• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I think it's just ok. It's more Tool. None of it lives up to their their best. But it's all also better than their worst.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Great album, but it also made me realise I had moved on from Tool after 15 years

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
It just seems like they played it too safe. It's the kind of album I would expect a band to make when pressured by their record label not a band with a cult like following that will eat up whatever they will put out. Basically, I was expecting them to come with something a bit groundbreaking and we got a greatest hits of sorts. In some songs they even seem as if they are copying themselves.

It's good music, mind you, but underwhelming considering the artist and the context.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought it was just okay, now I think its their best (once you permanently delete the digital edition exclusive garbage troll tracks).

This album needs time, there is so much intricate stuff happening. Just awesome.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the lack of vocals is a drawback for a lot of posters. I dig letting the music breathe a bit more. Still not crazy about the album, but I do think the amount of vocals is a positive, not a detriment.

Even if I'm not crazy about the album, they're still a phenomenal live band and will go see them when I can.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't listen to Tool since this happened

Wasn't aware of this until now. IMO... considering the sociopolitical critique the band's lyrics oftentimes provide, his statement is pretty hypocritical. I hope his words aren't representative of how the other members feel. TBH, he's the most disposable member of the band.

I enjoyed Fear Inoculum though. Only ended up listening to it this year.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, and yeah they're shilling a guitar, but if Adam, Justin, and Danny wanted to make their own art rock trio and produce instrumental stuff like this I'd be ok with it.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
I came to the conclusion that no matter how good the new album is, it couldn't live up to the wait. So, I decided to skip listening to Fear Inoculum, and continue enjoying the anticipation instead...

(The self-titled single off the album did nothing to grab me in the visceral way everything on their previous albums did, so I ended up leaving the new album on the backlog of "media I need to get around to". I really need to get around to fixing that.)

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
For better and for worse it's an album that sounded like Tool basically never progressed from 2006. Half of the tracks sound like iterations or unreleased tracks from that particular era, so much of it is familiar ground to the point that it's kinda unambitious. There are highlights in spite of it though; Pneuma, Descending and 7empest are contenders for GOAT tracks.

The interludes are also kinda disposable, except maybe Legion Inoculant.
I feel this. In an age of Karnivool, Mastodon and other, fresher bands, Tool never really evolved despite all the time it took them to make that album.

Why listen to FI if you can listen to Lateralus?

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it with my first listening, but after a few more passes, it's one of the great.
Fear Inoculum > Tempest (around the 4 min mark specifically) > Descending > Invincible
Pneuma does nothing for me though

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
As always with Tool, it took a few listens to warm up to it but now, i like it very much, especially after i expurged the interludes. It's not on the same level than Lateralus or 10000 Days, but it's close.

Oct 27, 2017
Pneuma is so good. It evokes powerful introspective emotions on the biological need for transcendence of oneself and how that connects not just all humans but all life, as we all share a common evolutionary ancestry stemming from the energy of the sun.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
I think it's their worst album. Tom Petty once said something akin to (paraphrased) "A classic album has 3 great songs and no bad ones." FI as a bunch of mediocre songs and the worst song Tool's ever written, Descending. I feel like all of the songs would have been better served and more interesting if they had all been whittled down about 2-3 minutes each.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I thought it was great but not my fave...for me:
Lateralus (undisputed)
Aenima
FI
10k Days
Undertow.

Keep in mind I love all the albums lol so this ranking is baselined as if the worst one (Undertow) is like an 8.5/10 😂

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Fear inoculum, it's got some great songs on it. I stand by my initial thoughts though that each song should have been about 2 minutes shorter and it needed another main track.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Strangely I didn't like it much at first but I find myself coming back to Invincible more and more to the point where it might be my favorite song on the album now. It's hard to explain but it kind of has a classic hard rock feel to it that I like.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
7empest is literally my second favorite Tool song ever now, so I love it for that. But I think I have different tastes than the majority of Tool fans.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I love the album but it would have been worth it for Invincible alone, that song is absolutely killer live and will hopefully be a mainstay in their live rotation going forward.