• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Newly released data confirmed on Tuesday that Moderna's coronavirus vaccine is highly protective, setting the stage for its emergency authorization this week by federal regulators and the start of its distribution across the country.

The Food and Drug Administration intends to authorize use of the vaccine on Friday, people familiar with the agency's plans said. The decision would give millions of Americans access to a second coronavirus vaccine beginning as early as Monday.

Moderna's vaccine worked equally well in white volunteers and in communities of color. There was also no significant difference between its protection for men and women, or between healthy volunteers and those at risk of severe Covid-19 who had conditions like obesity and diabetes. For people 65 and older, the trial provided an estimated efficacy of 86.4 percent, lower than the overall estimate of 94.1 percent. But the apparent difference was not statistically significant.

So far, two potential differences between the vaccines have emerged from the F.D.A.'s reviews, but the findings may reflect a shortage of data rather than genuine differences. The Pfizer-BioNTech trial showed that their vaccine started to protect against the coronavirus within about 10 days of the first dose. The trial of Moderna's vaccine, by contrast, did not reveal such a striking effect after the first dose.

But fewer cases of Covid-19 occurred among trial participants in the early days of the Moderna trial, making it harder to measure differences between the vaccinated group and the placebo group. In any case, health officials have said that for both vaccines, two doses are essential for full protection.

A second difference involves the ability to prevent severe disease. Moderna produced more evidence that its vaccine can do so, according to the review. In its trial, 30 volunteers developed severe cases of Covid. All of them were in the placebo group, with no cases among the people who were vaccinated.

In the Pfizer-BioNTech trial, the findings were less compelling. There were 10 severe cases in the placebo group and one in the vaccinated group. Those numbers are too small to gauge the vaccine's ability to prevent serious illness.

"The available data for these outcomes did not allow for firm conclusions," the F.D.A. said.

The documents published Tuesday made clear that side effects were particularly common after the second dose, but typically lasted only a day. Experts say people may need to take a day off work after getting the shot.

Moderna has requested authorization to vaccinate people 18 and older, like those in its study. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was authorized for people as young as 16, because the trial had some younger volunteers. Both companies are running trials on children as young as 12 and have plans to start studying even younger children.

Distribution of about six million doses could then begin next week, significantly adding to the millions of doses already being shipped by Pfizer and BioNTech, the companies that developed the first coronavirus vaccine given emergency clearance just last Friday. Health care workers received the first shots on Monday of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which has an efficacy rate of 95 percent.

The federal government signed deals last summer with Moderna and Pfizer to deliver a total of 200 million doses in the first quarter of 2021. Because both vaccines require two doses, those contracts guaranteed enough doses for 100 million people.

Last week the government announced that it had purchased another 100 million doses from Moderna for the second quarter, increasing the number of Americans who can be vaccinated to 150 million. But that still leaves the question of how and when the roughly 180 million other Americans will be covered.
www.nytimes.com

Moderna Vaccine Is Highly Protective and Prevents Severe Covid-19, Data Show

The positive review likely ensures that the F.D.A. will grant emergency authorization for a second coronavirus vaccine this week for millions of Americans.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Will Canada and UK try to race the FDA to approving this one like they did with Pfizer vaccinne?

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I'm assuming this will help speed up distribution in the U.S. Right now they are talking about April - May before the general public can get access to the vaccine.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

Small sample size, but very encouraging

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real question, when the times comes for me can I pick which one I want? Can I be like yo, I want that Moderna, I don't really fuck with Pfizer like that.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Real question, when the times comes for me can I pick which one I want? Can I be like yo, I want that Moderna, I don't really fuck with Pfizer like that.
Doubtful, for most of the next year, it will be hard to actually get a vaccine, demand will be far higher than the supply. For most people it will just be a first come first served thing, where you get whatever vaccine your local hospital or doctor has on site.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My wife's work informed her yesterday that she'll be getting this vaccine in a couple of weeks.

Kind of weird because I guess I won't be getting anything until summer or so (young, healthy adult)?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Fauci said today that the plan is to have a total of ~230 million vaccinated by the end of June.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Did we get a vaccine efficacy percentage for 65+ for Pfizer? In any case great news. Very excited seeing vaccine rollout

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
That's nuts. So assuming kids probably don't need vaccinations right away, that's pretty much everyone, right? So stuff should be reopening/no more social distancing by then?

The specific breakdown was 100 million by the end of March and another 130 million by the end of June.

I think it's an optimistic projection, but it might assume Biden invoking the defense production act, better yields as mass production continues, or more vaccines getting approved.

That said, I don't think we will see no more social distancing until disease spread drops, which is going to be pretty area specific.

Fauci's previously talked about Broadway shows being able to start back up next Fall, so I'd expect that to be a more realistic estimate.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Did we get a vaccine efficacy percentage for 65+ for Pfizer? In any case great news. Very excited seeing vaccine rollout
94%

Pfizer and BioNTech Conclude Phase 3 Study of COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, Meeting All Primary Efficacy Endpoints | pfpfizeruscom

Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose; 170 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were evaluated, with 162 observed in the placebo group versus 8 in the vaccine group Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and...

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The specific breakdown was 100 million by the end of March and another 130 million by the end of June.

I think it's an optimistic projection, but it might assume Biden invoking the defense production act, better yields as mass production continues, or more vaccines getting approved.

That said, I don't think we will see no more social distancing until disease spread drops, which is going to be pretty area specific.

Fauci's previously talked about Broadway shows being able to start back up next Fall, so I'd expect that to be a more realistic estimate.

As long as I get anime conventions and NJPW Wrestle Dynasty, I'm perfectly happy.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
100 Million by end of March would be phenomenal. That's around 1/3 of the adult US population. I'm no epidemiologist so I'd be curious what that means for the rate of continued spread to those not vaccinated, but hopefully this means dramatically lower spread by this spring.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want to be hopeful, but I have no goddamn clue how 100 million people are going to be vaccinated by the end of March. That seems insane.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Efficacy likely wouldn't be enhanced any if you decided to take both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and it would probably only lead to more adverse events than anything. That along with the fact that it would take away vaccine doses from someone else.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
More fantastic news. This is gonna be the one most Americans end up getting I think.

I want to be hopeful, but I have no goddamn clue how 100 million people are going to be vaccinated by the end of March. That seems insane.
I believe 50% of the US population 6 months or older got the flu vaccine last year, so those kinds of numbers aren't too crazy. Granted these are two-dose vaccines so that complicates things a little bit, but it's basically going to be the same process as going into a CVS or Walgreens for a flu shot.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I read in one of these threads that the way the Biotech vaccine is rolling out is USA gets a few shipments this month and January and then absolutely nothing more until like June because the ones made from Feb->May have been pre-sold to other countries.

Do we know if Moderna is going to be able to keep supplying the USA every month?

Basically, my question is if you want to get a vaccine as a non-medical person and say by February when they're done with group 1 and ready to move to group 2 (non-medical/nursing home people) vaccinations, is it going to be a total rush to try to get in with the group 2 february vaccinations because otherwise there won't be any more left until the summer, or will it be like every month they'll vaccinate more and more people so if you miss february, you'll still be able to get it in March/April? I'm in group 2 but towards the back. I want to be optimistic I can get a vaccination shot by March/April. June/July is so far away...

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I read in one of these threads that the way the Biotech vaccine is rolling out is USA gets a few shipments this month and January and then absolutely nothing more until like June because the ones made from Feb->May have been pre-sold to other countries.

Do we know if Moderna is going to be able to keep supplying the USA every month?

Basically, my question is if you want to get a vaccine as a non-medical person and say by February when they're done with group 1 and ready to move to group 2 (non-medical/nursing home people) vaccinations, is it going to be a total rush to try to get in with the group 2 february vaccinations because otherwise there won't be any more left until the summer, or will it be like every month they'll vaccinate more and more people so if you miss february, you'll still be able to get it in March/April? I'm in group 2 but towards the back. I want to be optimistic I can get a vaccination shot by March/April. June/July is so far away...
I wouldn't worry about it TBH. Don't forget the US has ordered several other vaccines that are in late stage trials right now.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even care if it has 0% immunity as long as it eliminates the bigger symptoms that can cause death and other major issues. I still want it asap. Not worried about being immune, I just want the disease to be neutered to not be a big deal.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
YAAAAAS.

Moderna is the shit. Now if Oxford can catch up and get a third vaccine in the mix then we can really start turning the tide.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Fauci said with Pfizer and Moderna we'll have 40 million doses by the end of the month. Pretty amazing stuff.