• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
Good episode and I know i'm in the minority but the dead character was one of my least favourite and I kind of wish the murderer took out my other least favorite character in the scene right after. Two birds one stone. And bring back madison honestly.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I feel like I should be angry but that was so well done. This season is up there with the best of the TWD universe, along with season 3. And no one watches or talks about it because the first two seasons weren't great and people gave up.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this show has taught me that if I come across a lil girl in a post-apocalyptic world, just leave her alone. I'm honestly not sure where they go from here. Do they forgive her or shun her? I highly doubt they'd kill her, but she's already shown she's about that life. Maybe one of the other kids would kill her? I'm gonna miss John. He was so wholesome in a world without many wholesome people. Virginia reallllyyyy fucked up with this one.

I like how they made you think he'd possibly survive like Rick did, then just said nah, we're serious about this.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Man, this show has taught me that if I come across a lil girl in a post-apocalyptic world, just leave her alone. I'm honestly not sure where they go from here. Do they forgive her or shun her? I highly doubt they'd kill her, but she's already shown she's about that life. Maybe one of the other kids would kill her? I'm gonna miss John. He was so wholesome in a world without many wholesome people. Virginia reallllyyyy fucked up with this one.

I like how they made you think he'd possibly survive like Rick did, then just said nah, we're serious about this.

Didn't even think of that. It really was the reverse of that scene in TWD.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I should be angry but that was so well done. This season is up there with the best of the TWD universe, along with season 3. And no one watches or talks about it because the first two seasons weren't great and people gave up.
Yeah, it's been a really great season for the most part. The turnaround compared to the last two seasons has been pretty amazing. I was honestly surprised when I saw that Chambliss and Goldberg wrote this episode, lol. I'm glad that the show is in a good place again.

I just hope that the quality keeps up, and that season seven doesn't end up being the last season. I really like a lot of these characters now, and it would be a shame if we ended up only getting four seasons with most of them (and only 1.5 good seasons with them so far, assuming the rest of season six is good).

The episode's opening sequence (the animated thing they've been doing this season) reminded me of Rick's final episode, and I'm sure that was intentional lol.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
From the interviews coming out now that the episode has actually aired on AMC, it looks like Dillahunt asked to leave the show. So while I know some people are disappointed, they really didn't have an option here (unlike the decision to kill Madison).

So I have to give the showrunners credit for that. For all of the issues with the show in the back half of season 4 and most of season 5, when they were forced to write off two major characters (first Nick, now John), they handled it very well.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From the interviews coming out now that the episode has actually aired on AMC, it looks like Dillahunt asked to leave the show. So while I know some people are disappointed, they really didn't have an option here (unlike the decision to kill Madison).

So I have to give the showrunners credit for that. For all of the issues with the show in the back half of season 4 and most of season 5, when they were forced to write off two major characters (first Nick, now John), they handled it very well.

Where did you see that? I'm seeing the opposite

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Where did you see that? I'm seeing the opposite

Those tweets are referring to Garret finding out how he was being written out.

But he wanted to leave the show.

ew.com

Garret Dillahunt reacts to John Dorie shocker on 'Fear The Walking Dead'

'Fear the Walking Dead' star Garret Dillahunt explains what led to that John Dorie shocker on the show.

It was an emotional send-off for a fan favorite, but before viewers can stage a revolt at the producers for killing off such a popular character, the man who plays the fallen hero reveals that he approached the franchise powers-that-be back in season 5 about plotting an exit strategy to be written off the show.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So for how long has this untimely demise of John Dorie been in the works?

GARRET DILLAHUNT: I don't remember exactly when, but it's something we'd been talking about since season 5. And then we had a lot of conversations between 5 and 6 about how John would exit.

I just feel very fortunate that they were willing to hear it, and consider it, and then come up with a great idea that made everybody happy.

Even if you want off a show, it's never easy to leave one. There's seldom real bad blood or something like that. It's often just time.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Nick's exit. It doesn't seem like they were given much time at all to build up any sort of arc for him so I think they did they best they could.

For me, the problem was deciding to write out Madison after knowing they were losing Nick. Just a terrible decision.

His whole "I don't want to leave the stadium" thing was dumb. I feel like they messed with his characterization in S4, but I did like the suddenness of his exit.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
That was a very good episode, but really broke my heart.
RIP John Dorie, one of the sweetest characters :(]

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The follow-up is even better.

I think it's happening. You don't give someone an offscreen death in this universe if you're not leaving the door open to bring the character back.

But if it does happen, that feels like a season finale thing that is shot in secret. If you bring her back in something like a mid-season premiere, there's no way it doesn't leak.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Good. The "crossovers" have basically just amounted to FtWD becoming a dumping ground for characters TWD didn't want anymore. Plus, Fear is still several years behind in the timeline, iirc, so there'd be no place for a crossover anyway.

Unless...
it takes place after the time jump in the final issue. They could do a big future tease with some of the Fear characters and then fans could spend the rest of Fear trying to figure out how Future Alicia gets her eyepatch and why she keeps a zombified Charlie as her pet!

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Had a feeling that Dillahunt wanted off the show. The interviews he had back in the day about being excited to join Kim Dickens on the show made it seem like she had to convince him to stay on, at least partially.

But yeah, they did a great job of giving John a good sendoff. I'm excited to see where the story goes from here.

The follow-up is even better.

I think it's happening. You don't give someone an offscreen death in this universe if you're not leaving the door open to bring the character back.

But if it does happen, that feels like a season finale thing that is shot in secret. If you bring her back in something like a mid-season premiere, there's no way it doesn't leak.

I think it's safe to say she's coming back in some capacity at some point (the fact that they've gone from saying "she definitely died" to "well, we never saw her body..." convinced me of that), but yeah, I don't think it's any time soon. At the earliest, it'll be an end-of-season tease, with her full return being in the following season. Sort of like what Maggie's return on TWD was originally supposed to be before they greenlit 10C.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Had a feeling that Dillahunt wanted off the show. The interviews he had back in the day about being excited to join Kim Dickens on the show made it seem like she had to convince him to stay on, at least partially.

But yeah, they did a great job of giving John a good sendoff. I'm excited to see where the story goes from here.

I think it's safe to say she's coming back in some capacity at some point (the fact that they've gone from saying "she definitely died" to "well, we never saw her body..." convinced me of that), but yeah, I don't think it's any time soon. At the earliest, it'll be an end-of-season tease, with her full return being in the following season. Sort of like what Maggie's return on TWD was originally supposed to be before they greenlit 10C.

If they want to do something truly great, they would bring her back in an antagonistic fashion. It's been said before that the previous writers looked at her as someone who could become a Governor-like character. Do that.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
If they want to do something truly great, they would bring her back in an antagonistic fashion. It's been said before that the previous writers looked at her as someone who could become a Governor-like character. Do that.
Yes please.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Oh man Fuck
Dakota... Fuck that little shit... Dammit

Amen.

I really hope they don't attempt to redeem her ass after that cold-blooded shit. Honestly, I was hoping Morgan would off her right there but I guess strategically that wouldn't have been the best move. Also, I don't see June letting that slide.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
What's with some people and open spoilers? Seriously? Lol.

Perhaps there's another reason why
John was killed off. I just watched the awesome Army of the Dead trailer that was released yesterday. Dillahunt appears to be one of the main characters.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
What's with some people and open spoilers? Seriously? Lol.

Perhaps there's another reason why
John was killed off. I just watched the awesome Army of the Dead trailer that was released yesterday. Dillahunt appears to be one of the main characters.
Thread has open spoilers for episodes that have aired on AMC. That's how it's always worked for the TWD TV universe threads, unless Ratsky changed it at some point.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the last episode..ffs.
It was good but i didn't see it coming...really wish he had stick around longer. Ofc John dies the second Morgan calls him his best friend.

Goddamn Dakota.

This season has been really strong so far. Quite the surprise.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Mama June gave no fucks! But I forgot Virginia was prepping an army for something. Wtf is coming? Could it be related to the sub?

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I don't really think Morgan was right to not kill Virginia though. There's no telling what she'd do to protect her daughter if it came down to. It again. That's not a wild card I'd want out there.

Also, umm, wasn't June like their only actual medic? I think the Rabi can do stuff but it's not his specialty.

Also, is this the season finale? Like it's over now or are there more eps?

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
June was cold-blooded but also very justified in what she did. I was curious if she'd take Dakota out too but it occurred to me that by killing Virginia, she just left the little brat with no one in this very cold and harsh world. It's also deliciously ironic because Dakota was so adamant that Morgan kill Virginia so in a perverse way, she finally got her wish. The downside is there is no way they'll banish Dakota now so they are clearly going to give her some sort of role in the colony.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
June was cold-blooded but also very justified in what she did. I was curious if she'd take Dakota out too but it occurred to me that by killing Virginia, she just left the little brat with no one in this very cold and harsh world. It's also deliciously ironic because Dakota was so adamant that Morgan kill Virginia so in a perverse way, she finally got her wish. The downside is there is no way they'll banish Dakota now so they are clearly going to give her some sort of role in the colony.

Dakota feels like old Charlie. Not sure why they would want to retread that ground from a story perspective.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of kids, we haven't seen those three kids from the plane crash in a minute.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah I liked that episode

really did feel like a season finale. I love how they are finally forming a new colony. Maybe this show is actually finding its footing.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Another strong episode with an unpredictable twist that actually made sense.

I'm glad they didn't drag this Ginny/Pioneers storyline out as long as Negan/Saviors. It felt like the right time to end it and move on to a new threat.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Another good episode. Even though she was absolutely a villain and did awful things, they sort of made me feel bad for Virginia in a way. I didn't think she was actually Dakota's mom. And I think I was on the side of Morgan on the whole "if we kill her, we are continuing it, not ending it" thing.

That said... I definitely didn't think she'd make it past this episode, so her death wasn't too surprising. Really interested to see what happens with June from here. There's some real potential for her to be this show's equivalent to comic!Andrea.

Final thoughts: I really hope Alicia plays a bigger part in the second half of the season, and I hope they end up doing a better job of forgiving Dakota than they did with Charlie back in season four. It happened way too quickly back then, at least for me, so hopefully they handle that sort of thing better this time.

EDIT: The conflict between Morgan and Strand felt a bit forced, but still sort of believable.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they didn't drag this Ginny/Pioneers storyline out as long as Negan/Saviors. It felt like the right time to end it and move on to a new threat.

Same.
I think this episode would have worked better as the end cap of S6.A (kind of an odd episode to start the season with since it feels like the end of an arc rather than the beginning of one) but I'm at least glad they didn't try to stretch this story out across the rest of the season.

Even though she was absolutely a villain and did awful things, they sort of made me feel bad for Virginia in a way.

Me too. Too bad
they didn't try to humanize her before her final episode.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Same.
I think this episode would have worked better as the end cap of S6.A (kind of an odd episode to start the season with since it feels like the end of an arc rather than the beginning of one) but I'm at least glad they didn't try to stretch this story out across the rest of the season.

Me too. Too bad
they didn't try to humanize her before her final episode.
Agreed on both accounts. This felt like more of a midseason finale than the previous episode did. I think people would've been a little upset if the first half of the season had ended on John's death, with the real resolution to the current arc dangled ahead of them like with Negan back in the day (though obviously this wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad as that was).

And yeah, it does suck they didn't sprinkle out more of Virginia's story throughout the season. Would've made this episode hit a bit better I think.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Fear is showing no chill right now.

The last two episodes have felt like season finales.
Yup. Really enjoying how this season has turned out so far.

I'm really interested to see what the rest of the season is like though. I wonder how much of its story had to change once the pandemic hit.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this was intended to be the mid-season finale before covid happened. They mentioned in Talking Dead last week that the last one was nearly complete before production got shut down.

Colbe Minife was great in this episode.