• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this was intended to be the mid-season finale before covid happened. They mentioned in Talking Dead last week that the last one was nearly complete before production got shut down.

Colbe Minife was great in this episode.

The John Dorrie episode was supposed to be the mid season finale

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
nice episode! feeling strange, but the second time where i feel the spin off is currently better than the main series.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the new episode on AMC+.

I'm glad that we finally got an episode centered around Daniel, and I'm also glad that it dealt with him coming to terms with some things that happened seasons ago (Ofelia's death, Strand shooting him, etc.). I don't feel like we've gotten enough of that sort of closure to pre-season 4 events since Chambliss and Goldberg took over, so I hope they don't stop here. Also, I initially wasn't sure how I felt about the way the story was being told, with him relaying it to June, but I think it worked in the end, and the writing was fairly solid (except for the "did you get the hammer that I sent you to look for" bit, lol). Another good episode for this season.

Also: for the love of god, please give some focus to Luciana at some point. I still don't understand why they decided to bring her back in season four considering it made little sense and they've done so little with her since then. Give the girl some time in the spotlight.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for some reason, the preview image for this episode on the Apple TV app showed Alicia and (I think) Althea, who weren't in the episode at all. Oops.

nice episode! feeling strange, but the second time where i feel the spin off is currently better than the main series.
I know it's been a lot more uneven than the main show since the soft reboot, but I think that even with that in mind, I might be more attached to Fear than the original show at this point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This any good? Tried to get back into the main series and kind of don't care anymore lol.

This one I still can't believe Nick/frank left the show. By far the most nuanced and best character on the show.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
This any good? Tried to get back into the main series and kind of don't care anymore lol.

This one I still can't believe Nick/frank left the show. By far the most nuanced and best character on the show.
The writing is still a bit iffy in places, but the characters and story are a lot more interesting than in seasons 4B and 5. It still feels like it's trying to be more like the original show in terms of having an ensemble cast, building communities, etc., but it also feels like they've finally maybe figured out how to retain some of the DNA from the first three seasons. I'd sworn off the show after how terrible season five was, but I'm now glad that I stuck around. It isn't super amazing or something, but it is pretty good, imo.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Morgan used to be such a badass, but man does he frustrate me with how forgiving he can be in this world. You would think he would of learned his lesson several times over, but that never seems like that is the case even after this weeks episode with Virginia.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how poorly defended Morgan's camp is 🤣

Also, I'm yet to be sold on this whole
"there's a nefarious group out there that we need to come together to defeat!" storyline when all they've done is blow up Virginia's oil production site and graffiti some stuff. This feels like Logan all over again.

Last edited:

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this weekend's episode on AMC+. Probably my favorite episode of the season.

Really good introduction to Teddy's group, and was really cool that most of it took place in their bunker. Had a pretty distinct atmosphere that worked well for what happened in the episode. Wes's brother being alive and with them was surprising, and the fact that Wes didn't end up joining them was, too; it felt like they were lining thing up for him to stay with his brother, but nope. Also, interesting that this is how they chose to bring the Civic Republic back into Fear's story. I have a feeling that Isabelle will end up coming to help fight Teddy's people at some point, and wind up taking Al back with her to… wherever Isabelle stays, I guess.

Gonna put a spoiler tag within a spoiler tag here, since the rest of my speculation is based on knowledge of the season's filming:

I get the feeling we won't see Alicia again until the end of the season. Apparently Alycia Debnam-Carey wasn't around for filming much in the back half of the season, so I guess we won't see her again until Morgan's group goes to rescue her or something.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
That was a good one, yeah. This show is feeling very The 100 all of a sudden. Also, more fuel to the
Madison Returnz
theory.

Also, I'm yet to be sold on this whole
"there's a nefarious group out there that we need to come together to defeat!" storyline when all they've done is blow up Virginia's oil production site and graffiti some stuff. This feels like Logan all over again.

Well, that was fast lol

so their goal is to kill literally everyone because circle of life. Clearly they're going to try and use the nuclear missiles in the submarine to achieve that end and live in their bunker to escape the fallout. Not sure what they were planning with the embalmed people though.

Gonna put a spoiler tag within a spoiler tag here, since the rest of my speculation is based on knowledge of the season's filming:

I get the feeling we won't see Alicia again until the end of the season. Apparently Alycia Debnam-Carey wasn't around for filming much in the back half of the season, so I guess we won't see her again until Morgan's group goes to rescue her or something.

They better not
pull a Bellamy with her...

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The last episode was very interesting.

Wes and Alicia got some much-needed screentime and John Glover is a great addition to the cast.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
New episode is up for AMC+

I wasn't really a fan of the whole alternate reality inside of Grace's head or whatever *shrug*

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
New episode is up for AMC+

I wasn't really a fan of the whole alternate reality inside of Grace's head or whatever *shrug*
Same. Dream / hallucination episodes kind of suck, and this one kind of felt corny. I wish they would stop doing them, on any of these shows.

That said… I think it sort of worked in the end, to an extent. That ending was rough and not what I was expecting. Really sad stuff. I'm glad Grace survived though.

Last edited:

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Same. Dream / hallucination episodes kind of suck, and this one kind of felt corny. I wish they would stop doing them, on any of these shows.

That said… I think it sort of worked in the end, to an extent. That ending was rough and not what I was expecting. Really sad stuff.

Yeah really sad ending end 🙁

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized something that is sort of really fucked up, lol.

This episode is premiering on Mothers Day.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning it was pretty lame but man that ending.... fuck.

What a fucked episode to air on Mother's Day.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
That was similar to the Daniel episode. Wasn't sold on the premise but by the end I thought it ended up being an interesting character-focused episode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Same. If they're gonna keep Grace around then they need to invest in her character and this was a pretty interesting way to do it. The end was a gut punch (and I wasn't even invested in the pregnancy storyline) and an o k a y consequence to Grace's radiation storyline in S5. (though the whole "don't touch the zombies omg they're irradiated!" thing was still just a toothless nonsense threat since nothing happened as a result of it - and if it did it would have to be to Alicia which I wouldn't want anyway, so bleh)

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah, this was a pretty fucked episode to have on Mother's Day. lol

The hallucinations and dream-like coma was a little too fantastical and on the nose for my tastes but at least it looked really cool with all the pink.

Meanwhile, that dude now has the key based off Grace thinking she was some sort of prophet. Silly that Morgan didn't kill him when he had the chance though. Makes no sense to kill all his lackeys then allow him to leave.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Morgan trying to fight them off instead of giving over the key while Grace in labor was freaking stupid to begin with. Didn't make any sense.

We also saw the gunshot through the window from the group hunting them...so the decided to all go in without guns first and have all but one of them getting killed by Morgan ? That one survivor comes back later with a gun...and just takes the key, instead of killing Morgan on the spot for wounding him and killing a bunch of friends ? Like come on.

I liked the Grace and Dream stuff in general and the ending was suprising but the super hero BS they had Morgan perform against the others was unnecessary. Just give them the key instead of playing hero when you have bigger things to worry about.

Also them having June not stick around while Grace is about to expect as well as Morgan/Grace travelling alone without anymind of back up ....is just the TWD stupidity you have to embrace.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Morgan trying to fight them off instead of giving over the key while Grace in labor was freaking stupid to begin with. Didn't make any sense.

Was it not just a random key he found on that guy's body? He was being really protective of it and that didn't really ring true to me.

We also saw the gunshot through the window from the group hunting them...so the decided to all go in without guns first and have all but one of them getting killed by Morgan ? That one survivor comes back later with a gun...and just takes the key, instead of killing Morgan on the spot for wounding him and killing a bunch of friends ? Like come on.

Also them having June not stick around while Grace is about to expect as well as Morgan/Grace travelling alone without anymind of back up ....is just the TWD stupidity you have to embrace.

Pretty much haha

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I had a thought a few weeks ago that they might go the radiated baby route, so I'm relieved they didn't take it that far, but oof...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Was it not just a random key he found on that guy's body? He was being really protective of it and that didn't really ring true to me.

Pretty much haha
Yeah he was really standoff-ish for no reason, didn't know what the key was for yet he took his chance fighting a bunch of angry people while Grace giving Birth lol.

Random dude letting Morgan love after he stabbed him through his chest and killed like 6 of his friends is just too ridiculous to me...i mean come on lol.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Happy mother's day! What a fucking episode. This show has balls to pull that. And Grace convinced Morgan to give up that key? She fucked up.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
That one was pretty good. That said, while I can buy
June running into John's dad because their family was from that area, the cult leader having a history with them is just a needlessly silly coincidence.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The meeting with JD Sr. was perhaps a little contrived but John's recent death made it more poignant.

I like how the main arc is coming together. They foreshadowed it in the first half of the season with the spray paint, John talking about his father and Teddy's embalming modus operandi.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Episode fourteen is up on AMC+.

Really solid Alicia- and Teddy-focused episode. I think it sold me on Teddy as a villain; he's definitely one of the better / interesting ones to have graced this show. His ideology is nuts, but he's smart.

I'm just glad the episode also put a lot of focus on Alicia. I loved her this episode, especially in regards to how she interacted with Dakota and the folks from the stadium (particularly Cole). She's not taking anyone's bullshit, but you can also see that she is affected by things like Dakota killing John, and Cole/Doug/Viv wasting the second chance that Madison gave them.

I just get major "Andrea held captive by the Governor" and "Beth held captive in Grady Memorial" vibes from the end of this episode, though. I really hope I'm wrong. If they end up killing Alicia and it turns out that Alycia Debnam-Carrey didn't want off the show I might actually drop the series. I don't want to deal with another Madison situation. I'm still of the opinion that Alicia should be the main character of the show at this point, not Morgan, just like I wish Madison had remained the lead back in season four instead of Morgan.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It was a decent episode that did a fair job of making Teddy a more convincing villain.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I enjoyed that episode. John Glover is fantastic and we haven't had enough Alicia this season. Interesting idea with Teddy keeping Alicia alive because he thinks she's the perfect person to rebuild society after he's nuked the cancer away. I'm glad the Norman Bates/Mother homage was a just a trick by Teddy. Not sure what to make of Alicia's attitude toward Dakota... I guess she ran out of forgiveness after Charlie.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I feel like this season and Fear in general have been pretty good lately, but man I cannot stand scenes where people die to walkers like during that confrontation with Cole at the end during the last episode.

You're telling me these people who have survived the zombie apocalypse for years up until this point, holding automatic weapons, and are in a circle formation are going to die to barely a dozen of slow moving walkers that come out from the forest?

Stuff like that just brings this show back down in the dumps for me.

Last edited:

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads-up: apparently episode fifteen can be watched right now on AMC+ (or maybe just AMC+ on Amazon Prime?) in Germany. So full spoilers are out there, etc.

Not sure why the episode got released early there, but I hope other countries follow suit. It sounds like a pretty good episode.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
New ep is up on amc+!

Just a heads-up: apparently episode fifteen can be watched right now on AMC+ (or maybe just AMC+ on Amazon Prime?) in Germany. So full spoilers are out there, etc.

Not sure why the episode got released early there, but I hope other countries follow suit. It sounds like a pretty good episode.

Well that's an interesting mistake. US amc+ didn't get updated until. Today.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the episode.

I liked most of the episode until the end. Why the fuck did Morgan and Strand let Teddy and Riley go? One of them should be fucking dead, and the other should have been interrogated so they can at least try to figure out where Alicia is. And so much of the dialogue felt really stilted all throughout the episode, though that's just a staple of Chambliss and Goldberg's Fear at this point I guess. Ugh. Also think Strand was really poor this episode, it's like the writers don't know how to use his personality except to make him "do bad thing that makes him look like he's only covering for himself, then spend time trying to redeem him," rinse and repeat. It's frustrating, because we've seen how great Colman Domingo can be on this show when he's given good material to work with.

Also, this episode really intensified something that's been bugging me about this season for a long while now: they rely way too much on telling us what characters are doing / have been up to instead of actually showing us. There have been so many instances of it this season:
  • Strand going behind Virginia's back to gather an army against her, without actually showing any of it
  • Basically the entire creation of Morgan's town (unless I'm misremembering, they don't really show us any part of them actually building it up)
  • We haven't seen Lawton at all since Virginia died, despite Strand being its new leader, and despite Daniel (and June?) living there
  • We haven't seen June's new hospital
  • We haven't seen Daniel during his stay at Lawton, where he's supposedly trying to get better with June's help (June hasn't even mentioned the man since that episode, and Daniel appeared briefly in this one as if nothing happened to begin with)
  • Althea leaving the group to find Isabelle (I assume), yet she just… vanishes. We don't get to see her as she leaves
I want to love this show so badly, and I have enjoyed it a lot more this season compared to 4 and 5, but it's still so damn uneven, and if you think about an episode for more than a few minutes, it just falls apart and makes you mad. Ugh. They've at least brought the quality back up to a level where I'm sort of looking to new episodes again, but it still isn't great. Nowhere near as good as the first three seasons, and while I know it isn't entirely a fair comparisons since they're basically two very different shows that just share the same name, it doesn't change how I feel about it.

I hope the season ends on a high note, but I doubt it. Chambliss and Goldberg are seemingly good at coming up with cool ideas from time to time, but that's very hit or miss, and the writing is fucking bad most of the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I yelped when Strand DID THAT 🤣

I really hope it resulted in Morgan getting bit lol

It was a pretty good episode but yeah, some dumb things in there for sure

Morgan allowing Teddy and Riley go was dumb as hell - this is the second time he's let Riley get away too. I knew it was too good to be true when, in the season premiere, Morgan told Virginia "Morgan Jones is dead. You're dealing with someone new now" how long did that even last 🙄 Anyway, I'm sure he let them go because he figured they'd be dead soon due to the nuke, but the chances of the nuke going off are slim to none with these showrunners. They'd have to kill off basically the entire cast and center the next season around Alicia and we all know how they feel about her :/

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Thought it was a fun episode with some tense moments.

At least Strand is consistently inconsistent lol. Morgan is right about him having a hero complex. He's self-serving but his ties to people like Alicia keep him from going all in on who he really his like Teddy and Dakota.

I was expecting more missiles to be fired and a big time jump for next season but now I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that with the main show being years ahead of this one, and no mention of Morgan, there's really no reason why Fear couldn't end with this cast dying. But yeah I'm not expecting much from the nukes.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that with the main show being years ahead of this one, and no mention of Morgan, there's really no reason why Fear couldn't end with this cast dying. But yeah I'm not expecting much from the nukes.
Hopefully they use the missiles to at least clean the slate a little bit in regards to some of the extra cast (I really feel like these shows are at their best when they focus on a core group of characters as opposed to a big group of people that don't get enough individual screentime), but I doubt they'll do it.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon Prime Germany fucked up again. The season finale is out there now apparently.

EDIT: Yup, the episode is definitely out there.

Just watched some clips from the end of the episode. Some of the group (June, John Sr., etc.) hide in a bunker, while others (Daniel, Luciana, Wes, Charlie, Sarah, and the rabbi) are rescued via helicopter by the Civic Republic Military (Isabelle I think, though we don't see her face; the person has a helmet on). Dakota shoots and kills Teddy, and she is then absolutely fucking annihilated by the missile's explosion. Strand rides out the explosion with a man we haven't met yet, in a city building somewhere.

The clips I saw didn't have Morgan or Grace in them, but apparently they're also safe.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Prime Germany fucked up again. The season finale is out there now apparently.

EDIT: Yup, the episode is definitely out there.

Just watched some clips from the end of the episode. Some of the group (June, John Sr., etc.) hides in a bunker, while the rest (Daniel, Luciana, Wes, Charlie, Sarah, maybe another that I'm forgetting) are rescued via helicopter by the Civic Republic Military (Isabelle I think, though we don't see her face; the person has a helmet on). Dakota shoots and kills Teddy, and is then killed by the missile's explosion in a pretty gnarly fashion.
That's really weird. Now I wish I had a VPN.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Took a bit of effort to get it to work, but I watched the season finale on Amazon Prime.

I think this episode was good. Much better than the previous one, and definitely the best season finale of Chambliss and Goldberg's Fear, for whatever that's worth. I wasn't a fan of the previous episode for how nonsensical some of the decisions were (Morgan making it out of the scenario Strand pushed him into, letting Teddy and Riley go at the end, etc.), and while I still think that episode could have been much better, I think this episode made those moments worth it to an extent. There's good payoff here for some characters.

Now for detailed spoilery thoughts:

I think one of the highlights of the episode for me was Dakota. I feel kind of bad for her, because she was very clearly a product of her troubled upbringing, and she finally started to see a bit of reason at the end… but in the end, she did still choose to just end things without trying to become better, and I'm glad they didn't just make her into Charlie 2.0 by trying to redeem her for killing John. Her killing Teddy was pretty satisfying to see though. And I'll say this: I think she may have had one of the most shocking deaths on any of these shows. Still can't believe they showed her get reduced to ash like that.

Another highlight was Strand. It seems like he's choosing to just embrace the kind of man he's always tended to be, which was interesting to see— he's finally choosing to stick with his "the only way to survive a mad world is to embrace the madness" view, which is refreshing, because after the previous episode, I was afraid they were just going to try to redeem him again as they've been doing the last few seasons. It feels like he might end up being a villain next season, which is interesting I think. Really curious to see where he goes. I kind of get the feeling, though, that if he does end up being villainous, he won't survive past season seven.

There was an Alicia-sized hole this entire episode. I'm glad they showed us the view from the inside of her bunker's door at the end of the episode, so that we're reminded she's still there, but it's disappointing that we didn't actually see or hear her at all. That said, given what they tried to point out about her previously this season (she has hope for a better future and can be a leader of it), I wonder if she might have a more prominent role going forward, and if so, maybe they're going to pit her against Strand?

This post is going on longer than I intended, so my final thoughts: I wonder if they'll use the CRM as an excuse to remove some characters from the show (Althea, Wes, and Sarah, maybe? And Wendell too I suppose, if he survived). I think the show could use a bit of a culling, so that there are fewer characters to spread around. And I'm still disappointed to see Morgan seemingly survive. I'm just so over him at this point. But if they can figure out a good story for him next season, then… sure.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
My Wife and I just started watching this show, and we're already into S4. Does the show maintain the level of quality through later seasons?

We're both enjoying it more than we did TWD.