• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

"Do you think we are already in recession?" -
@savannahguthrie
"We may well be in a recession. Again, I would point to the difference between this and a normal recession. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with our economy." -Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell

"Is there any limit to the amount of money the Fed is willing to put into this economy to keep it afloat? Is it a blank check?" -
@savannahguthrie
"... Essentially, the answer to your question is no," Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell explains.

"I think the first order of business will be to get the spread of the virus under control and then resume economic activity." Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell tells
@savannahguthrie

"We know that economic activity will decline probably substantially in the second quarter. … It will really depend on the spread of the virus. The virus is going to dictate the timetable here." - Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell

Powell is at least being realistic. Seems the Fed will be using emergency lending powers to keep things from falling apart.

Oct 25, 2017
D0YZBJw.gif

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens if the government just keeps dumping money into the stock market? I feel like I have an idea but economics is not something I'm well versed in.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
But we won't do *anything*, won't spend one nickel, to unfuck the people affected by the virus and the shit economy.

Damn, waive/forgive some debts or something for people at least, lol.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
So what happens if the government just keeps dumping money into the stock market? I feel like I have an idea but economics is not something I'm well versed in.

the value of the dollar will go to shit. It's already headed in that direction. It's the reason why gold has been pumping again recently. The US government is doing a good job exposing just how dysfunctional the monetary system is.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they ready to prop up business but citizens better be happy with that one check

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I know there are long term implications to this, but this is the kind of messaging people need.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
the value of the dollar will go to shit. It's already headed in that direction. It's the reason why gold has been pumping again recently. The US government is doing a good job exposing just how dysfunctional the monetary system is.

This is an extremely limited view of what will happen and this isn't the exposure you think it is.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not worried about the deficits, but printing money could lead to hyperinflation and disaster. You can't just print your way out of this mess.
For that to happen, the value of the dollar would have to decline relative to other currencies. The opposite is in fact happening.

Inflation and interest rates have been very low for a very long time. More inflation would actually be good, because it would get rid of a lot of the debt burden people are carrying in real terms.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Right now the dollar needs to go down. Every other currency is getting slaughtered.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

hoarding toilet paper is better than hoarding gold

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i think there should be zero bailouts for any company with a sufficiently large market cap. idk what that number is, let's say $1 billion?

they've had a decade of profitability and now in this crisis they're taking a loss. yeah? and so is everyone else. boohoo. the fed is doing unlimited QE and using absolutely everything in their toolbox to save these companies, and now they're getting a gigantic bailout in the form of this bill that just passed. business should be allowed to fail. american airlines spent most of their cash flow in the last few years on buybacks. i'm not shedding a fucking tear for american airlines.

the fed's actions are simply propping up the prices of assets and financial instruments -- this will likely result in inflation, which fucks the regular worker, because wages are unlikely to keep up with with even a small increase in regular YoY inflation

for regular people the rule of thumb is to save ~6 months of expenses in the event of emergencies. if you're a small business then that rule is 6-12 months. if you're a billion dollar company, the fed will just print as much money as you need to survive, and congress will bail you out. regular people get...$1200, maybe, as an advance on a tax credit. fucking joke i tell you.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The value of the dollar is gonna be so fucked, which means that the jobs we currently have are worthless, like this is a downward cycle

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Medicare for All - "Who is going to pay for that?"

Parachute bailouts for corporations who have spent the last decade using profits to initiate stock buybacks to insulate their executives' pockets - "There is no end to the amount of money we willing to pump into this."

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
"keep it going", Where is it going with no wheels? This is ridiculous, unsustainable, and he's projecting the economy is fucked. The man isn't even an economist and is trying to save the economy with the same top down ideas that ruined it. I knew this would happen when they put him in place because he was put there to be a yes man, the fact that he resisted so long was surprising but he's over his head.

Jerome Powell is Donald Trump's pick to be the next Federal Reserve chair. If confirmed by the Senate, he will be the first non-economist to hold the job for nearly 40 years. The decision is consistent with the Trump administration's drive to shake up Washington and favor people with business savvy over those with technical or academic expertise. The bulk of Powell's career was spent in law and private equity, before he joined the Fed's board in 2012.
The last non-economist Fed chair, William Miller (1979-81), was a disaster, associated with a period of high inflation and unemployment. That said, the necessary qualifications for the Fed chair are not fixed. These days, the ideal head of the Fed should be able to balance short- and long-term economic growth while maintaining the Fed's credibility and independence. In an era that distrusts expertise, a PhD may not be necessary to achieve these goals.

Last edited: