• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My Wife and I just started watching this show, and we're already into S4. Does the show maintain the level of quality through later seasons?

We're both enjoying it more than we did TWD.
General consensus is the quality declines sharply between the midseason finale of season four and the season finale of season five. Season six is an improvement over four and five, but is spotty in its second half.

What episode did y'all watch last, out of curiosity?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
General consensus is the quality declines sharply between the midseason finale of season four and the season finale of season five. Season six is an improvement over four and five, but is spotty in its second half.

What episode did y'all watch last, out of curiosity?

We just wrapped the Ep after Nick gave up the ghost (when Strand, Alicia, and Luciana are telling Al their story). So still pretty early in S4.

We greatly enjoyed S2 & S3, and S4 seems good so far, so I was curious when things would turn, lol.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
We just wrapped the Ep after Nick gave up the ghost (when Strand, Alicia, and Luciana are telling Al their story). So still pretty early in S4.

We greatly enjoyed S2 & S3, and S4 seems good so far, so I was curious when things would turn, lol.
Gotcha, was just wondering.

Personally, I enjoyed the first seven episodes of season four. They had some faults, but they also had some really good episodes (in particular, I actually really liked the episode you just watched). There are one or two good episodes in the second half, but I really didn't care for it much. And I can count the number of episodes I enjoyed in all of season five on less than five fingers.

I think it's worth sticking through the bad episodes though. Season six's first half is (mostly) pretty good; personally, I liked it more than season four's first half, I think, or I at least liked it just as much. The second half is a bit hit-or-miss, but it at least has some neat ideas, and I think it ends on a mostly high note.

That said, if at any point during season five you feel the need to stop watching, just watch a recap of it on YouTube and skip to season six. That's my recommendation at least.

Last edited:

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else watch the finale? I just finished it
Yep! My posts at the end of the last page were about it:

Took a bit of effort to get it to work, but I watched the season finale on Amazon Prime.

I think this episode was good. Much better than the previous one, and definitely the best season finale of Chambliss and Goldberg's Fear, for whatever that's worth. I wasn't a fan of the previous episode for how nonsensical some of the decisions were (Morgan making it out of the scenario Strand pushed him into, letting Teddy and Riley go at the end, etc.), and while I still think that episode could have been much better, I think this episode made those moments worth it to an extent. There's good payoff here for some characters.

Now for detailed spoilery thoughts:

I think one of the highlights of the episode for me was Dakota. I feel kind of bad for her, because she was very clearly a product of her troubled upbringing, and she finally started to see a bit of reason at the end… but in the end, she did still choose to just end things without trying to become better, and I'm glad they didn't just make her into Charlie 2.0 by trying to redeem her for killing John. Her killing Teddy was pretty satisfying to see though. And I'll say this: I think she may have had one of the most shocking deaths on any of these shows. Still can't believe they showed her get reduced to ash like that.

Another highlight was Strand. It seems like he's choosing to just embrace the kind of man he's always tended to be, which was interesting to see— he's finally choosing to stick with his "the only way to survive a mad world is to embrace the madness" view, which is refreshing, because after the previous episode, I was afraid they were just going to try to redeem him again as they've been doing the last few seasons. It feels like he might end up being a villain next season, which is interesting I think. Really curious to see where he goes. I kind of get the feeling, though, that if he does end up being villainous, he won't survive past season seven.

There was an Alicia-sized hole this entire episode. I'm glad they showed us the view from the inside of her bunker's door at the end of the episode, so that we're reminded she's still there, but it's disappointing that we didn't actually see or hear her at all. That said, given what they tried to point out about her previously this season (she has hope for a better future and can be a leader of it), I wonder if she might have a more prominent role going forward, and if so, maybe they're going to pit her against Strand?

This post is going on longer than I intended, so my final thoughts: I wonder if they'll use the CRM as an excuse to remove some characters from the show (Althea, Wes, and Sarah, maybe? And Wendell too I suppose, if he survived). I think the show could use a bit of a culling, so that there are fewer characters to spread around. And I'm still disappointed to see Morgan seemingly survive. I'm just so over him at this point. But if they can figure out a good story for him next season, then… sure.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep! My posts at the end of the last page were about it:

Whoops I missed that

I also have a feeling that they have been setting up Strand to be the nice big antagonist.

Having the stuff with the CRM at the end was weird but I guess they wanted to wrap up that unresolved thread with Al and move forward from there.

I was kind of surprised that no major charaters died in the finale. Especially with a nuclear missle going off lmao

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops I missed that

I also have a feeling that they have been setting up Strand to be the nice big antagonist.

Having the stuff with the CRM at the end was weird but I guess they wanted to wrap up that unresolved thread with Al and move forward from there.

I was kind of surprised that no major charaters died in the finale. Especially with a nuclear missle going off lmao
Yeah, the CRM stuff was handled pretty weirdly. How did Al know the nukes were about to go off? I hope we get an episode early next season explaining what happened with her after she split off from the group. I get the feeling we were supposed to get moments with her to explain that this half-season, but COVID caused her to not be available or something. Maybe In Dreams wasn't meant to be only about Morgan and Grace, and was also going to be about Al and Isabelle? I dunno.

And yeah, not using the nukes as a way to clean up some of the cast was really disappointing. I hope they at least end up using it as an excuse to kill off the kids from last season and Wendell. (And then kill off Sarah soon after please)

Also gonna be disappointed if no characters have long-term side-effects from this, because while I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure Morgan and Grace should be kinda-sorta fucked lmao

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
the chances of the nuke going off are slim to none with these showrunners. They'd have to kill off basically the entire cast and center the next season around Alicia and we all know how they feel about her :/

or they could set off 6 nukes and have the entire cast survive

EjZwtec.gif

That tracks too!

Also gonna be disappointed if no characters have long-term side-effects from this, because while I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure Morgan and Grace should be kinda-sorta fucked lmao

They made a whole deal about radioactive zombie blood in S5, splashed Alicia with it, and she was fine. I doubt anything comes of this. Realistically (lol), the only characters who should be okay after the blasts are Alicia (provided she's in a special nuclear bomb shelter and not just a regular bunker of some kind) and the people in the helicopter (assuming they were able to out fly the nuclear blasts). Morgan, Grace, Dwight, Sherry, Strand, June, and John's dad should all be SOL.

This show just sucks so much at the follow through.

"Radioactive zombie blood!" it's actually not dangerous

"Morgan shot and left for dead surrounded by zombies" he's totally fine

"Morgan Jones is dead. You're dealing with someone new now" for like two episodes

"Nukes are going off and this is the end of all things" everyone survived

Like, just commit to your set up ffs. In order for us to really feel the "holy shit nukes!" aspect, you've got to do more than just evaporate Dakota - some of the characters the audience likes need to die in the blast too. Recreate the scene at the end of 5.A where their homemade aiplane just narrowly escapes the blast, so the audience thinks the same thing is going to happen with the CRM helicopter but instead it gets destroyed. Something, anything!

Even if some of the characters end up dying next season due to the radiation, the writers have once again failed to make the major threats of the season feel vital in season.

And no Madison smh

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

or they could set off 6 nukes and have the entire cast survive

EjZwtec.gif

That tracks too!

They made a whole deal about radioactive zombie blood in S5, splashed Alicia with it, and she was fine. I doubt anything comes of this. Realistically (lol), the only characters who should be okay after the blasts are Alicia (provided she's in a special nuclear bomb shelter and not just a regular bunker of some kind) and the people in the helicopter (assuming they were able to out fly the nuclear blasts). Morgan, Grace, Dwight, Sherry, Strand, June, and John's dad should all be SOL.

"Morgan Jones is dead. You're dealing with someone new now" for like two episodes

Like, just commit to your set up ffs. In order for us to really feel the "holy shit nukes!" aspect, you've got to do more than just evaporate Dakota - some of the characters the audience likes need to die in the blast too. Recreate the scene at the end of 5.A where their homemade aiplane just narrowly escapes the blast, so the audience thinks the same thing is going to happen with the CRM helicopter but instead it gets destroyed. Something, anything!

Even if some of the characters end up dying next season due to the radiation, the writers have once again failed to make the major threats of the season feel vital in season.

And no Madison smh

hahahahhahaha

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

And no Madison smh
Yeahh... If they don't want to kill off characters, then they need to stop putting them in scenarios where they should die. It takes a lot of effort to enjoy the story when Morgan somehow survives a gunshot wound like in the season five finale, having a bunch of zombies on him like in S06E15, the entire main cast surviving a fucking nuclear missile, etc. I'm not some bloodthirsty person who wants them to kill people just for shock value, but if you're going to endanger characters to those kinds of degrees, then you need to follow through on it. This show is at its worse when it's trying to pretend it's some Marvel action series where characters survive damn near anything. Either leave some room for your characters to reasonably make it out alive (get everyone into a secure bunker), or don't be afraid to pull the trigger when it makes more sense to (which applies to almost every character in the season finale, as you pointed out). Stop making me suspend my disbelief to excuse this shitty writing. :(

On a related note... Their aversion to killing characters especially sucks because there are so many characters on this show who need to go because they've either had next to nothing to do for several years now, or just aren't that interesting or fitting for the show. When it's time for a character to go, they need to just let them go instead of stringing them along. It baffles me that characters like Luciana, Sarah, and Jacob are still around. They're just... there. (I may be biased about wanting Sarah to go though. I just can't take her seriously when she keeps calling Morgan Momo, talking about Jimbo's beerbos, or what-the-fuck-ever else. I do not like her as a character, not for this show.)

(For the record, I don't want Luciana to die because there's still potential for her and Danay Garcia is a great actress, but she's had like three lines of dialogue - if that - on any given episode since season four, so why is she even still around? Hell, why bring her back in season four to begin with, since she had already left Nick early in season three with no intent of seeing him again?)

... while typing this, it really made me mad to realize that the only main character these showrunners have wanted to kill is Madison, who is one of the ones they should never have considered killing off (barring outside factors / the actress wanting to leave or something)... she was the freaking main character for crying out loud. The only reason Nick and John died is because their actors wanted off the show. Ugh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahh... If they don't want to kill off characters, then they need to stop putting them in scenarios where they should die. It takes a lot of effort to enjoy the story when Morgan somehow survives a gunshot wound like in the season five finale, having a bunch of zombies on him like in S06E15, the entire main cast surviving a fucking nuclear missile, etc. I'm not some bloodthirsty person who wants them to kill people just for shock value, but if you're going to endanger characters to those kinds of degrees, then you need to follow through on it. This show is at its worse when it's trying to pretend it's some Marvel action series where characters survive damn near anything. Either leave some room for your characters to reasonably make it out alive (get everyone into a secure bunker), or don't be afraid to pull the trigger when it makes more sense to (which applies to almost every character in the season finale, as you pointed out). Stop making me suspend my disbelief to excuse this shitty writing. :(

^^^

On a related note... Their aversion to killing characters especially sucks because there are so many characters on this show who need to go because they've either had next to nothing to do for several years now, or just aren't that interesting or fitting for the show. When it's time for a character to go, they need to just let them go instead of stringing them along. It baffles me that characters like Luciana, Sarah, and Jacob are still around. They're just... there. (I may be biased about wanting Sarah to go though. I just can't take her seriously when she keeps calling Morgan Momo, talking about Jimbo's beerbos, or what-the-fuck-ever else. I do not like her as a character, not for this show.)

(For the record, I don't want Luciana to die because there's still potential for her and Danay Garcia is a great actress, but she's had like three lines of dialogue - if that - on any given episode since season four, so why is she even still around? Hell, why bring her back in season four to begin with, since she had already left Nick early in season three with no intent of seeing him again?)

Exactly. It's a post apocalyptic zombie show - if you don't have any future plans for a character, kill them off. If you need to keep a few characters around just in case, then fine, but there's no need for the cast to be as big as it is. Cull 👏 the 👏 herd 👏

I actually like Sarah but if she died I wouldn't care all that much (and I think I just blocked out all the Momo/Beerbo shit lol). I found it extremely odd how they just wrote Wendell off the show btw. Maybe something to do with the actor's availability?

... while typing this, it really made me mad to realize that the only main character these showrunners have wanted to kill is Madison, who is one of the ones they should never have considered killing off (barring outside factors / the actress wanting to leave or something)... she was the freaking main character for crying out loud. The only reason Nick and John died is because their actors wanted off the show. Ugh.

😐

May 15, 2019
I loved the finale, absolutely was blown away by it. Felt it really provided a solid conclusion to the season. Season 6 is my favorite season post momo reset. This is up there with Season 3 as my favorite of the whole show.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like Sarah but if she died I wouldn't care all that much (and I think I just blocked out all the Momo/Beerbo shit lol). I found it extremely odd how they just wrote Wendell off the show btw. Maybe something to do with the actor's availability?
As far as I know, Wendell was supposed to be in the back half of season six, but his actor wasn't available because he was filming for NCIS: New Orleans when they finally got to film Fear 6B. I think his actor said he was looking forward to being in season seven a few months ago though, so Wendell probably survived the explosions. One of the actors of the kids from season five also mentioned being in season seven a while back... unfortunately.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused. Shouldn't everyone except the helicopter crew be fucked? Even if you survive the blast, isn't there still radiation that will kill you after a few months/years? Are we to assume that everyone now has radiation poisoning and is gonna die eventually?

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused. Shouldn't everyone except the helicopter crew be fucked? Even if you survive the blast, isn't there still radiation that will kill you after a few months/years? Are we to assume that everyone now has radiation poisoning and is gonna die eventually?

Forget it, jwk. It's Fear the Walking Dead.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
It's the end of a season so time for all of the reporters to ask about Madison again and get the same answer.
And on that note…

www.insider.com

'Fear TWD' coshowrunner says season 6 doesn't close the door on potential Madison return

Andrew Chambliss tells Insider we'll have to "wait and see" where the story goes when it comes to closure for Madison fans.

When asked if the season's final few episodes were meant to offer closure on Clark's story arc for fans, coshowrunner Andrew Chambliss told Insider, "Madison is always going to be a part of who Alicia is and a part of the fabric of the show. I don't think that closes the door on anything. I think we're just going to have to wait and see where the story goes."

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020

In theory tactical nukes (which is what I think these were supposed to be) have much less radiation fallout than a traditional warhead.

Though as I understand it, there would still be some.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Forget it, jwk. It's Fear the Walking Dead.
You're funny. These writers will pull some Rad-X out of their asses and everyone will be fine.
Lol, ya'll are right. I gotta stop thinking with this show.

In theory tactical nukes (which is what I think these were supposed to be) have much less radiation fallout than a traditional warhead.

Though as I understand it, there would still be some.
I didn't know there was a functional difference. Thanks!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Who would have thought John Connor would be the one to bring on the nuclear apocalypse.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Pretty good episode to cap off a great season. Dakota killing Teddy before being nuked was one of the most visually satisfying scenes in the entire show, IMO. I was mildly disappointed we didn't get a major character death and that a big time jump is unlikely.

Cautiously optimistic about Strand's character arc next season. I hope the writers don't completely hand-wave the radiation effects.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lol im like completely different.

Just another shitty season since Madison left. There seems to be no way this show gets back to that high point for me.

This show has the same problem of killing favourites without really replacing them as TWD does.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump, just wanted to point out something lol.

AMC tweeted out images with details on next weekend's Comic-Con panels for all three shows. Here's Fear's:

The image for TWD uses a color scheme similar to what we've seen for other marketing materials for season eleven, while World Beyond's uses the green and purple scheme from season one. Maybe this means Fear's seventh season will have a lot of purple and orange in its marketing. I really dig it, though I may be biased since I love Halloween.

… yeah, it's been a slow day. Excited to hopefully get a trailer for season seven next week though. Even with 6B being pretty mixed, I enjoyed season six overall and definitely think it was the best they've done with the show since the soft reboot. Hopefully some of that momentum carries over to season seven and they continue improving. (Also really hoping we see a lot more of Alicia and Strand in the spotlight, which seems pretty likely)