• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
FYI to everyone on ERA as I'm sure most of us here are buying whatever hand sanitizer we can find at stores.

FDA advises consumers not to use any hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico, due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. FDA has identified the following products manufactured by Eskbiochem:

• All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
  • Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
  • Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
  • The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
  • Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
FDA tested samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ. Lavar Gel contains 81 percent (v/v) methanol and no ethyl alcohol, and CleanCare No Germ contains 28 percent (v/v) methanol. Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects.

www.fda.gov

FDA Advises Consumers Not to Use Eskbiochem Hand Sanitizers

FDA Advises Consumers Not to Use Eskbiochem Hand Sanitizers due to the potential presence of methanol

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
SmartCare hand sanitizer is the only sanitzer I can find....I'm assuming its good and has no affiliation with CleanCare lol....

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like cause of the shortage at the start of the lockdowns I have a random assortment of hand sanitizers. Blegh. Going to have to keep the list handy as I find the various bottles I've got.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Would be nice if they included pictures of the products. I can't remember the name of every hand sanitizer I've used but I know what the bottles look like.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stuck to soap instead of hand sanitizer when everyone was hoarding at the start of the lockdowns.

You made the right call. Hand washing is where it's at.

skin-cross-section.jpg

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I only ever have Purell, Germ X, or the little Bath and Body Works ones so it looks like I'm A-OK

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I've been really hesitant to purchase hand sanitizer from unknown companies and this isn't helping. When I do find some stock I try and get a few at a time.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
FDA have laxed a lot of regulations around hand sanitizers and basically have halted any OTC certifications/validations that need to be done for efficacy and safety due to COVID.

I run a lab that does testing and requests for ethanol are through the roof. There is a lot of bad ethanol out there and these "start-up" companies trying to take advantage of the situation have no idea what they're doing and are buying any ethanol they can get their hands on.

-Methanol
-Acetal
-Acetaldehyde
-Benzene
-tert/iso butanol

Common things I see in samples.

If your hand sanitizer doesn't smell like regular ethanol or has an odor like a tequila, rum, or rubbing alcohol, don't use it.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the title I knew that toxic ingredient must be methanol. I have a friend in Thailand who is a chemist professor and his lab took in hundreds of off-brand sanitizers in the market to do component analysis, and nearly 30% of them used methanol. It's dangerous as fuck. Methanol can be absorbed through skin and cause permanent blindness in serious case.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Bah.

Yeah, methanol is the really scary version of alcohol that used to be in rubbing alcohol.

It was replaced with ethyl alcohol because back when the US tried prohibition, people turned to rubbing alcohol to get their fix, and went blind.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FDA have laxed a lot of regulations around hand sanitizers and basically have halted any OTC certifications/validations that need to be done for efficacy and safety due to COVID.

I run a lab that does testing and requests for ethanol are through the roof. There is a lot of bad ethanol out there and these "start-up" companies trying to take advantage of the situation have no idea what they're doing and are buying any ethanol they can get their hands on.

-Methanol
-Acetal
-Acetaldehyde
-Benzene
-tert/iso butanol

Common things I see in samples.

If your hand sanitizer doesn't smell like regular ethanol or has an odor like a tequila, rum, or rubbing alcohol, don't use it.

I'm in a similar business. It's scary the number of people who have thought they can use ethanol denatured with methanol to make hand sanitizer.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Hand sanitizers should only be used as a last resort if you can't wash your hands right away. It should not the the main way you protect yourself from contamination from touching surfaces .

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
You think you're better than us?!

I can't imagine touching a subway pole and then not touching anything else until getting to a sink.
Just make a habit of not touching your face, then wipe your phone with a sanitizing wipes and washing your hands whenever you get home/get to your office/indoors.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The non-gel type hand sanitizers you see on shelves at the store no one is buying... I went to a shop not long ago that was using one of those, and it smelled awful. Something is wrong with the formula they're using for those, so it's not surprising to see this report as well as learning from what y'all posted that they relaxed regulations.

One of them I used smelled like straight up tequila.