• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

CNBC: FDA approves second Covid vaccine for emergency use as it clears Moderna's for U.S. distribution

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Moderna's coronavirusvaccine for emergency use. The vaccine — the second approved for use in the U.S. behind Pfizer and BioNTech's — bolsters the U.S. supply of doses. The potentially lifesaving shots are desperately needed to fend off the pandemic that has taken more than 300,000 American lives and overwhelmed hospitals.
The FDA's emergency use authorization approves the federal government's plan to distribute roughly 5.9 million doses of Moderna's vaccine to 64 states, territories and major cities across the nation next week.

"We likely will see shots in the arm by the very early part of next week, I would hope Monday or Tuesday," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on the "Today" show on Friday morning.

In addition to Moderna's vaccine, the U.S. also plans to send out 2 million doses of Pfizer's vaccine after 2.9 million doses were cleared for shipment this week, Gen. Gustave Perna, who oversees logistics for the Operation Warp Speed vaccine project, said Monday. Both vaccines require two doses three to four weeks apart. Moderna's Covid vaccine is its first-ever FDA authorized product.

U.S. officials hope to vaccinate at least 20 million Americans — mostly front-line health-care workers and nursing home residents — by the end of the year. Initial doses will be limited as manufacturing ramps up, with officials predicting it will take months to immunize everyone in the U.S. who wants to be vaccinated. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has provided states with an outline that recommends prioritizing health workers and nursing homes, but states can distribute the vaccine as they see fit.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Great news

The increased number being distributed (compared to Pfizer) in the initial allotment will help out in the setting of the recently reported cutbacks with the shipments of Pfizer

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's group at the hospital got the Pfizer already but glad this is going out. My wife's group was 100% of eligible employees elected to get the vaccination which is fantastic to hear (non-eligible being if you had covid already or pregnant)

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Two approved and highly effective vaccines before the end of the year. Incredible work. Many said it couldn't happen.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Moderna one will cover more people correct since you only need 1 shot and easier storage compared to the two shot Pfizer correct?

I've always wondered how a two shot vaccine works

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Moderna one will cover more people correct since you only need 1 shot and easier storage compared to the two shot Pfizer correct?

I've always wondered how a two shot vaccine works
Moderna's is two doses 4 weeks apart. But ya it's advantage is that it doesn't need as cold of storage as Pfizer's.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Moderna's is two doses 4 weeks apart. But ya it's advantage is that it doesn't need as cold of storage as Pfizer's.

So both are two doses.... ok. Was reading before someone was explaining how it works actually lol. So it seems even 1 shot would improve survivability and second shot greatly improves immunization strength.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
So far the only one shot vaccine that's far along is Johnson and Johnson's. They're also trialing a two dose regimen at the same time. Should get more data on that one in January.

Either way, science is incredible and it's amazing how far we have come to produce not just 1 but multiple vaccines in such a short amount of time

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
are the mRNA vaccines just easier/faster to develop? Or was it that they already had some research done with these types of vaccines so they were able to get them finished faster?

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Have a question, how long do you have to wait if you had covid in the past? I just got over my case (thankfully a very mild case) so I got immunity for the time being.