75 Trillion in physical cash circulating right now. The banking system creates a force multiplier on that amount making the amount of effective cash circulating much, much higher, especially in our modern electronic world.

I've been attempting to do that. They are not paying money directly to banks. They are increasing the amount of money in circulation. There is a gigantic difference between the two things - they're not directly paying or subsidizing anything here.

Money is the medium of exchange, it's the blood circulating via transactions with things being bought and sold. When an economic shocks hit, the speed at which money is circulating will drop, and this risks seizing the markets up completely like a heart attack. Inserting more liquidity via additional cash into the market temporarily is not "paying the rich", it's pumping more blood in to help make sure the heart attack isn't fatal.

(has econ degree)

I'm just going to quote this so people see it on every page and that I don't also have to go into detail.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't have free testing for every citizen nor temporary paid sick leave but sure, we can do this.

Fuck this stupid ass country.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh the US, where you can;t find money for univeral healthcare but you can for this. Joke of a country.
The raw cost of M4A is estimated in the ballpark of 3.4 trillion annually. It's one thing to dump 1.5 trillion in the market as a one-time emergency and another thing entirely to rework the financial and healthcare systems to support those costs annually.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Could a moderator please pin/highlight Kirblar's posts on this?

I understand we have a nice "the-sky-is-falling" circle jerk going, but it might be helpful to get everyone to read them so we could have a sane conversation about what is actually happening?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
short term trading, so the repos?
Yeah, in part, I don't think it's the only aspect they're targeting as 198B of the total 1.5T. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/fed...-short-term-repo-bank-funding-operations.html
Because that's not what's going on at all whatsoever. This is making sure there's enough currency circulating to compensate for a slowdown caused by reduced trading volume. The fed doesn't spend money on things directly, they manage the amount circulating.

edit: sarcasm was way too real unfortunately.