• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
www.cnn.com

FDA says people need both doses of Covid shots

Anyone who receives the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine must get two full doses, two top US Food and Drug Administration officials said Monday.

Anyone who receives the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine must get two full doses, two top US Food and Drug Administration officials said Monday.

They also dismissed other ideas for stretching the vaccine supply and said people who are speculating about the possibility of making do with just one dose or cutting doses in half are misinterpreting the data.
"We have been following the discussions and news reports about reducing the number of doses, extending the length of time between doses, changing the dose (half-dose), or mixing and matching vaccines in order to immunize more people against COVID-19," FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn and Dr. Peter Marks, who heads FDA's vaccine division, said in a statement.

"Those participants who did not receive two vaccine doses at either a three-or four-week interval were generally only followed for a short period of time, such that we cannot conclude anything definitive about the depth or duration of protection after a single dose of vaccine from the single dose percentages reported by the companies."

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
Someone please tell the UK government that, especially the fact that we're not waiting three months for the second jab and not two-to-three weeks.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It really seems like the limitation right now isn't production of vaccines, but distribution. How about the Trump admin doesn't talk about screwing up dosing until they at least overcome the distribution and uptake issues?

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just kiss someone who was vaccinated to pass on immunity to yourself? The science checks out I'm sure.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not expecting to get mine until sometime in Autumn unless the Biden admin (hopefully) rolls out a drastically overhauled distribution plan.

Oct 27, 2017
This is partly misleading, in that it isn't saying protection isn't added if you don't receive two doses, rather the bigger issue (and why two are needed) is that there's been no proper study on the efficacy of a single dose (or two doses with varied parameters) so its unknown how alternative vaccine plans would work.

The FDA (and other health bodies) have approved it on the basis of the testing with two doses three weeks apart, where its known how effective that vaccine course is.

It's ridiculous to deviate from that treatment course (as it's what we know and has been validated), but this is different from it not being effective which the title suggests (rather, it could be as effective, it could be totally ineffective; the problem is we've no idea so it shouldn't be tested with such massive stakes in a live environment).

EDIT: It's worth noting the article makes this pretty clear, but the quotes and title don't make it 'massively' clear that this is where the key issues lie.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Can you post a link to say that? The UK Government has only advocated delaying the second (booster) jab until later, and as far as I am aware not cutting the actual jab dose?
"Later" is a very indeterminate thing in this situation, though. In the UK we clearly do not have the supply and / or capacity to deliver vaccination at the scale we need - hence this attempt to stretch capacity - so who's to say people will even be able to get a second dose before autumn, and the possible next wave of infection? That may prove to be as good as "never".

I'm normally fairly optimistic about these things, but right now there's a lot being left unsaid - and it's being left that way for a very clear purpose. Twelve weeks is just far enough out to be constantly adjusted until people forget it was ever promised in the first place.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
No you're right, I was thinking about how they were delaying it for 12 weeks and also how it's ok to mix vaccines in some circumstances

Thanks. I think the whole mix of vaccines was down to the NYT and their article - the BMJ have asked the NYT to correct their article - it seems that the UK PHE stance is not to mix any of the vaccines

www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: BMJ urges NYT to correct vaccine 'mixing' article

The medical journal's editor says UK guidelines don't recommend giving different coronavirus jabs.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a surprise? I thought this was one of the less controversial facts about the vaccines, especially after the Oxford drama with the initial half-dosage.